Mar’Keise Irving enters the transfer portal

Because he won two majors? Because Tiger once said JD was the greatest natural ball striker that ever lived? Pretty infamous stuff.

I always thought JD was the inspiration for Happy Gilmore. Huge wind-up swing. Zubas. Mullet. Early adopter of the oversized driver. Smoking and swilling beer during play. More "blue collar" than "country club".

I'd say iconic instead of infamous.

2 weeks. Still on the roster and still in the portal. Not even a mention of a potential landing destination when you google news him.

Anyone have any insider info?

2 weeks. Still on the roster and still in the portal. Not even a mention of a potential landing destination when you google news him.

Anyone have any insider info?

Not unusual. Some guys go into the portal and announce offers like other recruits.

Others hit the portal, you hear nothing, then they announce out of the blue.

No info here, but the whole situation continues to be very strange.
Agree 100%. I mean, why put your name into the portal very suddenly in the middle of spring practices if you didn't have a good idea where you'd land? I have zero inside info, but this feels like he'd been made promises about NIL money somewhere specific and it ultimately didn't work out for whatever reason.

Agree 100%. I mean, why put your name into the portal very suddenly in the middle of spring practices if you didn't have a good idea where you'd land? I have zero inside info, but this feels like he'd been made promises about NIL money somewhere specific and it ultimately didn't work out for whatever reason.
I'm not sure other teams can contact you (officially) until you're in the portal. If you're shopping around you gotta let folks know you're available.

Is P.J. Fleck leaving the door open for him to rejoin the team if he has a change of heart?

Been thinking about this. Grades?
My gut says something off the field happened involving Irving and Emilien but have no clue. Keep coming back to the roster thing because it is odd they are still listed on there. We don't have many guys left in the portal without a new home but they have all been removed from the roster.

I don't know, could absolutely mean nothing but it really feels like the door is open for a return.

No info here, but the whole situation continues to be very strange.
But also not too different from the first time Dunlap announced planning to leave the team? Taking a wild swing at that one, though.

But also not too different from the first time Dunlap announced planning to leave the team? Taking a wild swing at that one, though.
That is the one other time I can think of where a player wasn't immediately taken off the roster when entering the portal. May definitely be others but from what I can recall the change has happened real quickly when a player announces they are transferring.

That is the one other time I can think of where a player wasn't immediately taken off the roster when entering the portal. May definitely be others but from what I can recall the change has happened real quickly when a player announces they are transferring.
It's funny how the websites get updated quickly at times and ... not others.

Hard to know if it is meaningful or someone playing games with it or what.

Yeah, dangerous to read too much into it. That said, he has been in the portal now for a while and is still on the roster which seems very odd to me and is definitely a departure from how they usually do things.

In coming years, I think you're going to see lots of top line players/starters leaving their schools and entering the portal for NIL offers. A bidding war, so to speak.

I use the Iowa State MBB point guard as an example.

What a freaking pain in the ass for HCs.

Hmmm .... closed practices ...

Don't fall asleep people. Bucky might be there wearing 94. Could very well be the starting running back Saturday for either maroon or gold. My sense says Evans is the one that shines.

He's visiting Tennessee this weekend.

Go Gophers!!

In coming years, I think you're going to see lots of top line players/starters leaving their schools and entering the portal for NIL offers. A bidding war, so to speak.

I use the Iowa State MBB point guard as an example.

What a freaking pain in the ass for HCs.
I think this will be a far bigger issue in basketball than it will be in football but it will no doubt happen in football as well.

He's visiting Tennessee this weekend.

Go Gophers!!
Sucks but at least its something. This feels like when theres a girl you like and you should move on bc she cant committ, but for some reason you just dont.

Just tell us you dont want to be w us! 😂

There's just got to be more to the story with Irving then we know about.

With that redshirt available... take it and see what shakes out for 2023.

At least no one can use the "he's been passed on the depth chart" excuse so many like to use with transfers.

There's just got to be more to the story with Irving then we know about.

With that redshirt available... take it and see what shakes out for 2023.

At least no one can use the "he's been passed on the depth chart" excuse so many like to use with transfers.
Pretty sure the rumor has been that it is NIL related. I think it was said somewhere that he wants to move his mom out of the neighborhood she is in currently, so getting a good NIL deal would allow him to do that. Obviously it's all just rumors right now.

Is there really any decent P5 programs that he could transfer to and have any type of guaranteed path to play time at this point? It’s almost May, I would imagine the vast majority have shored up there backfields by now.

Is there really any decent P5 programs that he could transfer to and have any type of guaranteed path to play time at this point? It’s almost May, I would imagine the vast majority have shored up there backfields by now.
Any program who needs a RB.

Top Bottom