Most disappointing season in my time being a fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL. Well, no one ever called you smart. 🤷‍♂️
We just beat a team that is 0-8 in the B1G. Your response? Strut around this thread like this proved something. Wow. Unbelievable.
Reality is we have a CHANCE to win the west going into the last week of the year. If a season in which you have a CHANCE to win the west is the most disappointing Gophers Season in your lifetime.... that is frankly ridiculous.

Reality is we have a CHANCE to win the west going into the last week of the year. If a season in which you have a CHANCE to win the west is the most disappointing Gophers Season in your lifetime.... that is frankly ridiculous.
and if we beat Illinois as 14.5 favorites at home and Iowa in game we dominated it would have already been won.

But you’re the guy who doesn’t think those loses changed anything. You even all capped “anything”. We just ain’t gonna see eye-to-eye.

This thread is so f-ing stupid and clearly lacks any real longtime perspective. Try the Wacker years. So much apathy. Try the Brewster years. Even more of a shitshow.

We spent DECADES just hoping to go to a bowl - and that happened most of the time with a losing conference record. Get serious, dude. How short is your memory?

Yeah, we have very frustrating losses this year, but we've also won 4 Big Ten road games and have secured a WINNING conference record for the 2nd time in 3 years.

If we beat Wisconsin next week, it will be remembered as quite a special season - that could have been legendary. But regardless of outcome, FAR from the most disappointing season as a Gopher fan unless you just started watching just this year.
This is why you are WriterGoph, not ReaderGoph.

I wrote, prob not as well as you would have, exactly why this year is different than the Wacker and Brewster years, and how we have expectations and how those expectations can lead to disappointment.

I’ll paste it here for you:

“A veteran QB two years removed from one of, if not the best, season a Gopher QB has had in the last 50 years. The most experienced O-line we will likely ever have. A veteran D-Line going 8 deep. Talented transfers at WR and LB positions and what looks to be a future game-changer at CB. One of the best RBs we’ve had, with a ton of depth behind him where we can send in highly recruited players when he goes down.

Additionally, we dodge Michigan, PSU, MSU and play OSU the best time to play them – first game of the year and the first start for their QB. Also down years for our biggest rivals – we play Iowa while they have a QB making his first start ever, Wisky is experiencing in-season transfers and some QB issues, and Nebraska is a hot mess. NW is one of their down swings. Everything is set up for us to win the West.

We also have a coach who I believe wants to be here. He cares about the school, community, and our traditions. This isn’t Mason, who never really wanted to be here, and it showed when it came to his recruiting, his indifference towards the “trinket” games (his words, not mine), or the other teams fans tearing down our goalposts. To his credit, our coach has raised expectations and allowed us to get our hopes up about the Gophers in ways many of us haven’t done before.”

LOL. Well, no one ever called you smart. 🤷‍♂️
We just beat a team that is 0-8 in the B1G. Your response? Strut around this thread like this proved something. Wow. Unbelievable.
Wow- you're now stalking me on here because I don't hang out on the OTB regularly any longer?????-

You seriously need help and PS, you non-educated sports shtick won't work over here - too many rational folks.

Why don't you call me a vulgarity over here internet tough guy, so we can see how long it takes you to get banned?? I never reported you to the mods - not my style, but I'm sure many will kiddo - back to ignore for you, sad clown.

Finally if my posts bother you that much then stop reading them - get it Spencer Dimwitty???

Last edited:

WHEW -- I can not disagree with ANY of your points - your frustrations echo mine. This season could still be salvaged though and if they were to win out and finish 9-4, I would still call that a fairly successful year. I think you and others are losing confidence in Fleck and his staff and I get that. I really wish they hadn't signed him to the extension right before the 2 losses - that was poor timing.

MY most disappointing Gopher year was 1982. I was a freshman and had season tickets. Ray Christensen said before the season "My prediction is 8-3 with Ho hen see." Gophers were led by a very promising QB Mike Hohensee and had a great RB named Tony Hunter who could fly. They won their first 3 games beating Ohio U 57-3, beat Purdue 36-10, then drilled Washington St. 41-11. This got them a #19 rating. We were really looking good!! But then unfortunately in the next game a harmless little swing pass against Illinois turned into about an 80 yard TD pass and then the wheels fell off the cart. I have never seen so many injuries to one team - ever. And as they added up, so did the losses. Each week gave new hope to winning -- but they would lose their last 8 and end up 3-8.

I did not get seasons tickets the next year -- the debacle of 1983 -- because I knew what was coming. But 1982 really was a tough one to take. Mike Hohensee is still one of my all time favorite Gopher QB's though!
I sat through the 1981 through 1985 seasons as a student ticket holder. Mike Hohensee deserves to be remembered better.

It's easy (for me) to lose perspective. Taking a step back to think about it, this will be the 3rd year since the divisions started that the Gophs play the Fadgers for the West lead. 2014 (loss- tied for 2nd), 2019 (loss - tied for 1st), and now 2021. It's a big week. Planning to be there next Saturday.

You're a one-man wrecking crew here. Go get 'em!! Stick to your guns!
Well it’s not too hard when someone posts how the thread isn’t aging well after beating a two-win team.

I expect to hear the same when we hopefully beat WI next week. That still won’t change how I think we should be a one-loss team right now and have all of the subsequent excitement. And…. I detailed how I think we didn’t loss those games due to anything outside of the most basic things within our control.

It's easy (for me) to lose perspective. Taking a step back to think about it, this will be the 3rd year since the divisions started that the Gophs play the Fadgers for the West lead. 2014 (loss- tied for 2nd), 2019 (loss - tied for 1st), and now 2021. It's a big week. Planning to be there next Saturday.
This is true, assuming Nebraska beats Iowa.
The stinky Iowegans have won 7 of the last 8 meetings. You can pencil 2021 in for a chance to win the West outright. It's not there yet.

and if we beat Illinois as 14.5 favorites at home and Iowa in game we dominated it would have already been won.

But you’re the guy who doesn’t think those loses changed anything. You even all capped “anything”. We just ain’t gonna see eye-to-eye.
The weird reality of this season is that we wouldn’t have won the west already even if we beat Iowa and Illinois. We would have had 1 big ten loss, and Wisky has 2, so that game would be for the west. Granted we wouldn’t need additional help like we do now, but we still would need to beat Wisconsin regardless.

Yes, the Gophers can still win the West (if certain things happen). The season is not over. This is true.

And it is also true that the Gophers lost 3 winnable games this year. had they won those games, they would have a better record and be in line for a better bowl game.

So both of those things are true.

Your choice, as a fan, is which one you choose to focus on. or you don't have to choose. You can accept that both situations are true and determine what balance to strike between the two situations.

And BTW - 1965 - Twins lost the World Series to the Dodgers in 7 games. I was 10 years old. Still remember listening to game 7 on the radio, while at my grandmother's house in Wisconsin. that was my "Minnesota Fan" moment. 2nd was Jan 1970 when the Vikings lost the Super Bowl to the Chiefs and bleepin' Hank Stram. I still grit my teeth when the NFL shows that clip of Stram yukking it up on the sideline during the game.

The guy who expected Rose Bowls from Wacker is taking about perspective. That’s rich.

That isn't what he said Mr. Straw Man.

BTW we can be "disappointed" but still enjoy the season and be happy with the result overall. Just because they didn't meet our expectations doesn't make it a bad season. And I will take it over most of the seasons I have watched in my lifetime. (42 years)

It is what it is but this is why Minnesota fans in general really kind of suck. They have such an inferiority complex they never let themselves enjoy anything. It is such a zero sum game of "Win it all or it matters not" that they will never be satisfied.

That isn't what he said Mr. Straw Man.

BTW we can be "disappointed" but still enjoy the season and be happy with the result overall. Just because they didn't meet our expectations doesn't make it a bad season. And I will take it over most of the seasons I have watched in my lifetime. (42 years)

It is what it is but this is why Minnesota fans in general really kind of suck. They have such an inferiority complex they never let themselves enjoy anything. It is such a zero sum game of "Win it all or it matters not" that they will never be satisfied.
Where did I say I didn’t enjoy any part of the season?

This is why Minnesota fans in general really kind of suck. They put words in other peoples mouths, and then say, “how could you say such a thing - even though you never said that thing I am saying you said”.

Seriously - going into the season, there was a lot of hope/expectations that this team could at least approach 2019 - or maybe even top it in terms of rivalry games and a Division title.

Now, it appears that none of those goals will be achieved. Yes, they have a chance to beat WI - but that will require the team AND COACHES to have their best game of the year. Are they capable of that? I have my doubts.

If I had to bet my own money, I would say the Gophers beat Indiana, lose to WI and finish 7-5.
Go back to the start of the season - would anyone have said that 7-5 would not be a disappointment?

Yes, Mo got hurt - but the running game was the least of this team's issues.

Bottom line for me: when Fleck was hired, all we heard was that the team's level of success under Mason, Kill and Claeys wasn't good enough. 7 or 8 wins and making it to a mid-level bowl game wasn't good enough. and now, look where this team is going to finish.
Very good post.

This is why Minnesota fans in general really kind of suck. They put words in other peoples mouths, and then say, “how could you say such a thing - even though you never said that thing I am saying you said”.

You mean like you did?

I admit, the people posting that this isn't aging well were being ridiculous, but I could say the same about the premise of this thread in general. No skin off my nose either way though.

The bolded... just, wow.

Hey, any thoughts you'd like to share on the loss to Bowling Green? I mean, you haven't mentioned it in your last few posts. I just want to make sure you hadn't forgotten about it.

By the way, you're still disappointed in the Gophers' season, yes? Just to clarify.

Wow- you're now stalking me on here because I don't hang out on the OTB regularly any longer?????-

You seriously need help and PS, you non-educated sports shtick won't work over here - too many rational folks.

Why don't you call me a vulgarity over here internet tough guy, so we can see how long it takes you to get banned?? I never reported you to the mods - not my style, but I'm sure many will kiddo - back to ignore for you, sad clown.

Finally if my posts bother you that much then stop reading them - get it Spencer Dimwitty???
LOL. I respond to a (dumb) post you make and I’m “stalking” you, I’m an “internet tough guy”, and you threaten to report me to the mods? 🙄
Did you stop taking your meds again?

Well, you are being very literal. This is unlikely to be the worst season in anyone’s lifetime and if we beat WI it will be better than many in my lifetime (I’ve seen some baaad seasons). It is still a disappointment tho - and beating 0-8 Indiana hardly warrants the “this thread didn’t age well” post I responded to. This thread is aging just fine.

lol. Still a disappointing season. Could easily have had only 1 loss going into next week's game against Wisconsin. But yet, here we are. Not going to the B1G Championship. Again.
No question. Disappointing season. But this team isnt very good. So I’m going to go ahead and not think it’s the most depressing ever when there have been some pretty depressing season.

7 of our top 10 Offensive non tight end skill guys have missed multiple games and we are finishing the season with a winning big ten record for the 7th time since 1975

call me crazy but it’s disappointing but not the worst ever

No question. Disappointing season. But this team isnt very good. So I’m going to go ahead and not think it’s the most depressing ever when there have been some pretty depressing season.

7 of our top 10 Offensive non tight end skill guys have missed multiple games and we are finishing the season with a winning big ten record for the 7th time since 1975

call me crazy but it’s disappointing but not the worst ever
Completely agree.

Sweet chance to win the win the west in the last week of the season. Just need a bunch of chit to break right because we our coaches are like Constanza swimming in cold water.

Iowa wins on a block punt. We don’t try to block punts, or return punts, or field punts unless they are kicked right to us.

Iowa wins on a block punt. We don’t try to block punts, or return punts, or field punts unless they are kicked right to us.
We literally have blocked a punt for a touchdown within last 18 games. And they aren’t that common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom