Juwan Howard

I've looked at two videos multiple times and it sure looks like Gard initiated the confrontation. How come nobody is talking about Gard's "anger management" issues? All Gard had to do was shake Howard's hand and keep moving and none of this happens.

I've looked at two videos multiple times and it sure looks like Gard initiated the confrontation. How come nobody is talking about Gard's "anger management" issues? All Gard had to do was shake Howard's hand and keep moving and none of this happens.

Depends on what you mean by "initiated" it. Howard spent the final minute of the game staring down the Badger bench, then cursed at Gard as he walked by in the handshake line.

It was upon the cursing that Gard grabbed Howard's arm I assume to tell him why he called the timeout and Howard was having none of it. Howard then grabbed Gard by the shirt with a double fist clinch and started swearing even more at him.

I mean we can talk all day long about Gard grabbing Howard, but the fact that prior to that Howard lowered his facemask and swore at Gard...to me that started it. People saying you can't grab a guy, well you shouldn't be trash talking and swearing at a guy, either. That was the root of the whole thing. Howard couldn't resist trash talking the opposing head coach as he walked by. All Howard had to do was walk by without saying anything, but he wasn't mature enough to hold back.

Then, Krabbenhoff escalated it by being the douche bag that he is.

Plenty of blame to go around, but Howard is lucky to have a job. The head coach cannot do what he did. And, the anger is misplaced. Don't press and there won't be any timeouts. Press as if there's still a competition, you can't be mad when the other team treats it like it is still a competition.

Howard is lucky he has a job today. He is lucky he is a legendary alum there. He is lucky he won a Big Ten title and had a nice recruiting class. If that were Tom Crean, who is on the seat at Georgia, for example, he would have been fired last night.

Last edited:

Why do certain people try to keep blaming Gard for "initiating" or grabbing Howard? It's the handshake line FFS. Literally every game always features two coaches in that situation shaking hands/patting each other on the shoulder/whatever and having a few words. That's likely what Gard expected to happen here. He literally had his hands in the hand shake and elbow pat position when Howard says some shit and tried to blow past him. Gard's "escalation" is literally placing his hands on Howard's hand and elbow just like every other game always. I have no idea how people actually expect him to react to Howard's inappropriate behavior by just jumping out of the way. Shit talking and blowing off the handshake is orders of magnitude more "escalating" than anything Gard did.

Not that any of that matters, Howard did the punching regardless, but it seems some people are really trying to find a way to blame Bucky for this happening

Attachments

• 4395425D-68C1-4D53-B871-0E0C14E98A9A.png
    4395425D-68C1-4D53-B871-0E0C14E98A9A.png
    752.4 KB · Views: 6

Gard will not get suspended. What would they suspend him for ? Badger benchwarmer should get a game. Several Michigan guys including Howard will be punished.
That's how I see it too. I get that Gard shouldn't have touched Howard, but the way he touched him wasn't at all aggressive. We all know it wasn't, so was Howard. He was doing that fake "don't touch me" thing where he's looking for a fight.

Howard started throwing bombs. If I were the AD, I'd probably can him.

Why do certain people try to keep blaming Gard for "initiating" or grabbing Howard? It's the handshake line FFS. Literally every game always features two coaches in that situation shaking hands/patting each other on the shoulder/whatever and having a few words. That's likely what Gard expected to happen here. He literally had his hands in the hand shake and elbow pat position when Howard says some shit and tried to blow past him. Gard's "escalation" is literally placing his hands on Howard's hand and elbow just like every other game always. I have no idea how people actually expect him to react to Howard's inappropriate behavior by just jumping out of the way. Shit talking and blowing off the handshake is orders of magnitude more "escalating" than anything Gard did.

Not that any of that matters, Howard did the punching regardless, but it seems some people are really trying to find a way to blame Bucky for this happening
Yep, I hate Bucky as much anyone but this is on Howard.

Most likely the unapologetic Howard will basically get a pass on this. Many coaches wouldn’t be so fortunate.

Minnesota Jay is correct as far as me. I am looking for wisconsin to be in the wrong because I dislike them so much. Geeze, really do. One more thing, so happy it’s not a Gopher incident.

Again, my opinion and those of the rest of this board on the topic of Howard are meaningless.
Those whose opinions count, the MI AD and the MI President, immediately called their WI counterparts to apologize.
They knew who was in the wrong and they knew who was besmirching MI's excellent academic reputation and who was angering MI's very influential alumni.

Again, my opinion and those of the rest of this board on the topic of Howard are meaningless.
Those whose opinions count, the MI AD and the MI President, immediately called their WI counterparts to apologize.
They knew who was in the wrong and they knew who was besmirching MI's excellent academic reputation and who was angering MI's very influential alumni.
Michigan has a head coach being held back as he is throwing punches at people. There isn't much to interpret.

That's how I see it too. I get that Gard shouldn't have touched Howard, but the way he touched him wasn't at all aggressive. We all know it wasn't, so was Howard. He was doing that fake "don't touch me" thing where he's looking for a fight.

Howard started throwing bombs. If I were the AD, I'd probably can him.
Gard physically impeded Howard's forward progress by pushing into the crook of his elbow, throwing him slightly off balance and stopping his momentum. Up to that point, Howard was trying to move past him after having yelled at him. Gard was having none of it and things got more physical between the two of them after Gard pushed into his elbow, which stopped Howard. Of course it was aggressive.

Howard should be suspended. Gard and his two assistants as well.

Gard physically impeded Howard's forward progress by pushing into the crook of his elbow, throwing him slightly off balance and stopping his momentum. Up to that point, Howard was trying to move past him after having yelled at him. Gard was having none of it and things got more physical between the two of them after Gard pushed into his elbow, which stopped Howard. Of course it was aggressive.

Yeah, I do get that. I have no issue with Gard being suspended but we all live in the real world. What Gard did wouldn't have made a single headline throughout the country. It was probably wrong but nowhere near outrageous. I'd guess if you walked by 90% of the verbal arguments in the country happening right now between any two people, there is a similar level of physicality. I'm not defending Gard, I dislike him and everything Bucky. However, Juwan Howard threw punches. That is THE line you never cross. Even in football where players constantly push people after the whistle, throwing a punch is a huge no.

I hate Wisconsin, I hope the NCAA puts WI basketball and football on 25 year sanctions.

I just know if I were the Michigan AD, I'd have a hard time keeping Howard. I don't think he'll be fired, but I think throwing a punch would be the end of his run if I were the AD.

Yeah and this is the nonsense I was just talking about. Gard "impeding" Howard by attempting to engage in standard handshake line behavior is appropriate. Howard yelling at him and trying to blow him off is not

Yeah, I do get that. I have no issue with Gard being suspended but we all live in the real world. What Gard did wouldn't have made a single headline throughout the country. It was probably wrong but nowhere near outrageous. I'd guess if you walked by 90% of the verbal arguments in the country happening right now between any two people, there is a similar level of physicality. I'm not defending Gard, I dislike him and everything Bucky. However, Juwan Howard threw punches. That is THE line you never cross. Even in football where players constantly push people after the whistle, throwing a punch is a huge no.

I hate Wisconsin, I hope the NCAA puts WI basketball and football on 25 year sanctions.

I just know if I were the Michigan AD, I'd have a hard time keeping Howard. I don't think he'll be fired, but I think throwing a punch would be the end of his run if I were the AD.
Howard didn't throw punches. He threw one 'punch' and it's a stretch to call it a punch.

I've watched it multiple times as well and it looks to me like Howard was going to go past Gard in the hand shake line and Gard grabbed his elbow to pull him back, that's when Howard said "don't touch me" and then pointed his finger at Gard and things escalated from there. I hate the Badgers as much as anybody on this board, but I happen to agree with the TV commentators when they said that they could understand why Howard was upset, but this is something that could have been handled by a Monday morning phone call, not a fight in front of all the players. Clearly Howard is in trouble on this one. He has to remember who the adult is and what kind of an example he is setting for his players. I have always been a fan of his and really admire the way he has treated Ben Johnson, but this altercation is on him. Had he not ignored the handshake, Had he just shook Gard's hand and said nothing, and given himself 24 hours to cool down a bit, none of this would've happened. Gard was in the wrong as well, I feel, for calling the timeout, but he didn't do anything that would warrant this type of an outburst, IMHO.

Top Bottom