***OFFICIAL MARYLAND AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

The game showed clearly that these young players need a good year to two until they are great. It showed that the older players are not "great" material.

This is just like when Steve Pikiell became coach of Rutgers. It took him a good 4 years until he developed his players to be very good. Why did Pikiell's teams stink his first 2-3 years? The players were not good.

This team is not good. It will take a year or two to develop the young players into very good or great. The older ones, it's not going to happen.

Gophers win by 5 and 6…if you don’t combine Maryland’s halves.

Games like this would be tougher if we weren't assured of the #1 pick. Tank for Dennis is a resounding success.

The game showed clearly that these young players need a good year to two until they are great. It showed that the older players are not "great" material.

This is just like when Steve Pikiell became coach of Rutgers. It took him a good 4 years until he developed his players to be very good. Why did Pikiell's teams stink his first 2-3 years? The players were not good.

This team is not good. It will take a year or two to develop the young players into very good or great. The older ones, it's not going to happen.
Good point! 👍

I left the game early. I never do that. Never. Several people did.

I watched the women's hockey team earlier that day -- a machine. This basketball team is not in the same league.

Both basketball teams are not in the league of the two hockey teams. They stink.

It's not as simple as "the coach Johnson ruined these amazing players." Maybe it's a few things.

I don't think there's disagreement this game sucked. That does not mean, "See, I told you Johnson is bad." Why it's bad is not so simple. And maybe Johnson is part of that.

Why watch if it is painful?
There were many other games on that were interesting if you needed to watch college BB.

Steve Pikiell is the new Dennis Evans. A sentence never before uttered

Well, they didn't set a record for a seasonal loss deficit this time at least. I thought they were going to.
This was Maryland's largest road win as a member of the B1G. And tied for their largest B1G win ever. Still record setting. I'm sure they won an ACC game by more at some point though.

Ben needs them to play basketball, who cares if they lose by 30 or only have 5 guys left by the end of the game. The zone they have been playing is for 5th graders, not the Big Ten. Play man, use Ramberg and Thompson more to alleviate the foul problem, it can't be any worse than its been.

Payne 14 points 6 rebounds.
Henley 8 points 7 rebounds 4 assists.
Ola-Joseph 8 points 3 rebounds.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. These kind of numbers as freshmen translate to being good players as juniors...when our rebuild should show results. Which can be sustainable results with recruiting.

So let me see if I can get this right. In the future, Ben Johnson can be like Steve Pikiell and Dennis Evans can be like...well...Dennis Evans.

Payne 14 points 6 rebounds.
Henley 8 points 7 rebounds 4 assists.
Ola-Joseph 8 points 3 rebounds.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. These kind of numbers as freshmen translate to being good players as juniors...when our rebuild should show results. Which can be sustainable results with recruiting.
They've lost their last 3 games by a combined 95 points. They won't all be here as juniors.

Johnson on BTN: "Don't blame our players. Take it out on me. Let me take all the hate, all the burden."

This was Maryland's largest road win as a member of the B1G. And tied for their largest B1G win ever. Still record setting. I'm sure they won an ACC game by more at some point though.
also Maryland's largest margin this season. for a more lopsided game, have to go back to the terps first game last season when they beat fayetteville state by 49

also Maryland's largest margin this season. for a more lopsided game, have to go back to the terps first game last season when they beat fayetteville state by 49
Some day we can ascend to the level of St. Peter's.

Ben needs them to play basketball, who cares if they lose by 30 or only have 5 guys left by the end of the game. The zone they have been playing is for 5th graders, not the Big Ten. Play man, use Ramberg and Thompson more to alleviate the foul problem, it can't be any worse than its been.

I'm guessing that with the injuries piled up.....that the coaches hands are kind of tied in terms of what they can run. Seven or eight deep is tough with what's available. Payne and JOJ aren't yet conditioned for 30+ minutes a night.

Yes, that is my new pin move because it's a valid argument that I want people to think about. Are the comparisons legit? What makes them different.

If a certain coach was great but his team stunk, why was that?

If this team stinks, why is that?

But the other team stunk and had little to do with the coach.

When people point out specific details that look bad from a coaching point of view, that is convincing. Why are they running this bland defense. Why are they not switching out of that still. They still haven't figured out ______________. Those details convince.

Show, don't tell.

How many injuries does the team have? Someone gives an explanation but leaves that completely out, I'm not going to respect you. Someone laughably says the team is not young but in fact veteran, sorry, you are not believable. That person says it's the coach. Maybe it is but it's not believable as presented.

Top Bottom