Official 2024 Roster Movement Thread - Who's In and Who's Out?

When these kids/young men accept scholarships from The U, are they guaranteed four-year scholarships, or are they one-year scholarships renewed annually for four years?
The latter, and that's led to some controversy over the years in college sports. Not so much here that I know of, but definitely at some big time programs.
For scholarships from MN, I believe it's the former, not the latter. In the B1G, unless they recently made a policy change, as long as you're making academic progress toward graduation, scholarships are automatically renewed. If you're injured and can no longer participate in the sports program, you still get your scholarship (but it's no longer counted against the team's cap).

For scholarships from MN, I believe it's the former, not the latter. In the B1G, unless they recently made a policy change, as long as you're making academic progress toward graduation, scholarships are automatically renewed. If you're injured and can no longer participate in the sports program, you still get your scholarship (but it's no longer counted against the team's cap).
Now that you say that, I think you're right. I have a co-worker whose daughter was an athlete at the U and got injured, ending her career, but she still gets to complete school on her scholarship.

Legit never heard of the last two: Lewis and Jorgenson. Who are they?

Jorgenson is a kid from Fairmont. I was a little surprised he took a PWO offer from MN. I saw him as more of a D2 type of athlete. but some kids just want to see how they stack up at the D1 level.

I knew a kid in Iowa who walked on at Iowa State. never came close to sniffing the field. wound up transferring to a D3 school as a QB and helped them make a couple of nice runs in the D3 playoffs. But he said he wanted to give D1 a shot to see if he could compete at that level. can't blame a kid for trying.

Jorgenson is a kid from Fairmont. I was a little surprised he took a PWO offer from MN. I saw him as more of a D2 type of athlete. but some kids just want to see how they stack up at the D1 level.

I knew a kid in Iowa who walked on at Iowa State. never came close to sniffing the field. wound up transferring to a D3 school as a QB and helped them make a couple of nice runs in the D3 playoffs. But he said he wanted to give D1 a shot to see if he could compete at that level. can't blame a kid for trying.
Yeah, can't fault the walk ons who decide to transfer. Take a shot at playing D1 but if you see it isn't likely to work out drop down and go play at the level you probably should have been at to begin with.

Man with someone new everyday entering the portal, I’m waiting on X to read PJ Fleck announces to “respect his decision” with his intention to go into the transfer portal one of these days! 😆

Reminder that the Gophers had 19 transfers out last year: https://gopherhole.com/boards/threa...-movement-thread-whos-in-and-whos-out.108980/

10 at this point isn't super unusual, but we'll see how many more guys leave.
Yep.....way of the world these days. Won't be surprised to see the number double over the next few weeks but hopefully it won't be some of the key guys we all hope come back like Taylor.

Will be interesting to see who we are able to bring in as well.

Part of the ghost of dominant Nebraska past was the huge walk-on program. Every kid in Wisconsin, South Dakota and maybe even the western Iowa counties wanted to play for the Huskers and would accept walk-on offers at Nebraska. Invariably, a number of those kids would develop into contributors and even a star here and there. That's long gone and in the past. The xDSUs have had very good players come out of Nebraska, metro Omaha in particular who will gladly take a scholarship from good FCS schools as opposed to paying to play for the Huskers. Its neat to see that there are still a few kids like Jorgenson out there that might want to play for the home state team, if nothing more than to see how they measure up.

Reminder that the Gophers had 19 transfers out last year
...and that's the battle that PJ lost, leading to this 5-7 season. Bringing in a couple of nice players (and several that don't belong at this level) each year just isn't going to cut it. He's going to have to up his transfer portal game quite a bit to continue to field a competent squad.

First incoming transfer added and we've got our QB!

...and that's the battle that PJ lost, leading to this 5-7 season. Bringing in a couple of nice players (and several that don't belong at this level) each year just isn't going to cut it. He's going to have to up his transfer portal game quite a bit to continue to field a competent squad.
80-90% of the 19 in the transfer portal last year either left because they were not playing or because they were told they weren't going to play. It's how it works...we can't recruit 25 high school kids and add 10, 11 transfer portal potential upgrade targets unless 19-20 some guys leave.

Two guys who played in 2022 at linebacker left....evidently on their own. They had 33 and 19 tackles at linebacker for the Gophers in '22. PJ says this is why we struggled in 2023. To replace these two guys we recruited 3 LB's in the transfer portal. To your point we evidently evaluated poorly. The guys who left played the full schedule in '23 and had similar production to '22 once again at their new schools. Not program or season's fortunes changers.

We did have injuries at linebacker with Cody Lindenberg missing the majority games.
Same with LeCaptain also missing with injury.

My point, it wasn't NIL that wrecked our season as PJ repeated each press conference.
Poor evaluation and bad luck with injuries was a bigger factor. "Every team has injuries.
Facts not excuses."

For context: In 2018 our linebackers recorded the following tackles.
Cashman 104, Barber 81, Martin 59, Coughlin 48, and Huff 21.
In 2023:
Williams 52, Baranowski 52, Selig 31 (Transfer) (wash numbers wise to one departing LB?)
Lindenberg 25, Stolsky 20, Kingsbury 4, Mau 4

So for those paying attention on twitter/X I know it has been brought up that a lot of key guys have declared they are returning (which is apparently a thing now). Are there any big names that have not said anything?

PJ Fleck was accomplishing a few things when he talked about more NIL or Gophers will be outspent for current players even. It was a distraction after a flubbed game(s). He's doing his job as leader to bring awareness of the issue, and he did.

A world of opportunity and adversity is ahead where there will be many winners measured a few ways, despite what we are hearing. Just have to be one of those many winners.

The new QB helps. Feel more confident going against the West Coast teams? You should.

They need to figure out why the defense stumbled so bad at times, made no sense.

Added Cole Kramer to the retiring section. Seems pretty clear that he is done with football after the bowl game and ready to move on with life after football.

Added Cole Kramer to the retiring section. Seems pretty clear that he is done with football after the bowl game and ready to move on with life after football.

He might be a grad transfer somewhere. But he won't be staying here, that part is clear.

He might be a grad transfer somewhere. But he won't be staying here, that part is clear.
There have been some comments in other threads about him taking a job in Arizona and getting ready to get married so it seems highly likely that he is done with football.

So we have 26 guys leaving but really the only two who jumped up and made plays very often were the two DB's...Jones and Nubin. Am I right?
We need some RB's for sure but...
We need some DL's for sure but...
We need some WR's for sure but...nobody in these 3 groups needs to be a standout to get back to where we were? Granted where we were is 5 wins but we did have some injuries. So, we are going to add guys for sure who at the very least make us competitive again, pretty easily?
That is we are not replacing guys who are irreplaceable? Amirite?
We need the two incoming QB's to be here in January and we need a third one as well but we seem almost status quo as is at QB and hopefully better but a lot riding on the New Hampshire kid being able to perform at this level determining our ceiling.

80-90% of the 19 in the transfer portal last year either left because they were not playing or because they were told they weren't going to play. It's how it works...we can't recruit 25 high school kids and add 10, 11 transfer portal potential upgrade targets unless 19-20 some guys leave.

Two guys who played in 2022 at linebacker left....evidently on their own. They had 33 and 19 tackles at linebacker for the Gophers in '22. PJ says this is why we struggled in 2023. To replace these two guys we recruited 3 LB's in the transfer portal. To your point we evidently evaluated poorly. The guys who left played the full schedule in '23 and had similar production to '22 once again at their new schools. Not program or season's fortunes changers.

We did have injuries at linebacker with Cody Lindenberg missing the majority games.
Same with LeCaptain also missing with injury.

My point, it wasn't NIL that wrecked our season as PJ repeated each press conference.
Poor evaluation and bad luck with injuries was a bigger factor. "Every team has injuries.
Facts not excuses."

For context: In 2018 our linebackers recorded the following tackles.
Cashman 104, Barber 81, Martin 59, Coughlin 48, and Huff 21.
In 2023:
Williams 52, Baranowski 52, Selig 31 (Transfer) (wash numbers wise to one departing LB?)
Lindenberg 25, Stolsky 20, Kingsbury 4, Mau 4
We only added Selig at LB from the portal, that was a big mistake, we really could have used another one, especially since Selig wasn’t exactly a force at WMU. We clearly missed Oliver and Willis, you can’t just judge performance by number of tackles. The fact a red shirt freshman walk on was needed to make 20 tackles is pretty damning.

We only added Selig at LB from the portal, that was a big mistake, we really could have used another one, especially since Selig wasn’t exactly a force at WMU. We clearly missed Oliver and Willis, you can’t just judge performance by number of tackles. The fact a red shirt freshman walk on was needed to make 20 tackles is pretty damning.
Chris Collins and Zolman were LB transfers as well, I believe.

Added the 3 new commits and updated the location for Viotto.

There were 4 commitments today.
Unless I am missing another one the 4th was a JC player who is categorized as a recruit and not a transfer.

Added the 3 new commits and updated the location for Viotto.
Viotto to Eastern Michigan...their starter will be a senior next year. They have two sophomores who will be juniors next year...if he can beat them out after learning in house for a year he can be their starter for three years. With about 29 other ifs...but seems to have landed closer to home and in a good spot for him.

Now that you say that, I think you're right. I have a co-worker whose daughter was an athlete at the U and got injured, ending her career, but she still gets to complete school on her scholarship.
They never used to be automatically renewed, however, for as long as I can remember, if you were injured while on scholarship, you got to keep the scholarship. It was insured but you were not allowed to compete.

Back in the day when school's used to push kids out, they'd give them an option - take a medical retirement or transfer. It was a way of pulling a scholarship but letting the kid finish school. I believe this happened to St. juste at michigan.

Been pretty quiet since the initial flurry of activity. Went in and updated the locations for a few of the guys leaving. So far the 4 that have found homes have all dropped down out of the power 4 level.

Top Bottom