Official 2024 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

USC in - we’re out. Same with the kid from Esko.
Have you seen USC play at all this year? Their defense is one hot steaming pile of garbage. I get the allure of playing in southern California, but if I'm a defensive player, I'm looking at other helmet schools.

I know we live in a bubble with our own team, but if you think it's bad with how the locals are viewing the Gophers, go check out the USC fans. They assumed they were going to cake walk into the playoff and they've imploded spectacularly.

USC in - we’re out. Same with the kid from Esko.
If it's all the same to you I will go ahead and wait for the kid to actually switch his commitment before making assumptions.

As of right now both guys are verbal commits....if they switch at some point to USC or some other helmet school it will suck but it would be understandable and all part of the game that is recruiting.

I know this is a recruiting thread but.....don't care if we beat Wisconsin? Not sure I can understand that mentality.
I was being a bit hyperbolic. Let me rephrase it better: I want us to win Saturday, but if we lose, I don't think I'll be emotionally bummed out like I normal. That's how frustrating this season has been. Sorry to disappoint everyone, especially @CentralGopher :cool: I like to see Sconny down, but I'd enjoy beating them more if they are doing well and it kept them from winning the West.
Okay, back to recruiting.

Last edited:

TBH, I’m shocked that none of our 2024 verbal commits have flipped to anywhere yet with our shitty season.

Good for Fleck et al to keep these young man committed.

Just read a X by coach Jim Mora at UConn botching about how UConn can’t get quality players due to the lack of donations for NIL.

read another X by Coach Prime about how commits can’t even be faithful to their GFs and how we can expect them to be faithful to a program? Then he says “we’re not ATMs” if they want money then they better want to go to NFL and get a degree.

I really hope we can hold on to Koi and Jide. Obviously we need/want them for their abilities on the field but we also need to send a bit of a message to other schools. With the exception of the OT last year (who had already taken a vist to Alabama and they never stopped recruiting him), Iowa almost never loses an instate kid who has committed...and schools stop trying to get them to flip because they haven't had success in the past. The less time you have to spend playing defense...the more you can play offense.

Is this the thread where we talk about Gopher recruiting targets and commits? Guys like Koi for instance.

Is this the thread where we talk about Gopher recruiting targets and commits? Guys like Koi for instance.
I mean a verbal commit is still a recruit until signed, right? Of course they are.

Fleck does not run the QB. It's more about getting someone with pocket presence and the ability to move to extend the play. or just fall forward for 4-5 yards. There are hardly any running QB's at the P5 level. Athan has not pocket presence and has happy feet often.
There are hardly any running QBs at the P5 level?

There are hardly any running QBs at the P5 level?
I think more the point they are making is that there are very few guys who can both run and throw effectively in the P5 conferences. There are only 16 guys who have over 500 yards rushing this season. Jayden Daniels (LSU), Castellanos (BC), Haynes King (GT), Garrett Greene (WVU), Kyron Drones (VT), Brennan Armstrong (NCSt) are the P5 ones. Only 3 of those guys average over 5 yards a carry.

I think more the point they are making is that there are very few guys who can both run and throw effectively in the P5 conferences. There are only 16 guys who have over 500 yards rushing this season. Jayden Daniels (LSU), Castellanos (BC), Haynes King (GT), Garrett Greene (WVU), Kyron Drones (VT), Brennan Armstrong (NCSt) are the P5 ones. Only 3 of those guys average over 5 yards a carry.
Sacks count against their total. I bet if we really broke it down half of the P5 quarterbacks are running threats to one extent or another. The Pac 12 isn’t represented on your list and Nix and Williams. Both are very dangerous runners. Sure there are others.

Nix has run 36 times and Williams 64 after deleting sacks. Williams has been sacked 33 times and Nix 6.

AK has 50 carries after 19 sacks.

Nix has run 36 times and Williams 64 after deleting sacks. Williams has been sacked 33 times and Nix 6.

AK has 50 carries after 19 sacks.
Don’t care. If you watch them play in big games they are huge running threats—super athletic.

The QBs that are good at both running and throwing are rare and don’t typically fly under the radar.

Don’t care. If you watch them play in big games they are huge running threats—super athletic.
I think you’re missing the point. You’re describing exactly what Maxy was in his prior point. It’s about extending plays and being a “threat” but the rush yards honestly are pretty irrelevant. Have to keep your team out of negative plays and hit the guys down field on extended plays (It’s where Nix really excels). That’s way more subtle and something you won’t get just looking at HS kids stats. AK does not do this really at all. Annexstad tried when he was here but was limited.

The QBs that are good at both running and throwing are rare and don’t typically fly under the radar.
The Missouri QB must’ve missed the memo about no good running quarterbacks. Boy, I would take that kid in the heartbeat, even though his career has been a little up-and-down. He’s no Lamar Jackson but he’s not afraid to takeoff, is very effective when he does, and isn’t afraid to get his jersey dirty.

If we don’t lose at least 5 verbally committed recruits after the W loss before 12/29/2023, I’d be shocked!

Top Bottom