***OFFICIAL MARYLAND AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Such a dumb take. You think our options are either be ok losing by 30 multiple games in a row or don't watch. If you say that then I should tell you to quit looking at this site when we lose, it will just make you happy
That's a fair point...to tell me to not look at this site because it gets me too riled-up.

However...there should be honesty. You guys should admit that you have no interest in recruiting or development. In fact, we shouldn't even bother to discuss recruiting in here. Because you expect immediate winning.

That's a fair point...to tell me to not look at this site because it gets me too riled-up.

However...there should be honesty. You guys should admit that you have no interest in recruiting or development. In fact, we shouldn't even bother to discuss recruiting in here. Because you expect immediate winning.
Not at all the case. I don't expect a final 4 in 1 year. I do expect 2 years in to not be losing consecutive games by 30. If it's a slow build it at least should show progress. That is clearly not the case.

There are about 17 different GH threads that do just that if he wants to page through them to see what Gophers fans think about him.
This is a phenomenon that never changes. Circumstances never matter. I still encourage this board to start following recruiting.

Prior to the suspension of those three players for the last three games of the year, that team had actually played pretty well for the last half of the conference season. We talk about youth a bunch as it relates to the current Gophers team, but the Pitino year three outfit wasn't blessed with nearly the experience of Battle, Garcia, Cooper, and Samuels. It was basically Joey King and a bunch of freshman and sophomore Nate Mason They played a number of ranked teams tough, eventually knocking off #6 Maryland (ironically). It would be nice to see our current young guys show some growth in the last ten games of the conference season. The first two? Uffda. Eight more.
This is all correct.

Not at all the case. I don't expect a final 4 in 1 year. I do expect 2 years in to not be losing consecutive games by 30. If it's a slow build it at least should show progress. That is clearly not the case.
Ben, unlike Clem, had a true Year Zero. His first recruits are freshmen this year.

This board should start following recruiting. That's the way to upgrade talent.
My biggest issue with the people in your camp.

The antiquated guide on how to get better in college sports

Step 1. Hire a new coach
Step 2. Have only freshman and maybe a few sophomore on the team
Step 3. Lose almost every game in years 1-3, it's not fair for freshman or sophomore to be expected to win!!
Step 4. In year 4 maybe get to 500, ya know its not fair for a coach to only have 1 recruiting cycle, he needed to show future kids his progress
Step 5. Years 5-8 take a step back, ya know we have a tough conference. It's not fair to expect winning all the time.
Step 6. Year 9 make the tournament as an 11 seed. We did it, showed that progress!
Step 7. Year 10-11 now we get better kids but they are young, again not fair for young kids expected to win BUT remember they are highly regarded so you can't fire the coach even if they fell back to 13th in the conference
Step 8. Year 12-14 we finally hit everything perfect, it's our year! We did it, we finished 7th in the conference! We got an 8 seed, so what we lost rd 1 again, in just 8 more years we will be beck, maybe this time as a 6 seed!!!!!

Glad you people think that losing by 30 is considered success. I'm sure Ben will hand out 14th place ribbons to the guys, make them feel all cuddly inside!

Ben, unlike Clem, had a true Year Zero. His first recruits are freshmen this year.
He recruited portal players last year…but he chose for them to be srs. He deliberately put this program into the dumpster for another year. Why didn’t he get JRs last year in the portal? It would’ve created continuity and allowed for the freshmen to be slowly worked in the year upon EARNING minutes.

HE DID THIS BY CHOICE!

He recruited portal players last year…but he chose for them to be srs. He deliberately put this program into the dumpster for another year. Why didn’t he get JRs last year in the portal? It would’ve created continuity and allowed for the freshmen to be slowly worked in the year upon EARNING minutes.

HE DID THIS BY CHOICE!
Because he wanted Seniors to fill a slot for one year, and then to use that slot when he had a full year to recruit freshmen. He's trying to build for the long term vs use the portal to win in the short term. Either approach can work, he's doing the former. With all the injuries, this team is indeed hurting, but freshman are certainly getting a lot of minutes. I'm still upbeat for next year.

Because he wanted Seniors to fill a slot for one year, and then to use that slot when he had a full year to recruit freshmen. He's trying to build for the long term vs use the portal to win in the short term. Either approach can work, he's doing the former. With all the injuries, this team is indeed hurting, but freshman are certainly getting a lot of minutes. I'm still upbeat for next year.
I'm not !!!

Player development has been zero .
I'm seeing no improvement from any returning player from last year & none this year from start until now.
Why should I believe it will be different next year ?

I'm not !!!

I'm seeing no improvement from any returning player from last year & none this year from start until now.
Payne, Ola Joseph and Henley are all showing improvement. The older guys- Battle is significantly worse this year, Cooper is sagging midseason. Samuels is overmatched as is Thompson.

The funny thing is...if Ben's rebuild works and we're good in 2 years...everyone here will say they were right all along with all their wrong opinions. That always happens. It's literally like college BB & FB fans are totally delusional. I've seen this over & over.

The funny thing is...if Ben's rebuild works and we're good in 2 years...everyone here will say they were right all along with all their wrong opinions. That always happens. It's literally like college BB & FB fans are totally delusional. I've seen this over & over.
That's not true. When Ben was 11-1 or whatever it was last year, there were a number of doubters, myself included who participated positively in a post saying we were wrong.

Listen Pilgrim- this is awful right now. We all hope it gets better but this is something that deserves complaining. Here's my guess, if it continues to be bad- you will adopt a new screen name in two years.

Payne, Ola Joseph and Henley are all showing improvement. The older guys- Battle is significantly worse this year, Cooper is sagging midseason. Samuels is overmatched as is Thompson.
Can we say Payne, Ola Joseph and Henley are improving? Or, because of the injuries that happen every single year for Gopher basketball are they just getting more minutes than earlier. Therefore their stats are improved.
Is Payne better or did we finally emphasize getting him the ball in the lane versus 25 feet from the basket?
Henley has always shown potential....he does some nice things but are his wtf was that actions much less?...does he still look lost at the free throw line?
The body language and routines of these guys shooting free throws is ridiculous. This obviously is not a point of emphasis....to establish a routine so you practice your routine and duplicate it in the game. You show confidence because in practice you made 20 some of 25 and you know you can make free throws. It shows! We look confused, worried and lost at the line with no plan.

That's not true. When Ben was 11-1 or whatever it was last year, there were a number of doubters, myself included who participated positively in a post saying we were wrong.

Listen Pilgrim- this is awful right now. We all hope it gets better but this is something that deserves complaining. Here's my guess, if it continues to be bad- you will adopt a new screen name in two years.

"Liberty Valance is the toughest man south of the Picket Wire - next to me!"

I'm not !!!

I'm a "glass half-full" person, always taking the upbeat side. We'll have at least four new players from this year (I'm counting Fox and Ihnen as "new), with current players being a year stronger and having a year's playing experience, and (hopefully) some bench depth for both practice and games. The later is probably the biggest impact versus the past couple of games.

This just isn't true.
Fox was a multi-year transfer.
Battle was a multi-year transfer.
Garcia is a multi-year transfer.
Cooper is a multi-year transfer.
We backfilled one of the 1 year transfers with another (much worse) 1 year transfer in Samuels.

The narrative that Ben is trying to build through freshman and not the portal is just flat out wrong. He has just done a really bad job with the portal. The only injury that has had any impact on us is the Garcia injury and we were the worst team in the Big 10 prior to that injury. Without him, sh!t, we might be the worst team in the history of the Big 10 (hyperbole).

Ben isn't choosing to do it with just recruiting FR.
If Ben continues to be this bad with portal players, we are screwed. It's part of basketball. Adapt or die.
If he doesn't adapt soon, there is no hope. We don't have any guards next year. If he doesn't recognize this need, we won't win 5 games in the Big 10 next year.

Yeah but there was no doubt that we'd be bad last year. No debate. And we ended up being bad.

This time there's a legitimate debate. About the basics of college basketball. And guys rarely admit they are wrong in these cases.

Yeah but there was no doubt that we'd be bad last year. No debate. And we ended up being bad.

This time there's a legitimate debate. About the basics of college basketball. And guys rarely admit they are wrong in these cases.
Doesn't really matter what people do or don't admit, the teams record will tell the tale.

Legitimate debate? About what?

Top Bottom