Next Gopher Head Coach

The thing that really strikes me is how we are constantly short on guards.
I don't really get this line of thinking. I watch as much KU BB as Gopher BB. KU has one, one pure point guard, Dajuan Harris. Yet most every other player excluding Dickinson will bring the ball up at some point or another.
I look at the Gopher and see Hawkins = Harris. Christie, Mitchell, Carrington can all handle the ball.

Both equally stupid questions

No, yours was stupid because it was an analogy that didnt even compare to my very simple question.

Here, let me help you. Glossing over the obvious that the world population is much higher than a simple ask of top 25 basketball teams

I asked how many OTHER TEAMS would choose Dawson or Christie or Hawkins to start for their teams over their current players.

So while still stupid, the proper analogy would be how many other men would choose my wife over their current wife.

The question I asked was a completely fair question.

Since you are obviously a combination of both extremely slow and weirdly Ben defensive. Ill get the ball rolling. Would any of the gophers start for Uconn, Kansas, Kentucky or Arizona as a starting point. I will definitively say NO.

No, yours was stupid because it was an analogy that didnt even compare to my very simple question.

Here, let me help you. Glossing over the obvious that the world population is much higher than a simple ask of top 25 basketball teams

I asked how many OTHER TEAMS would choose Dawson or Christie or Hawkins to start for their teams over their current players.

So while still stupid, the proper analogy would be how many other men would choose my wife over their current wife.

Since you are obviously a combination of both extremely slow and weirdly Ben defensive. Ill get the ball rolling. Would any of the gophers start for Uconn, Kansas, Kentucky or Arizona as a starting point. I will definitively say NO.
Without looking it's truly shocking that none of the players on a team that have sucked for 30 years wouldn't start for 4 blue blood programs. Truly shocking

Nothing like throwing out a question and then not answering your own question. If you're going to make that argument you better go through each starting lineup and say who would start over each player (for top 6 in each conference and top 15 teams).

Screenshot_20240126-150844.png

Here's the top 24(New Mexico is #25). I don't think Hawkins or Mitchell starts for any of these teams. I don't think Christie does either. I don't think JOJ does either, or Payne. I do think Garcia would. Probably about half or so, just eyeing up their rosters. But we've seen Garcia on a good team not be the best fit.

But to answer said stupid question. Dawson would start over Samson Johnson on Uconn. What a fun question.

I don't really get this line of thinking. I watch as much KU BB as Gopher BB. KU has one, one pure point guard, Dajuan Harris. Yet most every other player excluding Dickinson will bring the ball up at some point or another.
I look at the Gopher and see Hawkins = Harris. Christie, Mitchell, Carrington can all handle the ball.
The U has a maximum of 4 guys you could consider a guard/wing. When Hawkins was injured, we were forced to play Mitchell 40 minutes and give a significant amount of minutes to a PF to play a wing. I am fine with having a rotation that consists of exactly what you talked about - 1 true PG and then a rotation of another 4 guards to play some PG and wing.

Kansas is not in a position where they have to play people out of position and have depth.

Even if you look at the full rosters - MN has 6 guards (including Ramberg and Purcell). Kansas has 12 players listed as guards.

I see someone doesn't watch college basketball after all. Sad!

No you have fully established you are the one that does not watch basketball ahha

Clingan is the Uconn starter, if you watched basketball you would know that he just came back from his second foot injury so they are working him back.

And again, even without Clingan. Dawson isnt a starting 5 over Sampson in the offense Uconn runs

Great try though forgetting about a potential lottery pick and his injury

We are a fringe top 100 team. That isn't progress if you want me to exclude the first couple of seasons, like you tell me to all the time.

And yeah, his 1st HS class has 3 contributors. You act like we are so heavily reliant on this SO class. They only account for a little over 30% of the scoring production, which leaves around 70% for the rest of the roster.

Obviously a coach's first HS class is important, but this class is down to 3 players, and haven't really shown much improvement, as a whole. All these players are basically role players. Which is why the portal is so important, and unfortunately, Ben hasn't proved himself capable of landing and keeping good players, minus Garcia(who probably had to commit to us to be eligible, at the time).

You literally said.....and this is a quote....."But we're 6 weeks away from him being done year 3 and there hasn't been any progress."
And then you have a problem with me pointing out how that's nonsense?

There's no reason to even read the rest of your post. Not an impartial thought in your head.

Actual attendance at the games doesn't equal the number of tickets sold. Lol if you think the Gophers sell anywhere near another 4k on average if Johnson is fired. Depending on the coach hired and the players they bring in.....the needle might not move at all.
They are losing season ticket holders every year this drags on and have already lost a ton. A new coach will stop the bleeding and bring some of them back. 4,000 difference? Probably not. (Unless they get Musselman which is why they should try to even if they have to pay $5 million/year.)

But even someone like Craig Smith probably means an extra 2K/game over the next couple years. More then enough to pay the marginally higher buyout now vs one year from now, which is the point.

No you have fully established you are the one that does not watch basketball ahha

Clingan is the Uconn starter, if you watched basketball you would know that he just came back from his second foot injury so they are working him back.

And again, even without Clingan. Dawson isnt a starting 5 over Sampson in the offense Uconn runs

Great try though forgetting about a potential lottery pick and his injury
I mean they pretty clearly split time even when healthy since Sampson is better on defense while Clingan is better on offense. Which is why Clingan is still coming off the bench even though he's been back for weeks.

They are losing season ticket holders every year this drags on and have already lost a ton. A new coach will stop the bleeding and bring some of them back. 4,000 difference? Probably not unless they get Musselman (which is why they should try to if they have to pay $5 million/year.)

But even someone like Craig Smith probably means an extra 2K/game over the next couple years. More then enough to pay the marginally higher buyout now vs one year from now, which is the point.

Highly doubtful.

You literally said.....and this is a quote....."But we're 6 weeks away from him being done year 3 and there hasn't been any progress."
And then you have a problem with me pointing out how that's nonsense?

There's no reason to even read the rest of your post. Not an impartial thought in your head.

Honest question, what progress has their been other than being better than the worst Gopher team ever? Were still a fringe top 100 team. And like I've pointed out 100 times, we're still worse than the team that got Pitino fired.

Without looking it's truly shocking that none of the players on a team that have sucked for 30 years wouldn't start for 4 blue blood programs. Truly shocking

I agree with you on this point. I don't think any coach that would be brought in would be pulling in blue blood caliber starters.

But maybe a better question would be whether or not he is brining in middle of the pack B1G level talent?

Then has he done a good enough job retaining the players he wanted to keep? Selling your program to your own players is extremely important in the portal age we live in.

Lastly, have the results outpaced the talent level?

All fair questions, in my view.

I really hope you're just trolling.
Trolling in what way? They've split time all year and Clingan is coming off the bench currently. You can go look at the stats when they're both healthy at the beginning of the year.

Honest question, what progress has their been other than being better than the worst Gopher team ever? Were still a fringe top 100 team. And like I've pointed out 100 times, we're still worse than the team that got Pitino fired.
"Progress" in year 3 when you put the bar on the floor in year 1 and buried it 3 feet under in year 2 doesn't mean much. This team is still a bad power 6 team and there's no indication that next year's going to be much different since at least one of the top two players is likely out the door.

I mean they pretty clearly split time even when healthy since Sampson is better on defense while Clingan is better on offense. Which is why Clingan is still coming off the bench even though he's been back for weeks.

Dude just stop. Clingan has been back for 2 games and 1 week. His first game back he played 15 in a blow out. He started all 12 games pre injury and Clingan is also a stopper on D. This is incredible.

Actually, you accidentally forgetting Clingan and having to back pedal has really hurt the case.

Now in reality Garcias best chance at minutes on Uconn is the 10ish minutes that Karaban sits.

Uconn isnt starting a finesse PF with a eFG% of 47.5 that cant defend at Center over true big men like Clingan and Sampson. In a offense that doesnt ask for a ball dominant big in Garcia.

Dawson would get eaten alive against the centers of the big east.

Trolling in what way? They've split time all year and Clingan is coming off the bench currently. You can go look at the stats when they're both healthy at the beginning of the year.

Clingan has started 85% of their games. He's coming back from injury. Claiming Johnson as a starter is pretty disingenuous. He's also a potential 1st rounder.

Top Bottom