Official 2024 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Well guess that answers the question on if the Gophers plan to stand pat at QB or try and bring in some competition.
I would think they’d want one for depth at the very least if Kramer is expected to leave. Even if AK had been great this year.

I would think they’d want one for depth at the very least if Kramer is expected to leave. Even if AK had been great this year.
A transfer QB won't come here if he doesn't believe he has any shot at earning the starting job.

Bottom line is this shows they aren't going to stand pat at the QB position heading into next season which is probably a good sign that Fleck is going to be willing to make some changes in order to avoid a repeat of this past season.

A transfer QB won't come here if he doesn't believe he has any shot at earning the starting job.

Bottom line is this shows they aren't going to stand pat at the QB position heading into next season which is probably a good sign that Fleck is going to be willing to make some changes in order to avoid a repeat of this past season.
This one offer alone essentially shows their hand of cards. It's interesting on numerous fronts. One that they didn't tell him to "keep it private" - because now it's public knowledge the Gophers are either trying to replace AK or give him very healthy competition (which to your point if you're already a starting QB, you're unlikely to go somewhere unless you have a pretty obvious chance of being the starter there). So even if they don't land him or another credible QB, it's now known that they're trying to replace/usurp AK as the starting QB, which then gets to point two - does AK now transfer with this knowledge public? Point 3- the UNH QB should only have one year of eligibility left by my math, so does that mean they're going all-in on Lindsay and merely need a one-year stop-gap while he redshirts? With the free/grad transfer rule, the QB position has become a soap opera.

It doesn’t have to prove anything like that.

Fleck can just tell everyone, including and especially AK, that this is just replacing Cole Kramer from his decision to transfer out for his last year.

This one offer alone essentially shows their hand of cards. It's interesting on numerous fronts. One that they didn't tell him to "keep it private" - because now it's public knowledge the Gophers are either trying to replace AK or give him very healthy competition (which to your point if you're already a starting QB, you're unlikely to go somewhere unless you have a pretty obvious chance of being the starter there). So even if they don't land him or another credible QB, it's now known that they're trying to replace/usurp AK as the starting QB, which then gets to point two - does AK now transfer with this knowledge public? Point 3- the UNH QB should only have one year of eligibility left by my math, so does that mean they're going all-in on Lindsay and merely need a one-year stop-gap while he redshirts? With the free/grad transfer rule, the QB position has become a soap opera.
Fleck has favored and coddled 8 way too much already this is a kick in the ass that the kid needs — if you can’t deal with competition, then see ya.

I Think the message to the NH QB was “if you come here, you will most likely start.” This guy isn’t going to agree to transfer to a new place for one last year unless he’s the starter. AK will back up and learn, if he chooses to stay.

Obviously you wouldn’t straight up say hey we need you for depth. But I don’t think you need to promise someone the starting job to get them here.

Obviously you wouldn’t straight up say hey we need you for depth. But I don’t think you need to promise someone the starting job to get them here.
Dude needs to watch one game and he'll be salivating, if he's a competitor he's thinking "I've got the starting job locked up."

Fleck simply needs to take advantage of the portal to add depth and make upgrades if possible. He can’t worry about what it says to the younger players. If you’re worried about the young guys you end up with no depth or playing the young guys before they’re ready. That’s what happened to us at LB this year. The young guys need to be pushed, if they’re good enough play them, if not they can develop or leave.

Agree that you would never guarantee anything but you make it clear that the competition is 100% open (and AK didn't do enough this year to not have competition be open). There is an opportunity for someone to come in and win the job next year.

Not to go with the classic we cooled on him, but could imagine that in this case with a lower rated recruit.
You’re hilarious - the biggest maroon colored glasses anywhere. if Perich decommits it will because of the experience the guys ahead of him got this year.

Offensive line is one of the places you still want to get guys and develop them. Who knows? Maybe this guy doesn’t end up any good, but was good enough we did offer.

You’re hilarious - the biggest maroon colored glasses anywhere. if Perich decommits it will because of the experience the guys ahead of him got this year.

Offensive line is one of the places you still want to get guys and develop them. Who knows? Maybe this guy doesn’t end up any good, but was good enough we did offer.
Wow really? It’s impossible we’d ever pull an offer on an olineman? I didn’t even say we did, just said I could imagine it for some of the lower rated guys. You act like we’ve never done it before. And no if Perich decommit i wouldn’t say we cooled on him, terrible comparison. Hinds fits the profile of a high flight risk, dude is from Florida and would likely need to develop a few years.

Last edited:

Hinds is a development project, I believe. We've already got two highly-rated O lineman committed who are as close to "can't miss" candidates (for us) as you can project in HS recruiting. Both are already playing at a very high level and being recognized. If PJ isn't going to see as many portal transfers out as last year (quite possible) and he wants to hit the portal for more inbound talent, he might have to gain the needed scholarships by shaving a few off of the bottom of the recruiting class. Nasty business, but that is how the game is played today by every school.

Reposted by Ryan Burns from Justin Thind at MSU 247:

NEWS: #MichiganState will host 2024 LB Brady Pretzlaff on an official visit starting December 8th, he tells me. Pretzlaff is currently a #Minnesota commit. The Gaylord (MI) product is a top-15 player in the state of Michigan.

NEWS: #MichiganState will host 2024 LB Brady Pretzlaff on an official visit starting December 8th, he tells me. Pretzlaff is currently a #Minnesota commit. The Gaylord (MI) product is a top-15 player in the state of Michigan.
Uh oh

Would suck to lose him to that dumpster fire after they ignored him for so long.

Top Bottom