Most disappointing season in my time being a fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw my first Gopher game in 1968. Been a fan since. Lots of disappointment in those years., Perhaps none as disappointing as this year.

Saw my first Gopher game in 1968. Been a fan since. Lots of disappointment in those years., Perhaps none as disappointing as this year.
You have me beat. My first game was November 1976 when I froze my ass off watching tOSU win at Memorial.

This is exactly why we want our coach to go for the win and go for it on 4th and goal from our opponents 2 when we are down 0-3 against our rival, who is a rival due to proximity, not recent history on the gridiron.

We are starving for success, just once, and it is two yards away. Go get it.

He is 0-2 in these situations, the first being the punt from WI 37-yard line on 4th and 2.

And quit telling us you are playing for FGs at the end of the half. We haven’t sat here watching the team, reading message boards, etc. for decades without even a Western Division Championship to watch us run out the clock in the first half from our opponents 15 yard line.

Hang in there OP. Disappointing year but I haven’t given up on PJF. I have given up on a few of his assistants. Maybe he just needs to step away from it for a moment or literally or figuratively go for a walk in the wilderness seeking visions to make the necessary changes. Maybe he needs an offensive consultant he trusts. Failure is the best teacher and he’s failed a lot the last several years. With the right people around him this team can be really good. Time will tell.

Each of us has our threshold. I also quit the NFL as a serious fan after 2009 and it has been a good decision. It is probably harder to avoid Vikings and NFL talk if still living in MN.
Good for you! I didn't make it past 1999.

Good for you! I didn't make it past 1999.

I remember Cris Carter weeping on the field. How could that team lose, and lose like that?

I can actually deal “ok” with teams losing in bizarre and sometimes depressingly comical ways. What broke me was my perception the NFL plays favorites, officials are corrupted or even worse directed to call games a certain way, and whiny players. It all came to a head that night vs the Saints.

I remember Cris Carter weeping on the field. How could that team lose, and lose like that?

I can actually deal “ok” with teams losing in bizarre and sometimes depressingly comical ways. What broke me was my perception the NFL plays favorites, officials are corrupted or even worse directed to call games a certain way, and whiny players. It all came to a head that night vs the Saints.

Do you remember the Michigan comeback win in 2003? We were up 28-7 in the 4th Q. Nothing will ever top for me the level of disappointment I felt after that game. I think things would have been vastly different for us if we held on to win - but we are Minnesota. So, when the Texas Tech bowl game collapse happened later for Mason, it didn't even sting because I had been conditioned. Or how about the dropped punt vs. WI to lose in 2005? For that game, the quote from Barry Alvarez was "When you think you've seen it all, you haven't seen it all,"...

So, I am no longer shocked when we Gopher up a game - I stop myself from believing too much because I have seen too much at this point.

WHEW -- I can not disagree with ANY of your points - your frustrations echo mine. This season could still be salvaged though and if they were to win out and finish 9-4, I would still call that a fairly successful year. I think you and others are losing confidence in Fleck and his staff and I get that. I really wish they hadn't signed him to the extension right before the 2 losses - that was poor timing.

MY most disappointing Gopher year was 1982. I was a freshman and had season tickets. Ray Christensen said before the season "My prediction is 8-3 with Ho hen see." Gophers were led by a very promising QB Mike Hohensee and had a great RB named Tony Hunter who could fly. They won their first 3 games beating Ohio U 57-3, beat Purdue 36-10, then drilled Washington St. 41-11. This got them a #19 rating. We were really looking good!! But then unfortunately in the next game a harmless little swing pass against Illinois turned into about an 80 yard TD pass and then the wheels fell off the cart. I have never seen so many injuries to one team - ever. And as they added up, so did the losses. Each week gave new hope to winning -- but they would lose their last 8 and end up 3-8.

I did not get seasons tickets the next year -- the debacle of 1983 -- because I knew what was coming. But 1982 really was a tough one to take. Mike Hohensee is still one of my all time favorite Gopher QB's though!
Must’ve been ‘81 then because I remember Hohensee and the Gophers beating the Buckeyes at Memorial stadium. Agree he was as good a Gopher QB as I’ve seen. Could run AND throw both at a high level.

Do you remember the Michigan comeback win in 2003? We were up 28-7 in the 4th Q. Nothing will ever top for me the level of disappointment I felt after that game. I think things would have been vastly different for us if we held on to win - but we are Minnesota. So, when the Texas Tech bowl game collapse happened later for Mason, it didn't even sting because I had been conditioned. Or how about the dropped punt vs. WI to lose in 2005? For that game, the quote from Barry Alvarez was "When you think you've seen it all, you haven't seen it all,"...

So, I am no longer shocked when we Gopher up a game - I stop myself from believing too much because I have seen too much at this point.
I'm sorry, I know not of which game you are referring to here...

Must’ve been ‘81 then because I remember Hohensee and the Gophers beating the Buckeyes at Memorial stadium. Agree he was as good a Gopher QB as I’ve seen. Could run AND throw both at a high level.
‘82 was disappointing largely because of the optimism created by the successes of ‘81 (beating Ohio State and Rose Bowl-bound Iowa). Hohensee was QB both years.

WHEW -- I can not disagree with ANY of your points - your frustrations echo mine. This season could still be salvaged though and if they were to win out and finish 9-4, I would still call that a fairly successful year. I think you and others are losing confidence in Fleck and his staff and I get that. I really wish they hadn't signed him to the extension right before the 2 losses - that was poor timing.

MY most disappointing Gopher year was 1982. I was a freshman and had season tickets. Ray Christensen said before the season "My prediction is 8-3 with Ho hen see." Gophers were led by a very promising QB Mike Hohensee and had a great RB named Tony Hunter who could fly. They won their first 3 games beating Ohio U 57-3, beat Purdue 36-10, then drilled Washington St. 41-11. This got them a #19 rating. We were really looking good!! But then unfortunately in the next game a harmless little swing pass against Illinois turned into about an 80 yard TD pass and then the wheels fell off the cart. I have never seen so many injuries to one team - ever. And as they added up, so did the losses. Each week gave new hope to winning -- but they would lose their last 8 and end up 3-8.

I did not get seasons tickets the next year -- the debacle of 1983 -- because I knew what was coming. But 1982 really was a tough one to take. Mike Hohensee is still one of my all time favorite Gopher QB's though!
That was my first Gooher game, and my brother took me for my birthday. The electricity in the Metrodome was really high and then got very low.

and those two flagrant roughing the passer calls the Vikings did not get, for which the NFL apologized the next week. Plus, Greg Williams, the disgraced DC of the Saints, came out the week before and said that the Saints wanted to "get" Brett Favre, not just "get after" him. The NFL had nothing to say. One of the missed calls resulted in a damaging turnover. Of course, the other 5 turnovers didn't help, like the fumble by Peterson at the goal line. I have hated the Saints ever since. When Payton and Saints Nation whined endlessly about how that missed PI call vs. the Rams cost them a Super Bowl trip, they forgot that they didn't deserve to go in 2010.

Last edited:

I was only 7 years old in 1957 but got my introduction to Gopher heartbreak in 1956 when practically every adult I knew was crestfallen by a 7-0 loss to Iowa that cost Minnesota a Rose Bowl trip. In 1957, they opened the season 3-0, reached #3 in the rankings and had Bobby Cox on the cover of Sports Illustrated. My dad and uncles dared to hope again. The team went on to lose 5 of their last 6 and two dismal seasons followed in 1958 and 1959.

I actually left on a ski trip with a UMich alum that day…he’s a huge UMich fan and uber-annoying homer. He played a long recording of Bo giving a pregame speech on the ride up. Bastard 😄. Cold, but I admire that.

Got this from Mrs. Billd this evening...

View attachment 15327

It's a very nice collection of articles and Gophers content for the team from 1881-1981. In very good condition with some great stuff. It may have been in hardcopy but this was a bound, magazine-style publication. It was published by the UM Athletic Department with the proceeds to the Williams Fund.

She was saving it for Christmas but decided it would make a better birthday gift today. She was right.

Certainly lifted my spirits. Anyone else recognize it from the day?
Yes, it is a good publication on Gopher football history. Another good one is the University of Minnesota Football Vault - huge, in a box-like sleeve, with fancy stuff like faux tickets, various other inserts as in a photo album, and a small sleeve with examples of game program covers. Loaded with photos of historic seasons, going way back.

I was only 7 years old in 1957 but got my introduction to Gopher heartbreak in 1956 when practically every adult I knew was crestfallen by a 7-0 loss to Iowa that cost Minnesota a Rose Bowl trip. In 1957, they opened the season 3-0, reached #3 in the rankings and had Bobby Cox on the cover of Sports Illustrated. My dad and uncles dared to hope again. The team went on to lose 5 of their last 6 and two dismal seasons followed in 1958 and 1959.
You have a terrific memory - painful to recall all that. Late in the season, as a teen, I sat in a drizzle with my girlfriend watching the Gophers lose to Michigan that year. Along with 1949, one of the most disappointing Gopher football seasons ever, because so much was expected, as you say.

Yes, it is a good publication on Gopher football history. Another good one is the University of Minnesota Football Vault - huge, in a box-like sleeve, with fancy stuff like faux tickets, various other inserts as in a photo album, and a small sleeve with examples of game program covers. Loaded with photos of historic seasons, going way back.
Yep, have The Vault too. Actually 2 of them. Probably should gift one to Post of the Year when that comes around...

A veteran QB two years removed from one of, if not the best, season a Gopher QB has had in the last 50 years. The most experienced O-line we will likely ever have. A veteran D-Line going 8 deep. Talented transfers at WR and LB positions and what looks to be a future game-changer at CB. One of the best RBs we’ve had, with a ton of depth behind him where we can send in highly recruited players when he goes down.

Additionally, we dodge Michigan, PSU, MSU and play OSU the best time to play them – first game of the year and the first start for their QB. Also down years for our biggest rivals – we play Iowa while they have a QB making his first start ever, Wisky is experiencing in-season transfers and some QB issues, and Nebraska is a hot mess. NW is one of their down swings. Everything is set up for us to win the West.

We also have a coach who I believe wants to be here. He cares about the school, community, and our traditions. This isn’t Mason, who never really wanted to be here, and it showed when it came to his recruiting, his indifference towards the “trinket” games (his words, not mine), or the other teams fans tearing down our goalposts. To his credit, our coach has raised expectations and allowed us to get our hopes up about the Gophers in ways many of us haven’t done before.

Then we lose at home to 31 and 14.5 underdogs. We also refuse to win a game Iowa begs us to take.

Why? Not because we aren’t talented. Not because we are playing in an off-campus stadium devoid of any excitement. Rather our coach is maddeningly conservative and simply refuses to learn from previous gaffes.

The biggest game in his coaching career, with a chance to make a statement against WI, and he chooses to punt on 4th and 2 from the WI 37. He watches WI convert multiple 4th downs and go on to win the game. Did he learn from that? We have not had a lead against Iowa for 250+ consecutive minutes. We have a chance to break that streak early in the game on a 4th and goal from the 2. We elect to kick a FG to tie the game 3-3. Later, Iowa goes for it on 4-1 in their territory to extend a drive and kill more clock.

In a game against Maryland this year, we refuse to try to score a TD before the half and our coach admits to playing for a FG. He uses the same strategy against Iowa and those four points change the game. He admits in his post-game presser he was afraid of taking a sack and making it a longer FG attempt. Mind you, we were at the IA 15. A sack still leaves us well within FG range. The 32-yard drive took over 4 minutes before the half expired.

Against Bowling Green our best WR goes out of the game early, and our coach decides to “really simplify the game plan , really quick”, as if the difference in talent between the worst team in the MAC and the Gophers comes down to that one player.

While losing in the fourth quarter, we continue to bleed the clock to the point where we get a delay of game penalty. On 3rd and 2. On a must-have two-point conversion, we call a pass to a receiver short of the end-zone, giving us three trips into the red zone and a two-point attempt where we fail to even try to throw into the end zone. We consistently refuse to catch or field punts or return kickoffs, again fitting into an overall conservative mindset that permeates everything we do.

Even more maddening is this isn’t who our coach appears to be outside of gameday. He is energetic, creative, and isn’t afraid to put himself out there. Coming up with Row the Boat opens himself up to all kinds of criticism and pot-shots, but he isn’t afraid and steers into it.

Everything is there, with the exception of the easiest thing to have: the most basic in-game decision making. Problem is, it doesn’t appear as though it is ever going to change. PJ talks about his ACT score of 18, and how, while one of his players is going to be an actuary, he doesn’t know what an actuary is, or how another is planning to specialize in a specific branch of medicine, and he has no idea what it is and barely got by biology. I believe him. I have watched him refuse to learn lessons over and over and over again.

My wife, friends, girlfriends, regulars at the bar, etc. don’t want to hear me talk about this irrelevant team anymore. That leaves me with this message board and the fact I feel compelled to type this has me thinking I need to divest my investment in Gopher football. I did the same with the Vikings after 2009 and I am a free man at 4:00 EST today. I have already cancelled the family trip to Bloomington next week and am no longer holding off on travel plans to see where the team might be playing a bowl game. I am afraid we may have reached our ceiling with PJ. Bielema or Ferentz would have won these past two games with either team. It doesn’t appear having more talent and catching some luck (we caught some of that yesterday) is enough to overcome the decisions and mindset and nothing is going to change our coach’s ways. I have tickets for the WI game. Give me more proof you have taken us as far as you are capable of and I’ll have to find an EPL team to go in on. Soccer looks fun – well at least watching the game at the bar on Saturday morning looks fun.
I hear you and I feel your pain.

Lighten up. It’s not the end of the world. Things will get better not necessarily this season.

There is still two games left to be played.

Most disappointing season in my time being a fan​

Nah...The 90s were pretty brutal.

Was that the bountygate game?

Was that the bountygate game?

Cris? No, 1998 team. While some people probably went for long walks, punched walls, pounded drinks, turned the tv off I stared at the TV and watched the whole aftermath in a state of semi-shock. Not that I’d like to relive it but I wonder if anyone has the original telecast.

Cris? No, 1998 team. While some people probably went for long walks, punched walls, pounded drinks, turned the tv off I stared at the TV and watched the whole aftermath in a state of semi-shock. Not that I’d like to relive it but I wonder if anyone has the original telecast.
Ha! I did something. Similar. Just sat in my chair at the dome for like 15 minutes after the game. Was up for another dose, but after 2009 had enough. Occasionally watch the games, but not much more.

and those two flagrant roughing the passer calls the Vikings did not get, for which the NFL apologized the next week. Plus, Greg Williams, the disgraced DC of the Saints, came out the week before and said that the Saints wanted to "get" Brett Favre, not just "get after" him. The NFL had nothing to say. One of the missed calls resulted in a damaging turnover. Of course, the other 5 turnovers didn't help, like the fumble by Peterson at the goal line. I have hated the Saints ever since. When Payton and Saints Nation whined endlessly about how that missed PI call vs. the Rams cost them a Super Bowl trip, they forgot that they didn't deserve to go in 2010.
Vikings could have just played better in that game, and it wouldn't have mattered.
Turnover the ball 14 times (many times unprompted), well you deserve to lose.

A bruised Favre ankle doesn't make that much difference.

Ha! I did something. Similar. Just sat in my chair at the dome for like 15 minutes after the game. Was up for another dose, but after 2009 had enough. Occasionally watch the games, but not much more.

This is a classic Grantland post. I’m sure you’ve all seen it but a fun reminder we’re all part of the tribe.

“There’s no right or wrong way to react to the sight of your favorite team self-destructing on national television. But through the years, fans seemed to have developed a variety of methods for handling it. The next time you have to sit through a sports disaster for the ages, here are 20 different types of unhappy sports fans you might find yourself in the room with.

1. THE FAN WHO PUNCHES A WALL​

This guy (and it’s almost certainly going to be a guy) reacts to a devastating loss with physical violence. Usually that comes in the form of a wall-punch, though occasionally he’ll mix in a double-palmed coffee table slam or a pulverized remote control. This will be followed by an uncomfortable silence as everyone slowly inches away from him. Eventually, somebody may try to break the tension by offering him a drink or complimenting his Ed Hardy shirt.

Your level of amusement with this fan’s antics will be directly correlated to whether you’re watching the game at his house or yours.

2. THE SINGLE F-BOMB FAN​

This fan is a traditionalist. He or she responds to every negative twist and turn with a single f-bomb, followed by a brooding silence. Simple. Timeless. Almost, dare we say, elegant.

This fan actually comes in two sub-varieties: The short f-bomb, or the drawn-out f-bomb. The former gets bonus points for volume, while the latter is aiming for endurance.

3. THE “OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD NOOO!” FAN​

This is another classic reaction, though it’s rare among veteran fans. That’s because it implies some sense of surprise at the end result, meaning that on some level, the fan was actually expecting that something good might happen. If you see somebody reacting to a play this way, you can count on them being a relatively new fan. Don’t worry, they’ll be cynical and broken down like you within a few years.

Fun fact: You can predict the length of the “NOOO!” by counting the number of “Oh my Gods” that come directly before it: Each “Oh my God” adds one additional “O.” It’s science!

4. THE SUPERSTITIOUS FAN​

This fan is not one to passively sit by while the game goes bad. He has a plan, and that plan will save the day as long as everyone just does what they’re told.

He will usually start off simple. Expect to be ordered to switch seats. Food items will be banished from the room. Alternate jerseys may be assigned. Furniture will almost definitely be moved around. If the game is available on another channel, expect to end up watching that even if it’s being broadcast in a language you do not understand.

As the situation deteriorates, the Superstitious Fan will come up with increasingly complicated ways to turn the fortunes around. This could involve group meditation, ritualistic chanting, or setting something on fire. Just go with it. Look, do you want to win or not?

An important note: Do not question Superstitious Fans. They have a lot on their mind, and they certainly don’t need to be bothered with a lot of silly queries like “Why are we doing this?” and “Have you lost your mind?” and “Didn’t you have a beard five minutes ago?” and “Wait, why does my spouse have to watch the rest of the game from the fire escape?”

5. THE “HOW?” FAN​

As demonstrated brilliantly by that one guy at the 2:05-minute mark in the Leafs video, some fans respond to misery simply by asking “How?” over and over again. If the loss is traumatic enough, they may spend the rest of their lives randomly shouting “HOW?” during movies, job interviews, and their children’s weddings.

Nobody ever answers them, nor do they want to be answered. There is no answer. There is only pain.

6. THE “WHY?” FAN​

This is the more philosophical version of the “How?” fan. This fan is skipping past the formalities and going straight for the big question.

Note that while the “How?” guy isn’t addressing anyone specifically, the “Why?” guy most certainly is. He’s demanding answers from the sports gods themselves. And the answer is always the same: “Because we hate you.”

7. THE FAN WHO KIND OF SEEMS TO MAYBE BE CRYING A LITTLE BIT​

Do not try to talk to this fan. Just pretend you didn’t notice. In fact, let’s all agree to never speak of this again.

8. THE OVER-THE-TOP MELTDOWN FAN​

Featuring all the anger of Single F-Bomb Fan, but lacking his sense of self-control, this fan reacts to a loss the way a toddler reacts to having a toy taken away: with screaming and other assorted histrionics. He makes everyone uncomfortable when he is watching in a group, which he’s probably not, because nobody likes having Over-the-Top Meltdown Fans around.

There is a 10 percent chance this fan is legitimately unstable, and a 90 percent chance he’s putting on a show because he’s recording himself for an obviously fake YouTube video.

9. THE PESSIMIST​

This fan spends almost the entire game predicting that something terrible is about to happen. Long before it becomes clear that the game is going south, this fan will annoy everyone by coming up with increasingly negative scenarios that he insists are about to unfold. Eventually, his lamentations become a source of constant background noise, like a dripping faucet.

This will last until, inevitably, one of the other fans will threaten this person with physical violence if he doesn’t shut up immediately. It will probably be the “Punches the Wall” guy. Everyone else will nod silently.

10. THE FAN WHO SAYS “I KNEW IT”​

Right after the game hits rock bottom and the outcome is no longer in doubt, this fan is there to tell you that he knew it was going to happen all along. This usually means he repeats the phrase “I knew it” in increasingly aggravated fashion, often to no one in particular. For some reason, this may also involve lots of agitated nodding.

By the way, this fan has no relation to The Pessimist, who at least gets credit for going negative early on. Instead, this fan’s post-disaster “I knew it” tirade will be the first and only indication he’s given all game long that he actually did know it.

11. THE FAN WHO KEEPS YELLING “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!”​

This amateur analyst has exactly one page in his playbook: Furiously gesturing at somebody while yelling “What are you doing?” As the game goes on and the situation becomes more dire, this fan continues to zero in on somebody, anybody, to criticize. By the end of the game, he’s doing it during every play, every replay, and most commercial breaks.

Note that this fan will never answer his own question, because he actually has absolutely no idea what anybody’s doing.

More here:

#18 in ‘99 #16 in ‘09 😄

16. THE FAN WHO SUDDENLY HAS TO GO FOR A WALK​

This fan responds to adversity by removing himself from the situation. Sometimes, this will be accompanied by a hurried explanation. Often, he’ll just quietly get up and leave. You may or may not ever see him again.

If you find yourself watching an important game with this fan and he announces that he’s leaving, let him go. Do not try to talk him into staying. There’s a reason he doesn’t trust himself to be around other human beings right now. You do not want to find out what that reason is.

17. THE FAN WHO ISN’T THERE BECAUSE HE ONLY WATCHES BIG GAMES AT HOME ALONE​

You won’t see this fan because he’s politely declined your invitation to watch the game with a group. He takes sports more seriously than friendship or camaraderie or even basic human interaction, which is to say that he has his priorities straight. (Side note: This fan’s absence also might be related to that one time that he was the Might Be Crying Fan.)

You may get a text message or two from this fan as the game goes on. More likely, you won’t. Once the game is over and the magnitude of the disaster has become clear, be a good friend and phone in a police wellness check.

18. THE NON-REACTION FAN​

This fan barely acknowledges what’s just happened. In fact, you have to study him carefully to find any reaction at all. He might slump slightly, or offer a subtle head shake. There’s a slim chance that he might mumble something indecipherable under his breath.

But that’s it. Whatever chaos is unfolding around him, he won’t acknowledge it. If you didn’t know any better, you’d almost think he was at peace with what he’d just seen. There’s a sense of serenity to him, like a still pond on a windless morning.

Make no mistake: No fan is hurting worse than this one.

Most disappointing season in my time being a fan​

Nah...The 90s were pretty brutal.
90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017

All more disappointing for me.

some for different reasons. This season, on the field, was disappointing in a 2015 kind of way for me….except we didn’t lose our coach this year…so that’s more disappointing.

Exactly. Win and folks will come. Bottom line. But slogans won't sell the public without wins to back it up.
Even a close loss can be accepted by fans if you are not playing prevent offense all day.

Sorry 2009. Not the 1998/99 team.

I'm sorry, I know not of which game you are referring to here...
We had a 3 TD lead on Michigan at the Dome well into the 4th quarter. They ran about 15 straight screen passes and kept scoring. Mason had no answer. A packed Dome and everybody knew what was coming. Gopher D could not stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom