***OFFICIAL MARYLAND AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

The coach is going to get fired because he hasn't won I am not arguing that. The players blew this game. Sorry, that's just a plain fact. Those were the people missing the free throws. You are a small person that is looking to blame someone you can't stand.

Every game you lose is because players miss shots. What if you miss free throws in the first half? Gabe misses shots all game long night in and night out. Carr has games where he misses.

Missing happens. If you think Pitino played no part in this collapse, then I can't help you.

The players choked, but Oturu never touches the ball in these collapses. We can't inbounds the ball ever at the end. Our offensive sets are embarrassing at the end.

Maryland was like 2-19 from three at one point.

Is there anything Pitino is responsible for? Anything?

This.

Any other take is just angry people being stupid and then we can add in a few trolls who are not actual Gopher fans.

I'm not even angry, this season was already over. I don't think Pitino gives our team the best chance to win. We constantly fail to close out games and tonight was another example of that. I'm not even upset this game, but IMO Pitino, again, was out-coached.

That bare cupboard went 25-13, 8-10 in the Big 10 and won the NIT. They delivered one of the highlights in Pitino's career.
True. His incoming freshman class was Alvin Ellis and Gavin Schilling. Remember them?

I see. If the players make shots- good/lucky players. If they miss free throws, dumb coach.
This.

Any other take is just angry people being stupid and then we can add in a fe

Any other take is just angry people being stupid and then we can add in a few trolls who are not actual Gopher fans.
I can play this game. Anyone who thinks blowing multiple games isn't on the coach is angry and really stupid.

I can play this game. Anyone who thinks blowing multiple games isn't on the coach is angry and really stupid.
I am just telling you what happened. The players didn't finish.You are just mad right now and you need a scapegoat. The loss hurts. Don't worry there will be a new coach. It is going to be okay.

I am just telling you what happened. The players didn't finish.You are just mad right now and you need a scapegoat. The loss hurts. Don't worry there will be a new coach. It is going to be okay.
I'm not that mad. I'm used to it and not surprised. And I'm right.

True. His incoming freshman class was Alvin Ellis and Gavin Schilling. Remember them?

They never enrolled because we switched coaches. Alvin Ellis was a contributor at Michigan State (decent program), so I am pretty sure he would have been a contributor at the U. I'm pumped Ricky was able to swap him out for Daquen McNeil (remember him?)

I tried to bring you to the dark side last season. You're just being stubburn.

I'm not sure you're reading the room right. I would never root against the Gophers, but I think tonight's loss actually helps the program in the long run.

Actually it was a little worse. It wasn't Schilling, it was a kid named Foster and yes, as you are hinting neither came here, but Ellis became a role player for MSU in his third and fourth year. Pitino did a great job that year though, took 50 pounds off of Mo, made him into a good center and got a lot out of a limited squad. Tubby hadn't really recruited for two years by then.

Let's hire a coach that recruits players who finish. That way, the coach can play a role in the epic collapses.

I'm not sure you're reading the room right. I would never root against the Gophers, but I think tonight's loss actually helps the program in the long run.
I certainly hope so. I think tonight's room is fully of emotional people who are saying stupid things. I feel bad for the players and the coach. Everyone knows that if the guys made free throws we would have upset the 9th ranked team in the nation. Too bad. I am hoping that we get a great coach in here. I have been through this a lot of times.

I certainly hope so. I think tonight's room is fully of emotional people who are saying stupid things. I feel bad for the players and the coach. Everyone knows that if the guys made free throws we would have upset the 9th ranked team in the nation. Too bad. I am hoping that we get a great coach in here. I have been through this a lot of times.

I don't sense much emotion at all.

Neither you nor I were surprised by that collapse. That's the whole point. No one is surprised at all.

They never enrolled because we switched coaches. Alvin Ellis was a contributor at Michigan State (decent program), so I am pretty sure he would have been a contributor at the U. I'm pumped Ricky was able to swap him out for Daquen McNeil (remember him?)
Tubby would have been toast that year. Ellis as a frosh was zippo. He would not have had Lil Dre who was the catalyst for that team. 300 pound Slow Mo. Pitino did far better that year than Tubby would have. 100%

Every game you lose is because players miss shots. What if you miss free throws in the first half? Gabe misses shots all game long night in and night out. Carr has games where he misses.

Missing happens. If you think Pitino played no part in this collapse, then I can't help you.

The players choked, but Oturu never touches the ball in these collapses. We can't inbounds the ball ever at the end. Our offensive sets are embarrassing at the end.

Maryland was like 2-19 from three at one point.

Is there anything Pitino is responsible for? Anything?

I mean isn’t pitino responsible for Maryland being 2/19 on threes by coaching his players to defend them? You can blame him for the bad but then need to give credit for good. That’s how this works.

Well, you're dead wrong from my perspective. I literally laughed when Maryland hit that three. It's been seven years of this nonsense.

You can continue to play it off as being emotional to avoid the logical conversation. People have laid out numerous things that Pitino did wrong and instead of engaging in a logical debate, you punt.

I'm sorry but you wrote the dumbest thing tonight with it wasn't on the coach. I just can't understand someone not seeing that it wasn't just about missed free throws.

I don't sense much emotion at all.

Neither you nor I were surprised by that collapse. That's the whole point. No one is surprised at all.
Wrong again. I am shocked that our guys did not finish was they most certainly should have and are more than capable of. Missed free throws are on the players. But that's not how you want it to be.

I'm sorry but you wrote the dumbest thing tonight with it wasn't on the coach. I just can't understand someone not seeing that it wasn't just about missed free throws.
Of course it wasn't just the missed free throws! Naturally Morsell had to rattle the 30 footer in to make it all work. How stupid of Pitino to allow that!

Our last 3 home games:
  • Scoreless over last 5:30 against Iowa
  • 2 FGs in last 7:20 against Indiana
  • Blew 17 pt lead against Maryland

Tubby would have been toast that year. Ellis as a frosh was zippo. He would not have had Lil Dre who was the catalyst for that team. 300 pound Slow Mo. Pitino did far better that year than Tubby would have. 100%

You are full of a lot of "ifs".

You say that with so much certainty, it feels like you're talking yourself into that opinion. I won't pretend to know what Tubby would have done with that team. I was simply replying to the post about Gavin Schilling and Alvin Ellis.

Of course it wasn't just the missed free throws! Naturally Morsell had to rattle the 30 footer in to make it all work. How stupid of Pitino to allow that!

The world is so unfair for Ricky. We should give him another 7 years so that his "luck" can turn around.

Ellis averaged 8 mpg his junior year and 19 mpg with 6 ppg senior year. Bga pointed out it was foster not schilling that was incoming in 2013 with Ellis. And I forgot to mention (?‍♂️) that Pitino’s incoming sophomore class was Wally ellenson and Charles Buggs. I’m not going to participate in any more Tubby comparisons (my bad ya’ll) as I was simply responding to another poster. But you are simply wrong if you think the program had any future at that point in time.

Circling back to more contemporary issues... I’m disappointed in Pitino’s inability to find serviceable substitutes this late into his tenure.

Well, you're dead wrong from my perspective. I literally laughed when Maryland hit that three. It's been seven years of this nonsense.

You can continue to play it off as being emotional to avoid the logical conversation. People have laid out numerous things that Pitino did wrong and instead of engaging in a logical debate, you punt.
If i told u 7 years ago that Pitino would have amassed a 47-80 B10 record, the only question is how in the hell did he make it that far?.....That is where we are...Any other discussion is nonsense.

I can think the rational people in here can agree if you think Pitino is the answer you are simply not a smart bball fan.

Second, college coaches in general are the most important coaches on any level. Not only are they in charge of the team on the field/court/rink, but they are the ones who decide and recruit the kids on it. Ryan Saunders doesnt get to pick his team. Pitino made the decision to recruit everyone on the roster.
Third, if you think we have elite talent I have no idea what to tell you except that you are wrong. Oturu is a stud but you people who think hes a lock 25-10 nba guy I'm baffled by. Carr has talent but is erratic. Gabe is a fine role player, Ihnen has some ability Willis is trash, and Demir, Freeman, Greenlee and hurt would be nice role players at UC Davis or samford. That equates to a 12th place B1G team.
Fourth, really no reason to fire Pitino until your next coach is ready to take over. If that's Beilien and hes ready to start tomorrow then fire him today, if you need to wait for a Smith then ride out the year. I think some people here would be shocked how much better this program can be.

HELP US COYLE, YOU'RE OUR ONLY HOPE!

The world is so unfair for Ricky. We should give him another 7 years so that his "luck" can turn around.
I have said about three times in this thread that he is going to get fired. So you maybe failing to read the room here.. Just call him Richard, be decent and don't let your anger show. It's going to be ok. We will get a new coach start over and maybe it will work out. I certainly hope it does and will be excited for the new guy. I am talking about what happened this game.

I hope pitino keeps his job so anyone who said they are done with the gophers if he isn’t fired leaves this site. Would make for an enjoyable experience.

Either way I plan to renew my tickets next year. My biggest issue is with concessions not charging even dollars for items. Why is a water $4.25? I don’t want change.

You're not even trying at this point.

I hope pitino keeps his job so anyone who said they are done with the gophers if he isn’t fired leaves this site. Would make for an enjoyable experience.

Either way I plan to renew my tickets next year. My biggest issue is with concessions not charging even dollars for items. Why is a water $4.25? I don’t want change.
There are people who enjoy being making others miserable more than the sport they watch. Some of them, like Goldteam and USAF would continue to come here. If we get a new coach and are good, they would likely disappear.

After the loss tonight I couldn't help but think of Mason's last football game. We were ahead big time at half against Mike Leach's Texas Tech team. The 2nd half was a nightmare and we lost. Mason was gone shortly after that.

Grant it Maryland is a great team and they have a history of somehow winning games. There is apart of me that wants Pitino to stay as he is refreshing and brutally honest. I really like him. Yet a part of me tells me how do we keep going down the road we do? Is it next year we have the break out year? Would we have won if Coffey was around? Are we going to struggle again if Danny O leaves? On and on it goes.

Top Bottom