Matthew Hurt

You make it sound like all of these players dreamed to play at a particular school/coach for their whole life. I doubt that is always the case, players are constantly influenced by outside sources. Especially when you see kids talk about the U when they are young and then change after a couple of years at a particular AAU programs. Why would any kids every ask you for any advice if they already have a dream school? Sure, there are a few kids that grow up dreaming about a particular school, but don't go using that as justification for every kid. And there are many influencers that have reasons or biases to steer kids to specific schools.
Agree. I think tons of kids change their minds as they grow and travel. I know of kids that grew up Gopher fans until they were 13-14. They started out going to games with parents and friends and as they grew to watch other games, follow other teams and meet other players from other places. Never said every kid. Kids and families have asked me who i thought were better coaches when given the choice and the easy response has always been you probably know the answer. If pressed, i will tell them. I was asked that exact question this July by the player, a 2020 kid and his father. These kids are pretty savvy about brand, culture, program identity, winning level. I personally would not send a kid to IZZO or K but it is not up too me. There is a certain status symbol that some coaches and programs have with kids. There is another way you can beat them, you rarely go after the same players and target the guys that really fit what you do, make use of the redshirt, play defense, take quality shots, do not turn it over.

Haha, watching Duke play and Hurt- what a waste. Great team and they'll win most games, but Hurt just tiptoes around the perimeter and doesn't do much of anything with all the great talent they have. Could have played a year or tow here and been the man playing 35 minutes. Props to papa Hurt for parlaying Matt's talent into a waste of a schollie on Mike.
I watched two minutes of the game. In those two minutes I focused on Hurt. He stood and watched his teammate go up hard against two defenders and actually backed away from the hoop instead of getting in position to rebound. Then he lost his man on defense and had to have a teammate cover for him. He seemed either completely lost or disinterested.

Here is an observation and I will preface it by saying that I haven't watched much of Matthew Hurt this year mainly because I don't care to watch Duke play.

Anyway, the Hurt's (Michael and Matthew) were both excellent high school players. Matthew was of course better than his brother. Michael was ranked 216 in his class (Gabe was 198 for reference) and was runner-up for Mr. Basketball to Amir Coffey. I believe Michael was recruited based on his merits but some disagree. Anyway...

Michael is not a confident player. He hasn't been good for the Gophers. He seems slow and out of it. He rarely scores, rebounds or does anything to show up in the box score (he has been better this year but still not great for a senior who has played 4 years). He was physically weak as a freshman, improved as a sophomore, regressed as a junior and is what he is as a senior. Really good kid, does well academically, I'm sure he works hard but really just isn't a gamer. I'm sure in practice he makes the right plays, is more confident, etc. but some kids just don't show up in games. Michael Hurt is one of those guys.

Matthew dominated high school, AAU, etc. Arguably one of the best HS players in state history. He is smooth, can score, long and highly touted. He is at Duke and starts as a freshman. But maybe he isn't a gamer either. Maybe when its intense, he doesn't perform as well. Maybe, just maybe, he is wired like his older brother. From what I read on here there are a lot of comments about he backs away from contact, stands around, etc. and that, to me, is an issue. Even if he isn't going to a back to the basket post, he can still go rebound or run or do something.

Either way, what a shame. 2 kids on Duke's roster that could be here right now, all big ten, possibly on a conference championship team.

They took the easy way out though. Go to Duke, get paid. Listen to the Tu-pay master. I hope Duke gets bounced in the first round of the NCAA this year.

I watched two minutes of the game. In those two minutes I focused on Hurt. He stood and watched his teammate go up hard against two defenders and actually backed away from the hoop instead of getting in position to rebound. Then he lost his man on defense and had to have a teammate cover for him. He seemed either completely lost or disinterested.
That's consistent with what I and my family saw the times we watched him play in high school. I remember my wife and I turning to each other and shaking our heads at his timid and uninspired play against Lakeville North in the section final at Mayo Auditorium.

That's consistent with what I and my family saw the times we watched him play in high school. I remember my wife and I turning to each other and shaking our heads at his timid and uninspired play against Lakeville North in the section final at Mayo Auditorium.

That's how Micheal plays, Hurt is the one guy on the Gophers that I think would have benefited greatly from playing football in high school, I am assuming he didn't play, physical contact becomes second nature, you can't be timid and survive.

Yep, my kid played soccer in HS (goalie). He was constantly taking contact. Soccer cleats to the head, stomach, n other areas. Does not shy away from contact at all now. Granted he is now 6-9 or 6-10 & probably 260. Plays REC football n basketball @ IU.

In watching Hurt last night, I did think it was his best defensive game. He altered at least 3 or 4 shots. I thought he was moving better defensively. I haven't seen all of his games, but maybe he is settling in. He still has along ways to go.

In watching Hurt last night, I did think it was his best defensive game. He altered at least 3 or 4 shots. I thought he was moving better defensively. I haven't seen all of his games, but maybe he is settling in. He still has along ways to go.

He did have a few good defensive plays, but I wouldn't say his defense was good overall. His effort level is shockingly low both offensively and defensively. It's amazing that he's averaging double digits for a team that stacked when he has possibly the worst motor in all of college basketball right now. If he starts to play with a little fire, he is going to be really, really good.

He did have a few good defensive plays, but I wouldn't say his defense was good overall. His effort level is shockingly low both offensively and defensively. It's amazing that he's averaging double digits for a team that stacked when he has possibly the worst motor in all of college basketball right now. If he starts to play with a little fire, he is going to be really, really good.

Easy to tame em back, hard to put it in em. In my years of coaching a couple different sports, it's always much easier to reign in an aggressive, high motor player that it is to make a sluggish one bring an uptick in effort level.

Easy to tame em back, hard to put it in em. In my years of coaching a couple different sports, it's always much easier to reign in an aggressive, high motor player that it is to make a sluggish one bring an uptick in effort level.

Agreed. Sometimes kids are so much better than the competition that they never really learn how to play hard, and things change when they move up a level and are actually challenged. The fact that he isn't trying harder yet is a bit concerning.

I get it. Have a strong belief Pitino will get it done. No interest in what Hurt is going.

Then why open a thread that is titled, "Matthew Hurt?"

As for Pitino, I've been hoping for years.

Based on the minutes played, Coach K was not happy with the starters except Tre Jones? Seems like he "finally" has a deep squad? LOL.

Wow we still have a Matthew hurt thread? We should also have a forward on cal state Fullerton thread too. I care about them the same.

Wow we still have a Matthew hurt thread? We should also have a forward on cal state Fullerton thread too. I care about them the same.

We must care about Brad Davidson. Two threads on him. Do we love the guy or something?

Last edited:

Top Bottom