It's time to grant Joe Maturi his release - New AD is Tony Dungy!

And his actions after the crime.

When you really think about it, Mbakwe is pretty goddamn guilty.

You may be right in the end, but not until proven so in a court of law. He is not held in jail, so he should be allowed to play as long as he makes his court dates.

Please don't indulge me in your pathetic responses you social midget. You act as though I should bow down to having a logical discussion with you. Sorry I have better people to discuss Gopher Hoops with then you. I was just hoping to engage you on a descent level, but it appears you are not capable.
Thanks, you just validated my point.

BTW, you mean "decent." First time might be a typo -- twice in the same post simply equates to misspelling : "I was just trying to engage your descent side "

sorry Rick...you and the lefty wcco crowd who control the University from the Pres to the AD are the reason this program is in free fall.........hate to tell you but get used to the NIT and to the Motor City Bowl......Knock yourself out!..Know that you can go watch the Jonny's play the Tommy's and High School if you want to see that product. We need another D1 Basketball school here to provide an outlet for those of us who do want to Win and compete for a National Title.

Maturi needs to go. He's a piss-poor AD. He's butchered the Royce and Mbakwe situations. He acts like they committed murder. UCLA allowed Dragovic to play with a felony charge and I don't hear a peep. I'm sick of the holier than though attitude. They need a REAL AD up there that knows what it takes to win and win big in the athletic programs.

BS. Royce White butchered his own situation. He didn't need any help from Maturi. And so what if other programs put winning above everything else? That doesn't make it right. Some of us have high regards for the University of Minnesota as an institution. It goes beyond the W-L record of the football and basketball team and we would just as soon not go for the win at all costs tactics that other schools employ.

Couldn't disagree more. The prosecutor's office is still continuing with the prosecution. The court has found probable cause. The defense has been unsuccessful in having the case dismissed. Until it's adjudicated, I think Maturi has no other real option. If Maturi wanted to throw him under the bus, Mbakwe wouldn't be suspended from the team -- he'd essentially be gone.

BTW, IMO whatever UCLA decides to do is beside the point. You're essentially using the same kind of rationale that kids use with their parents: "other parents let their kids (fill in the blank here)"

God save us from the Kentucky sports mentality of Faustian compacts (viz a viz: Gillispie and Calipari).

Mr. Mons. Although I disagree with your point, I respect it and it does throw some needed light on the subject and will cause me to think about it. I think the notion of "probable cause" is a fair point and one that does set a standard by which a university can act upon, short of getting a conviction.

BS. Royce White butchered his own situation. He didn't need any help from Maturi. And so what if other programs put winning above everything else? That doesn't make it right. Some of us have high regards for the University of Minnesota as an institution. It goes beyond the W-L record of the football and basketball team and we would just as soon not go for the win at all costs tactics that other schools employ.

No offense but why do you put the U of MN on a pedestal for anything? You sure stand up and complain when they allow thug kids to play hoops but you won't stand up when they let biased profs teach our kids false doctrine? Where are your standards?

Hey Ron Johnson...then why Hire a tubby smith? You can save a ton of money and
bring in a lot lessor talent.....find the Tim Brewster of basketball!!.....You are comfortable with medicrity. Thats fine, however, there is a group of people who do want to WIN! Not at all costs--BUT TO WIN!........

as i said earlier...go watch the Johnnys play the Gusties!

I don't think anyone on here believes we should win at all costs, if that includes cheating, stealing, etc. We just draw the line at different places.

Hey Ron Johnson...then why Hire a tubby smith? You can save a ton of money and
bring in a lot lessor talent.....find the Tim Brewster of basketball!!.....You are comfortable with medicrity. Thats fine, however, there is a group of people who do want to WIN! Not at all costs--BUT TO WIN!........

as i said earlier...go watch the Johnnys play the Gusties!

Tubby Simth was brought in because he can win and do it the right way. Hence he didn't let Royce White run all over him.

Thanks, you just validated my point.

BTW, you mean "decent." First time might be a typo -- twice in the same post simply equates to misspelling : "I was just trying to engage your descent side "

You are right it was a misspelling that I did not catch. So what? I'm a bad speller. Does that dismiss my point in your elitist mind?

No offense but why do you put the U of MN on a pedestal for anything? You sure stand up and complain when they allow thug kids to play hoops but you won't stand up when they let biased profs teach our kids false doctrine? Where are your standards?

Okay Rush.

sorry Rick...you and the lefty wcco crowd who control the University from the Pres to the AD are the reason this program is in free fall.
Good lord. Whatever you do, don't tell bga that WCCO is a "lefty crowd." He'll never veer from The Patriot to listen to any games.

But you're right about one thing: Dr Bruininks and Mr Maturi were appointed as a result of a vast conspiracy by those of us in control. Be careful. Be very, very careful. Trust no one. Use disposable cell phones (or, better yet, tin cans on a string). Move around and use public computers (or, better yet, the telegraph). Be leery of low-flying helicopters or dirigibles. (you probably have to look that reference up but watch out, we track Wikipedia and Google searches)

Und remember ziss: ve haff our vays of keeping tabs on you. Our friends? Ve keep close. Und our enemies? Ve keep closer! No -- do NOT turn around. Sleep mit von eye open!

I want to see us win. We are a big ten university, Maturi acts like we are a high school.

without comit from the TOP down this athletic dept will NEVER be anything but average. For some crazy reason, this university has the attitude that there is something WRONG and evil about winning. Like to havea winning attitude means you ahve to chaet. That is far from the truth. But you do have to lead and take some risk. Wisconsin used to have that same approach but they changed their sports culture. Normally it is the LEFT leaners who control university systems and have that attitude that...OMG if someone wins then that means someone has to lose too..............we can't have that. I have lost respect for Joel matury and am on record saying he should be held accountable. But without a culture change at the very top I am not sure what good it will really do. We had Mark Youdoff....ooops he went to texas!...yikes....god forbid we try to win like texas!....

Are you a professor at the great U of MN? It is not a surprise you are a left winger. You are willing to criticize athletic standards but you won't hold the academic side to the same ethical standards.

Buddy, you don't know a damn thing about me or my political views. The only thing I know about you is that you can't spell and that your reasoning and logic are severely flawed. I won't bother to make any assumptions.

Good lord. Whatever you do, don't tell bga that WCCO is a "lefty crowd." He'll never veer from The Patriot to listen to any games.

But you're right about one thing: Dr Bruininks and Mr Maturi were appointed as a result of a vast conspiracy by those of us in control. Be careful. Be very, very careful. Trust no one. Use disposable cell phones (or, better yet, tin cans on a string). Move around and use public computers (or, better yet, the telegraph). Be leery of low-flying helicopters or dirigibles. (you probably have to look that reference up but watch out, we track Wikipedia and Google searches)

Und remember ziss: ve haff our vays of keeping tabs on you. Our friends? Ve keep close. Und our enemies? Ve keep closer! No -- do NOT turn around. Sleep mit von eye open!

Sorry Monsy but the only black helicopter people I have run into lately are the senior members on here who think a conspiracy exists within the "trolls" to take over this room and have been looking for ways to "catch" us. These are your friends in here, maybe some of them are even your offspring, who knows. I wonder who you think blew up the World Trade Center?

Buddy, you don't know a damn thing about me or my political views. The only thing I know about you is that you can't spell and that your reasoning and logic are severely flawed. I won't bother to make any assumptions.

Why do you hold the U of MN, or any university up on pedestal?

I will take a lot of heat for this post especially from the "Good Neighbor" crowd
who seem to be pervasive on this board. You all place a premium on sportsmanship and representing the University (with your arrogant standards) as the number one criteria. You also have this false "lefty loony" everyone is a winner mentality, trying to please everyone and offend no-one and look at every loss as a moral victory! To contrast, there are a group of people, although in the minority at the UofM, who do want to win, win with integrity, and expect to win! Wisconsin has this approach for example from the presidents office down! People with this winners attitude are justifiably angry with habitual losing and those who are in positions of LEADERSHIP are held accountable.

In my opinion, this Athletic department is on a free fall. Joe Maturi can hold people such as Trevor Mawbwke and Royce White accountable for accusations, ignoring the rule of law that says "innocent until proven guilty". In my opinion, it is time that the board of regents and fans hold Joe Maturi accountable for a standard more objective called RESULTS!

Look at the facts regarding University of Minnesota Athletics:

The Football program is sliding,sliding,sliding. Is there anyone other than Brewter who thinks we are any closer to a BCS game today then we were 5 years ago? By all indications, this Football recruiting class is in the bottom of the BIG TEN at best! Mason looks like a super-star compared to Brewster. Maturi hired this ball of hot air and should pay the price.

Basketball: We can agree to disagree on the handling of White and Mabwke. The AD creates the environment and policies for the program. He needed to set a clear and consistent policy reagrding Student athletic misconduct. It is real simple and takes leadership. Instead, he took the mealy mouthed middle of the road ambiguous approach that created a circus and a lot of angst with players,coaches, and fans. Also, there were documented a lot of inconsistencies between football transgressions and basketball transgressions.

He could have been a leader and had two different options regarding this policy:

1) If you are accused of any crime you will not play until your legal issues are finalized and resolved. RW/TM if you don't like that, we will immediately release you from your scholarship, otherwise plan on redshirting and keep quiet.

2) A second and winning approach that other schools have (see Florida,Ohio State,USC,and WVA misconduct policy rules) would be, that if you are arrested and convicted of a felony, you are out-No questions asked. Also, there is a set of defined penalties for other incidents like the MOA White mistake for example.

Regarding Al Nolen, again, it is Al's job to go to class. THE BASKETBALL COACH should NOT be responsible for monitoring progress of students. There is a conflict of interest and you do not want the coach involved at all--remember Clem? . However, the AD Department does set up tutors and councilors to assist Studen athletes. I am not sure where they were regarding Al Nolen.

It apprears that the Basketball season is a lost season with a circus that didn't have to be.

Hockey: When you lose to Bemedji State? Does anything more need to be said?

Women's basketball: lets see --Pam Freeze = Final Four...pam Borton = half the girls quit one year and we are mediocre at best.

Baseball: John Anderson needs a new stadium. Do you think Maturi has any chance to raise the funds?

Golf Team: On the decline

The Girls Rowing team is doing great!

Ok folks---agree or disagree.

I think Tony Dungy would make a great AD at the University of Minnesota

Unfortunately, people with your approach have yet to figure out what is really important in life and it ain't winning college sports contests.

Why do you hold the U of MN, or any university up on pedestal?

If you can't figure out why someone would want the University of Minnesota to aspire to greatness across the board (not just wins and losses) than I'm not going to bother trying to explain it to you.

Unfortunately, people with your approach have yet to figure out what is really important in life and it ain't winning college sports contests.

Apparently to half the people in here what is important in life is holding the U of MN up as shining city on a hill and as a beacon for decency. Is this really important, especially from a University that cannot separate desired social outcomes from just teaching the facts.

so maxwell smart--you mean that you are teaching great lessons by being average? in that there is some redemption in being on the losing side verses winning? Please explain your logic? is the something intricically wrong with winning?
tell me the great life value you see in being associated with a losing and mediocre Athletic Depapartment at such a great University.

Ron Johnson is a unhappy old man who doesn't want to see royce make the U look bad.

So Ron Johnson--are you saying that schools with winning athletic programs are somehow inferior in education? Are Florida and Texas world class universities?
How about Auburn or Ohio State? They all win? Is there something intricically wrong with being on the winning side consistantly?

So Ron Johnson--are you saying that schools with winning athletic programs are somehow inferior in education? Are Florida and Texas world class universities?
How about Auburn or Ohio State? They all win? Is there something intricically wrong with being on the winning side consistantly?

Show me where I said that. I've said absolutely nothing remotely close to that.

Top Bottom