Marcus Carr appreciation thread

I still wish he received immediate eligibility last year, but Marcus has one bright future!!

Put me in the camp that is pro-Marcus. He is normally very good with the ball, makes good decisions, averages 7 plus assists a game and can break down defenses as well as anybody we have had recently.

If Willis had been available tonight, we would have won.

Can you make this an apology thread too. I was wrong about his game. If he can cut down on his turnovers he will really take off

Can you make this an apology thread too. I was wrong about his game. If he can cut down on his turnovers he will really take off
Same. He's a much craftier player than I gave him credit for and his finishing around the rim has been spectacular.

Moment got a little big for him and he was fatigued as hell. Also got fouled multiple times (including the terrible no call in 1st OT) with no help from the refs.

Needs to grow from this.

He was gassed tonight and it showed. You just can’t play that many minutes at that position. We need to get some help off the bench to spell him. Zero bench points tonight with Willis out.

Your regular nuance reminder:

It IS indeed possible to be *both* proud of MC's overall game and be devastated by all of the dribbling off of the shin to lose it late.

Doesn't always have to be binary.

But yes, in grand scheme of things, overall exploits and value to the team will matter much more than errors in one particular game.

Last edited:

I hear that Marcus is taking this hard. No need to pile on. What I've posted here before is what I told my wife and daughter last night: he's a sophomore. By the time he's an upperclassman his game will have matured. Yet more angst about why he wasn't granted eligibility last year--he'd be further along in his development now. We might not get peak Marcus and Daniel O on the same team.

I think Omersa’s defensive/rebounding energy, athleticism, and aggressiveness also need to be highlighted!

I nearly pissed my pants last night when he not only had a huge block and then flung himself after the loose ball while yelling out (and caught on TV microphones before it could be censored!) “gimme that s__t!!!!” :LOL::ROFLMAO:

It's pretty clear we would have lost by 20+ without Carr. He had a couple of very bad TO's at crucial times, but I just have to go back to my first sentence to get over it. The kid is tough as nails and I'm very glad to have him leading the Gophers for the next few years.

I hear that Marcus is taking this hard. No need to pile on. What I've posted here before is what I told my wife and daughter last night: he's a sophomore. By the time he's an upperclassman his game will have matured. Yet more angst about why he wasn't granted eligibility last year--he'd be further along in his development now. We might not get peak Marcus and Daniel O on the same team.

It is just too bad he couldn't have played with last years team. Can you imagine that squad with a point guard like this? Another NCAA screw over for our basketball program.

I'm glad Carr is playing the way he is. Seems to be much more engaged and is playing his heart out. Not what we saw at the start of the season. He will learn from the end of last nights game. Also, I would hope Pitino saw that the kid needs a breather here and there as well.

It is just too bad he couldn't have played with last years team. Can you imagine that squad with a point guard like this? Another NCAA screw over for our basketball program.

I'm glad Carr is playing the way he is. Seems to be much more engaged and is playing his heart out. Not what we saw at the start of the season. He will learn from the end of last nights game. Also, I would hope Pitino saw that the kid needs a breather here and there as well.
Losing Willis has been a killer. I agree with those who say that we need to trust Greenlee more. If we can trust Omersa and let him develop on the fly, we can give Brian a little more play.

Greenlee looks very nervous with the ball. He got stripped in the FIU game and looked shaky last night. He would have really benefited from more playing time early in the season - tough to throw him in now against teams like PU. He does play very solid D though. But ultimately he may have to play more if Willis is going to be out for an extended period of time.

Greenlee looks very nervous with the ball. He got stripped in the FIU game and looked shaky last night. He would have really benefited from more playing time early in the season - tough to throw him in now against teams like PU. He does play very solid D though. But ultimately he may have to play more if Willis is going to be out for an extended period of time.
I'm not sure how Greenlee's FT shooting is, but I'd have like to see him in there in place or with Carr last night in the last few possessions when you're obviously killing clock. Only having one ball-handler is a recipe for trouble, especially when he's gassed.

I'm not sure how Greenlee's FT shooting is, but I'd have like to see him in there in place or with Carr last night in the last few possessions when you're obviously killing clock. Only having one ball-handler is a recipe for trouble, especially when he's gassed.

I don't disagree that a few minutes of Greenlee might have helped.

If he were to have played Greenlee it had to be earlier in the game to give Carr a few blows. There is no way you put Greenlee out there with 2 minutes to go, give him a chance to be the goat and ruin his confidence.

Gophers were a Final Four contender last year with Carr at PG.

F the NCAA.

It's pretty clear we would have lost by 20+ without Carr. He had a couple of very bad TO's at crucial times, but I just have to go back to my first sentence to get over it. The kid is tough as nails and I'm very glad to have him leading the Gophers for the next few years.

My Purdue friends made the analogy of Marcus and Carson Edwards. They used to call it "good Carson or bad Carson" in his performances. The difference between "good" and "bad" was when he tried to do too much. I can't speak to the fatigue factor with Carson like it was with Marcus last night.

I'm glad we have him and his presence gives us a chance to win every night.

Gophers were a Final Four contender last year with Carr at PG.

F the NCAA.

We could use some of the venom for Pitt, too. In a lot of these "waiver" cases, it certainly appears if the previous school cooperates with the process and doesn't stand in the way, they get approved. I've seen multiple comments from places where waivers were approved in which the previous school is thanked by the current one. No such thank you was ever sent to PItt. I won't forget.

If he had a little more size ...he would get drafted in the first round...hopefully his deleted tweet about entering the draft last year...is not an omen for this year.

I don't disagree that a few minutes of Greenlee might have helped.

If he were to have played Greenlee it had to be earlier in the game to give Carr a few blows. There is no way you put Greenlee out there with 2 minutes to go, give him a chance to be the goat and ruin his confidence.
I don't think asking him to get the ball up the floor is a huge ask. He doesn't seem to lack confidence.

I don't think asking him to get the ball up the floor is a huge ask. He doesn't seem to lack confidence.

True but giving him a break or two each game when he's not getting beaten up by opposing guards will make it less likely he's gassed when getting the ball up court in the last minute of the game.

You can have "angst" about whatever you want, but mine is directed at missing out on local point guards (specifically one that is playing in the Pac12) because our recruiting focus was on a player that has since transferred to the MAAC.

True but giving him a break or two each game when he's not getting beaten up by opposing guards will make it less likely he's gassed when getting the ball up court in the last minute of the game.

I think the conversation was in regards to Greenlee.

You can have "angst" about whatever you want, but mine is directed at missing out on local point guards (specifically one that is playing in the Pac12) because our recruiting focus was on a player that has since transferred to the MAAC.

The player you are referring to in the Pac12 had every opportunity to play for the Gophers, but chose to go elsewhere. This wasn't a situation where we preferred the player that has since transferred to the MAAC.

Carr played 48 high pressure minutes last night with ball constantly in his hands. Fatigue tripped him up at the end. Pitino needs to give Greenlee some mid 1st half and mid 2nd half PT if PW is not able to play.

Carr played 48 high pressure minutes last night with ball constantly in his hands. Fatigue tripped him up at the end. Pitino needs to give Greenlee some mid 1st half and mid 2nd half PT if PW is not able to play.
Agreed. 100%.

Carr is a stud. Played like a stud. Leads like a stud. 48 minutes, exhausted, and he has a couple moments he'd like back? There's another team out there too - give them some credit.

This team is going some place and Carr + Oturu are major reasons why.

Top Bottom