Official 2024 Roster Movement Thread - Who's In and Who's Out?

Never even heard of these players in my life!? Grand? Gregerson? Kaliakmanis?

And so it begins. Kaliakmanis was a little surprising but he must see the writing on the wall with the coaches quickly going after a transfer QB. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Assume Grand and Gregerson drop down to a lower level school in order to play.

Well the QB room is going to look different next year - Viotto added to list going out.

does Athlete's Village have a revolving door?

remember - the official opening date for the next Portal season is not until Dec 4th and it runs through Jan. 2nd. there could be a lot more movement in the next 5 weeks.

I wonder if Nadine knows - what is the record for traffic/visits on Gopher Hole? I think that record is about to fall.

Added Williams....a little surprising but he was jumped on the depth chart by Nubin and didn't even see 4 games worth of action so maybe he knew it wasn't going to work out for him here. Another one that will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Colton beat Ersery for a sack (or two) in the Spring game. Didn't think that was a great sign for this season at the time.

Athan has talent - it’s just as likely he is leaving because of how he was used, and the lack of development. There is no history with current staff to breed confidence as a QB that you are going to be developed and have an opportunity to thrive.

Maybe the wrong place for this, but has anybody heard rumors of who else might be leaving? There's been Darius Taylor steam as far back as midseason on social media, but nothing really here.

I'd say losing any of the following would fall in to the absolute disaster category: Daniel Jackson, Cody Lindenberg, Justin Walley, Jah Joyner, Deven Eastern, Aireontae Ersery

The next category below that of very painful: Anthony Smith, Danny Striggow, Jalen Logan Redding, Quinn Carroll, Greg Johnson

If you are interested in following who we MIGHT be going after in the portal for additions, check out @Shakes_GopherFB on X/Twitter. His follows/likes can give you an indication of some of the guys we are evaluating.

Maybe the wrong place for this, but has anybody heard rumors of who else might be leaving? There's been Darius Taylor steam as far back as midseason on social media, but nothing really here.

I'd say losing any of the following would fall in to the absolute disaster category: Daniel Jackson, Cody Lindenberg, Justin Walley, Jah Joyner, Deven Eastern, Aireontae Ersery

The next category below that of very painful: Anthony Smith, Danny Striggow, Jalen Logan Redding, Quinn Carroll, Greg Johnson

If you are interested in following who we MIGHT be going after in the portal for additions, check out @Shakes_GopherFB on X/Twitter. His follows/likes can give you an indication of some of the guys we are evaluating.
If Greg Johnson left it would be an absolute "sky is falling" moment imo.

Might want to indicate in your tally which transfers out are walk-ons (e.g., Gregerson, Grand). First, their leaving doesn't free up a scholarship. Second, as they were preferred walk-ons and didn't ultimately score a scholarship, it makes sense that they would leave now and perhaps drop down a level to get the rest of college paid for. Sorry to see them go.

Legit never heard of the last two: Lewis and Jorgenson. Who are they?

Nobody is more critical than Kesich.

When these kids/young men accept scholarships from The U, are they guaranteed four-year scholarships, or are they one-year scholarships renewed annually for four years? Apparently these scholarships are renewed annually so some of the player movement is players looking for better or new opportunities (and better $), and some of this is players being informed their scholarships won't be renewed.

Last edited:

His dad already said he was leaving. Sorry Dino, but I think you'll have a hard time finding a better deal than you had at Minnesota.
Pretty sure with his brother leaving, any deal Dino had was going to be leaving as well.

When these kids/young men accept scholarships from The U, are they guaranteed four-year scholarships, or are they one-year scholarships renewed annually for four years?
The latter, and that's led to some controversy over the years in college sports. Not so much here that I know of, but definitely at some big time programs.

When these kids/young men accept scholarships from The U, are they guaranteed four-year scholarships, or are they one-year scholarships renewed annually for four years?
I don't know how many times this has been explained here--dozens of times at least--but here's one more:

At power-5 schools, scholarships granted to incoming freshman are guaranteed for 4 years.

Coaches at P5 schools cannot retract scholarships for performance reasons.

Last edited:

JJ Guedet is leaving - been here 5 yrs and has 1 yr of eligibility.
Perfect example of why the transfer portal is a really good deal and sucky deal at the same time.

Pro: JJ has put his time in and hasn't seen the field much, if at all. Seems like a good kid and now gets a chance to play his last season ever playing football on the field vs. sitting on the bench.

Con: It destroys mature depth on the offensive line. Losing players like JJ hurt because an injury results in players playing a year before they are truly ready.

Perfect example of why the transfer portal is a really good deal and sucky deal at the same time.

Pro: JJ has put his time in and hasn't seen the field much, if at all. Seems like a good kid and now gets a chance to play his last season ever playing football on the field vs. sitting on the bench.

Con: It destroys mature depth on the offensive line. Losing players like JJ hurt because an injury results in players playing a year before they are truly ready.
Grad transfers have always been a fairly common thing even before the portal. Bench guys moving on at the end of their careers to try and find some playing time.

Where the portal has hurt is the number of younger guys bailing because they didn't get the playing time they wanted right away and aren't willing to work to earn their spot.

Top Bottom