***OFFICIAL #17 MICHIGAN STATE AT #21 MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD***

Congratulations to Coronavirus on the win over Michigan State this evening.

Nice to see us win a game by a wide margin.
I turned it on late, and it was nice there wasn't a 11-2 run by the other team right after I turned it on.

Called it

Defense will grade out as a A. This team is well constructed from a roster point and now are playing connected and continueous . All credit to the staff and the players. Marvelous scouting job by the staff and great defense by the players will make other teams look bad. Said all of this before tonight. Saw all the signs of a very close team.

Pitino was able to get to this team after the brutal Illinois game. Since then ball movement is so much better and defense is much better. There is still a lot more upside left in this team. Gach, Gabe and Mashburn all can shoot much better than this.

So far this is the best free throw shooting team we have had in many years. 76% coming into the night and shot 88% tonight. I think I heard announcers saying we have made more FTs than any team in the country?? Wow.

Most attempts and makes which is huge.

Most attempts and makes which is huge.
That is a great formula for winning. For years UW made more free throws than the other teams took. Bo Ryan used that metric near the top of his list. We finally borrowed several things that are proven methods to winning, One of them is moving your feet on defense, not using your hands. Officials look for hands. Players have bought into the work. That is where great character is revealed. It takes tremendous work to be good at it. You start with high character, it makes teams close. Then you look for length and versatility.

That was a fun beatdown to watch! Three big-time victories in a row now (I'm betting that MSU will figure it out and go on a run at some point).

Poor USAF. The Gophers ruined his Christmas, and now made his Monday even worse.

Thats some desperate logic. The simpler explanation is that one team has more impact players and is just significantly better than the other.
Agreed. Never seen MSU with fewer difference makers. Dont follow them that close so don't know if they have injuries or people out,but no one out there really scared you. Our defense was great for most part, too.

That was a fun beatdown to watch! Three big-time victories in a row now (I'm betting that MSU will figure it out and go on a run at some point).

Poor USAF. The Gophers ruined his Christmas, and now made his Monday even worse.
I wish I could like this multiple times. It's no coincidence that he's never in the post-game threads when we win.

That is a great formula for winning. For years UW made more free throws than the other teams took. Bo Ryan used that metric near the top of his list. We finally borrowed several things that are proven methods to winning, One of them is moving your feet on defense, not using your hands. Officials look for hands. Players have bought into the work. That is where great character is revealed. It takes tremendous work to be good at it. You start with high character, it makes teams close. Then you look for length and versatility.

NIce post Built.

I can see a noticeable difference this year. IIRC, we had a game a couple of years ago, which we lost by 5 points while going 17-32 from the charity stripe - you can't win that way. And we ended up as a 67/68% team FT % for the year - Yuck.

I actually expect to win games now - odd, welcomed feeling.

Last edited:

So far this is the best free throw shooting team we have had in many years. 76% coming into the night and shot 88% tonight. I think I heard announcers saying we have made more FTs than any team in the country?? Wow.

The Gophers did this in 2018-2019 as well, more or less. Most attempts and 2nd most makes in the B1G, 9th most attempts in the country.

Huge reason for their success that season and so far this eason.

NIce post Built.

I can see a noticeable difference this year. IIRC, we had a game a couple of years ago, which we lost by 5 points while going 17-32 from the charity stripe - you can't win that way. And we ended up as a 67/68% team FT % for the year - Yuck.

I actually expect to win games now - odd, welcomed feeling.

I mean there will be a game this year where they shoot 50-60% on free throws and frustrate us. The key is we don't have any bad free throw shooters and the guys taking the majority of them (Robbins, Carr, Gach, Gabe, Johnson) all seem to be good/great free throw shooters. Robbins had a bad game earlier from the line but has been lights out as well.

This was an unexpected W and was very impressive all the way around. Only two players in double digits show a very balanced attack tonight as no one really stood out aside from Robbins and Carr. Every single player contributed.

Like howeda said, I am shocked Michigan State didn't cut this to single digits.

The thing i feel most shocked about is that I don't feel like anyone (i suppose Robbins) really played amazingly. Robbins good, Carr good etc but wasn't like a WHOA CARR HAD 40 or Johnson is 8/9 from 3 game. Gabe continues to be terrible on offense, Gach looks lost on that end, Mash struggled and we still pounded Michigan state!

I know its not a need at this point but I want a little more Mutaf, dude looks smooth on offense! Maybe its blowout related but I have to think he could be a nice guy to get hot in any given 4 min stretch

The effort has been great the past few games. And there’s still a lot of improvement that can be made. I know Gabe gets a lot of criticism for his shooting but his defense was excellent once again. Get him and Gach going offensively and look out.

Thats some desperate logic. The simpler explanation is that one team has more impact players and is just significantly better than the other.

Agree. I was joking. Probly trying a little too hard to be clever.

Top Bottom