Next Gopher Head Coach

Going to lose to Penn State, they have better guard play and better coaching! Plain and Simple

Yah thats not going to help you, Clingan is not only their starter but one of the best players in the country. He's just coming back from injury so they started Samson. So yep bad example.

That said, i did look up some numbers. I know some of you old timers hate actual numbers but there are player rankings out there. I used Evan Miya who has a PER type stat to look at data not just use a subjective answer on who is better. I used the P6 on B10 b12 sec acc p12 BE could throw in MW but decided not too

What that said was:
Hawkins 4.54. Good starter on all teams, on average the 25th best player per P6 conference
Mitchell 3.32 slightly below average starter on average 48th best player per conf
PP 3.25 essentially exactly the same as Mitchell 52nd best player on avg per conf
DG 3.12 which is about what I thought, he has been the biggest disappointment for me this season I was thinking he might be a top 10 conference guy, avg 56th best player per conference low end starter
Carrington 1.98 about 78th best player per conf, with average of 66 "starters " per league puts him as an average 6th man
Christie 1.75 average 84th best player in a conf. Roughly an average 7th man
JOJ 1.09....yikes. bad number for him, I like him but numbers say a low end bench guy.

I know there is always noise with eff numbers but just relax they aren't mine, but this makes it a bit objective. Essentially we have on average 1 good starter, 3 low end starters, and 3 bench guys. The problem here is we have no alpha. We have slots 2-8 covered but without a 1 everyone moves up which for the most part means we are out talented (even if it's slightly) at each position every game. Combine that with a coach we should all agree is not a shining star and you have the recipe for a below average team

Dude just stop. Clingan has been back for 2 games and 1 week. His first game back he played 15 in a blow out. He started all 12 games pre injury and Clingan is also a stopper on D. This is incredible.

Actually, you accidentally forgetting Clingan and having to back pedal has really hurt the case.

Now in reality Garcias best chance at minutes on Uconn is the 10ish minutes that Karaban sits.

Uconn isnt starting a finesse PF with a eFG% of 47.5 that cant defend at Center over true big men like Clingan and Sampson. In a offense that doesnt ask for a ball dominant big in Garcia.

Dawson would get eaten alive against the centers of the big east.
Sweet and they both averaged about 20 a game when healthy.

Clingan has started 85% of their games. He's coming back from injury. Claiming Johnson as a starter is pretty disingenuous. He's also a potential 1st rounder.
Awesome. Kentucky has 2 lottery picks coming off the bench. It doesn't mean anything.

They are losing season ticket holders every year this drags on and have already lost a ton. A new coach will stop the bleeding and bring some of them back. 4,000 difference? Probably not. (Unless they get Musselman which is why they should try to even if they have to pay $5 million/year.)

But even someone like Craig Smith probably means an extra 2K/game over the next couple years. More then enough to pay the marginally higher buyout now vs one year from now, which is the point.
This is correct and a lot of those lost season ticket holders are premium so paying close to $1000 per ticket. Get 3000 back and you are looking at 3 million just on the tickets not to mention the concessions which have become one of the biggest gouges on the planet.

Honest question, what progress has their been other than being better than the worst Gopher team ever? Were still a fringe top 100 team. And like I've pointed out 100 times, we're still worse than the team that got Pitino fired.

No progress has been made. Good take. You should stick with that one so people know you're serious.

Winning is what ultimately brings fans back. Wasting another year on a failed experiment delays that. The bottom line is that $$ is not a reason he should be kept. Basketball is still a revenue sport.

Good reason not to restart prematurely.

Yah thats not going to help you, Clingan is not only their starter but one of the best players in the country. He's just coming back from injury so they started Samson. So yep bad example.

That said, i did look up some numbers. I know some of you old timers hate actual numbers but there are player rankings out there. I used Evan Miya who has a PER type stat to look at data not just use a subjective answer on who is better. I used the P6 on B10 b12 sec acc p12 BE could throw in MW but decided not too

What that said was:
Hawkins 4.54. Good starter on all teams, on average the 25th best player per P6 conference
Mitchell 3.32 slightly below average starter on average 48th best player per conf
PP 3.25 essentially exactly the same as Mitchell 52nd best player on avg per conf
DG 3.12 which is about what I thought, he has been the biggest disappointment for me this season I was thinking he might be a top 10 conference guy, avg 56th best player per conference low end starter
Carrington 1.98 about 78th best player per conf, with average of 66 "starters " per league puts him as an average 6th man
Christie 1.75 average 84th best player in a conf. Roughly an average 7th man
JOJ 1.09....yikes. bad number for him, I like him but numbers say a low end bench guy.

I know there is always noise with eff numbers but just relax they aren't mine, but this makes it a bit objective. Essentially we have on average 1 good starter, 3 low end starters, and 3 bench guys. The problem here is we have no alpha. We have slots 2-8 covered but without a 1 everyone moves up which for the most part means we are out talented (even if it's slightly) at each position every game. Combine that with a coach we should all agree is not a shining star and you have the recipe for a below average team

100% and advanced stats are great.

Only issue with those stats is it show what those players should be on teams. But it doesnt factor in why those teams are currently successful and constructed.

Like Hawkins as impressive as he is a 5"11 PG(generously listed)

So take Kansas for example. Hawkins should be a starter on all teams per that data. But he isnt entering that starting lineup and keeping them the same or better.

There hasn't been ANY progress!? In the same post you say that you don't see the importance of his first high school class?

These are great takes. No agenda here folks. :oops::LOL:

I agree. So maybe Carrington isn't Kalscheur......but through one and a half years.....are you ready to say that Carrington can't get to that point? They have a similar game and I don't think Carrington is done progressing. Just think there's some revisionist history going on.....because Kalscheur took a lot of the same type of flak when he was here.

Actual attendance at the games doesn't equal the number of tickets sold. Lol if you think the Gophers sell anywhere near another 4k on average if Johnson is fired. Depending on the coach hired and the players they bring in.....the needle might not move at a

I was only replying to the Gabe mention. I like Carrington. We need him.

100% and advanced stats are great.

Only issue with those stats is it show what those players should be on teams. But it doesnt factor in why those teams are currently successful and constructed.

Like Hawkins as impressive as he is a 5"11 PG(generously listed)

So take Kansas for example. Hawkins should be a starter on all teams per that data. But he isnt entering that starting lineup and keeping them the same or better.
For sure, like I said it's just an average and a way to look at it a bit objectively. Its not how you build a team per se just kind of showing our talent level.

I do agree he would start over Johnson...who is not a normal starter.

He woulndt even then. Their offense is built for just having a massive space taking big to lob it to at the rim

Dawson would get man handled by Kalk, Oso, Soriano, Oduru, Dixon.

He needs to be a PF on the right team to be impact on a good team

Progress from what?
You've told us repeatedly seasons 1 and 2 of the CBJ regime don't count. They don't exist. They can't be used to evaluate him.

So progress from what?

Yeah, he's never really answered that. Were worse off than we were in Pitino's final season. We are a fringe top 100 team. We are flirting with Weakling Wednesday again. We played literally the worst OOC in the country and still managed to lose two games. One of which we were run off the floor in, and the other choking away the game against a terrible team. We don't have a quality win(Q1). We are really good at beating the 250+ teams however.

I feel like the phrase "role player" is being used negatively. At a school that isn't going to be raking in NBA-level talent very often, every player on the roster is going to be incomplete. A group of role players can be extremely effective if they are good at their roles, and nobody has to be good at everything,

Yeah, he's never really answered that. Were worse off than we were in Pitino's final season. We are a fringe top 100 team. We are flirting with Weakling Wednesday again. We played literally the worst OOC in the country and still managed to lose two games. One of which we were run off the floor in, and the other choking away the game against a terrible team. We don't have a quality win(Q1). We are really good at beating the 250+ teams however.
I've heard the San Francisco team that ran us off the floor is an absolute lock for the NCAA tournament though...

I've heard the San Francisco team that ran us off the floor is an absolute lock for the NCAA tournament though...

The Indiana game thread is comical if you look back at it. I wouldn't bring it up, but the apologists gave me shit when I said it then, and up to two weeks ago were still giving me shit.

MEDVED-------NEED TO GO GET HIM!!!!!
I wasn't too high on Medved in the last cycle. Thought he was more of our fallback option.

Now I'd say he's gotta be at the top / close to right up there.

He's done a great job and surprised me with that team.

That wasn't my grade for them. It was an example of progress with context.

Do you think they are good? Or even average?

So you went from saying that Johnson's teams have made no progress.....to saying that progressing from an F to a D- is progress, but still not good.....to I DIDN'T SAY THAT!!!

Not sure your case would hold up in the Court of Rational Thinking.

Progress from what?
You've told us repeatedly seasons 1 and 2 of the CBJ regime don't count. They don't exist. They can't be used to evaluate him.

So progress from what?

I didn't say those things. Figure out reading and try again.

So you went from saying that Johnson's teams have made no progress.....to saying that progressing from an F to a D- is progress, but still not good.....to I DIDN'T SAY THAT!!!

Not sure your case would hold up in the Court of Rational Thinking.

Apologies for your lack of comprehension.

Top Bottom