***OFFICIAL MARYLAND AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

And that's a travesty, this team is probably as decent as any of the NIT teams. Look folks, before the season, we all thought this season was going to be pretty rough with Coffey ditching the team. And they were a lot better than anyone thought; a team that plays hard game in game out, just has lost a ton of close games. I know it's frustrating to be a fan of a team that struggles and blows games like this, BUT, the negativity around here really pisses me off.
Sure, it sucks to lose close games. But this team has the legitimate talent to win many of these games, HOWEVER what many here are correctly voicing is that this pattern we are seeing from the coaching is what is causing the team to lose these games. Pitino should not return next year

This much talent?? We have two above average players on the roster. We’re consistently seeing guys falter at the end of the games because they’re dead tired from playing too many minutes. They missed the free throws short because they had no legs.
This isn’t an excuse for Pitino, it‘s an indictment of poor roster management.

Agreed, anyway you cut it. Pitino is at fault.

Do you move on from him or not? If it's my call, I wait to see if Danny O comes back and if he does Pitino actually has a roster with a bit of depth next year. It might be worth going one more year that way and ensure you get the recruits he has already locked up.

If Danny O goes pro, which he will. Team is terrible next year. Burn it down and get someone new in here.

Pitino has been my favorite coach in some time from a personality standpoint. But I cant say I've liked his product on the court any more than any of the last 3 coaches. At least Tubby had a style. I fucking hated it, but at least I knew what it was.

Other teams don't blow multiple games like this per year. Yes, it's mental, the players have no confidence. But some of that has to fall on their coaches. It wasn't just Gabe. Carr couldn't make FT's either. Panicked offensive possessions. Inability to get the ball in. Etc. Etc. Etc.
Every trait you said there is characteristic of players choking. Been there, done that myself. It sucks. It has nothing to do with coaches. If you want to blame Pitino for anything tonight, the big mistake down the stretch was not getting the ball into Oturo's hands on the inbounds where MD was fouling. Oturo was the only one consistently making FTs tonight. Gabe had just alligator-armed the previous, Carr the same. The ball should have gotten to Oturo. Still, as a coach, you have to have confidence that your starting guards will hit FTs. To not show that confidence might, to me, suggest a negative attitude by the coaching staff. But that simply wasn't the case. A couple of pretty good players choked. They will continue to be pretty good in the future, and will be on the good side of all of this in future games. It sucks to be a player, a coach, a fan of this, but I'm not sure what else could/should have been done. Further, a low-end shooter on MD made a 1000-foot contested 3 to end the game, one which hit the side rim. The D there was about perfect. Possession prior to that, their best player missed a long 3 that bounced straight into the hands of MD's only rebounder near the hoop. D was good there too (but someone needed to box out Smith). Sometimes it's just better to be lucky. End of story.

It wasn't all that long ago that a team led by some pretty decent football coach blew yet another big lead, this time in a bowl game. To cap the loss, the other team's kicker had to make a 52-yard FG, or the Gophers would have won. Of course he made it, and the next thing you know, the Gophers hired Tim Brewster and the football program went from pretty decent into the ditch. Am I comparing this situation to that? I guess so. Be careful what you all wish for. We all wish the basketball program was better, and of course part of that lies on the coach. But I'm not sure there is a PJ Fleck available out there to lead the bball program to the top. Maybe. The program has as much chance to fall as rise with a coaching change. I'm indifferent at this point. I'll cheer for them regardless.

Last edited:

Just one question:

Is everyone now cheering for the gophers to lose?

If Richard Pitino had any sort of competence those missed free throws wouldn’t have had any fucking difference in the outcome of this game
If he wasn't competent than we would not have been ahead against the 9th ranked team in the country. He is going to get fired but there is no way in the world that game is on him. The game was lost at the free throw line. We were 11-18 from the line with 2 or 3 missed front ends. Make the free throws and the game is not close.

Just one question:

I want them to beat Becky but lose the rest to ensure there is a change at the head coach position

Last edited:

And that's a travesty, this team is probably as decent as any of the NIT teams. Look folks, before the season, we all thought this season was going to be pretty rough with Coffey ditching the team. And they were a lot better than anyone thought; a team that plays hard game in game out, just has lost a ton of close games. I know it's frustrating to be a fan of a team that struggles and blows games like this, BUT, the negativity around here really pisses me off.

Do you understand the difference between "negativity" and "critical analysis"?

In this thread alone, GopherHolers have reiterated weaknesses in this team, things that if actually addressed would improve this team. That is something people who care about this team and program would do. Negativity would be the "Ha ha! Losers!" comments that would get dropped in.

If he wasn't competent than we would not have been ahead against the 9th ranked team in the country. He is going to get fired but there is no way in the world that game is on him. The game was lost at the free throw line. We were 11-18 from the line with 2 or 3 missed front ends. Make the free throws and the game is not close.

You're crazy, this is such a dumb hill to die on. The game was lost in the last 2 minutes up by 10. Up by 4 with the ball and 30 seconds. Still losing.

You don’t seem to understand, don’t blow a 17 point lead during the second half and you don’t need the free throws.

Two above average players? We have two top players. How many current rosters would you take over other BIG teams? Gabe didn't play "too many minutes".

Yes, two above average players. That doesn’t mean those two are not good to great.
Who else is an above average B1G starter on this team? There are at least 10 rosters I would take top to bottom over ours.

Pitino
7 seasons
Big Ten Record 47-80 36%
That’s good ball!

How many minutes did Cowan play? He made free throws late. Coach must have told him to do that

I normally agree with you I think but this loss is 90% coaching and 10% player fault

What the hell has happened to Gabe! He was good last year. He is PATHETIC this year.

40 for Carr
38 for Oturu
36 for Willis
31 for Kalscheur

The team was gassed yet again.
The depth on this team has been an issue his entire tenure. I hope Willis is OK. If he's not, this win wouldn't have helped us anyway.

Choking is a reflection on the coach.

Just one question:

The reason I ask, is I've wanted Pitino gone for 2 years, so I was cheering for them to lose. It appears this board wants us to lose. How pathetic. Hell, even GopherWriter now wants them to lose.

What the hell is this world coming too?

Agreed, anyway you cut it. Pitino is at fault.

Do you move on from him or not? If it's my call, I wait to see if Danny O comes back and if he does Pitino actually has a roster with a bit of depth next year. It might be worth going one more year that way and ensure you get the recruits he has already locked up.

If Danny O goes pro, which he will. Team is terrible next year. Burn it down and get someone new in here.

Pitino has been my favorite coach in some time from a personality standpoint. But I cant say I've liked his product on the court any more than any of the last 3 coaches. At least Tubby had a style. I fucking hated it, but at least I knew what it was.
You can't decide the fate of a coach based on what one player decides. Especially when he doesn't have to decide that until late May. You decide on Pitino within 48 hours of the season ending, if you haven't already.

You're crazy, this is such a dumb hill to die on. The game was lost in the last 2 minutes up by 10. Up by 4 with the ball and 30 seconds. Still losing.
They weren't up by 10 with under 2 minutes left. The game was consistently in doubt, success riding on whether the Gophers would make FTs or MD would make their shots. The latter happened, but not the former. Therefore, L.

we get it. You tied yourself to Pitino, yelled and screamed at anyone who had the nerve to question him. Refused to see the product for what it is.

Now you're too small to admit you were wrong. We've all been there at some point. You'll get over it.

How many minutes did Cowan play? He made free throws late. Coach must have told him to do that
It was good coaching that let him make his FTs. Purely. Nothing to do with the player.

31 minutes. He has more time than that on the bench with TV timeouts. He choked. He has had a dreadful year
I really do not enjoy calling a player out for inability to make a free throw late as chokers, since we celebrate those that do consistently as clutch. But you are right 22 just failed to make his, and it cost us the game.

Every trait you said there is characteristic of players choking. Been there, done that myself. It sucks. It has nothing to do with coaches. If you want to blame Pitino for anything tonight, the big mistake down the stretch was not getting the ball into Oturo's hands on the inbounds where MD was fouling. Oturo was the only one consistently making FTs tonight. Gabe had just alligator-armed the previous, Carr the same. The ball should have gotten to Oturo. Still, as a coach, you have to have confidence that your starting guards will hit FTs. To not show that confidence might, to me, suggest a negative attitude by the coaching staff. But that simply wasn't the case. A couple of pretty good players choked. They will continue to be pretty good in the future, and will be on the good side of all of this in future games. It sucks to be a player, a coach, a fan of this, but I'm not sure what else could/should have been done. Further, a low-end shooter on MD made a 1000-foot contested 3 to end the game, one which hit the side rim. The D there was about perfect. Possession prior to that, their best player missed a long 3 that bounced straight into the hands of MD's only rebounder near the hoop. D was good there too (but someone needed to box out Smith). Sometimes it's just better to be lucky. End of story.

It wasn't all that long ago that a team led by some pretty decent football coach blew yet another big lead, this time in a bowl game. To cap the loss, the other team's kicker had to make a 52-yard FG, or the Gophers would have won. Of course he made it, and the next thing you know, the Gophers hired Tim Brewster and the football program went from pretty decent into the ditch. Am I comparing this situation to that? I guess so. Be careful what you all wish for. We all wish the basketball program was better, and of course part of that lies on the coach. But I'm not sure there is a PJ Fleck available out there to lead the bball program to the top. Maybe. The program has as much chance to fall as rise with a coaching change. I'm indifferent at this point. I'll cheer for them regardless.

You are concerned that we could fall from 12th to 14th place?

we get it. You tied yourself to Pitino, yelled and screamed at anyone who had the nerve to question him. Refused to see the product for what it is.

Now you're too small to admit you were wrong. We've all been there at some point. You'll get over it.
Your post is quite ironic, given Beeg has the exact same problem you display here in posts elsewhere. But you should read the words Beeg said here; your interpretation is not at all what he said. You are hearing what you want to hearing and disregarding the rest.

Top Bottom