Next Gopher Head Coach

So he says he's not a coach so he can't say if CBJ knows the x's and o's, but yet in 1000 others he states how good the 2nd year class is. How can that be, hes not a coach there's no way he could ever know how good they are! 😏

You could have saved us a lot of time by just admitting that you're drunk most of the day.

He's got 12 more conference games and a tournament to show where he is at in year 3. Win half of those and maybe a game or two in the tourney, we finish 9 - 11 in conference play and somewhere around 18-13 to 20-13 for the season. Maybe even an NIT bid. Now I have tangible evidence things are trending in the right direction, and he gets Year 4.

If the season implodes again and we finish 4-16 or 5-15, I think it becomes a much more difficult conversation.

And for the record, I've generally been supportive and hope like hell he can string together some wins here. But I'm also a realist. If it goes off the rails a 3rd consecutive season, I think it becomes really hard to see how Year 4 is going to drastically change, especially when there are numerous examples of experienced coaches finding success at a much faster rate. It clearly can be done if you know what you are doing.

Last edited:

Clem Haskins would have been considered the worst...until his first recruits became juniors.

I guess if Ben Johnson is now the worst coach in Gophers basketball history.....that would make Haskins the second worst. I mean.....with those first two seasons!?

Meanwhile we will almost certainly lose 1-2 of the top 8 to the portal, hopefully not Christie or Payne. Is Ben on his last chance suddenly going to hit HR's in the portal replacing them?
And if we do lose them, it won't be Ben's fault.

Clem Haskins would have been considered the worst...until his first recruits became juniors.
Cool...

So I assume you are talking about the 1988 team correct? (his 3rd year) Well lets see if we can break down how out of date this take is:

Top films of 1988!
Roger Rabbit
Coming to America
Good Morning Vietnam
Big
Crocodile Dundee 2

Top Albums of 1988!
Journey - Greatest Hits
Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
Bon Jovi - New Jersey
Paula Abdul - Forever Your Girl
New Kids on the Block - Hanging Tough

I do enjoy that you think things that happened almost 40 years ago are somehow relevant now.

P6 wins:
ND - 3
Minnesota - 3

Nice self own.

Three wins in 13 P6 games. Gophers have only played 9 P6 games. I'll let you do the math there.

More importantly....you posted about Shrewsberry turning a program around in your attempt to show how easy it is. So did Shrewsberry become a bad coach from the end of last season to this season? How wasn't he able to replicate his early success at Penn State.

Talk about a faceplant.

Yes.....yes he was. Even Gabe's worst shooting stretch was better than anything Carrington has done. Gabe at least had the threat of getting hot. Defense...Gabe a little better. Rebounding goes to Carrington.

Gabe shot .245 from three in his final year with the Gophers. That was with over five attempts per game. Shot .235 from three in his first year at Iowa State.

People tend to be far more critical in the moment and forget. Gabe took a TON of flack from Gophers fans.....same way that people are attempting to trash Carrington because it fits the narrative.

Oh look Mr. Strawman is here!

Is this a Wizard of Oz reference....because if you are referring to the strawman fallacy....I think you might want to look up what it is before trying to use it again.

Three wins in 13 P6 games. Gophers have only played 9 P6 games. I'll let you do the math there.

More importantly....you posted about Shrewsberry turning a program around in your attempt to show how easy it is. So did Shrewsberry become a bad coach from the end of last season to this season? How wasn't he able to replicate his early success at Penn State.

Talk about a faceplant.

Congrats? Switch out our shit OOC with 4 games against Auburn, Oklahoma State, @South Carolina and @Marquette, and we'd likely have the same record. My god, the easy schedule really has people blind to a bunch of things.

Shrewsbury had no problem doing it at Penn State. Year two R32 in the tournament. Let me remind you...at Penn State. My guess is if he's in year 3, and has produced the shit results Ben has, he will be on the hot seat. I can guarantee ND won't be 220 in KenPom next year, like we were in year 2.

Congrats? Switch out our shit OOC with 4 games against Auburn, Oklahoma State, @South Carolina and @Marquette, and we'd likely have the same record. My god, the easy schedule really has people blind to a bunch of things.

Shrewsbury had no problem doing it at Penn State. Year two R32 in the tournament. Let me remind you...at Penn State. My guess is if he's in year 3, and has produced the shit results Ben has, he will be on the hot seat. I can guarantee ND won't be 220 in KenPom next year, like we were in year 2.

Making assumptions now? Have you seen Oklahoma State?

Right. Shrewsberry did it at Penn State. So what happened? Tell us how he became such a bad coach so quickly....because he is not having a good first year at Notre Dame. And it's easy to just pull in transfers and be good right way....or is that not the narrative that you're going with anymore? Almost like there are a bunch of other factors at play....hmmm....

Making assumptions now? Have you seen Oklahoma State?

Right. Shrewsberry did it at Penn State. So what happened? Tell us how he became such a bad coach so quickly....because he is not having a good first year at Notre Dame. And it's easy to just pull in transfers and be good right way....or is that not the narrative that you're going with anymore? Almost like there are a bunch of other factors at play....hmmm....

Have you seen the Gophers on a neutral court? Got run by a SF team that wont sniff the tournament. Sure, maybe we win that game, so we'd have 4 P6 wins to ND's 3. A team your trashing by the way. But your bar is so low, maybe that's good to you?

As for ND, they are performing slightly better than they did last year. He took over a truly bad team. Not one that that Ben took over and immediately nosedived it to the ground. Gophers were 62 in KenPom in 2021. ND was 166 last year. I'd expect ND to be much better next year. Not every first year coach is going to make the tournament(even though plenty of examples exist)

Have you seen the Gophers on a neutral court? Got run by a SF team that wont sniff the tournament. Sure, maybe we win that game, so we'd have 4 P6 wins to ND's 3. A team your trashing by the way. But your bar is so low, maybe that's good to you?

As for ND, they are performing slightly better than they did last year. He took over a truly bad team. Not one that that Ben took over and immediately nosedived it to the ground. Gophers were 62 in KenPom in 2021. ND was 166 last year. I'd expect ND to be much better next year. Not every first year coach is going to make the tournament(even though plenty of examples exist)

That ND team is a borderline adaptive basketball team.

The roster he took over there is comical. But he planned this roster for ND to be good by year 3 which the GOphers are not. And that will be when the comp can be made.

Anyone trying to compare the gophers to ND this year as a defense is actually just making the gophers look worse

Almost everyone left off that Gophers team. Best players (Carr, Robbins, Mashburn) weren't returning.

Funny that you are changing your tune all the sudden. Now it's not so simple for a coach to run out and bring in a bunch of transfers for a quick turnaround. Could have sworn that was the argument a few of you were making. But now exceptions exist....and that's not necessarily the case.

Be careful not to trip over anything with all that backpeddling you are doing.

The roster he took over there is comical. But he planned this roster for ND to be good by year 3 which the GOphers are not. And that will be when the comp can be made.

Anyone trying to compare the gophers to ND this year as a defense is actually just making the gophers look worse

Yeah, pretty much agree. Shrewsbury did a hell of a job at PSU, which was my point. He's in another rebuild. I'm gonna guess they will be a lot better than the Gophers were last year.

I'm not comparing the Gophers to ND. I'm pointing out that flipping a roster through transfers is easier said than done. It shouldn't be used as evidence of a coaches ability.

Almost everyone left off that Gophers team. Best players (Carr, Robbins, Mashburn) weren't returning.

Funny that you are changing your tune all the sudden. Now it's not so simple for a coach to run out and bring in a bunch of transfers for a quick turnaround. Could have sworn that was the argument a few of you were making. But now exceptions exist....and that's not necessarily the case.

Be careful not to trip over anything with all that backpeddling you are doing.

Again there are a TON of examples of coaches who have made the tournament in the first 3 years of a new job(with similar profiles to us). If we were on track to make the tournament this year, It'd be different. Instead, we're on track for Weakling Wednesday once again. I'm not back-peddling. Shrewsbury is a great example of early success at PSU.

What don't you get about how its never been easier to turn a program around quickly? Like I said, if Shrewsbury is producing what the Gophers have produced this year, in his 3rd year, he's on the hot seat.

Gabe shot .245 from three in his final year with the Gophers. That was with over five attempts per game. Shot .235 from three in his first year at Iowa State.

People tend to be far more critical in the moment and forget. Gabe took a TON of flack from Gophers fans.....same way that people are attempting to trash Carrington because it fits the narrative.
No one is trashing Carrington. No one. He can't shoot. That is a fact at this point.

Gabe was lights out then all of a sudden couldn't shoot. What he had over Carrington though is a history of being really good at it. Carrington hasn't done that.

How about paying Dawn Staley an extra million five over her SC salary and bring her here to coach the Gopher men's team?

Now that would take a set of balls for Coyle to do. LOL

Again there are a TON of examples of coaches who have made the tournament in the first 3 years of a new job(with similar profiles to us). If we were on track to make the tournament this year, It'd be different. Instead, we're on track for Weakling Wednesday once again. I'm not back-peddling. Shrewsbury is a great example of early success at PSU.

What don't you get about how its never been easier to turn a program around quickly? Like I said, if Shrewsbury is producing what the Gophers have produced this year, in his 3rd year, he's on the hot seat.

I never said that there weren't examples of coaches making quick turnarounds. Never once said it. All I've said is that there are a lot of factors that go into it....and using it as a judge of a coaches ability is silly.

Shrewsberry is obviously a good coach. My point is that building a competitive roster from scraps is easier said than done....and shouldn't be used as a barometer.

Ben Johnson is absolutely on the hot seat. Another thing that I never denied. His tenure is tied to his sophomore class. He went heavy with five HS players in that class and if they can't compete next year....he'll probably be gone.

No one is trashing Carrington. No one. He can't shoot. That is a fact at this point.

Gabe was lights out then all of a sudden couldn't shoot. What he had over Carrington though is a history of being really good at it. Carrington hasn't done that.

Shots made during his freshman year don't carry forward. Would you say that Gabe was a valuable player despite never shooting as well as he did his freshman year? Take out his freshman year and he was about a 30% three point shooter over the remainder of his college career.

Next Gopher coach? I would like to see John Wooden here, but am not sure if he is available. Not so much for his coaching ability, but I want his bagman more than him. That’s the guy who is key to todays college basketball success!

Top Bottom