Mar’Keise Irving enters the transfer portal

Did not know that "NIL collectives" were already common things at P5's now.

It does move fast.
There was an article in The Athletic about how Tenn was proudly marching towards $25M fund for their NIL

I may end up sacking college football if this goes beyond wacko

There was an article in The Athletic about how Tenn was proudly marching towards $25M fund for their NIL

I'm in the same boat. Just going to try to enjoy the next couple of years before it goes completely off the rails.

OR, like Dabo Sweeny suggested, maybe the "Mega NIL" schools just need their own division. Like, their own division of the NCAA.

At least in football and men's (probably have to throw women's in there too) basketball.

Maybe this is the thing that does it, there.

If so, wonder if only subsets of conferences would be invited to participate.

Does teams buying players really bug you enough to not even watch the games anymore?

I have seen this take from multiple people but I just don't get it. The college football landscape hasn't been level for a long long time. Just enjoy the games and don't get wrapped up in all the stuff that none of us have any control over.

Money doesn't always buy happiness, or wins.

I still think giving a bunch of money to 17, 18, and 19 year olds who haven't proven anything, may not incentivize them to work quite as hard as they may have without it.

Money doesn't always buy happiness, or wins.

I still think giving a bunch of money to 17, 18, and 19 year olds who haven't proven anything, may not incentivize them to work quite as hard as they may have without it.
"Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard."

Nick Saban believes current state of NCAA football is not ‘sustainable’​

Link

With the changing transfer portal rules and a developing NIL landscape, college football finds itself in a new era which has kicked off what many call “free agency.” Alabama head coach Nick Saban, who has been one of the most willing to adapt throughout the years, weighed in on the future of the sport.

During a recent interview with the Associated Press, Nick Saban criticized college football and called for leaders to make swift changes.

“I don’t think what we’re doing right now is a sustainable model,” Saban said. “The concept of name, image and likeness was for players to be able to use their name, image and likeness to create opportunities for themselves. That’s what it was. So last year on our team, our guys probably made as much or more than anybody in the country.

“But that creates a situation where you can basically buy players. You can do it in recruiting. I mean, if that’s what we want college football to be, I don’t know. And you can also get players to get in the transfer portal to see if they can get more someplace else than they can get at your place.”

Does teams buying players really bug you enough to not even watch the games anymore?

I have seen this take from multiple people but I just don't get it. The college football landscape hasn't been level for a long long time. Just enjoy the games and don't get wrapped up in all the stuff that none of us have any control over.
If I want pro football I will watch the NFL. Also (see Saban article posted above) but NIL in it's current, unchecked form, will lead to huge disparities in recruiting (worse than current).

I'm in a wait and see approach but am skeptical in 5-10 years it will be a product I will watch.

Nick Saban believes current state of NCAA football is not ‘sustainable’​

Link

With the changing transfer portal rules and a developing NIL landscape, college football finds itself in a new era which has kicked off what many call “free agency.” Alabama head coach Nick Saban, who has been one of the most willing to adapt throughout the years, weighed in on the future of the sport.

During a recent interview with the Associated Press, Nick Saban criticized college football and called for leaders to make swift changes.

“I don’t think what we’re doing right now is a sustainable model,” Saban said. “The concept of name, image and likeness was for players to be able to use their name, image and likeness to create opportunities for themselves. That’s what it was. So last year on our team, our guys probably made as much or more than anybody in the country.

“But that creates a situation where you can basically buy players. You can do it in recruiting. I mean, if that’s what we want college football to be, I don’t know. And you can also get players to get in the transfer portal to see if they can get more someplace else than they can get at your place.”
He isn't wrong but it always sounds hollow coming from a guy like Saban who is probably mostly concerned about other teams getting some of his players.

If I want pro football I will watch the NFL. Also (see Saban article posted above) but NIL in it's current, unchecked form, will lead to huge disparities in recruiting (worse than current).

I'm in a wait and see approach but am skeptical in 5-10 years it will be a product I will watch.
I feel like we are headed to some sort of massive split where a bunch of schools drop their affiliation with the NCAA and essentially become a minor/prep league for the NFL with paid players.

I guess I just don't get hung up in all the have vs. have not thing. As long as the Gophers can compete with the vast majority of the teams on their schedule it is what it is. I will still tune in on Saturdays to watch the games.

I feel like we are headed to some sort of massive split where a bunch of schools drop their affiliation with the NCAA and essentially become a minor/prep league for the NFL with paid players.
At that point would they even require the players to go to school? Or would it just be minor league football players wearing school colors and playing in college-owned stadiums? Kind of like the Pumas de UNAM in Mexican soccer?

In case you're not a soccer fan, but UNAM is a highly regarded university in Mexico (similar to a Big Ten school) and they own a very successful professional soccer team in the Mexican league. The players on the team are not students though.

I think the biggest turn-off for fans is the hopping around of players, and especially (big time) recruits who came in and haven't even had a chance to contribute on the field.

The NFL "controls" it (somewhat) with players signing contracts.

Maybe something like that is needed.

But of course, the whole thing with the NCAA is to keep up the theater that the players are just amateurs, students first and foremost, who spend their extra-curricular time playing some sports when they're not studying.

They think this "branding" and "image" is critically vital to the success of college sports.

NIL, after all, is a completely separate thing from college. It's just a college student having a private, side-gig off to the side that has nothing to do with the school or team, and isn't funded in any way by the school.

(wink wink)

At that point would they even require the players to go to school? Or would it just be minor league football players wearing school colors and playing in college-owned stadiums? Kind of like the Pumas de UNAM in Mexican soccer?

In case you're not a soccer fan, but UNAM is a highly regarded university in Mexico (similar to a Big Ten school) and they own a very successful professional soccer team in the Mexican league. The players on the team are not students though.
I don't know what it will look like but it just feels like we are headed towards some sort of division in football where you have the Alabama, Ohio State level teams all going against each other and then you have the rest of the FBS teams in something resembling the current format.

If/when something will happen....who knows but I just feel like we are headed that direction. FCS, FBS, and then whatever that top league ends up being.

I don't know what it will look like but it just feels like we are headed towards some sort of division in football where you have the Alabama, Ohio State level teams all going against each other and then you have the rest of the FBS teams in something resembling the current format.

If/when something will happen....who knows but I just feel like we are headed that direction. FCS, FBS, and then whatever that top league ends up being.
Agreed. And it should be.

The question is -- does that top division include Minnesota?

We all know that Minnesota is not Alabama and Ohio State, and probably never can be. Nor is/can Iowa or Wisconsin.

But on the other hand, we don't want to become the new Ivy League ...

Agreed. And it should be.

The question is -- does that top division include Minnesota?

We all know that Minnesota is not Alabama and Ohio State, and probably never can be. Nor is/can Iowa or Wisconsin.

But on the other hand, we don't want to become the new Ivy League ...
I would not see Minnesota being in that league because we don't have the infrastructure to compete in terms of local talent base and rabid boosters willing to spend crazy amounts of money.

From the Big Ten I could see Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State being slam dunks for this kind of league with Michigan State and Nebraska trying to tag along potentially.

SEC - Most of this conference would probably go outside of maybe Missouri and Vanderbilt.

Big 12 - with Texas and Oklahoma gone not sure any of the others would qualify

Pac 12 - USC and Oregon

ACC - Clemson, Florida State, Miami

Others - Notre Dame

Mar’Keise Irving sure did stir some hot chili.
THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

Beaker.gif

I currently have a $600 voluntary schlolarship donation attached to my season tickets. In the future I wouldn't doubt I will aso have a voluntary NIL contribution.
I can choose not to pay either and the consequences are no tickets. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

OR, like Dabo Sweeny suggested, maybe the "Mega NIL" schools just need their own division. Like, their own division of the NCAA.

At least in football and men's (probably have to throw women's in there too) basketball.

Maybe this is the thing that does it, there.

If so, wonder if only subsets of conferences would be invited to participate.

Interesting.

I guess the positive out of this, is there is no reason to be Fedexing thousands of $ to next Kenny Sky Walker - pretty sure Joe B. And the SlimeCats skated on that one

Just like sausages and hotdogs for me - love them occasionally and can’t eat them if I think about one of my favorite books The Jungle by Upton Sinclair - I was off then for about 5 years.

Am I naïve? No. But I do enjoy my naïveté and it reminds me of growing up in a small town in Douglas County.

I currently have a $600 voluntary schlolarship donation attached to my season tickets. In the future I wouldn't doubt I will aso have a voluntary NIL contribution.
I can choose not to pay either and the consequences are no tickets. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Seems unlikely .... the schools aren't distributing NIL money that I've seen.

Why?

I understand maybe why you wouldn't want Morgan but what is your reasoning for wanting Athan?
I think Morgan will better this season with new offense but I feel like it’s time for something new. I don’t know how Athan will turn out but he’s built for big ten football and I know he comes highly rated as a recruit. Same reason I’d rather have Bucko as our feature back then Mo.

I would not see Minnesota being in that league because we don't have the infrastructure to compete in terms of local talent base and rabid boosters willing to spend crazy amounts of money.

From the Big Ten I could see Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State being slam dunks for this kind of league with Michigan State and Nebraska trying to tag along potentially.

SEC - Most of this conference would probably go outside of maybe Missouri and Vanderbilt.

Pac 12 - USC and Oregon

Others - Notre Dame
Now this is a league I wouldn't watch. Already watch the NFL.

I watch Big Ten because I watch Minnesota. Hopefully the "remainder Big Ten" (plus say Iowa St, etc.) would still get on TV a decent amount, and I'd watch that.

I'm in the same boat. Just going to try to enjoy the next couple of years before it goes completely off the rails.
Same. Seeing my favorite player poached for money when there’s no salary cap really just doesn’t interest me

There is a way to keep this all in check - but it would have to withstand a court challenge.

and that idea is this: the NCAA adopts a rule regulating NIL, so that all NIL agreements have to be initiated by the athlete.

Instead of Joe QB walking into State U and being handed a pre-arranged NIL package, Joe QB has to be the one who contacts prospective NIL partners - or hires an NIL representative to negotiate on his behalf. And no negotiations could be conducted until Joe QB is enrolled in school. ergo, when Joe QB is being recruited, the State U Booster NIL club cannot promise Joe QB a 7-figure NIL deal.

I would put a further restriction that NIL agreements have to be with an established business, not some nebulous group formed solely for the purpose of pooling NIL money.

the question is whether this would be legal. I know there was the Supreme Court case which deal with a different side of athlete's legal rights. That was on "education related benefits." NIL by definition is not education related.

Just like Michigan basketball in Fab 5 days or many schools in the one and done era.

It isn't about the landscape, it is about what brought us to college football fandom in the first place. If college football is just going to be the NFL-lite up to and including unlimited free agency with NIL deals on top of it what is the point?

I love the Gophers, but whatever this is becoming is not the college football I have spent my life caring about so it is a nice easy jump off point. That is a personal feeling, for others if they like it good on them I am genuinely happy for them.

That kind of stuff is easy for me. I only care about my teams anyways (I never watch other games unless I am in a place and it happens to be on in front of my face) so it isn't like I will be missing out. When it is no longer fun I stop caring as much and when I dont care as much I stop putting aside time to pay attention. Too many other things to do or care about in the world sports is a hobby.

I dont think that will happen, but if it does the Gophers are going with tOSU. The Big Ten will all go together they aren't going to let some teams play in the semi-pro league and some in the amateur league.

So again, this is bad for the Gophers.

Pac 12 - USC and Oregon

Others - Notre Dame
It doesn't matter if we are "in their league" the Big Ten is not going to allow the teams to divide up amongst divisions. You can take it to the bank.

Top Bottom