It's time to grant Joe Maturi his release - New AD is Tony Dungy!

all I have said is that most University system tend to lean left---Minnesota included. I don't think that is in too much dispute.......

S19---because the taxes I pay --some goes to the University and I expect more from the U of M. BTW, I don't talk about my political views.

Perhaps not. But you certainly about other people's political beliefs a lot.

The culture at the University is much more left than the general poulation, might be one reason for the purvasive acceptance of mediocraty.
That said, this is a basketball chat room not politics. I really don't give a rats Ass about your political views and dont expect you to care about mine.

S19---because the taxes I pay --some goes to the University and I expect more from the U of M. BTW, I don't talk about my political views.

I prefer that you address me by my full name, Station 19....or is it Station 20.....now I'm confused.

How do you keep them straight?

Another example of this attitude exists in the High School league. They have ruined what used to be a great basketball and Hockey tournament. Again, set it up so it so diluted that everyone is a winner.But they ruined a great event in the process... this same attitude exists within the Athletic dept of the U. It is cultural and will not change until the culture changes and people expect more from our leadersip.What is wrong with being a winner?

Another example of this attitude exists in the High School league. They have ruined what used to be a great basketball and Hockey tournament. Again, set it up so it so diluted that everyone is a winner.But they ruined a great event in the process... this same attitude exists within the Athletic dept of the U. It is cultural and will not change until the culture changes and people expect more from our leadersip.What is wrong with being a winner?

Absolutely nothing. But that's not the issue. The issue is how you go about becoming a winner. You have already volunteered that the U needs to resort to some shortcuts and look the other way on things in order to become like Florida, Ohio State, USC and, ahem, Wisconsin. People here want to win, but not do it in a way that compromises ethical concerns. You want to go the other direction and are apparently not concerned ethics in any way. That's the difference, not whether we want to win or lose.

Ben, jon, millions2spare, missedlayup, and any other name you want to go by...Can you please, oh please, just shut up and take your meds?

You pi$$ed everyone off on the old Strib Blogs. You pi$$ed everone off on trish's blog. You are succeeding in pi$$ing everyone off here too. You are consistent.

Go Gophers!

Isn't it a bit ironic that millions2spare cites Wisconsin as a program to emulate, yet Bo Ryan doesn't want anything to do with kids like Royce White?

If you would change the spelling of the last word in your post it would be more fitting of your demeanor.

No one is taking about short cuts, or being unethical.It is about creating an environemnt and commitment to winning like they did at Wisconsin. Are Texas,Florida,OSU etc unethical? Are they better or worse Achedemic schools? Why do you think you need short cuts to win? That is the point...there is nothing wrong with a University having a stated position that they want to be a Great University in all areas, including Athletics. Maturi could have ethically allowed both White and Mabwke to play. He choose not to. And I think he caused a lot of the circus and mis-handled the situation to the detrament of the kids and the school. MY OPINION.

No one is taking about short cuts, or being unethical.It is about creating an environemnt and commitment to winning like they did at Wisconsin. Are Texas,Florida,OSU etc unethical? Are they better or worse Achedemic schools? Why do you think you need short cuts to win? That is the point...there is nothing wrong with a University having a stated position that they want to be a Great University in all areas, including Athletics. Maturi could have ethically allowed both White and Mabwke to play. He choose not to. And I think he caused a lot of the circus and mis-handled the situation to the detrament of the kids and the school. MY OPINION.

I think we have heard YOUR OPINION a million times. Pun intended.

Dr DOn, please put me on your ignor list. help yourself for a change.

Why, Ben... You have been exposed and now ask me to ignore you? It's more fun watching you make an a$$ of yourself.

Go jon, Go Ben, Go m2s, Go ml. :)

Go Gophers!!!

Tony Dungy has the mind of a champion...why couldn't he be a good AD...why is Minnesota afraid to contact a guy like this...when Maturi is obvioulsy too weak to run this program...He hired Tubby..which was great of him, but know he's messing with the whole system..he needs to go...Why not contact Dungy... a former U of M alumni...lets face it...it's a stress free job at this point...our expectations couldn't be any lower...but Dungy doesn't mind working under pressure either...He would make the right moves for this University...get rid of Brewster...hire a football coach who he can evaluate as being top notch...He won't mess with the Tubby Smith system...Tubby will have free reign of the team...without having to worry so much about the academic issues.

You may very well be correct regarding Maturi; we'll honestly probably never know. But you youself said you didn't care about the moral development of the athletes, that you didn't care about their academics and that all you wanted was to win basketball games. That screams shortcut. If you are actually advocating both being good citizens and good athletes, then I agree with you. However, your previous statements do not reflect this view. All that's ever said is "win, win, win, forget about the rest, win, win, and win. Higher standards mean win, win, win."

And don't for one second think that each of those schools that you cited as beacons of athletic success (Florida, USC, Ohio State and the rest for that matter) don't have some really nasty skeletons in their respective closets. Trust me, they do. In fact, it appears USC is about to get nailed for some of theirs.

So in closing, let me be frank: I couldn't care less about what goes on each of those schools. If you think that's what we should be, than I invite you to start cheering for those schools and their teams. If not, then stop talking about them like they are these bastions of doing things the right way. There is plenty of evidence to the contrary on each of them I assure you.

Mrj, thank you. We are not that far away. Let me clairify. I am advocating that if we had the right leadership, with the commitment to winning --I PERSONALLY would not have to care about a kids moral development (that is what the coaches and councilors are for) or Achademics(That is what NCAA rules and Studen Athletics course offerrings are for). I would have confidence that our Program, policies, and leadership would support a Commitment made to winning. To repeat, Wisconsin made this a focus in the ealy 1990's and are reaping the benfits with wins and financially are solid. I also think in a odd way, it even adds to their standing as a University. We have problems at our Univerity like all the others and we are losing! What does that tell you?

Winning can be done the right way.

Tony Dungy has the mind of a champion...why couldn't he be a good AD...why is Minnesota afraid to contact a guy like this...when Maturi is obvioulsy too weak to run this program...He hired Tubby..which was great of him, but know he's messing with the whole system..he needs to go...Why not contact Dungy... a former U of M alumni...lets face it...it's a stress free job at this point...our expectations couldn't be any lower...but Dungy doesn't mind working under pressure either...He would make the right moves for this University...get rid of Brewster...hire a football coach who he can evaluate as being top notch...He won't mess with the Tubby Smith system...Tubby will have free reign of the team...without having to worry so much about the academic issues.

Tongy Dungy never constructed a winning team. How does he know about winning?

plinnus.........what are you talking about.? Dungy would be a huge upgrade.
I am not sure he is interested....maybe Tubby for AD?

Mrj, thank you. We are not that far away. Let me clairify. I am advocating that if we had the right leadership, with the commitment to winning --I PERSONALLY would not have to care about a kids moral development (that is what the coaches and councilors are for) or Achademics(That is what NCAA rules and Studen Athletics course offerrings are for). I would have confidence that our Program, policies, and leadership would support a Commitment made to winning. To repeat, Wisconsin made this a focus in the ealy 1990's and are reaping the benfits with wins and financially are solid. I also think in a odd way, it even adds to their standing as a University. We have problems at our Univerity like all the others and we are losing! What does that tell you?

Winning can be done the right way.

Okay, that makes more sense. It's a fine line that I wasn't able to discern earlier. Having said that, I for one DO expect us to do well, which is why I get so upset with efforts and performances like we had against Ohio State. And I agree that having the right leadership in place is a key to building a winning all-around athletic program. But I kind of like the fact that we have successful teams in other sports (track and field, women's hockey ranked #1, women's volleyball being in the Final Four, baseball has a proud history and returns a lot of key players off a 40-19 team from last year). Is everything just peachy? Not at all. And as I've mentioned, I also have my issues with Maturi. But I'm willing to stay the course...for now. That may change in the future however.

he constructed Tampa's superbowl team...all gruden had to do was show up to practice and watch the boys play...plus he won a superbowl at Indy...uhh that's constructing a winning team if you ask me.

he constructed Tampa's superbowl team...all gruden had to do was show up to practice and watch the boys play...plus he won a superbowl at Indy...uhh that's constructing a winning team if you ask me.

Read the post more carefully:clap:

You are right it was a misspelling that I did not catch. So what? I'm a bad speller. Does that dismiss my point in your elitist mind?

I think you are past the point where spelling matters.

Yeah, but could he construct a winning athletic department? I have no idea and neither does anybody else.

he constructed Tampa's superbowl team...a

No, he didn't. The backbone of Tampa's defense was put into place prior to Dungy's arrival. John Lynch was drafted in '93 and Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks were drafted in '95.

WOW!!!
Dr. Don Kevorkian - Sent on a schizophrenic journey where he invented a few new friends in the land of make believe. Chances are good he will see Bigfoot soon eating from the bird feeder at the home.
Section 201 - All he can say is +1, truly a sign of an intellectual dwarf
Station 19 - Only proves he sends his messages from Station 19 at about 1am, sitting alone in the corner just wishing a girl would talk to him
FreshTrout - Changed his moniker to RottenTrout because it is more accurate after he realized the weakness of his posts
GopherGuy05- Clearly hit his peak while talking about the genitals of the Administrators in this room. Digressed with his talk about banning those who dare to disagree with him.
Williams Areana Guy - real tough behind a computer screen
Monzy - way too high strung and uptight. But at least he uses his real name. I still like Monzy, it makes him seem like he is one of the guys!

WOW!!!
Dr. Don Kevorkian - Sent on a schizophrenic journey where he invented a few new friends in the land of make believe. Chances are good he will see Bigfoot soon eating from the bird feeder at the home.
Section 201 - All he can say is +1, truly a sign of an intellectual dwarf
Station 19 - Only proves he sends his messages from Station 19 at about 1am, sitting alone in the corner just wishing a girl would talk to him
FreshTrout - Changed his moniker to RottenTrout because it is more accurate after he realized the weakness of his posts
GopherGuy05- Clearly hit his peak while talking about the genitals of the Administrators in this room. Digressed with his talk about banning those who dare to disagree with him.
Williams Areana Guy - real tough behind a computer screen
Monzy - way too high strung and uptight. But at least he uses his real name. I still like Monzy, it makes him seem like he is one of the guys!

For some reason, I sense an epic flamefest about to take place.....hmmmmm....

MRJ...Nah, not gonna happen. m2s/ml/jon/Ben is too busy trying to decide who to attack next to be taken seriously. But remember, he is the one who always wants to just talk hoops. :confused: He's a hoot. :)

Top Bottom