I've Seen Enough

I'm not following this thread but I'll throw this out there.

There's a good chance Ryan Saunders will be available!
Saunders and Pitino seem like they’re good friends. I wonder if there’s any chance if Saunders is looking for a job if he’d consider teaming up with Pitino as an assistant coach? As I think about it though: it might not help much ?

If Coyle is doing this right he has a short list of 2 or 3, and if he’s sure he can get one based on feelers,.......pull the trigger.

the remaining schedule is moderately soft, but I have no faith in Pitino‘s ability to rally the squad.
Oturu will most likely turn pro, but a bad finish by the team may reverse that.

If Coyle is doing this right he has a short list of 2 or 3, and if he’s sure he can get one based on feelers,.......pull the trigger.

the remaining schedule is moderately soft, but I have no faith in Pitino‘s ability to rally the squad.

Kinda like last year when they finished the season 6-1 in the last 7 games and beat a top 10 Purdue team twice(an elite 8 team that had Virgina beat, to go to the final 4). I hear ya... no confidence in Pitino's ability.

Kinda like last year when they finished the season 6-1 in the last 7 games and beat a top 10 Purdue team twice(an elite 8 team that had Virgina beat, to go to the final 4). I hear ya... no confidence in Pitino's ability.
[/QUOTElast years formula included Murphy, Coffey, and McBrayer....all vets.

?

By 6-1 he meant 3-7.
They did go on a streak winning 5 of 6 to get in the tournament. 2 of their last three conference games and then the first two games of the BTT.

I hope so. Its time to move in a new direction. I hate to change coaches but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

No.... I didn't.

Last 4 regular season games and 2 in the B10 tournament... lost to MSU then beat LV...lost to MSU

Who's going to play the part of Amir Coffey?

Over 23 ppg, 32 against Purdue, played 39 minutes or more in six of the last seven.

Over 23 ppg, 32 against Purdue, played 39 minutes or more in six of the last seven.
That was not the question I was answering.

we have players that can step up

No.... I didn't.

Last 4 regular season games and 2 in the B10 tournament... lost to MSU then beat LV...lost to MSU
lol. How is that 6-1?

Their last 7 games, including regular season, B1G tournament, and NCAA, they were 4-3.

There's no 6-1 run anywhere in there, no matter your selective end points.

They did go on a streak winning 5 of 6 to get in the tournament. 2 of their last three conference games and then the first two games of the BTT.
You mean 4 of 5. Math is hard.

lol. How is that 6-1?

Their last 7 games, including regular season, B1G tournament, and NCAA, they were 4-3.

There's no 6-1 run anywhere in there, no matter your selective end points.
Yes, finished the season 5-3. Finished regular season 3-7.

I'll support Pitino now and if he remains but continue to question when this team will turn the corner and make a tourney run. 7 years in and I don't see it on the horizon. He has recruited guys that are good not great. I wouldn't say I am disappointed in his recruiting but haven't seen guys gel or improve greatly (other than Oturo) to push this team over the bubble hump. Whatever Coyle feels is best I guess but wouldn't be completely disappointed if he makes a change.

No.... I didn't.

If one wants to to state something as fact, one needs to make sure what they're saying is, indeed, fact.

At no point in the second half of the season (defined as the final 10 Big Ten games + Big Ten Tournament & NCAA Tournament) did the Gophers ever win 6 games in a 7-game stretch. The best stretch was 4 of 5 (final 3 regular season + first 2 of BTT).

Feb. 3: @ Purdue L
Feb. 6: Wisconsin L
Feb. 9: @ Michigan State L
Feb. 13: @ Nebraska L
Feb. 16: Indiana W
Feb. 21: Michigan L
Feb. 24: @ Rutgers L
Feb. 28: @ Northwestern W
March 5: Purdue W
March 8: @ Maryland L
March 14: vs. Penn State W
March 15: vs. Purdue W

March 16: vs. Michigan L
March 21: vs. Louisville W
March 23: vs. Michigan State L

Last 7 Overall: 4-3
Last 7 Excluding NCAA Tournament: 4-3
Last 7 Excluding NCAA Tournament & Big Ten Tournament: 3-4

Best Stretch: 4 of 5 (highlighted above), which also is not 6 of 7

The answer to this question is obvious, but Carr and Oturu have both proven they can have huge games.

They won 8 of their last 9 in the 2016-2017 season leading up to the conference tournament -- the high point of the Pitino tenure.

Call it snails pace if you want, the difference between 353 and fastest is 4 seconds plus but explained largely by how long those programs defend, take good shots and limit turnovers. The last part is 1.5 seconds on a outlet pass and secondary break which happens to be a low efficiency play for the athletes those teams get. Show me a non blue blood that broke through in their conference, a power conference to sustain championship level play that results in actual championships not near .500 occasionally that is littered with excuses on what might have been. Every single program is challenged by a plethora of injuries, flu, break ups, mental health, early NBA departures. Hell Iowa came in here down 3 players and won. Snails pace needs to be examined in reality of understanding. Wins, championships. Show me the coaches who came into a conference at a mediocre program that knocked off the elite programs in a sustainable way by playing a way you prefer. Unless you get athletes like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky your best not to play them at their game. The research on that is definitive. Heck, our record here since 2013 when giving up 72 points is deplorable because we gave up 72 too many times. We simply must win more games on nights we shoot below average. That is why the Iowa games stings less for me because our defense actually gave us a chance.

72 points is too many and I'm not advocating for them to play up temp, no defense type basketball either. In the B1G you have Wisconsin on one extreme, then you have Iowa on the other. The vast majority of teams fall in the middle ground I'm talking about. Those teams win at a high level as well.

Yes, the blue bloods usually get the best players but Minnesota can land that type of player with how much talent is in this state. If the Gophers were a consistent NCAA tournament team every year, they would likely keep more high end guys home. They don't have to play Wisconsin ball to do that. There's a reason most of the top MN guys don't go to Wisconsin either.

As to answer your question, that depends on what you consider a blue blood. I don't consider any B1G team a true blue blood, Michigan St is the closest, or Indiana if you go way back. You have Purdue, Michigan, Maryland, Illinois, and Ohio St who have all won at a high level in over the last 20 years.

Strictly a guess on my part, but given Coyle's track record, he does not appear to like a long-drawn out coaching search with committees, etc.

So, if Coyle decides to make a change, I suspect he will have been working back-channels to identify candidates long before any change is announced.

if it happens, I'll bet it follows the Fleck pattern: Coyle announces that current coach is being dismissed. within a week, the new coach is announced.

I had been a huge gopher hoops fan for the last 35 years but have mostly checked out the last couple years. I’ve gone to 2 bball games this year but admittedly felt while there it wasn’t worth the time and those both were games they won, Gopher basketball is missing the energy. It is missing any chance to complete on a national level other than the token appearance in the big show every 4-5 years and dont see that changing w Pitino and its not enough. Im all in on football and couldn’t be more excited for this season.

Why do some people think Saunders is the answer?

72 points is too many and I'm not advocating for them to play up temp, no defense type basketball either. In the B1G you have Wisconsin on one extreme, then you have Iowa on the other. The vast majority of teams fall in the middle ground I'm talking about. Those teams win at a high level as well.

Yes, the blue bloods usually get the best players but Minnesota can land that type of player with how much talent is in this state. If the Gophers were a consistent NCAA tournament team every year, they would likely keep more high end guys home. They don't have to play Wisconsin ball to do that. There's a reason most of the top MN guys don't go to Wisconsin either.

As to answer your question, that depends on what you consider a blue blood. I don't consider any B1G team a true blue blood, Michigan St is the closest, or Indiana if you go way back. You have Purdue, Michigan, Maryland, Illinois, and Ohio St who have all won at a high level in over the last 20 years.
Michigan state is the only one that has out performed uw IN THE LAST 15 YEARS. Check out the pace of others. who has won the conference and been to a final 4 that built themselves up from mediocre to knock off those at the top. If Iowa is the other end of the spectrum they have been mediocre compared to UW. No conference title, no final 4, no national title, pretty ho hum record.

They finished the regular season last year 3-7.
The glass is always half empty with you. Be a little positive. They made a nice run to get it in. That's a fact.

Top Bottom