Mar’Keise Irving enters the transfer portal

So I would have no problem with him coming back but many on here have stated once you’re in the portal you’re done. I think I was in that discussion in the cam Wiley portal discussion. Is it different because it is the spring?
Yes it's different because it's off-season. Cam quit the team in season.

For what it’s worth, I responded to a story Bucky had posted on Insta saying that I hoped he was still going to change his mind and he liked my comment… So maybe he’s still one oar in the boat!
Crisis averted!

John Daly very talented as a golfer with some equally poor alcohol decisions is probably the source of the infamous moniker. Perception is he wasted his immense talent.

Infamous usually means someone that is famous for being evil.
Not evil, but he was suspended by the PGA for his antics for failing to finish some Tournaments in the early 90s and had to WD from the US Open in 1997. As talented as he was, who knows what he could have been without his addictions.

So I would have no problem with him coming back but many on here have stated once you’re in the portal you’re done. I think I was in that discussion in the cam Wiley portal discussion. Is it different because it is the spring?
If I were PJ, and I'm not nearly that awesome, I would treat someone's trip into the portal as a one-way ticket. Sure, there are special circumstances a player needs to get back home because mom's got cancer or such so there will be exceptions, but in general, once someone turns in their ticket I wouldn't take them back, especially when it's NIL motivated. If he takes Bucky back, then the message is sent for every decent player to go ahead and enter the portal every summer just to see what options come their way.

If I were PJ, and I'm not nearly that awesome, I would treat someone's trip into the portal as a one-way ticket. Sure, there are special circumstances a player needs to get back home because mom's got cancer or such so there will be exceptions, but in general, once someone turns in their ticket I wouldn't take them back, especially when it's NIL motivated. If he takes Bucky back, then the message is sent for every decent player to go ahead and enter the portal every summer just to see what options come their way.
Is it that different if people have been in his ear saying they have NIL money for him to move his family into a safer neighborhood? I think it's easy to overlook what NIL can actually mean for many players.

FWIW I know nothing non-public about this situation, just pointing out that there are very good reasons some players may need to monetize their talents before the NFL, and we should be careful about how we judge that.

Is it that different if people have been in his ear saying they have NIL money for him to move his family into a safer neighborhood? I think it's easy to overlook what NIL can actually mean for many players.

FWIW I know nothing non-public about this situation, just pointing out that there are very good reasons some players may need to monetize their talents before the NFL, and we should be careful about how we judge that.
I think the Gophers remain classy. Goodwill begets goodwill.

I have a college student and deciding on major, if they want to stay at that school, etc. is a constant topic. I can't imagine throwing in D1 athlete dynamics into the situation. I have no problem if PJ wants to demand loyalty above all else and say good-bye to anyone who flinches. However, I also think PJ has the ability to discern if this is a loyalty issue or just a young man trying to figure things out issue. He is talented and would welcome him back with the right conversation and focus. Sometimes looking around brings clarity.

I thought NIL wasn’t supposed to be used as a recruiting tool. Obviously we knew that would be near impossible to enforce, but now it seems to not even be frowned upon.

Who the hell told you that?
Everyone was saying that. I mean as far as guaranteeing or coaches brokering certain deals. Like literally shopping around for the best NIL package was not supposed to be something a player could do. Obviously a coach could disclose what other players have received, but a player is not supposed to know for certain what he would make at one place versus another.

I would note here that it also depends on how a player communicates with his coach, teammates, etc. It’s one thing if Bucky is communicating with PJ up front, voicing reasons, having a discussion around those reasons, and working hand in hand… it’s entirely different to quit mid season, bash the coach, the team, etc.

I have no knowledge of how Bucky handled this, nor any knowledge of any other transfer… but having an employee tell me they are considering another offer leaves me in a place where we can discuss what their goals are, how I see their current role either helping them meet their goals or not… and guide them to what’s best for them. If that same employee just tells me they quit and already accepted another offer, that’s more of a one way ticket out the door.

I think it would need to be extremely extenuating circumstances to bring an athlete back after they have entered the portal. Maybe this is one of those circumstances, but I doubt it. Our RB room will be elite without Irving. I wish he hadn't entered the portal but he did, this ship has sailed.

I mostly agree, but we don't know what he told Fleck. It is possible he told him was doing it looking for something but absent of that he will be back and Fleck was ok with it. Like basketball players who enter the draft to get evaluated...

Not saying that happened mind you, bu tit is a situation I could see a coach being ok with them still.

Everyone was saying that. I mean as far as guaranteeing or coaches brokering certain deals. Like literally shopping around for the best NIL package was not supposed to be something a player could do. Obviously a coach could disclose what other players have received, but a player is not supposed to know for certain what he would make at one place versus another.

I think that is only true of the schools. Bucky himself can look into it and talk to people and he certainly can field offers for potential NIL deals.

I highly doubt that is being enforced at all. I think schools (or their proxies) are actively recruiting players with NIL deals.

I mostly agree, but we don't know what he told Fleck. It is possible he told him was doing it looking for something but absent of that he will be back and Fleck was ok with it. Like basketball players who enter the draft to get evaluated...

Not saying that happened mind you, bu tit is a situation I could see a coach being ok with them still.
Can't really see this coach being ok with a key player missing spring practice.

Not ideal but guys miss spring practice for a variety of reasons. This whole situation is strange, odd that he is still on the roster and odd that we aren't hearing anything about potential destinations for him (unless I am missing something).

Gotta think he showed enough last year that he would get a fair amount of attention in the portal.

Infamous usually means someone that is famous for being evil.

Not necessarily "evil". Daly was known for being a great golfer with some well documented vices. While I don't know a ton about Daly....and while I think it's fair to say that he probably squandered a bit of success due to extra circulars....he also managed some very high level success. Maybe he was an asshole or something.....but I've always heard of him being talked about with reverence....as a great golfer who broke the mold of the typical player.....behavior wise.

Not necessarily "evil". Daly was known for being a great golfer with some well documented vices. While I don't know a ton about Daly....and while I think it's fair to say that he probably squandered a bit of success due to extra circulars....he also managed some very high level success. Maybe he was an asshole or something.....but I've always heard of him being talked about with reverence....as a great golfer who broke the mold of the typical player.....behavior wise.
Not an asshole. Laid back, down home country boy much beloved in the golf world. His addiction is accepted because he is so honest about it and his life. A lot of people suffer with him because they can't understand how a good man could throw away so much.

Not an asshole. Laid back, down home country boy much beloved in the golf world. His addiction is accepted because he is so honest about it and his life. A lot of people suffer with him because they can't understand how a good man could throw away so much.
His addictions are/were plural, not singular. Additionally, he could be quite an ass. Wiki has a greatest hits of 10 of his incidents on the golf course. Most were just flat out childish.

I agree...but again there may be other things at play. (in theory obviously this is all speculation) I think if there is communication some coaches will be more open to things than others. Fleck strikes me as being that type of guy.

note: I don't think any of this happened.

He also went through the DTs on the course...I think infamous is the perfect term.

maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom