Juwan Howard

It looked to me like Gard initiated the hostilities, Howard overreacted twice, Krab and other Wisconsin idiot escalated the hostilities. If I'm scoring at home, three WI coaches take an unplanned vacation and Howard takes some time off.

Looking at the whole situation, I think Gard is as guilty as Howard, both for his own behavior and for running a program where his coaches can't control themselves.

Not only did you believe this nonsense when you wrote it, 7 people agreed with you! :ROFLMAO:

The mental gymnastics it takes to blame Gard as much as Howard..........impressive. I get that you guys hate Wisconsin. I don't blame you. But this is just too much. haha

Maybe you're being funny and the joke's on me. I sincerely hope so.

It's wisconsin, they're in the wrong. Not hard to follow.
Have to repose myself to straighten out my Chi.

Depends on what you mean by "initiated" it. Howard spent the final minute of the game staring down the Badger bench, then cursed at Gard as he walked by in the handshake line.

It was upon the cursing that Gard grabbed Howard's arm I assume to tell him why he called the timeout and Howard was having none of it. Howard then grabbed Gard by the shirt with a double fist clinch and started swearing even more at him.

I mean we can talk all day long about Gard grabbing Howard, but the fact that prior to that Howard lowered his facemask and swore at Gard...to me that started it. People saying you can't grab a guy, well you shouldn't be trash talking and swearing at a guy, either. That was the root of the whole thing. Howard couldn't resist trash talking the opposing head coach as he walked by. All Howard had to do was walk by without saying anything, but he wasn't mature enough to hold back.

Then, Krabbenhoff escalated it by being the douche bag that he is.

Plenty of blame to go around, but Howard is lucky to have a job. The head coach cannot do what he did. And, the anger is misplaced. Don't press and there won't be any timeouts. Press as if there's still a competition, you can't be mad when the other team treats is like it is still a competition.

Howard is lucky he has a job today. He is lucky he is a legendary alum there. He is lucky he won a Big Ten title and had a nice recruiting class. If that were Tom Crean, who is on the seat at Georgia, for example, he would have been fired last night.
That’s quite the different narrative than I saw play out…..the only stare down that took place was at the 15 second mark when he smirked at the Badger bench when they called timeout. You’re exaggerating. There was no curse out when they initially shoot hands. You can hear the audio. Howard says “I’ll remember that” and he is waking away. I’m not defending anything from that point forward but your version doesn’t match the facts.

Just saw a statement from the Wisconsin A.D. who indicated that members of the Wisconsin staff were injured during the altercation. If Krabbenhoft is claiming that he was injured as a result of that slab, he’s a bigger flopper than Brad Davison….😂😂😂

Just saw a statement from the Wisconsin A.D. who indicated that members of the Wisconsin staff were injured during the altercation. If Krabbenhoft is claiming that he was injured as a result of that slab, he’s a bigger flopper than Brad Davison….😂😂😂
I'm not a fighter or a trash talker, but people who run their mouth like Krabbenhoft did, can't expect nothing in return. It shouldn't work like that, people like him shouldn't be protected and play victim in this situation. Ugly situation all around from Gard, Howard, and Krabby. Shout out to the bald Wisco coach who tries to de escalate the situation immediately

My prediction for suspensions based on the video I saw. This is what I think the Big Ten will do, not necessarily what they should do:

Gard will get 1 game. Big Ten will say it's because Gard grabbed Howard's arm. The suspension will be more about appearances, he doesn't really deserve one.

#0 for Wisconsin (think he's a deep reserve) will get a 1 game suspension. He seemed to be in the middle of the fracas.

Howard will be suspended for the rest of the regular season, and allowed to return for the Big Ten Tournament.

Diabate will get a 3 game suspension. That dude was just throwing haymakers left and right.

I'm not a fighter or a trash talker, but people who run their mouth like Krabbenhoft did, can't expect nothing in return. It shouldn't work like that, people like him shouldn't be protected and play victim in this situation. Ugly situation all around from Gard, Howard, and Krabby. Shout out to the bald Wisco coach who tries to de escalate the situation immediately

Do we know what Krabbenhoft said? Because I haven't seen that reported anywhere. I think it's important to know what he said.

Saw somewhere that it was a different coach who got injured not the escalating prick.

As for the whole situation this is how I read the events.

Wisconsin blowing out Michigan, pulls starters
Michigan keeps starters in and plays full court defense against scrubs
At this point Howard being a prick by playing full court D with starters, Gard being prick by taking timeouts to needlessly extend the game

Game Ends

Howard clearly pissed appears to be ready to walk past Gard quickly but Gard slows him down to give some pointless explanation. Howard takes offense, Gard takes offense, other coaches and players try to separate them until jackass Wisconsin assistant comes in and says something to Howard which pisses him off and leads to Howard taking a swing at him and all hell breaks loose.

Post Game Press Conferences

Both coaches try to play the innocent victim. Howard says they weren't pressing, Gard saying he was just trying to give his guys more time to bring the ball up court, both look like jackasses. Both pretend they were totally mature in the handshake line and the other guy escalated it. Gard essentially going with "the card says go for 2" excuse instead of just being honest. Howard saying he felt he had to protect himself instead of just admitting he lost his cool and did something incredibly stupid. Again, both head coaches are pricks.

Aftermath

In my opinion, Howard deserves a harsh punishment, as a head coach you can't take a swing at an opposing teams coach....ever....end of story....
On the Wisconsin side of things I don't think what Gard did warrants a suspension on any kind. Krabbenhoff or whatever his name is should get a game and there are some players on both teams that should also get a punishment of some kind for their actions as there were a couple guys from both teams throwing punches.

Plenty of blame to go around but in the end Howard is easily the one who deserves the biggest and harshest punishment for his actions.

I've looked at two videos multiple times and it sure looks like Gard initiated the confrontation. How come nobody is talking about Gard's "anger management" issues? All Gard had to do was shake Howard's hand and keep moving and none of this happens.
Because if Howard doesn’t act like a dumbass what Gard did never even shows up on this board. But in the context of what it started what Gard did was bad (was bad out of context too but doesn’t matter if it doesn’t start something). Which is why I think Gard should get one game.

Because if Howard doesn’t act like a dumbass what Gard did never even shows up on this board. But in the context of what it started what Gard did was bad (was bad out of context too but doesn’t matter if it doesn’t start something). Which is why I think Gard should get one game.
We see coaches get a little heated with each other all the time right after the game. The whole thing is a non issue if Howard keeps his cool. Gard absolutely should have just let him walk by but what he did is not really that unusual, Howard taking a swing is what makes the whole thing stand out.

That's how I see it too. I get that Gard shouldn't have touched Howard, but the way he touched him wasn't at all aggressive. We all know it wasn't, so was Howard. He was doing that fake "don't touch me" thing where he's looking for a fight.

Howard started throwing bombs. If I were the AD, I'd probably can him.
I don't agree that Gard should get a pass on this. Howard was completely in the wrong to slap/punch and his actions leading up to that point are not admirable. Think he should get a BIG suspension of not less than 5 games and if that includes the BIG Tournament so be it. If he gets 10 games it should carry over to next years BIG schedule and not when they play some directional Michigan game at the start of the year.
Gard should get 1 game minimum for his part. Complete BS that he was trying to explain himself to Howard. he was looking for a fight and escalated things when all he had to do was shake his hand and keep walking. If Howard said something, Gard could have just said basically the same thing back and kept walking or not said a word. He didn't and that is when things start to go off the rails. Krabbenhoft should get a minimum of 3 games for his role in it as well. If Howard gets 10, then Krabbenhoft should get 5. He had no business stepping and and saying anything. As an assistant his job would have been to get Gard away from the situation.
Both school should be embarrassed by this.

In a perfect world, Gard would have acted like the adult in the room and just walked away.

My read is that Howard started complaining, and Gard was trying to "prove" that he did nothing wrong from his perspective. If Gard turns around and walks away, nothing happens.

But, you can't suspend people for something they didn't do.

So, Howard gets suspended, and any players who threw punches get suspended.

Gard gets some kind of a verbal or written warning, and everyone is on double secret probation for the rest of the season.

Gard being prick by taking timeouts to needlessly extend the game
>>>>>>>>

Called a timeout to put in the end of his bench. Called another to organize them against MI's press. Wisc gave it away at least once before Gard defied the rules of gawd and man to give the end of his bench a chance to settle down. Your "extend the game" is just flat out wrong.

No surprise here,
This is just an extension of the world we live in. No one is held accountable for anything.
I disagree with this, but a slap on the hand is all anyone will get.
1st offense or 5th one ,will give them one more chance, total BS
HOWARD SHOULD BE FIRED,BUT WONT BE.

You’re exaggerating. There was no curse out when they initially shoot hands. You can hear the audio. Howard says “I’ll remember that” and he is waking away. I’m not defending anything from that point forward but your version doesn’t match the facts.

Uh, you can clearly hear Howard say "I'm gonna remember that shit," nodding his head as if he's ready to throw down. That's just stupid and I'm sure Gard was trying to explain to him why he called the timeout. I'd even go as far as to say Gard was ready for the blow-by handshake until Howard started trash talking. Howard couldn't help himself. You can even hear Gard start trying to explain himself, saying "whoa, hey..." and Howard grabs him with both hands and starts dropping F bombs on him.

And, yes, watch the TV replay. Howard stared down the Badger bench almost the entire final 50 seconds of the game. It was the sole reason that CBS stayed with the broadcast, they could see it brewing. They waited on the handshake line and the announcer ended up doing blow-by-blow like it was a boxing match.

Last edited:

The Wisconsin AD should is cower in shame. His own players are repeatedly playing dirty. And not a word.

This is one of my all time favorites. If anyone knows what Cheney is saying, I'd love to hear it. He comes into Calipari's press conference and starts ranting about something. Calipari had just beaten his team. Cheney had owned the conference for years, and then this guy named Calipari showed up.

Here You Go

I remember when that happened I was a huge Temple fan from afar (the A-10 was always on TV) so this was an odd moment.

It's on another thread, but apparently Davison took a cheap shot at Hunter Dickenson of Michigan during a recent game.

And Badger fans wonder why other teams don't like Wisconsin.
The single most shocking part in all this is that Davison wasn't somehow right in the middle of it....of course he is more the cheapshot type and would be the one hiding in the back when the actually fighting was going on (as he was in this case until after it was over when he took center stage again trying to get the team to go sing their school song).

That’s quite the different narrative than I saw play out…..the only stare down that took place was at the 15 second mark when he smirked at the Badger bench when they called timeout. You’re exaggerating. There was no curse out when they initially shoot hands. You can hear the audio. Howard says “I’ll remember that” and he is waking away. I’m not defending anything from that point forward but your version doesn’t match the facts.
What?? The only way possible that you didn't hear Howard cuss at Gard is if you watched an edited version of the clip. "I'll remember that" is only the first 3 words of what Howard said... It's very very clear.

Top Bottom