Matthew Hurt

Duke fans seem to be concerned about him and feel he needs to lose his starting spot. Soft and slow equating to hanging out a ton on the perimeter and poor defensive effort/ability. He's only a freshman, but he was observed moping in the locker room after the Georgetown game and fans are hoping he gets benched to give him a wake-up call. Probably lots of pressure realizing he's not quite living up to what fans expected of him. He'll be fine and, barring injury, will almost surely be a pro. But, like almost all freshmen, he's got a lot to improve upon.

Duke fans seem to be concerned about him and feel he needs to lose his starting spot. Soft and slow equating to hanging out a ton on the perimeter and poor defensive effort/ability. He's only a freshman, but he was observed moping in the locker room after the Georgetown game and fans are hoping he gets benched to give him a wake-up call. Probably lots of pressure realizing he's not quite living up to what fans expected of him. He'll be fine and, barring injury, will almost surely be a pro. But, like almost all freshmen, he's got a lot to improve upon.
I'll take him back. :) Let's do this Matthew- you can be starting with the Gophers January 2021!

Realistically I don't think Hurt was ever a top-10 national recruit. He's certainly uber skilled and has excellent size but there are physical limitations as well. Wish he'd have played with his brother.

Horvath would not have been a game-changing recruit at Minnesota either. He got a good education at Duke (BTW, one can get a good education at Minnesota) had a respectable overseas career and now living the dream as a HS teacher. Nothing wrong with that.

While the AAU circuit in MN is among the best in the country there is no doubt an inflation that occurs due to the competition a lot of these recruits face during their highschool seasons. AAU ball is not real basketball.

If they allowed a transfer here today he would not take it. He is exactly where he wants to be.
Well no Sh!t.

He's probably making 40K a year playing there or better and his family is also likely getting benefits.

He'll be good. But he is unathletic and not strong. That is what everyone saw that said he doesn't look as good as what his rankings were. He's tall and he can shoot. He would not be a dominant inside force in the Big Ten as of right now.

Well no Sh!t.

He's probably making 40K a year playing there or better and his family is also likely getting benefits.

He'll be good. But he is unathletic and not strong. That is what everyone saw that said he doesn't look as good as what his rankings were. He's tall and he can shoot. He would not be a dominant inside force in the Big Ten as of right now.

He has great body control for a guy his size and is very skilled. Far more than simply a tall guy who can shoot, although that's basically how he's being used at Duke.

He never was and never will be a "dominant inside force". That isn't his style. He is a versatile, skilled, finesse player.

Hurt played very well tonight. Interesting that you would enjoy young people from anywhere struggling.

Hurt played very well tonight. Interesting that you would enjoy young people from anywhere struggling.
Well, if you’re a fan of college sports, you have no other option than to hope a lot of 18-22 year old kids fail, and have their dreams crushed. The alternative is hoping every game ends with both teams winning, and going off to fuddruckers for a postgame meal and handholding session. But sports is about the thrill of victory, which necessitates that another experience the agony of defeat. I have chosen to root for the teams that play Duke, just as I root for the teams that play against Wisconsin, and just as I root for any team that happens to be playing the gophers. And consequently, I am hoping quite a few players fail in their goals. I would say it is more interesting that somebody would choose to cheer FOR somebody like Brad Davison, but that's just me.

The gap between Hurt and Zeke Nnaji is sizable. Nnaji is the one we really missed out on. He looks pro ready.

The gap between Hurt and Zeke Nnaji is sizable. Nnaji is the one we really missed out on. He looks pro ready.
Nnaji is so far past where i evaluated him getting to this by this point. He was known early on to not be coming here. Hurt is a different kind of player but right on schedule.

Coach K proves himself a genius...Losing a with a team of McDonald’s all Americans to a team with kids that had no power 5 recruits is pathetic..Would be like pitino losing at home to a D2 team...Coach K is no different that most coaches only he gets great talent and rubes think that they win because of his coaches skills ..

Coach K proves himself a genius...Losing a with a team of McDonald’s all Americans to a team with kids that had no power 5 recruits is pathetic..Would be like pitino losing at home to a D2 team...Coach K is no different that most coaches only he gets great talent and rubes think that they win because of his coaches skills ..
I can't speak to his early days when he had less talent, but I agree with you. I think quite a few Gopher fans would be very upset with Pitino if they lost to SFA.

Much truth to what you say. When he was young it was all about the teaching. Now it is all about the recruiting, team USA and the brand. It is kids who think he is so much better. Most people know that there are 4-5 guys that are clearly better right now.

I can't speak to his early days when he had less talent, but I agree with you. I think quite a few Gopher fans would be very upset with Pitino if they lost to SFA.
Gopher fans do not get all that upset in general. They expect right around .500 in conference, even below and a tourney win or two now and then.

Well, if you’re a fan of college sports, you have no other option than to hope a lot of 18-22 year old kids fail, and have their dreams crushed. The alternative is hoping every game ends with both teams winning, and going off to fuddruckers for a postgame meal and handholding session. But sports is about the thrill of victory, which necessitates that another experience the agony of defeat. I have chosen to root for the teams that play Duke, just as I root for the teams that play against Wisconsin, and just as I root for any team that happens to be playing the gophers. And consequently, I am hoping quite a few players fail in their goals. I would say it is more interesting that somebody would choose to cheer FOR somebody like Brad Davison, but that's just me.
Along those same lines, I wasn't too upset that the final sequence consisted of Jones throwing the ball into Hurt's legs, which resulted in the turnover, and then SFA being able to score the game-winning layup because Jones didn't hustle back. Jones was the closest to SFA's basket when the turnover occurred, so there was no excuse for him to be the 3rd closest Duke player to the layup and not even in the vicinity.

A player can play very well and have his team lose. To each his own. I enjoy the kids that come from here, that i am familiar with , playing great no matter where they go.

Much truth to what you say. When he was young it was all about the teaching. Now it is all about the recruiting, team USA and the brand. It is kids who think he is so much better. Most people know that there are 4-5 guys that are clearly better right now.
4-5? He is barely top 3 in his conference.

Gopher fans do not get all that upset in general. They expect right around .500 in conference, even below and a tourney win or two now and then.
Not necessary... :ROFLMAO: I think everyone on this board (Gopher fans) would like to be better than .500 in conference. Comments like this are why you get harassed by barnburner, just sayin

Not necessary... :ROFLMAO: I think everyone on this board (Gopher fans) would like to be better than .500 in conference. Comments like this are why you get harassed by barnburner, just sayin

No harassment at all. Pointing out badger boy and his incessant shots at Mn bb program.

Here is the latest example. Badger boy. Pathetic. Any true Gopher fan should call him out.

No harassment at all. Pointing out badger boy and his incessant shots at Mn bb program.

Here is the latest example. Badger boy. Pathetic. Any true Gopher fan should call him out.
So now you will be the fan police ! You will be the judge of what a true fan is ? Now that is funny. Is it someone who supports the coach no matter what his record is, who gives the most money, who goes to the most games ? Is someone disqualified for supporting other teams or stating facts of records. Is someone really a true fan for supporting mediocrity ? Who gets to decide ?

Serious question, if someone tears their ACL and is happy when they can finally limp around without crutches, does that convince you that they are setting their goals too low and they don't care about being able to run again? Or are they just taking things one step at a time and happy that they are making progress?

Gopher fans being happy that a season went better than expected doesn't mean we don't have higher goals. You're inability to wrap your head around such simple logic that has been explained to you many times is embarrassing for you and exhausting for everyone else.

He gets great talent because of the money and benefits. Nothing else. He is an old cranky goofy SOB. I don't feel like he is this superb coach. Was he really good one time? Sure, he emphasized defense and tough players that were there for the whole college experience. Now he just lays out the cash and get the best talent available and lets them do their thing.

He has great body control for a guy his size and is very skilled. Far more than simply a tall guy who can shoot, although that's basically how he's being used at Duke.

He never was and never will be a "dominant inside force". That isn't his style. He is a versatile, skilled, finesse player.
Yes, but he isn't a dominant player or a one and done like so many here predicted. He has room to grow. If he gets drafted, he gets drafted because he is tall, can shoot, and might project to get stronger some day. Not really a rebounder or hustle player either.

Far from one of the better prospects to come out of Minnesota like some were claiming last year. Would I take him? Heck yes, I just don't see him as anywhere close to dominating anywhere in the D1 game or the NBA.

Yes, but he isn't a dominant player or a one and done like so many here predicted. He has room to grow. If he gets drafted, he gets drafted because he is tall, can shoot, and might project to get stronger some day. Not really a rebounder or hustle player either.

Far from one of the better prospects to come out of Minnesota like some were claiming last year. Would I take him? Heck yes, I just don't see him as anywhere close to dominating anywhere in the D1 game or the NBA.

Maybe I'm crazy, but 7 games into his freshman season seems too early to be coming to conclusions like that. Especially when he's averaging about 10 points in 20 minutes per game for a stacked Duke team.

So now you will be the fan police ! You will be the judge of what a true fan is ? Now that is funny. Is it someone who supports the coach no matter what his record is, who gives the most money, who goes to the most games ? Is someone disqualified for supporting other teams or stating facts of records. Is someone really a true fan for supporting mediocrity ? Who gets to decide ?

No badger. Not fan police. Not a judge.

Nice diversion from your latest shot at the Mn bb program. Anyone who supports gopher bb should take exception to your shots.

built badgers is a smart dude. Understands a lot. Has a ton of free time to take shots at a team on their fan board. Not really sure what he has going on in life but I wish I had as much free time as him.

Top Bottom