***OFFICIAL MICHIGAN AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

He made some excellent points about Carr, shot selection and ball movement early on and then he ran them into the ground.
Exactly, had 4 valid insights for the game and repeated them over and over and over for two hours, who knows whom ever he had dinner with probably heard those for another hour or two.

Easy to pick Robbins as today's MVP, but I am going with Curry who played GREAT when Robbins went out with 2 fouls in 1st half.
I think Johnson is key to this team as well. Plays great d and is a great rebounder, plus he is a great shooter. We need to use him more on offense. Does the little things a team needs. Seems like a great teammate as well, I love him!

He made some excellent points about Carr, shot selection and ball movement early on and then he ran them into the ground.
He definitely has a lot of love for Gabe, too. He was saying what I was thinking...Gabe is due for a hot streak scoring...does all the little things right, tough defender, leads by example, beautiful looking shot.

I realize that isn't a popular opinion but I don't find him as annoying as others do. I'm also a fan of most of the announcers on the Big Ten network. Hummel has been good this year.

In terms of analysis, I don't mind him at all. I think his non-stop talking is what annoys people.

And the points he makes early that dont show up in the game? He ignores them and never mentions it again to now be wrong. Early on Wagner was best NBA prospect in the conference. He struggled, so he forgets that point and goes back to hammering others.

To be fair, I think he actually said that Wagner is the best NBA prospect in the NBA.

You may be right, but if it weren't for Dakich's blatant criticism of the Gophers in the Illinois game - and he ripped them to shreds, in terms of coaching and execution and effort - I'm not sure they'd have won 4 of those first big 8 games. It's pretty clear to me how differently they played before and after that game. I see a LOT more passing now. I'm also starting to see better defense. Both were missing the first part of this season, including during the undefeated non-conference part. I highly doubt that the Gophers being vilified on national TV by Dakich played no part in the turn in their play thereafter. At the very least, the coaching staff was listening to the criticism...

You may be right, but if it weren't for Dakich's blatant criticism of the Gophers in the Illinois game - and he ripped them to shreds, in terms of coaching and execution and effort - I'm not sure they'd have won 4 of those first big 8 games. It's pretty clear to me how differently they played before and after that game. I see a LOT more passing now. I'm also starting to see better defense. Both were missing the first part of this season, including during the undefeated non-conference part. I highly doubt that the Gophers being vilified on national TV by Dakich played no part in the turn in their play thereafter. At the very least, the coaching staff was listening to the criticism...
That ain’t it.

saw a guy tweeting today that Nebraska is still having significant covid issues and there is a good chance that game will be postponed.

Maybe Dakich should be coaching Gophers. 🤔

Part of the gopher's success is due to dakich? Certainly some posters dont think highly of our head coach, but would be sad if he couldnt evaluate the illinois game without help from an announcer. Besides i think pitino would choose being fired rather than listening to two hours of dakich.

Last edited:

Hah, I was wondering if there would be a lot of comments about Dakich and every post on the last page of the thread mentions him. I think he makes some good points, but on the other hand it's so noticeable that he (Dakich) is doing the game as opposed to most other broadcasters. He takes it over in a way like Bill Walton, but without being as entertaining (though I don't think I'd enjoy Walton calling a game I really cared about either).

I thought the defense was the key to this game as it was consistently very good. The only 2 negatives in the entire game on the defensive end were not locating Michgan's 3 point shooter in transition and giving up a bunch of offensive board late in garbage team. Pretty much every half court possession was locked in and I thought this might have been Carr's best game on the defensive end of the floor as a Gopher.

Offensively, it was more up and down. If you watch the game in the first half around the time the score was 14-8 Gophers, Minnesota had 7 poor shots in a row (all one shot possessions). They then got a good shot (Carr missed layup) and then 2 or 3 more bad shots (the Tre Williams 3 attempts were near the end of this stretch. The Gophers were lucky to make 3 of these poor shots (long jumpers X3 by Curry, Mashburn Jr, and Curry again) and that combined with good defense on the other end allowed them to maintain a lead during a stretch that could have gotten really ugly. I think if you go back to Dakich and his talk about shot selection and benching guys, he does have a point but it's a no win situation for Pitino. Carr is the biggest culprit and him taking bad shots encourages others to follow suit. Unfortunately, if you sit him your only option is Mashburn who is not playing well and is also prone to taking poor shots while being less of a distributor. When the ball moved, the offense was pretty good and it was impressive to hold a lead for so much game time without making a single three until the second half.

If I have a concern about the game it was the Ihnen, Mashburn, Williams group continues to underwhelm. The starting 5 seems to get better and better and when Curry can play using mostly his mind and not his body (like Saturday) he can be effective. Unfortuately outside of those 6 the best contribution was Sam Freeman playing solid on couple offense/defense substitutions in the first half to spare Robbins from foul trouble.

It was fun to see Robbins rise up to the challenge of Dickinson. There haven't been many Gophers in recent years who bounce back to win a matchup like that after being dominated previously.

Last thing that occurred to me. Michigan shot 6-22 from 3 and was missing a starting guard. If the shoe was on the other foot there would be some posters excusing a Gopher loss and suggesting there was nothing they could do. The way Michigan shot the ball had a lot to do with the Gopher defense and Minnesota deserves praise.

Wow, one of the best game games at Williams Arena and we are not able to watch it in person.

If Richard Pitino can take this Gophers squad far into the Big Ten and NCAA, maybe he can start attracting talent .

Wow, one of the best game games at Williams Arena and we are not able to watch it in person.

If Richard Pitino can take this Gophers squad far into the Big Ten and NCAA, maybe he can start attracting talent .
Obviously he has some talent or we would not have done what we have this year. I get what you are saying though- perhaps this will be the catalyst for showing young locals that Pitino can coach and win here in Minnesota.

This is Pitino's most talented team top to bottom- no doubt. The team a few years ago may have had as good or better of a starting lineup but this team is far deeper. We are also seeing glimpses of a roster with a bright future when we see Ihnen, Mitchell, Freeman and Mashburn out there. Lots of your talent that can be developed there. Now we need some more of the young locals to buy in.

Maybe a miracle will happen and Chet Holmgren will get his Pohto Op with the Gophers. This may open the flood gates for local kids to flip interest in the Gophers.

Obviously he has some talent or we would not have done what we have this year. I get what you are saying though- perhaps this will be the catalyst for showing young locals that Pitino can coach and win here in Minnesota.

This is Pitino's most talented team top to bottom- no doubt. The team a few years ago may have had as good or better of a starting lineup but this team is far deeper. We are also seeing glimpses of a roster with a bright future when we see Ihnen, Mitchell, Freeman and Mashburn out there. Lots of your talent that can be developed there. Now we need some more of the young locals to buy in.

I agree with this post 100%. This is a very talented team. And they play defense. And now are starting to rebound well, and move the ball and take the ball to the basket or throw it inside.

Of course, they need to figure out how to play on the road as all of the things I just said seem to fall apart on the road. At home though, they have been very impressive.

Now with our schedule softening, it is time to beat up on some teams, get some road wins and work on seeding in the dance. Lets go.

Maybe a miracle will happen and Chet Holmgren will get his Pohto Op with the Gophers. This may open the flood gates for local kids to flip interest in the Gophers.
Pohto Op! Well played.

Top Bottom