It's time to grant Joe Maturi his release - New AD is Tony Dungy!

millions2spare

Krav-Maga
Reaction score
I will take a lot of heat for this post especially from the "Good Neighbor" crowd
who seem to be pervasive on this board. You all place a premium on sportsmanship and representing the University (with your arrogant standards) as the number one criteria. You also have this false "lefty loony" everyone is a winner mentality, trying to please everyone and offend no-one and look at every loss as a moral victory! To contrast, there are a group of people, although in the minority at the UofM, who do want to win, win with integrity, and expect to win! Wisconsin has this approach for example from the presidents office down! People with this winners attitude are justifiably angry with habitual losing and those who are in positions of LEADERSHIP are held accountable.

In my opinion, this Athletic department is on a free fall. Joe Maturi can hold people such as Trevor Mawbwke and Royce White accountable for accusations, ignoring the rule of law that says "innocent until proven guilty". In my opinion, it is time that the board of regents and fans hold Joe Maturi accountable for a standard more objective called RESULTS!

Look at the facts regarding University of Minnesota Athletics:

The Football program is sliding,sliding,sliding. Is there anyone other than Brewter who thinks we are any closer to a BCS game today then we were 5 years ago? By all indications, this Football recruiting class is in the bottom of the BIG TEN at best! Mason looks like a super-star compared to Brewster. Maturi hired this ball of hot air and should pay the price.

Basketball: We can agree to disagree on the handling of White and Mabwke. The AD creates the environment and policies for the program. He needed to set a clear and consistent policy reagrding Student athletic misconduct. It is real simple and takes leadership. Instead, he took the mealy mouthed middle of the road ambiguous approach that created a circus and a lot of angst with players,coaches, and fans. Also, there were documented a lot of inconsistencies between football transgressions and basketball transgressions.

He could have been a leader and had two different options regarding this policy:

1) If you are accused of any crime you will not play until your legal issues are finalized and resolved. RW/TM if you don't like that, we will immediately release you from your scholarship, otherwise plan on redshirting and keep quiet.

2) A second and winning approach that other schools have (see Florida,Ohio State,USC,and WVA misconduct policy rules) would be, that if you are arrested and convicted of a felony, you are out-No questions asked. Also, there is a set of defined penalties for other incidents like the MOA White mistake for example.

Regarding Al Nolen, again, it is Al's job to go to class. THE BASKETBALL COACH should NOT be responsible for monitoring progress of students. There is a conflict of interest and you do not want the coach involved at all--remember Clem? . However, the AD Department does set up tutors and councilors to assist Studen athletes. I am not sure where they were regarding Al Nolen.

It apprears that the Basketball season is a lost season with a circus that didn't have to be.

Hockey: When you lose to Bemedji State? Does anything more need to be said?

Women's basketball: lets see --Pam Freeze = Final Four...pam Borton = half the girls quit one year and we are mediocre at best.

Baseball: John Anderson needs a new stadium. Do you think Maturi has any chance to raise the funds?

Golf Team: On the decline

The Girls Rowing team is doing great!

Ok folks---agree or disagree.

I think Tony Dungy would make a great AD at the University of Minnesota

Just for starts.

For starts it is Trevor Mbakwe, Brenda Frese, and Bemidji State.

Why is Tony Dungy the answer to everyone's problems. Other than being a good football coach, what else has he accomplished? Dungy wouldn't know the first thing about being an AD. There's a lot more to it than hiring and firing coaches.

I have a serious headache. Maybe I'll take some Tony Dungy. That'll fix me right up.

Aahhhhh Dungy. The answer to every problem.

Good question...

instant credibility, U of M Alumni, he has managed a large organization before,
he wins

tony created the environment...set the standards, wins and is a leader ---U of M
is VOID a leader.

First fact: Joel Maturi is the AD. Not Joe.

Heck, you can't even get that right ... why bother reading the rest?

Monsy, for just a second why don't you consider the point? You make your senior status look like a foolish status.

- Is Maturi good for Gopher Athletics?

Lets argue this point as it is a fair one.

Dungy aside, the bigger point M2S makes is this:

Has Maturi been good for Gopher Athletics?

Maturi needs to go. He's a piss-poor AD. He's butchered the Royce and Mbakwe situations. He acts like they committed murder. UCLA allowed Dragovic to play with a felony charge and I don't hear a peep. I'm sick of the holier than though attitude. They need a REAL AD up there that knows what it takes to win and win big in the athletic programs.

I think M2S makes great points about the failings of gopher Athletics under Maturi.
- Even our Hockey Program sucks
- Tubby Fell into Maturi's lap, who knows who he would have hired had not Tubby came knocking
- Football is terrible
- Basketball boosted with Tubby but now is falling apart due to Maturis handling of the situations
- Is our Wrestling program still tops?

Maturi needs to go. He's a piss-poor AD. He's butchered the Royce and Mbakwe situations. He acts like they committed murder. UCLA allowed Dragovic to play with a felony charge and I don't hear a peep. I'm sick of the holier than though attitude. They need a REAL AD up there that knows what it takes to win and win big in the athletic programs.

Good points about standards at other Schools. Maturi seems to be standardless thus can give no guidance and leadership.

My Guess is Tubby is frustrated with this same issue lets hope he does not leave before Maturi.

Dragovic was suspended and his felony assault charges are a bit different. It was a fight at a club where some bozo asked for it... a place where fights regularly happen and where Dragovic says, 'yes, I did it.. but it was self defense this guy was being a prick'...

In Trevor's case, the argument he has provided is, 'not me'. But, it wasn't a bar fight with some guy. It was a young lady, who alleges a man tried to pull down her pants, then proceeded to punch the crap out of her face... so bad she needed surgery.

Don't try to compare those two. That's pathetic. A grown man fighting a grown man at a bar vs. a grown man attempting to rape and then beating a girl? Get real. Even as only charges, and not convictions, they are not at all comparable. Get real.

Monsy, for just a second why don't you consider the point? You make your senior status look like a foolish status.
I use my real name on this board -- you've chosen to mis-use it. Why should I engage in any conversation with you?

BTW, I'll put my contributions to this board against yours (or your semi-literate friend, Millions) any day of the week.

Dragovic was suspended and his felony assault charges are a bit different. It was a fight at a club where some bozo asked for it... a place where fights regularly happen and where Dragovic says, 'yes, I did it.. but it was self defense this guy was being a prick'...

In Trevor's case, the argument he has provided is, 'not me'. But, it wasn't a bar fight with some guy. It was a young lady, who alleges a man tried to pull down her pants, then proceeded to punch the crap out of her face... so bad she needed surgery.

Don't try to compare those two. That's pathetic. A grown man fighting a grown man at a bar vs. a grown man attempting to rape and then beating a girl? Get real. Even as only charges, and not convictions, they are not at all comparable. Get real.

No offense Gopher Warrior but accusations do not equate to guilt. I could accuse you of being a serial killer, does that make it an offense we should fire you from your job if their is no truth to it? nor even charges filed? In America, you are innocent until proven guilty, no matter what the crime.

so let the rule of law dictate vs JOEL maturi....Mbwke is practicing with the team, doing ok in school, and he can't play because?

Dragovic's case is worse cause he basically did it! Mbakwe said he didn't do it and got witnesses to back him up. The only evidence against him is what the alleged victim says. Mbakwe should be the player that should be allowed to play in this situation rather than Dragovic. In any case, they're both felony assaults. My point is that Maturi could've allowed Mbakwe to play without any problems. Trevor is a good kid and has never been in a peep of trouble before. It's not like he's got a propensity for problems. Maturi threw him under the bus for a case which is a flimsy as they come. It should've been thrown out months ago.

so let the rule of law dictate vs JOEL maturi....Mbwke is practicing with the team, doing ok in school, and he can't play because?

Exactly, if Trevor is so toxic, why is he still on scholarship? Why practice with the team? If he's such a bad guy, why is he hanging around the players possibly corrupting them? Maturi threw Trevor under the bus and it's wrong. I think some Tennessee players got busted with guns and drugs and they're back on the team. Boeheim let Devendorf play after he was accused of pimp slapping a girl on campus. And HE ACTUALLY CONFESSED TO IT! Maturi is chicken AD and the U can do better.

I use my real name on this board -- you've chosen to mis-use it. Why should I engage in any conversation with you?

BTW, I'll put my contributions to this board against yours (or your semi-literate friend, Millions) any day of the week.

Mr. Mons, I did not mean any harm, I was just trying to engage your descent side instead of your elitist, holyier-than-thow, crotchety side. I figured your friends called you Monsy, it was a logical leap!

Please don't indulge me in your pathetic responses you social midget. You act as though I should bow down to having a logical discussion with you. Sorry I have better people to discuss Gopher Hoops with then you. I was just hoping to engage you on a descent level, but it appears you are not capable.

we lost a blue chip player in white and a circus of a season because we have a chicken crap AD who is NOT a leader........

Mr. Mons, on Second thought, I challenge you to a "POST OFF"......

- The person with the best post's wins
- I pick the judges, you pick the time
- What do you think?

Dragovic's case is worse cause he basically did it! Mbakwe said he didn't do it and got witnesses to back him up. The only evidence against him is what the alleged victim says. Mbakwe should be the player that should be allowed to play in this situation rather than Dragovic. In any case, they're both felony assaults. My point is that Maturi could've allowed Mbakwe to play without any problems. Trevor is a good kid and has never been in a peep of trouble before. It's not like he's got a propensity for problems. Maturi threw him under the bus for a case which is a flimsy as they come. It should've been thrown out months ago.

You're completely wrong.

Couldn't disagree more. The prosecutor's office is still continuing with the prosecution. The court has found probable cause. The defense has been unsuccessful in having the case dismissed. Until it's adjudicated, I think Maturi has no other real option. If Maturi wanted to throw him under the bus, Mbakwe wouldn't be suspended from the team -- he'd essentially be gone.

BTW, IMO whatever UCLA decides to do is beside the point. You're essentially using the same kind of rationale that kids use with their parents: "other parents let their kids (fill in the blank here)"

They need a REAL AD up there that knows what it takes to win and win big in the athletic programs.
God save us from the Kentucky sports mentality of Faustian compacts (viz a viz: Gillispie and Calipari).

Top Bottom