Most disappointing season in my time being a fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the preseason poll predictions were not that far off.

Seriously - going into the season, there was a lot of hope/expectations that this team could at least approach 2019 - or maybe even top it in terms of rivalry games and a Division title.

Now, it appears that none of those goals will be achieved. Yes, they have a chance to beat WI - but that will require the team AND COACHES to have their best game of the year. Are they capable of that? I have my doubts.

If I had to bet my own money, I would say the Gophers beat Indiana, lose to WI and finish 7-5.
Go back to the start of the season - would anyone have said that 7-5 would not be a disappointment?

Yes, Mo got hurt - but the running game was the least of this team's issues.

Bottom line for me: when Fleck was hired, all we heard was that the team's level of success under Mason, Kill and Claeys wasn't good enough. 7 or 8 wins and making it to a mid-level bowl game wasn't good enough. and now, look where this team is going to finish.

Maybe the preseason poll predictions were not that far off.
They weren’t. I thought they could out perform their preseason predictions going into the year. Then the team lost its best player the third quarter of the season.
then 3 of the top 4 wideouts have missed time.

it is what it is, disappointing.
we aren’t some great team that messed up. We are a solid team that didn’t over perform. We under performed in two games.
Maybe we should fire the coach.

Seriously - going into the season, there was a lot of hope/expectations that this team could at least approach 2019 - or maybe even top it in terms of rivalry games and a Division title.

Now, it appears that none of those goals will be achieved. Yes, they have a chance to beat WI - but that will require the team AND COACHES to have their best game of the year. Are they capable of that? I have my doubts.

If I had to bet my own money, I would say the Gophers beat Indiana, lose to WI and finish 7-5.
Go back to the start of the season - would anyone have said that 7-5 would not be a disappointment?

Bottom line for me: when Fleck was hired, all we heard was that the team's level of success under Mason, Kill and Claeys wasn't good enough. 7 or 8 wins and making it to a mid-level bowl game wasn't good enough. and now, look where this team is going to finish.
When fleck was hired the team was being protested on their way to practice and was a national embarrassment, the coaching search had nothing to do with on the field.
If kill was the coach in 2016 he might have been able to survive the scandal

I don’t think many people predicted the 2019 team would be that good. Similarly, I would bet a significant amount of money the next overachieving Gopher team will come out of nowhere.

Sometimes hype, older players are overrated. Young and talented can carry teams as well.

For us to beat Wisconsin… they will have to roll over and try not to score. The Gopher coaches will play for a close game, remain conservative on play calling when they could break the game open (even if WI is shiiitin the bed) and then the Gophers will F up the close game because they’ll be beat by a coach w some kahunnas when it’s on the line.
Well if it is the chance for win #7, I would hope they have the sense to pull out all the stops in trying to win.

My dream is to have the Gophers recruit a QB that can run and throw. A mobile QB can fix a lot of issues with plays that breakdown.
We can hope, and what you describe would be ideal. I think that we could do pretty well with someone who was either a superior runner or a superior passer, and at least adequate in their non-superior skill. Still waiting for that person to emerge.

Got this from Mrs. Billd this evening...

View attachment 15327

It's a very nice collection of articles and Gophers content for the team from 1881-1981. In very good condition with some great stuff. It may have been in hardcopy but this was a bound, magazine-style publication. It was published by the UM Athletic Department with the proceeds to the Williams Fund.

She was saving it for Christmas but decided it would make a better birthday gift today. She was right.

Certainly lifted my spirits. Anyone else recognize it from the day?
Happy belated! Thanks for your even-tempered posts and long fanhood!

Totally agree that 7 wins isn't what I expected, nor is it up to general expectations. I pretty much guarantee Fleck would say the same. At this point, everyone has choices:
  • Fans can either continue supporting the team (through ticket sales, booster club membership, watching, buying apparel, etc.) or not. They can also reach out to Fleck and university admin if they want to stress their opinion one way or the other.
  • Administration can fire Fleck, make some ultimatums (a la Nebraska), or leave him alone and trust that he'll fix the problems.
  • Fleck can either rationalize the failures this year and stick with the status quo or change his best by replacing coaches and/or examining his philosophy and in-game decision making.
One thing that won't help at all is incessant whining, complaining, and yelling. That just ruins the quality of your life, annoys others, and leads to arguments that can never be won. I'm as frustrated as anyone, but I've chosen to continue supporting the program. If the results haven't improved 2 or 3 years from now we'll all have to reevaluate.

Woah, are you saying what happens in the media means nothing? Then why does it upset you so much?
What are you talking about? I never said that at all; not even close. What I am saying (and have always said btw) is that Minnesota fans (and the media) don't want to hear platitudes or catchy phrases when the teams they watch consistently fail to live up to those platitudes and catch phrases. That's all.

As to the rest of it, I'm not even sure what you're talking about.

What are you talking about? I never said that at all; not even close. What I am saying (and have always said btw) is that Minnesota fans (and the media) don't want to hear platitudes or catchy phrases when the teams they watch consistently fail to live up to those platitudes and catch phrases. That's all.

As to the rest of it, I'm not even sure what you're talking about.
You don’t think catchy platitudes mean anything but they really annoy you. Got it

You don’t think catchy platitudes mean anything but they really annoy you. Got it
It isn't about me, I just have an opinion. So I'll spell it out one more time and see if you get it this time: Minnesota fans and media don't want to hear it (in case you haven't noticed). If he wants to say those things to his team, fine. But don't trot it out to the fanbase because they've heard spin like this from Gopher football for decades. At this point, they don't care because it comes off as phony. That's my position and has been all along.

I get it that all coaches spin things to the media and fans, but Minnesotans won't sign off. And trying to convince them otherwise after losing more than 90 percent of their games to rivals won't cut it.

It isn't about me, I just have an opinion. So I'll spell it out one more time and see if you get it this time: Minnesota fans and media don't want to hear it (in case you haven't noticed). If he wants to say those things to his team, fine. But don't trot it out to the fanbase because they've heard spin like this from Gopher football for decades. At this point, they don't care because it comes off as phony. That's my position and has been all along.

I get it that all coaches spin things to the media and fans, but Minnesotans won't sign off. And trying to convince them otherwise after losing more than 90 percent of their games to rivals won't cut it.
They don’t care but the team should adjust their behavior to it because people don’t care. Got it.

here is my take, you are correct…it doesn’t matter.

Apparently, the point is too subtle for you to grasp. Got it.
No. I get it.

I just think people bothered by coaches phrases are really sad people.

You are spot on. The catch phrases don’t mean anything. Yet somehow dozens of people seem really annoyed by them

No. I get it.

I just think people bothered by coaches phrases are really sad people.

You are spot on. The catch phrases don’t mean anything. Yet somehow dozens of people seem really annoyed by them
Personally, I think it's a Minnesota thing more than anything. Minnesota sports fans have been fed spin for decades without substance. And at times like these, Fleck just looks like more of the same. I love that he talks to his team that way. Gives them belief and I think for the most part, they buy in.

Fans and media? Not so much.

Personally, I think it's a Minnesota thing more than anything. Minnesota sports fans have been fed spin for decades without substance. And at times like these, Fleck just looks like more of the same. I love that he talks to his team that way. Gives them belief and I think for the most part, they buy in.

Fans and media? Not so much.
And my point is… Who cares if fans and media don’t buy in. It literally doesn’t matter, you said it yourself

And my point is… Who cares if fans and media don’t buy in. It literally doesn’t matter, you said it yourself
Trust me, if the fans and media don't buy in, there will be problems. Not so much the media, but if the fans start abandoning the ship, there will be big problems.

Man, this game really upset a lot of people. Me included. Now i was also hungover so that didnt help.
After thinking thru what happened, the potential fix should be simple.

1) Fleck has to let of of Sanford: His track record of QBs regressing under him continues. You can not spin that.

2) Its time to move on from Morgan. Great kid, but PJ probably feels immense loyalty to him and his family because he followed him without ever visiting the U, his father passing and i think PJ is extremely close with the Morgan family. Morgan is probably like a son to him.

3) PJ needs to learn that being conservative in game that youre suppose to win by a lot or rivalary games will not always work. Play to win, dont play not to lose

Trust me, if the fans and media don't buy in, there will be problems. Not so much the media, but if the fans start abandoning the ship, there will be big problems.

Winning is what brings fans in. The slogans have nothing to do with it negatively or positively.

Sounds like some of you have not been around long. I watched 3 seasons in a row with one BIG win.....at the dump. It has gotten much better since then.
Agreed. That we now expect to beat everyone but IA and WI is a plus. I

Winning is what brings fans in. The slogans have nothing to do with it negatively or positively.
Exactly. Win and folks will come. Bottom line. But slogans won't sell the public without wins to back it up.

Exactly. Win and folks will come. Bottom line. But slogans won't sell the public without wins to back it up.
Yeah. So why are you whining about slogans all the time?

Jesus, you just don't get it. Sigh.
Jesus, you’re still going to be upset by a coach using a slogan.
Sigh

I honestly feel bad for those who actively get upset by the coach saying things like “change your best”

It has no impact on me. I do find the sadness of some other a little comedic though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom