Juwan Howard

Can hear a lot here

After seeing this....I think Howard is the only one who gets suspended. Yes.....Gard should not have put his hands on him. But Howard went way overboard there. Gard seemed like he was trying to back off when Howard reacted.....but Howard kind of started getting aggressive and yelling "don't fucking touch me" repeatedly while getting up in his face.

Who really knows. Stupid and childish by both of them.

After seeing this....I think Howard is the only one who gets suspended. Yes.....Gard should not have put his hands on him. But Howard went way overboard there. Gard seemed like he was trying to back off when Howard reacted.....but Howard kind of started getting aggressive and yelling "don't fucking touch me" repeatedly while getting up in his face.

Who really knows. Stupid and childish by both of them.
Gard will not get suspended. What would they suspend him for ? Badger benchwarmer should get a game. Several Michigan guys including Howard will be punished.

It looked to me like Gard initiated the hostilities, Howard overreacted twice, Krab and other Wisconsin idiot escalated the hostilities. If I'm scoring at home, three WI coaches take an unplanned vacation and Howard takes some time off.

Looking at the whole situation, I think Gard is as guilty as Howard, both for his own behavior and for running a program where his coaches can't control themselves.

Wifey tells me the cops are investigating possible charges.

It is just a game that is out of reach. A frustrated coach is reacting to a lousy season.

Why couldn't Howard just let it go instead of having his players press?

There is a lot of growing up to do. Gard shouldn't have called a timeout. Sure, it was within his rights.

I see possibly a three-game suspension. Will any of the players on either side be suspended too?

I looks like Davison was trying to go to the student section to sing Varsity which is a post-game ritual at home games.
Right, I hate Davison as much as the next guy but I have to respect his pettiness with wanting to stay and sing Varsity.

There was pushing and seemed a few swings taken by players as well. Hard to think there won’t be a few suspensions on each side, Howard’s being the longest.

Calling a time out with 15 seconds left up 15 or so is stupid. Gard was clearly trying to rub his nose in it a little bit. What’s the worst that can happen? Did he really think Michigan was going to pull up a 15 point play?
Gard called the timeout because he had his reserves in the game. The ball went out of bounds and they had four seconds to cross the 10 second line. By calling the timeout he bought them 10 seconds to cross.
No coach ever has spent practice time with his second unit on press break. If your first group is pressing in practice, the point is to build confidence in them. You don't help the 2nd team much by design.
In a game you are responsible to put your players in a position to succeed .ie take the timeout if the other joker is pressing down 15 with 15 seconds left

Howard should get suspended for the remainder of the season, at minimum the remainder of the regular season. What he did is unacceptable. I think he’ll keep his job, but he’s very lucky that he will. Guarantee if Tom Crean did the same thing today Georgia already would have fired him for cause before he even got on the plane home.

Also think others should get a game or two suspension. If you watch the most recent video posted above you can clearly see Gard was a participant in the escalation. He shouldn’t make the trip to Mpls on Wednesday. His excuse about “I called the timeout so we didn’t get a ten second violation” is nonsense. Can’t even count how many times I’ve seen teams purposely take shot clock violations/etc in the final 20 seconds when up by double digits. The game was over and he made the choice to rub it in.
And that typically happens with starters in the game. And certainly not if the other team is pressing. Wisconsin would have too if Michigan wasn't pressing.
Just to be real clear: I do not like wisconsin, but Howard barked first...I'm going to explain myself just like Gard did if Howard thinks I was somehow at fault. Howard was the one who escalated everything from pressing to yelling.

Last edited:

Howard has anger issues.
His explanation for his behavior without any remorse shows he thinks that he is above the norms of behavior for a HC.
If he had been punished more severely last year when he went after the MD coach in the BIG tournament he might not have done his thug act in Madison.
The MI AD apologized to every known U of WI official for his teams' behavior, including the HC's behavior, immediately after the incident.
That is all you have to know about where the fault lies.

All Howard has to claim is self defense here correct? The video clearly shows Gard put his hands on Howard first.

I would think recent highly publicized court cases in Wisconsin shows how much the badger state appreciates self defence right?

Gard will not get suspended. What would they suspend him for ? Badger benchwarmer should get a game. Several Michigan guys including Howard will be punished.

Yes....I think it is unlikely.

And that typically happens with starters in the game. And certainly not if the other team is pressing. Wisconsin would have too if Michigan wasn't pressing.
Just to be real clear: I do not like wisconsin, but Howard barked first...I'm going to explain myself just like Gard did if Howard thinks I was somehow at fault. Howard was the one who escalated everything from pressing to yelling.
It’s usually benchwarmers in the game with 15 seconds left when up by 14. I’ll ask this: how many times have you seen a coach call timeout up 14 with 15 seconds left vs how many times have you seen a team voluntarily take a shot clock/10 second violation in the same situation? I guarantee you’ve seen the latter far more often. Gard’s excuse is a bunch of nonsense.
As I said in my earlier comment — Howard is by far the main issue here. He should be suspended for the rest of the regular season at minimum. What he did was wrong, and there is no way around that.

But to just take Gard’s excuse at face value is pretty naive. He made a choice to escalate it.

Juwan Howard was the main bad actor here, no doubt. However that doesn’t mean that no one else contributed to this escalating far beyond what it should have.

Last edited:

It’s usually benchwarmers in the game with 15 seconds left. I’ll ask this: how many times have you seen a coach call timeout up 14 with 15 seconds left vs how many times have you seen a team voluntarily take a shot clock violation in the same situation? I guarantee it is the latter. Guard’s excuse is a bunch of nonsense.
As I said in my earlier comment — Howard is by far the main issue here. He should be suspended for the rest of the regular season at minimum. What he did was wrong, and there is no way around that.

But to just take Gard’s excuse at face value is pretty naive. He made a choice to escalate it.

Juwan Howard was the main bad actor here, no doubt. However that doesn’t mean that no one else contributed to this escalating far beyond what it should have.
Tell me how many times you see an opponent press the other teams reserves down 15 with 15 seconds left?
There is no escalation if Howard does not come at Gard barking. You letting that coach keep walking? I am not! Howard was wrong. If he can press, I can sure as hell take a timeout to help my reserves.

That’s not the order of what happened. Howard said something yes, but he was ready to walk on by. Gard grabbed his arm and put his hand on him. View attachment 17076
View attachment 17077
Yeah. If I’m commissioner, gaard gets a game.
Howard gets 10 with the hope Michigan just fires him

These are the alleged leaders. No wonder gaard stands up for cheap play by his players. If you can’t handle someone being frustrated at you without grabbing them as they walk by you are in the wrong profession. Howard clearly worse, I think gaard deserves a game for initiating physical contact. Two petty small individuals.

I would rather lose without Howard than win with him.
I don’t hold the same opinion of gaard but I do think he deserves a game

Tell me how many times you see an opponent press the other teams reserves down 15 with 15 seconds left?
There is no escalation if Howard does not come at Gard barking. You letting that coach keep walking? I am not! Howard was wrong. If he can press, I can sure as hell take a timeout to help my reserves.
Both coaches were being pricks and both came across like idiots with their explanations after the game.

Not true. Howard is by far the person who is most in the wrong and deserves the harshest punishment, but Gard grabbed Howard's arm to prevent him from walking away from him. The yelling, pushing, and punching escalated from that.

Dang. Color me as one person who would *not* want to be on the receiving end of a Juwan Howard punch, like, ever.

Probably a good thing for both coaches that punch didn't really land. Had it truly connected, that would've knocked Krabbenhoft's block off, and Howard could have realistically been charged with assault.

Probably more times than you see the team up by 15 with 15 seconds left take a timeout. You let ‘em press all they want and walk away with the win! Who cares?
I guarantee other coaches have said things similar to (or worse than) “I’ll remember that” during the postgame handshake. Everyone knows tensions are high. But if you grab the coach to chat about it in the moment it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that you’re escalating the situation.

I agree with eliminating the hand shake line.1 hand shake at the center circle before the game with the team about to kick your but is sufficient .
Disagree. It is called sportsmanship and accepting the outcome of the game. We should changes traditions and expectations of conduct just because players/coaches are not mature enough to deal with it.

Top Bottom