Matthew Hurt

CycloneGopher

Reaction score
Been watching Duke some this year. Matthew Hurt may turn it on at some point. However, he doesn't appear to be that major impact player most expected him to be right away.

He has yet to play yet in 2nd half of the Georgetown game with 9 left.

Hurt needs to get physically stronger. Would get killed in nba. I suspect that may be one reason why he doesn’t play at duke.

Another point. He is older than Omersa by like 4 months. Just imagine if Omersa had an extra year!

Hurt needs to get physically stronger. Would get killed in nba. I suspect that may be one reason why he doesn’t play at duke.

Another point. He is older than Omersa by like 4 months. Just imagine if Omersa had an extra year!
I’m imagining another year of omersa and I don’t understand your point.

Prior to this game he was averaging 22 minutes per game and was the team's 4th leading scorer.

Was ripped to shreds on this board for two years saying he won't be a big deal in college. Some had us winning the Big 10 or being top 3 if we could only get him this year. LMAO

Seems like a good kid, but does he have the body type to put on a bunch of weight? The few times I've seen him, they just have him kind of roaming the perimeter. They need to get him the ball more.

Was ripped to shreds on this board for two years saying he won't be a big deal in college. Some had us winning the Big 10 or being top 3 if we could only get him this year. LMAO

Seems like a good kid, but does he have the body type to put on a bunch of weight? The few times I've seen him, they just have him kind of roaming the perimeter. They need to get him the ball more.
Fans would have expected to win the Big 10 if we got Garcia as well. Hurt as looked very good for a true freshman. He splits time on a team loaded with really high end talent.

Fans would have expected to win the Big 10 if we got Garcia as well. Hurt as looked very good for a true freshman. He splits time on a team loaded with really high end talent.

He'd look better on a team not as loaded. That was my whole point in why go to Duke. Why not go somewhere that you can be a focal point.

Season's young, maybe he picks it up. I want to cheer for him, but it's flipping Duke.

He didn't score a flipping point tonight. I can find posts where people thought he could lead the Big 10 in scoring.

He just has to get stronger. 90% of his games were against boys, now 90% are against men. Your right there were posts about him leading the Big 10 in scoring, those were simply dreamers. Just like if Garcia came here there would be people proclaiming national power. Hurt is a double figure scorer, shooting 40% on his 3's and 100% on his free throws. Kid can shot it but is a weak defender.

He just has to get stronger. 90% of his games were against boys, now 90% are against men. Your right there were posts about him leading the Big 10 in scoring, those were simply dreamers. Just like if Garcia came here there would be people proclaiming national power. Hurt is a double figure scorer, shooting 40% on his 3's and 100% on his free throws. Kid can shot it but is a weak defender.
Good assessment. Will still be a 1st round pick. Shooting bigs (stretch 4s) translates in the NBA and someone will take a chance

That's true. He is on a team with high end talent all around. But that hasn't stopped other players from coming in and dominating immediately. I get that as a front court player, he needs to get bigger. The skills are there, the size is not yet. But it has to be concerning that Hurt only played five minutes in the game last night.

To be fair, Duke has a lot of guys not playing much or at all that would start for most teams in the country.
Some guys have a lot better chance at improving by going places they’ll play a lot right away. Nate Wolters got a lot better by being the guy at SoDak st instead of barely playing at a bigger school.
Hurt chased the dream. May still be a one and done. Physically he isn’t there. Not sure that’ll change for him.

Nothing wrong with the way he has started, but no doubt everyone had this guy scoring 20 every game and being better than how he has started.

Nothing wrong with the way he has started, but no doubt everyone had this guy scoring 20 every game and being better than how he has started.
Seems to me that he is right on schedule for a true freshman averaging double figures, 40 % from 3, 100 % from the line. Learning to play defense. Anyone who expected him to average 20 points a game at Duke must not watch a great deal of college hoops. There are places he would average 20 points per game from day one.

I'd be willing to bet that less than 1% of the people on this board thought he'd average 20 points at Duke. Most thought he'd have a major role, but I doubt many even thought he'd be their leading scorer.

You were "ripped to shreds" because you said Gopher fans shouldn't care about him leaving and that he would never start for a big time school. You were wrong on both. He has started most, if not all, of his games for Duke and he'd be our second best player this year.

I'd be willing to bet that less than 1% of the people on this board thought he'd average 20 points at Duke. Most thought he'd have a major role, but I doubt many even thought he'd be their leading scorer.
Yeah i know, i was exaggerating. Most people thought he was gonna be unbelievable. He is just off to a slow start just like most freshman around the country. Im sure things will get better as the season goes on.

I’m laughing hard at the “100%” on free throws. He is 4/4. Yes, 100% is good. But the sample size is so unbelievably small. Its like a guy hitting 2 homeruns on opening day on baseball and everyone says jokingly “he’s on pace for over 300 homeruns”

If they allowed a transfer here today he would not take it. He is exactly where he wants to be.

will be in the nba next season....whether he played for gophs or duke

If they allowed a transfer here today he would not take it. He is exactly where he wants to be.

Agreed. Only way he transfers is if he goes the rest of the year with very little playing time, but I can't see that happening.

You were "ripped to shreds" because you said Gopher fans shouldn't care about him leaving and that he would never start for a big time school. You were wrong on both. He has started most, if not all, of his games for Duke and he'd be our second best player this year.

He would never start for a big time school?

Post that thread. Thanks! I've got big money you'll never find one.

Last edited:

Big surprise, overrated 6'10 guy that weighs 200 lbs

Top Bottom