Matthew Hurt

Serious question, if someone tears their ACL and is happy when they can finally limp around without crutches, does that convince you that they are setting their goals too low and they don't care about being able to run again? Or are they just taking things one step at a time and happy that they are making progress?

Gopher fans being happy that a season went better than expected doesn't mean we don't have higher goals. You're inability to wrap your head around such simple logic that has been explained to you many times is embarrassing for you and exhausting for everyone else.
Understand it perfectly that others think is good, progress etc.. does not mean that is how i look at it. I see a program without identity, with one winning conference season. If you find it exhausting quit reading my posts and responding. You have your opinions, i have mine. Never said my opinion is better. We are looking at the same thing differently, big deal.

Lately duke is pretty much roll the ball out and let the studs do their thing on offense...rather than running a precise diversified offense schemes...Coach K comes to the race driving a Ferrari while most of his competition comes in with a Mustang or worse. The large variance in talent can make coaching less meaningful with respect to wins and losses . Nevertheless the Duke/coach K brand/Image will continue to get great recruits , win a ton of games and fill the NBA draft board...the beat goes on

Hurt is solid so far. Just surprised at his lack of physicality and strength it is getting exposed. Two rebounds and no assists. Defense is brutal Duke gave up 85 pts and only 6 came on three’s. Which means 78 points came in half court where you got beat one on one or transition where you couldn’t keep up.

Remember Hurt is old should be more physically developed. When class started at Duke Wendell Moore was 17 and Hurt 19. Hurt is a year older than Carey and only 3 months younger than Tre.. I think it is good when kids get a reality check.

built badgers is a smart dude. Understands a lot. Has a ton of free time to take shots at a team on their fan board. Not really sure what he has going on in life but I wish I had as much free time as him.
Retire ! Golf, travel, volunteer, go to sporting events. FYI, this is a program i have supported for over 50 years ! Still think this team can do great this year. Not afraid to criticize what i feel has been a atrocious 6 year record.

Lately duke is pretty much roll the ball out and let the studs do their thing on offense...rather than running a precise diversified offense schemes...Coach K comes to the race driving a Ferrari while most of his competition comes in with a Mustang or worse. The large variance in talent can make coaching less meaningful with respect to wins and losses . Nevertheless the Duke/coach K brand/Image will continue to get great recruits , win a ton of games and fill the NBA draft board...the beat goes on
Agree with every part of your post. I do not find it attractive to play for him but players coming out of high school do. He gets a ton of help not just by his success but ESPN and Labron always endorsing him.

Retire ! Golf, travel, volunteer, go to sporting events. FYI, this is a program i have supported for over 50 years ! Still think this team can do great this year. Not afraid to criticize what i feel has been a atrocious 6 year record.

I agree with your criticisms. No one thinks the program is elite or where it needs to be. I haven't seen one poster say "man, these last 6 years have been awesome" I (and others) get annoyed with the constant shots at the program you "support". Then you backtrack and point out better programs. Obviously there are better programs. A lot of them. We get it. You "built" the badgers or some coach said you did once or who knows. It'd just be nice to read a thread where you're not critical.

Along those same lines, I wasn't too upset that the final sequence consisted of Jones throwing the ball into Hurt's legs, which resulted in the turnover, and then SFA being able to score the game-winning layup because Jones didn't hustle back. Jones was the closest to SFA's basket when the turnover occurred, so there was no excuse for him to be the 3rd closest Duke player to the layup and not even in the vicinity.

3 SFA players got on the floor for the ball while Hurt stood and watched. A prime example of why Duke fans are frustrated with Hurt early on. The lack of physicality and "soft" play. It's the reason he sat against Georgetown. Not sure how weight room work was put in during his first summer on campus but he's very slight of frame for his position. Any talk of him leaving this year should be put to rest.

I agree with your criticisms. No one thinks the program is elite or where it needs to be. I haven't seen one poster say "man, these last 6 years have been awesome" I (and others) get annoyed with the constant shots at the program you "support". Then you backtrack and point out better programs. Obviously there are better programs. A lot of them. We get it. You "built" the badgers or some coach said you did once or who knows. It'd just be nice to read a thread where you're not critical.

Nailed it.

Agree with every part of your post. I do not find it attractive to play for him but players coming out of high school do. He gets a ton of help not just by his success but ESPN and Labron always endorsing him.
3 SFA players got on the floor for the ball while Hurt stood and watched. A prime example of why Duke fans are frustrated with Hurt early on. The lack of physicality and "soft" play. It's the reason he sat against Georgetown. Not sure how weight room work was put in during his first summer on campus but he's very slight of frame for his position. Any talk of him leaving this year should be put to rest.

Hurt is in it for Hurt. He will leave if there is a chance he'll be drafted.

FWIW, I don’t root against local kids who leave outside of Davison but I just hate how he plays. I hope for the best for the Jones (great kids, great family), Wright, Hurt, Nnaji, etc. unless they are playing the gophers because I don’t like seeing the gophers lose.

I’m surprised Hurt hasn’t been better. He is extremely skilled. His lack of energy/enthusiasm/whatever is concerning for his coaches and the Duke fans. Hopefully he gets on track and is a lottery pick.

Well, if you’re a fan of college sports, you have no other option than to hope a lot of 18-22 year old kids fail, and have their dreams crushed. The alternative is hoping every game ends with both teams winning, and going off to fuddruckers for a postgame meal and handholding session. But sports is about the thrill of victory, which necessitates that another experience the agony of defeat. I have chosen to root for the teams that play Duke, just as I root for the teams that play against Wisconsin, and just as I root for any team that happens to be playing the gophers. And consequently, I am hoping quite a few players fail in their goals. I would say it is more interesting that somebody would choose to cheer FOR somebody like Brad Davison, but that's just me.
Wait, What!? Fuddruckers still exists? I always loved Mother Fuddruckers mustard sauce...?

Exactly. He is a spot up shooter for Duke and does nothing but stand around the arc. Contributes almost nothing else. What a shame :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Except, it seems it is who he is. It’s what he wanted to do in high school. He very very rarely posted up versus defenders nearly a foot shorter.
Coach K is an excellent basketball coach. But, he is almost smart enough to realize you can’t change someone into somebody they are not. Hurt is a perimeter player. He does not attack off the dribble.
His defense has improved by leaps over what it was on the perimeter in high school...it’s still not good but it exists. He is pretty good at defending the rim in scramble or off ball situations. But against post entries he’s going to get moved under the hoop by most anybody because they’ll be bigger and stronger. Defensively he needs a zone and he could be a strength on defense.
Excellent shooter who needs designed looks.
I’d love to mold a team around his strengths and minimize his weaknesses which are not going away.
Duke probably has too many guys to feature Matthew. Duke was not his best fit.

Matthew is averaging 10 points a game. He is the 4th leading scorer on a Top 5 team. He shoots 3’s at a 37.5 % clip. He is a freshman from soft high school competition. I’d say he has upside potential to improve.

Matthew is averaging 10 points a game. He is the 4th leading scorer on a Top 5 team. He shoots 3’s at a 37.5 % clip. He is a freshman from soft high school competition. I’d say he has upside potential to improve.

The thing that stands out to me about him is that he does not seem to want to do the little things. Those things are almost impossible to coach up. He should not be the 7th leading rebounder on Duke.

I actually do not root for the MN kids to fail unless they go to a rival, so I am not bitter towards Matthew Hurt. I just have not been impressed with him for someone I've seen on mock drafts. He would not get drafted in the first round if it took place today.

per Shooter:

Duke 6-9 freshman Matthew Hurt from Rochester John Marshall is projected as the No. 9 overall pick by the Boston Celtics in June’s NBA draft by 247sports.com. Sophomore teammate Tre Jones from Appley Valley is projected as the 27th pick in the draft, also by the Celtics.

Go Gophers!!

Haha, watching Duke play and Hurt- what a waste. Great team and they'll win most games, but Hurt just tiptoes around the perimeter and doesn't do much of anything with all the great talent they have. Could have played a year or tow here and been the man playing 35 minutes. Props to papa Hurt for parlaying Matt's talent into a waste of a schollie on Mike.

Haha, watching Duke play and Hurt- what a waste. Great team and they'll win most games, but Hurt just tiptoes around the perimeter and doesn't do much of anything with all the great talent they have. Could have played a year or tow here and been the man playing 35 minutes. Props to papa Hurt for parlaying Matt's talent into a waste of a schollie on Mike.

Marshmallow soft. Loved the play where Jones gifted him a dunk because he couldn't get back on defense.

What if Hurt wanted to play at Duke and and thinks K is a far better coach and loves that wildly successful brand,nore renowned school. What if those are his thoughts ? Why so much hate on the kid and his game ? Every coach wanted him including ours.

Marshmallow soft. Loved the play where Jones gifted him a dunk because he couldn't get back on defense.

He was like that all thru
What if Hurt wanted to play at Duke and and thinks K is a far better coach and loves that wildly successful brand,nore renowned school. What if those are his thoughts ? Why so much hate on the kid and his game ? Every coach wanted him including ours.

No hate at all. Kid's a tremendous talent. Doesn't mean he made the right decision going to Duke, tho. IMO he didn't. I am a bit upset we wasted a schollie on Mike thinking we'd get both. But that's on Richard I guess. He took a shot and it backfired.

Have you watched the games? He is barely a role-player. I am all for player choice and he is able to choose any school he wants. Just reflects the type of player he will be if he makes it to the next level that he would rather be a 5th option on a stacked team.

Have you watched the games? He is barely a role-player. I am all for player choice and he is able to choose any school he wants. Just reflects the type of player he will be if he makes it to the next level that he would rather be a 5th option on a stacked team.
Too early. He will play in a ton of big games, practice against better players and perhaps win a title as a player whom makes the big plays. His story has a long way to play out. Where do you think he should have gone ? What were his best choices all things considered ?

Too early. He will play in a ton of big games, practice against better players and perhaps win a title as a player whom makes the big plays. His story has a long way to play out. Where do you think he should have gone ? What were his best choices all things considered ?

I’d love to meet you in person to see if you’re always this way or just on this particular forum.

FWIW, I think there are two schools of thought. Go to the best program you can, improve yourself to the point where you’re a key player. The issue with this can be you never get to that point and you don’t play a ton ever. Next years recruits are all going to be very good so if you don’t improve, you don’t play.

Or you go to a lesser program, play a lot, improve by playing and being a key piece right away. Issue with this is if your team sucks you get frustrated, less competitive practices and often times lesser coaching. May never get you prepared for the next level, regardless of putting up nice numbers.

Nice thing for the Hurt @ Duke is that he has lots of options. Stay at a top tier program that is a strong academic institution, transfer to any program in the country because they’d all take him or go play professionally (NBA or overseas). All excellent options.

Only his choice, I can't say. I would have personally gone to North Carolina where he would have joined a top pg and actually joined a program with a coach that can coach.

Minnesota would have still been an honorable choice, at least shown some willingness to lead a team, not join one.

I’d love to meet you in person to see if you’re always this way or just on this particular forum.

FWIW, I think there are two schools of thought. Go to the best program you can, improve yourself to the point where you’re a key player. The issue with this can be you never get to that point and you don’t play a ton ever. Next years recruits are all going to be very good so if you don’t improve, you don’t play.

Or you go to a lesser program, play a lot, improve by playing and being a key piece right away. Issue with this is if your team sucks you get frustrated, less competitive practices and often times lesser coaching. May never get you prepared for the next level, regardless of putting up nice numbers.

Nice thing for the Hurt @ Duke is that he has lots of options. Stay at a top tier program that is a strong academic institution, transfer to any program in the country because they’d all take him or go play professionally (NBA or overseas). All excellent options.
Pretty analytical by nature. take out my biased fandom in a honest ever to see what is as opposed to what I want to see. If I use my bias I believe that a player like Hurt should go to UVA for the incredible combination of coaching, winning,development and academics. I am a advocate for players picking the right coach, the right person. Plus, a ton of these super high end kids recruit each other. Tre did a great job on Hurt on playing in the biggest games on the best teams. I do not see a soft player. I see a true freshman learning to play in the spread floor at several positions, he even played behind the defense tonight in spots. Finding his way on a loaded roster. Actually impressed with how he conducts himself. Sure he could have picked a struggling program and scored 15 a game this year. that does not mean his overall experience would be better or his development would be better. Maybe Duke was a dream come true program .

Pretty analytical by nature. take out my biased fandom in a honest ever to see what is as opposed to what I want to see. If I use my bias I believe that a player like Hurt should go to UVA for the incredible combination of coaching, winning,development and academics. I am a advocate for players picking the right coach, the right person. Plus, a ton of these super high end kids recruit each other. Tre did a great job on Hurt on playing in the biggest games on the best teams. I do not see a soft player. I see a true freshman learning to play in the spread floor at several positions, he even played behind the defense tonight in spots. Finding his way on a loaded roster. Actually impressed with how he conducts himself. Sure he could have picked a struggling program and scored 15 a game this year. that does not mean his overall experience would be better or his development would be better. Maybe Duke was a dream come true program .

Valid points. I meant more that if someone says “I think he made a mistake choosing Duke” you want long explanations as to why and even then you’ll ask a dozen follow-up questions. It’s an internet message board. Someone can pop on and say “Gophers got the better Hurt” and it’s cool cause they don’t need to explain themselves.

Its rare to ever know if a kid made the right decision when choosing a school. Maybe Tyus Jones would have been better at UNC somehow. We will never know. You might, but you built programs ;)

Valid points. I meant more that if someone says “I think he made a mistake choosing Duke” you want long explanations as to why and even then you’ll ask a dozen follow-up questions. It’s an internet message board. Someone can pop on and say “Gophers got the better Hurt” and it’s cool cause they don’t need to explain themselves.

Its rare to ever know if a kid made the right decision when choosing a school. Maybe Tyus Jones would have been better at UNC somehow. We will never know. You might, but you built programs ;)
[/QUOTe
We all take different things from each experiences. I view message boards as a place for people to share opinions and observations. If someone posts that the Gophers got the better Hurt, they are free to type that. The handle I use. is simply a nickname given to me by a basketball coaching family for occasionally pre scouting. Does not mean I think I know more or that my opinion is the authority. It is simply my opinion. There are hundreds and thousands of kids who swear they made the only decision they ever wanted for a particular school. Just me but it seems as a good word to go by is the players believing it themselves as opposed to a fan thinking they might know otherwise. Some people make decisions and live their whole life thrilled at that decision. Especially a young athlete that dreamt of playing for a certain program and a certain coach.

You make it sound like all of these players dreamed to play at a particular school/coach for their whole life. I doubt that is always the case, players are constantly influenced by outside sources. Especially when you see kids talk about the U when they are young and then change after a couple of years at a particular AAU programs. Why would any kids every ask you for any advice if they already have a dream school? Sure, there are a few kids that grow up dreaming about a particular school, but don't go using that as justification for every kid. And there are many influencers that have reasons or biases to steer kids to specific schools.

Top Bottom