Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

@GarrisonJWright: Blessed to receive my 4th offer from the University of Minnesota! #GoldenGophers #B1G [emoji458][emoji458] https://t.co/ktrptEx5GT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice. Regardless of what some others might say......you have to have the Jimmy's and Joe's to go along with the X's and O's.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

He actually wants to play TE in college

Are we targeting him for TE? I don't think we have one in the 2016 recruiting class, and we sure have had injury issues with this position. I've wondered if Elmore wishes he had been a TE this year instead of DE.

STrib: Polars QB Tyler Johnson brings pride back to North Side

Tyler Johnson steps through a set of double-doors into a windswept cement courtyard between the two buildings that make up Minneapolis North High School, looking nothing like the superman he’s become.

There’s no cape on his quarter-zip gray sweater, and the closest thing to an “S” on his chest is a North Polars logo. Fawning adoration is hard to detect. He gets a handshake from one of the few students enjoying a sunny, late autumn day, a bro-hug from another. In this setting, Johnson is more Clark Kent than his alter ego.

But make no mistake, the 6-3 185-pound quarterback is clearly someone worth noticing. His movements, on and off the football field, are measured yet graceful. He’s lean, but there’s no sign of awkwardness, even with his pants slung low in the current fashion mode. He’s one of those kids who moves easily through space, cool without trying to be.

“His level of humility is amazing,” North boys’ basketball coach Larry McKenzie said. “He’s different than most young athletes in that he’s very humble. He doesn’t let things go to his head.”

Johnson will lead Minneapolis North in the Class 1A championship game in Saturday’s Prep Bowl, the first Minneapolis public school to play in the 34-year-old tournament.

It’s a crowning achievement for the school, once targeted for closure due to falling enrollment, and speaks to Johnson, who also stars in basketball, as arguably the most influential prep athlete in Minnesota.

http://www.mnfootballhub.com/news_article/show/576334

Go Gophers!!

Lansing State Journal: Tony Poljan solid with Minnesota commitment

Tony Poljan was a little worried about his college future when Jerry Kill stepped down as Minnesota's coach because of health reasons last month.

Those concerns are now gone for the Lansing Catholic senior quarterback.

Minnesota's announcement Wednesday that longtime Kill assistant Tracy Claeys would be taking over as coach has Poljan comfortable again with his commitment to the Gophers.

"A new head coach could have came in and ran a style of offense that I wasn't a fit for," Poljan said. "I was really worried about that, but now my worries are over because coach Claeys has got the job.

"It definitely makes me more comfortable that coach Claeys signed a three-year contract."

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...y-poljan-solid-minnesota-commitment/75650434/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Tony Poljan, the Lansing (Mich.) Catholic dual-threat quarterback who has committed to the Gophers, had a big night last week, passing for 155 yards and rushing for 107 yards and two TDs to spark his team to a district football title. He told the Lansing State Journal he was solid in his commitment to Minnesota after the university announced Wednesday they were hiring interim coach Tracy Claeys to replace Jerry Kill as head coach.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-schedule-starts-getting-tougher/347325412/

Go Gophers!!

According to 247, Tyler Johnson is the only official visit on the schedule. Now that they have a coach in place, I hope they can start lining up some visits.

Starting to think there will be some attrition on the offensive line.

They lose 5 OL off of what has been a thin and injury depleted group all year. Sign as many as you can.

4, maybe 5. Bobek might be back. They went from wanting 4 HS OL and 1 JUCO, to then wanting another JUCO, and now they offer another HS player.

I'm with you though, we need bodies.

Injuries to the O-Line this season exposed a critical need to have good quality depth.

Injuries to the O-Line this season exposed a critical need to have good quality depth.

Or any depth at all. Both our offensive line and defensive lines are huge liabilities. I'm hoping no bowl game means the coaches are out looking for someone, anyone to fill scholarships and add some quality to either line.

The thing is, in recruiting you're always planning 2-3-4 years in advance, to keep the classes and position groups balanced. The one thing you can't predict is a year like this one. When a team loses literally half of its projected game #1 starters to injuries, it's almost impossible to have enough depth to make up for those kind of losses - except for the big helmet schools that have entire rosters of 4 and 5-star players.

Having said that, I could see the Gophers' staff trying to land some JUCO's to fill some roster holes for the next couple of years. You don't want to rely on JUCO's, but sometimes it's a necessary evil.

Agree. I think you should recruit at least 4 every year along with at least one Preferred Walk-On and redshirt as many of them as possible (preferably all). You really need a pipeline of guys.

Or any depth at all. Both our offensive line and defensive lines are huge liabilities. I'm hoping no bowl game means the coaches are out looking for someone, anyone to fill scholarships and add some quality to either line.

What are you talking about, we have lot's of depth on both. Tyler Moore, Joe Bjorklund, Connor Mayes & Foster Bush have all contributed greatly behind the OL starters.

Alex Keith, Gaelin Elmore, Andrew Stelter, Shoob Timms and Robert Ndondo-Lay have all been quality depth players on the DL this year.

I shudder to think where we'd be without the depth we have on both the OL and DL.

We need some bigger DT's in a bad way.

No use in signing bigger guys if they're not good players. Big DT's who are good players get gobbled up by the helmet schools. You think the staff wouldn't love to have a roster full of Rashede Hagemans? We were very lucky he was a local kid who's parents wanted him to stay close to home. No, we have to develop players via weight room and design our scheme around what we have to work with.

Saw this during the broadcast - Gopher #s?

clemsonalabamaohio statenotre dameiowaminnesota
4-star284651428?
5-star414330?

<tbody>
</tbody>

Top Bottom