I've Seen Enough

After Pitino's second season, he lost a bunch of players to graduation -- Andre Hollins, Dre Matthieu, Elliot Eliason, and Mo Walker. His year three roster included one senior that played much (Joey King), was led by a sophomore point guard (Mason) and had all of its talent in the freshman and sophomore classes (Mason/Murphy/Dorsey/McBrayer) and/or had yet to arrive. That roster had a disastrous conference season (2-16) in sort of a reset year but went on to the tournament two of the next three years and likely would have been three for three if not for all the injuries and suspension in year five.

Fast forward to "year seven". After losing seven players off last year's team, the roster is configured very similarly to his "year three" team -- one senior that plays (Demir), led by a sophomore point guard, and all the talent is in the freshman and sophomore classes and/or coming in next year.

I'm not completely against the thought of moving on. It wouldn't be the biggest sports travesty in history. But I'm also quite sure his team this year would destroy his year three team and I'd put my money on the over if we looked at the number of tournament appearances and wins over the next three years relative to the prior group's success. My own perception is that this team, this coaching staff, the recruits, or something has improved over the last few years.

I sometimes wonder if his lack of cachet that he earned over the first six years will distort the perception (and ultimately be his undoing) in what should have been the viewpoint of year seven from the beginning -- a reset year.
Spot on. I think that the AD is looking at the coach he has today as being more important than what the whole 7 years were- especially since Pitino was brought in so green.

I think Pitino is a good enough coach to get it done here. I think the bigger issue is whether or not he can overcome the perception of the negative crowd. At some point you can't sell the coach to the fans and if we don't make the tournament, Coyle may see that as the bigger issue.

Is this season over? I hadn't heard that.

I said- to repeat- his last 4 years have been much better than his first three. I am correct on that. With any luck he would have gone to the NCAAs his last three years. Anyone who sees what happened two years ago as anything different than terrible luck is just not looking at things objectively.

I agree that it was terrible luck, but if that's a reason to keep someone from being fired, then Tubby shouldn't have been fired either.

Pitino was brought in to elevate the program. That's what you expect when you fire someone who just won a NCAA tournament game. But after 7 years, the program is in the same middle ground that Tubby had them in.

Spot on. I think that the AD is looking at the coach he has today as being more important than what the whole 7 years were- especially since Pitino was brought in so green.

I think Pitino is a good enough coach to get it done here. I think the bigger issue is whether or not he can overcome the perception of the negative crowd. At some point you can't sell the coach to the fans and if we don't make the tournament, Coyle may see that as the bigger issue.
You refuse to place any blame on Pitino. Now the problem is the “negative crowd”. Do you have any clue why there is negativity surrounding the program?

In another post you accused people of not looking at things objectively. You might want to give that a try yourself.

So really there are three identities in college basketball. You play lock down defense with a slow pace of play, getting talent because you're a blue blood, or getting talent because you're shady.

So you feel like the only way the Gophers can be successful is to play lock down d with a slow pace of play, the Virginia/Wisconsin models which you preach night and day on here.

I would still like to know what the identities of Baylor, Gonzaga, Kansas, San Diego St, Dayton, Duke, Maryland, Florida St, Penn St, and Kentucky are, all current top 10 teams, which differentiates them from the rest of the pack? It's not obvious to me when watching them, but it should be right? The only thing that's obvious is that they have better players than the teams they are beating.
Exactly, we do not get players like top 10 programs so we have to go about it a different way. We have actually out recruited UVA several times since 2012 but they found and developed players to play as a team. Before people freak out about their highly ranked 2016 class that ranking occurred way after they were offered and committed so the internet scouts could look good. When offerred , Jerome was 252, Hunter 100 and Guy 50. It does not have to be slow. Their pace of play on offense was near the slowest but within the numbers, just two less dribbles per possession moves them up 35 spots, taking 2 poor shots in the shot clock moves them up 40 more. Committing twice as many turnovers galfway into a possession moves them up 75 more and finally , if they Would just give up easy baskets in transition they would move up 50 more. They could play fast and get destroyed. You can can slow down a high end talented team but it is very difficult to speed up any team. Limiting possessions with high efficiency is a great way to compete. It takes enormous discipline, mental toughness and super high level skills. Sure, that class won a national title but they won a bunch of ACC titles, 30 win seasons with other classes. UW did the same thing minus the national title. If you prefer the game up and down, the Big 10 Is not the way. AAU has tons of careless basketball with no defense. If the object is to put the ball in the basket then it is a given that it would require you to invest at least as much time to stopping people from putting it in the basket. It takes tremendous skill and effort, communication and positioning to play great defense and you can control that easier than making shots. Plus you frustrate and wear out the other team. They are great models to follow. Tons of successful teams are now playing packline, tons are running sides offense. Show me another way that a consistent conference champion has been built at a not already elite program in a power 6 conference. Please show me, because in my world it is about joining the ranks of the elite without cheating ! It can be done here. It will take a once in a lifetime coach.

You refuse to place any blame on Pitino. Now the problem is the “negative crowd”. Do you have any clue why there is negativity surrounding the program?

In another post you accused people of not looking at things objectively. You might want to give that a try yourself.
That is not accurate. I don't think Pitino is in any way perfect. I think he is 38 and getting much better at what he does. I can support firing him WHEN THE SEASON IS DONE if the season ends with the team not making the NCAAs. I can also support staying the course if the AD thinks he is heading in the right direction.

This particular team is very close to being what it needed to be. They just have not shot well and I believe that the shooters are better than they have shown.

I would never imagined that Gabe would have shot 25% so far in Big Ten play from 3 point range - a kid that was a 41% shooter last year. He has taken 95 shots- if he had shot 40% as he is capable of, right there you are talking about probably 3 more wins with those 42 additional points. He is getting wide open shots and just not making. Willis is a good shooter and he is shooting 31% in Big Ten play. These guys are better than this.

As for me- my main interest is the team surprising all of the negative people and finishing on a hot streak. You main interest is seeing the coach fired. I like where I stand.

Go Gophers!

I agree that it was terrible luck, but if that's a reason to keep someone from being fired, then Tubby shouldn't have been fired either.

Pitino was brought in to elevate the program. That's what you expect when you fire someone who just won a NCAA tournament game. But after 7 years, the program is in the same middle ground that Tubby had them in.

I like where he is headed at 38 years old better than I like where Tubby was headed at 65. I agree with you, he has not gotten it done so far, by the numbers. At the end of the year- depending on how it finishes, perhaps he will and should be fired. Or perhaps not.

Is it actually middle ground. It averages worse than middle ground. I think of 6th or 7th place and .500 middle ground. Some of the base measures against the program history. I measure against the top 10 % of all power conference teams.

That is not accurate. I don't think Pitino is in any way perfect. I think he is 38 and getting much better at what he does. I can support firing him WHEN THE SEASON IS DONE if the season ends with the team not making the NCAAs. I can also support staying the course if the AD thinks he is heading in the right direction.

This particular team is very close to being what it needed to be. They just have not shot well and I believe that the shooters are better than they have shown.

I would never imagined that Gabe would have shot 25% so far in Big Ten play from 3 point range - a kid that was a 41% shooter last year. He has taken 95 shots- if he had shot 40% as he is capable of, right there you are talking about probably 3 more wins with those 42 additional points. He is getting wide open shots and just not making. Willis is a good shooter and he is shooting 31% in Big Ten play. These guys are better than this.

As for me- my main interest is the team surprising all of the negative people and finishing on a hot streak. You main interest is seeing the coach fired. I like where I stand.

Go Gophers!
My main interest is this team winning the rest of their games, getting a top 4 finish. I never hope for failure and being fired.

Go Gophers!
Hate to break it to you but my main interest is not Pitino’s job status.

Pretty sure everyone here would be a huge Pitino supporter if he already was closing on his second conference title and had a 80-44 conference record. The standard here is so low. Not coming from here it has always baffled me on what expectations are.

On this site it is- at least lately. That's what I was referring to - obviously.

On this site it is- at least lately. That's what I was referring to - obviously.
I know what to you are referring to

What I am interested in is a basketball program that isn’t 32 games under .500 in 6+ conference seasons. I am interested in a having program that does better than making the NCAA Tourney twice with only 1 tourney win over a 7 year period.

Last edited:

I must admit, after watching Iowa go on an 11-0 run to close out the game - particularly the two 10-second violations - my first reaction was that Pitino has to go. It was infuriating. But if that had not happened, I don’t think we would be having this discussion. Nor, is it likely that we would, if Kalscheur weren’t having a sophomore slump, or if Payton Willis was producing as anticipated. We’ve seen what happens when they are hitting their shots. And I begin to worry about what happens if we do make a coaching change. I see a lot of promise in both Tre Williams and Isaiah Ihnen. Why they haven’t played more this season is something of a mystery to me, and something that Pitino probably should be answerable for: practically given concerns about the short bench. But I see a young team with a lot of promise. And I would love to see what they could do with the addition of Jamal Mashburn, Jr. next year. That’s not likely to happen, however, if Pitino is fired. My understanding is that Jamal’s commitment was because of Pitino. I’ll turn 80 in a couple of months, so I’m not very excited about the prospect of starting over. I rather stick it out for another year with Pitino. But in the end, I’ll live with whatever Coyle decides.

I know what to you are referring to

What I am interested in is a basketball program that isn’t 32 games under .500 in 6+ conference seasons, or a program that makes the NCAA Tourney more than twice with only 1 tourney win over a 7 year period.
And as a fan your entitled to your expectations. Just like fans that think the Vkings had a great year or that the Gopher football team is a national power. Each fan decides for themselves what is terrible,mediocre, good, great. Just opinions. Facts are won loss records and championships.

And as a fan your entitled to your expectations. Just like fans that think the Vkings had a great year or that the Gopher football team is a national power. Each fan decides for themselves what is terrible,mediocre, good, great. Just opinions. Facts are won loss records and championships.
What are you even talking about?

The fact is over the last 6+ conference seasons the win loss record is 32 games under .500.

I must admit, after watching Iowa go on an 11-0 run to close out the game - particularly the two 10-second violations - my first reaction was that Pitino has to go. It was infuriating. But if that had not happened, I don’t think we would be having this discussion. Nor, is it likely that we would, if Kalscheur weren’t having a sophomore slump, or if Payton Willis was producing as anticipated. We’ve seen what happens when they are hitting their shots. And I begin to worry about what happens if we do make a coaching change. I see a lot of promise in both Tre Williams and Isaiah Ihnen. Why they haven’t played more this season is something of a mystery to me, and something that Pitino probably should be answerable for: practically given concerns about the short bench. But I see a young team with a lot of promise. And I would love to see what they could do with the addition of Jamal Mashburn, Jr. next year. That’s not likely to happen, however, if Pitino is fired. My understanding is that Jamal’s commitment was because of Pitino. I’ll turn 80 in a couple of months, so I’m not very excited about the prospect of starting over. I rather stick it out for another year with Pitino. But in the end, I’ll live with whatever Coyle decides.

Through 24 games, the Gophers are 11th in the Big Ten in field goal percentage (41.8 percent) and three-point percentage (31.9 percent). Nationally, they’re 269th in field goal percentage, 255th in three-point percentage and 219th in scoring.

That's hideous beyond comprehension. We are what we are! We can't shoot! Nothing new here!

Go Gophers!
I think you can look at this two ways. You’re looking at it like if Gabe were shooting better, this team would be better (which is obviously true). However, I would argue the other way to look at this is that Pitino himself has said that the philosophy this year was to be more perimeter oriented, which requires shooters. From what I’ve seen of Willis, Demir, Williams, etc. is that they are not “pure shooters” like Gabe. Pitino doesn’t have enough shooting talent to be perimeter oriented, and when your one pure shooter is in a season long slump, that has large implications. I would say this is indicative of his entire tenure- lack of depth and identity. Williams and Ihnen are long and could be competent slashers. But we haven’t seen enough of that. Williams isn’t a great 3 shooter. At least Ihnen’s stroke looks good. But pinning everything on the shooting abilities of Gabe just creates an unsustainable house of cards.

Exactly, we do not get players like top 10 programs so we have to go about it a different way. We have actually out recruited UVA several times since 2012 but they found and developed players to play as a team. Before people freak out about their highly ranked 2016 class that ranking occurred way after they were offered and committed so the internet scouts could look good. When offerred , Jerome was 252, Hunter 100 and Guy 50. It does not have to be slow. Their pace of play on offense was near the slowest but within the numbers, just two less dribbles per possession moves them up 35 spots, taking 2 poor shots in the shot clock moves them up 40 more. Committing twice as many turnovers galfway into a possession moves them up 75 more and finally , if they Would just give up easy baskets in transition they would move up 50 more. They could play fast and get destroyed. You can can slow down a high end talented team but it is very difficult to speed up any team. Limiting possessions with high efficiency is a great way to compete. It takes enormous discipline, mental toughness and super high level skills. Sure, that class won a national title but they won a bunch of ACC titles, 30 win seasons with other classes. UW did the same thing minus the national title. If you prefer the game up and down, the Big 10 Is not the way. AAU has tons of careless basketball with no defense. If the object is to put the ball in the basket then it is a given that it would require you to invest at least as much time to stopping people from putting it in the basket. It takes tremendous skill and effort, communication and positioning to play great defense and you can control that easier than making shots. Plus you frustrate and wear out the other team. They are great models to follow. Tons of successful teams are now playing packline, tons are running sides offense. Show me another way that a consistent conference champion has been built at a not already elite program in a power 6 conference. Please show me, because in my world it is about joining the ranks of the elite without cheating ! It can be done here. It will take a once in a lifetime coach.

I agree, it can be done here. I just don't agree that the Wisconsin/Virginia model is the way to go. Pitino has had a few teams that could have been close, but then bad luck got in the way. Even this season, how much better would this team be if they had Coffey back and a healthy Eric Curry? What if they had Carr last year? They could have had some B1G title contending teams, but injuries, suspensions, and leaving early for the NBA draft have limited success. Pretty amazing considering they don't have an 'identity' to recruit to.

That's a part of the gig and Pitino should have developed more depth by now, that's the frustration. If Oturu leaves, they'll likely be in a similar situation again next season.

There's plenty of talent in MN, and Pitino has proved they can bring in talent from elsewhere. College basketball isn't like college football where nearly everyone has an easily identifiable 'identity'. Recruit and develop talent and depth that plays fundamental basketball, and you're going to have a pretty good team. Playing the grind it out, snails pace basketball is not the only way to win. The vast majority of teams don't play that way and can win at a high level.

I've long been a supporter of Richard Pitino, and I still think it was the right move to fire Tubby. But I've seen enough of the Pitino era. Having this poor of a shooting team is unacceptable. Continuing to start Coffey at PG is unacceptable. There is some good, young talent on this team starting with Oturu, and the roster is in better shape going forward than it was when Pitino took over. But it's time to move on. 6 years is enough for a college basketball coach to show more success than Pitino has. Hire Nate Oats or TJ Otzelberger.

Worst in game coach I've ever had the displeasure of viewing. He's actually gotten worse over the course of his tenure, as the close scoring game losses mount. His failure to recruit Minnesota's top players, and inability to win (or even compete) on the road in big ten play, some how got him his most recent extension. He should be moved out before the end of this season.

Worst in game coach I've ever had the displeasure of viewing. He's actually gotten worse over the course of his tenure, as the close scoring game losses mount. His failure to recruit Minnesota's top players, and inability to win (or even compete) on the road in big ten play, some how got him his most recent extension. He should be moved out before the end of this season.

That's 100% not going to happen. There is literally no upside to firing a college coach in the middle of a competitive season. Other coaches aren't going to leave their teams until after the season is over.

Gopher BB teams during Pitino's tenure feels like the Gopher's football teams during most of Mason's years and Brewster's early years; where we're always hoping they'd be good enough to make a decent bowl game but it never really happened. It's much easier to turn around a college basketball program than a FB, so with the right coach (which I believe they will get) it won't take long to begin performing beyond Pitino's teams have performed. Time to move on to another coach.

He gets a "reset year" in year 7?? After having gone 9-11 in the B1G last year, winning his one and only NCAA Tournament game??

People, raise your expectations. If the fan base continues to accept this, it's all we will ever get

I"m not saying he "gets a reset year". I'm saying every program will have its ebbs and flows based on roster competition. As much as we all want a balanced roster with three players in each class and every roster spot gets filled by Labor Day with four/five star Minnesota kids, it isn't really reality for college athletics. Transfers, early departures, injuries, and graduations lead to unbalanced classes and should lead to different expectations year to year.

I'm not trying to make an excuse for Pitino here. I'm just saying that I'm far more disappointed in his 9-11 finish last year than I am in whatever he finishes this year based on the youth and inexperience of this roster.

You asked what could be cited as progress. I would argue year seven and year three are very similar in roster make-up but vastly different in results. As bga1 said in another post, his last 4 years have been much better than his first three. Is it good enough? Perhaps not. We can all make our own determination. I just think the evaluation should be done not based on some weird "year seven" litmus test but on the trajectory of the program moving forward.

I agree, it can be done here. I just don't agree that the Wisconsin/Virginia model is the way to go. Pitino has had a few teams that could have been close, but then bad luck got in the way. Even this season, how much better would this team be if they had Coffey back and a healthy Eric Curry? What if they had Carr last year? They could have had some B1G title contending teams, but injuries, suspensions, and leaving early for the NBA draft have limited success. Pretty amazing considering they don't have an 'identity' to recruit to.

That's a part of the gig and Pitino should have developed more depth by now, that's the frustration. If Oturu leaves, they'll likely be in a similar situation again next season.

There's plenty of talent in MN, and Pitino has proved they can bring in talent from elsewhere. College basketball isn't like college football where nearly everyone has an easily identifiable 'identity'. Recruit and develop talent and depth that plays fundamental basketball, and you're going to have a pretty good team. Playing the grind it out, snails pace basketball is not the only way to win. The vast majority of teams don't play that way and can win at a high level.
I will admit that I don’t have a b-ball mind, Indidnt play the sport growing up or in high school.

But that said, here is a layman guess at something: there has to be a dimension of being a head coach where you recognize who is having a good night or a bad night, on both teams, and you try to take advantage of that with matchups, schemes, plays, etc. You recognize the flow of the game and what’s happening. You recognize what the other team is trying to do to you.

My guess is that Pitino is weak in this dimension. I think he’s strong, or strong enough, in the rest. If he had his perfect roster all healthy and available -
Murphy, Oturu, Coffey, healthy Curry, Carr, etc - sure, he could win big. But he can’t deal with/figure out what to do when it doesn’t work out perfectly, which it clearly hasn’t here most of the time.

My guess is that a guy like Craig Smith has figured it out. He can see things on the court and in his players that perhaps they don’t see in the moment. Etc.

This is mostly guessing though.

I"m not saying he "gets a reset year". I'm saying every program will have its ebbs and flows based on roster competition. As much as we all want a balanced roster with three players in each class and every roster spot gets filled by Labor Day with four/five star Minnesota kids, it isn't really reality for college athletics. Transfers, early departures, injuries, and graduations lead to unbalanced classes and should lead to different expectations year to year.

I'm not trying to make an excuse for Pitino here. I'm just saying that I'm far more disappointed in his 9-11 finish last year than I am in whatever he finishes this year based on the youth and inexperience of this roster.

You asked what could be cited as progress. I would argue year seven and year three are very similar in roster make-up but vastly different in results. As bga1 said in another post, his last 4 years have been much better than his first three. Is it good enough? Perhaps not. We can all make our own determination. I just think the evaluation should be done not based on some weird "year seven" litmus test but on the trajectory of the program moving forward.
How are the last 4 "much Better than the first 3" 42% is not very good.

Call it snails pace if you want, the difference between 353 and fastest is 4 seconds plus but explained largely by how long those programs defend, take good shots and limit turnovers. The last part is 1.5 seconds on a outlet pass and secondary break which happens to be a low efficiency play for the athletes those teams get. Show me a non blue blood that broke through in their conference, a power conference to sustain championship level play that results in actual championships not near .500 occasionally that is littered with excuses on what might have been. Every single program is challenged by a plethora of injuries, flu, break ups, mental health, early NBA departures. Hell Iowa came in here down 3 players and won. Snails pace needs to be examined in reality of understanding. Wins, championships. Show me the coaches who came into a conference at a mediocre program that knocked off the elite programs in a sustainable way by playing a way you prefer. Unless you get athletes like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky your best not to play them at their game. The research on that is definitive. Heck, our record here since 2013 when giving up 72 points is deplorable because we gave up 72 too many times. We simply must win more games on nights we shoot below average. That is why the Iowa games stings less for me because our defense actually gave us a chance.

I vacillate on Pitino daily. Some days I'm telling myself he's the best option right now and Curry being perennially hurt, Carr not being allowed to play last year, etc... are all bad breaks that could have changed my opinion of his tenure. I also give him credit for bringing in kids like Mason, Murphy, Coffey, Oturu, Carr as a sign that he understands talent.

Then on my darker days I look at his record, remember Konate/Deidhiou, remember the miss on IW, look at this team on a constant rotation from having no good big men, to having no point guard, to now having no shooting guard/small forward, and next year looks like the wheel turns back to having no big men (assuming Oturu opts for the draft).

I wouldn't fire him after this year to just fire him, but if Coyle isn't at least evaluating his options, I'd have to question his sanity.

Top Bottom