Mar’Keise Irving enters the transfer portal

Not really....some guys are very vocal about who they are talking to and others are not. Irving may not be one to post every time he gets an offer from a school.

Have to believe he would draw plenty of interest although I really do think it is odd that he and Emilien are still listed on the roster.
If another week goes by and its still quiet, I would guess that to be good for the Gophers.

I do not believe there is any deadline to sign.
I think that is one of the main gripes coaches have about the portal. They would like a more defined portal period as opposed to the wild west it is right now.

I think that is one of the main gripes coaches have about the portal. They would like a more defined portal period as opposed to the wild west it is right now.
The May 1 deadline for fall and winter sports (the date by which SAs in those sports must enter the portal to maintain immediate eligibility at their new school) helps in this regard since most SAs don't want to sit out, but many in the portal languish for weeks or months before finding a landing spot. Of course many never do.

I don't think there is any explicit deadline. They could transfer to a new school the day before fall camp starts.

Probably could transfer in the middle of September, as long as they hadn't played yet!

It will be a Debbie Downer if the Gophers lost their Transfer Portal commits late in the recruiting cycle before they are signed. I hope to see a fair and equitable system developed. I think when a player commits, the recipient team should be able to sign them right away.

Let's have guesses on where Bucky will end up...Winner will get a .gif of a trophy or ribbon or something in a reply to their guess (we share big here at Gopher Hole).

I'll start first. And I am only going with this pick because I am always wrong (and I wanna be wrong)....

Wisconsin

It will be the program where word got to him (Irving) that there would be a nice NIL payday waiting for him there if he would transfer.

Something like a Tennessee or Kentucky?

Let's have guesses on where Bucky will end up...Winner will get a .gif of a trophy or ribbon or something in a reply to their guess (we share big here at Gopher Hole).

I'll start first. And I am only going with this pick because I am always wrong (and I wanna be wrong)....

Wisconsin
This would suck but I don't think it's happening.....he wouldn't run from competition here only to go and back up Braelon Allen. If it's truly about NIL it'll be somewhere down south....

Last edited:

Wisconsin
I'm going to pick Minnesota.

I have no knowledge of what is going on at all. Just going with what I think the odds are for picking a random team, picking their current team is probabbly the best bet ;)

Saw a post from the daily. Whats being reported is that he is looking for a NIL package.

So we might still have a shot, guessing we’re seeing what we can do and hopefully its a better value than the competition.

Or he doesnt get what he wants anywhere

Saw a post from the daily. Whats being reported is that he is looking for a NIL package.

So we might still have a shot, guessing we’re seeing what we can do and hopefully its a better value than the competition.

I think he might overvalue himself a bit but I have no idea. Good luck to him.

If he remains with the Gophers, it will be great for him to take a redshirt year.
So I would have no problem with him coming back but many on here have stated once you’re in the portal you’re done. I think I was in that discussion in the cam Wiley portal discussion. Is it different because it is the spring?

So I would have no problem with him coming back but many on here have stated once you’re in the portal you’re done. I think I was in that discussion in the cam Wiley portal discussion. Is it different because it is the spring?
It's different for me because it's in the spring. As good as I think he is, I would not take MJ Anderson back.

It's different for me because it's in the spring. As good as I think he is, I would not take MJ Anderson back.
I get that. I think eventually it’ll be pretty common for some guys to enter the portal but remain where they are. Probably years away though

So he’s entered free agency now that his rookie contract is up.

I think it would need to be extremely extenuating circumstances to bring an athlete back after they have entered the portal. Maybe this is one of those circumstances, but I doubt it. Our RB room will be elite without Irving. I wish he hadn't entered the portal but he did, this ship has sailed.

Entering the portal during the season or near the beginning of the season is definitely different.
Coaches might still be understanding even then but .... yeah that's potentially some bridge burning when you end up impacting games / close to the season start and so on.

I think it would need to be extremely extenuating circumstances to bring an athlete back after they have entered the portal. Maybe this is one of those circumstances, but I doubt it. Our RB room will be elite without Irving. I wish he hadn't entered the portal but he did, this ship has sailed.
They did with Curtis Dunlap. It’s not that different that accepting a high school kid than re-opened there recruitment after committing at some point, which Fleck has done a couple times. Of course in season entries are a different circumstance though.

They did with Curtis Dunlap. It’s not that different that accepting a high school kid than re-opened there recruitment after committing at some point, which Fleck has done a couple times. Of course in season entries are a different circumstance though.
Yeah, and I still keep coming back to the fact that both Irving and Emilien are still on the roster. Absolutely could mean nothing but in the past they have been very quick to update the roster when guys enter the portal. Just makes me think maybe there is a chance they both come back but who knows.

For what it’s worth, I responded to a story Bucky had posted on Insta saying that I hoped he was still going to change his mind and he liked my comment… So maybe he’s still one oar in the boat!
He's back! :LOL:

Top Bottom