***OFFICIAL MARYLAND AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

There would have been idiots that thought Pitino deserved to keep his job if they won that game. That last 10-12 minutes of that game was absolutely horrific. Daniel bailed them out with a block and then a 3 at one point. Marcus Carr bailed them out with a tough floater and 1 (missed the free throw) a bit later. The only open shots I can remember for the Gophers in the second half were an Alihan Demir 3 against the zone and an Ihnen 3 late. They both missed. Was there a single layup for the Gophers? No. Was there even one example of Oturu getting the ball in the post with space to work like Maryland did over and over again with Smith? No. How many turnovers were there? How many late clock prayers thrown up? Maryland had about a million chances to break our hearts in this stretch, they just waited until their last one for maximum pain.

This game should have been put away on a dozen occasions. This team had no answers other than a few standout individual efforts for absolutely anything Maryland did on either end of the floor for about a quarter of the game. What a waste.

Sorry but to start the half our “coach” couldn’t run a play or offense to beat a 1-3-1 zone. Sorry buts that’s on the coach to recognize the defense and make the adjustment. But nope he doesn’t figure it out and bingo they are back in the game

Let's not trash the kids. They're wearing our colors. Just wondering though, what the attendance will be for our first round NIT game?

Well bga and UpandUnder say it isn't Pitino's fault. Seems hard to believe that a collapse like that is just pure luck and no one's fault?

As a long suffering Minnesota sports fan, the final result was a known. The path to get there was the only uncertainty.

why is this the fault of the coach? young men missed free throws at a critical part of the game. grow up. it sucks. like you guys would have made them. they tried their best. move on to the next game
Participation awards for everyone!

Uffda. Free throws. And the terrible offensive set when Carr air balled the three. So terribly hard to watch. Choke city. The sad part is we had the guys we wanted shooting. Carr and Kalschuer. They missed. Damn.

team hasn’t learned how to win yet. no excuses. we are young, we have no seniors, we have one junior. these late game situation happen when you have no depth and your staters are tired. roster construction cannot continue to leave us in these situations.

Maryland made a tough shot. tip the hat.

I hope we never see a team with this much talent fail so hard again.

This much talent?? We have two above average players on the roster. We’re consistently seeing guys falter at the end of the games because they’re dead tired from playing too many minutes. They missed the free throws short because they had no legs.
This isn’t an excuse for Pitino, it‘s an indictment of poor roster management.

As a long suffering Minnesota sports fan, the final result was a known. The path to get there was the only uncertainty.
Basically. Watching it on DVR it was hard not to fast forward to the end.

And there is the other half of it, Gabe and Carr are both gassed at the end of the game because our bench is so weak they have nothing left at the end. On the coach for not developing it enough .

losing a 17 point lead regardless of free throws is pathetic.
Agreed. Missed shots, bad passes and poor defense led to that as much as scheme. Pitino isn’t perfect but anyone who thinks the players are blameless is wrong.

This much talent?? We have two above average players on the roster. We’re consistently seeing guys falter at the end of the games because they’re dead tired from playing too many minutes. They missed the free throws short because they had no legs.
We have one great player who's the best we've had in years. One very good PG and about 5 average players and 5 below average players.

In any one moment yes. When your team shoots FT's in the closing minute with their hands around their neck, it's a reflection of the coaching staff.
I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. Players choking is a mental issue only the most elite world athletes can solve, and even they often choke. It's just unfortunate that players choking seems to be more common in MN sports than elsewhere. I don't know what that has to do with "coaching staff".

hard to believe Gabe was so exhausted playing 28 minutes or whatever he did.

They have better players than we do. Oturo is great. Carr is pretty good for what he is asked to do. After that we’ve got nothing. Hard to believe we had a chance.

I'm sure Duke, Kentucky, Kansas,..etc fans have that same mentality
I have never heard Duke, Kentucky or any fans say "The young men played hard. We lost. Move on to the next game." They don't accept mediocrity, but here in Minnesota it is the mother's milk that keeps us above average.

This game was my breaking point. The team could barely inbound the ball with the season on the line and then choked the game away at the line. I don’t know how anyone could want to be content with this, I don’t have high expectations but enough is enough. This is just miserable now. Time to fire Pitino.

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. Players choking is a mental issue only the most elite world athletes can solve, and even they often choke. It's just unfortunate that players choking seems to be more common in MN sports than elsewhere. I don't know what that has to do with "coaching staff".
Other teams don't blow multiple games like this per year. Yes, it's mental, the players have no confidence. But some of that has to fall on their coaches. It wasn't just Gabe. Carr couldn't make FT's either. Panicked offensive possessions. Inability to get the ball in. Etc. Etc. Etc.

We have to have a winning record. That will most likely not occur.
And that's a travesty, this team is probably as decent as any of the NIT teams. Look folks, before the season, we all thought this season was going to be pretty rough with Coffey ditching the team. And they were a lot better than anyone thought; a team that plays hard game in game out, just has lost a ton of close games. I know it's frustrating to be a fan of a team that struggles and blows games like this, BUT, the negativity around here really pisses me off.

Two above average players? We have two top players. How many current rosters would you take over other BIG teams? Gabe didn't play "too many minutes".

And that's a travesty, this team is probably as decent as any of the NIT teams. Look folks, before the season, we all thought this season was going to be pretty rough with Coffey ditching the team. And they were a lot better than anyone thought; a team that plays hard game in game out, just has lost a ton of close games. I know it's frustrating to be a fan of a team that struggles and blows games like this, BUT, the negativity around here really pisses me off.
A travesty? It's the NIT. Nobody cares.

Agreed. Missed shots, bad passes and poor defense led to that as much as scheme. Pitino isn’t perfect but anyone who thinks the players are blameless is wrong.
Players play...Coaches coach.....Three straight dismal second halves at home.....Good coaches put that on themselves and learn from it....Richard has never done that and that is why he will be gone in April.

Maryland had a guy at the line in the last 2 minutes of the game who is second in the league in minutes played...........he drained them both! In other words, he had his legs.

Top Bottom