It must suck being a Nebraska fan right now

In the Big 8? From 1963 to it's end in 1995 the Cornhuskers never lost 2 Conference games. Indeed they had 7 undefeated season and one 6-0-1 year. Why? Because the only great team they faced on a regular basis was Oklahoma.

Those wonderful years, plus the large rosters allowed them to recruit, and keep some fine players. The NFL waited until a kid's class graduated to draft him. That meant NE was playing a lot of Seniors.

When they became part of the Big 12 they rightly chafed at Texas getting the lion's share of the money.

They accepted the Big 10's offer. Their fans bitterly complained about not playing PSU, MI and tOSU because those were the teams they wanted to see. Teams on Nebraska's level. They did well for a handful of years. Then they didn't. Why?

- In the Big Ten even the bad teams can rise-up and beat ya on occasion.

- They lost their recruiting base in TX

- Rosters were shortened and the NFL started taking Jr.s

- Without the guarantee of being on National Television weekly and getting to a New Year's Day Big Bowl on a regular basis the allure of spending the year(s) in Lincoln, NE was gone.

As was the chance of Nebraska being a regular fixture in the race for the National Championship. Their fans though, as attested to this week with their proclamations of "destroying the Gophers!" will never accept the reality of their current, and future, situation.

Last edited:

I still have nightmares about the 2006 (Texas Tech), 2008 (Kansas), and 2009 (Iowa State) Insight Bowls.
2012 Texas Tech was another good one in that regard, but not quite Masonic or Brewsterian on our collapse

In the Big 8? From 1963 to it's end in 1995 the Cornhuskers never 2 Conference games. Indeed they had had 7 undefeated season and one 6-0-1 year. Why? Because the great team they faced on a regular basis was Oklahoma.

Those wonderful years, plus the large rosters allowed them to recruit, and keep some fine players. The NFL waited until a kid's class graduated
Also helped that they started roiding up about 10 years earlier than everyone else

Pellini was not the "professional" level of a coach that a University needs.
He can coach football, but he shouldn't be the face of a major university.
His temper isn't suited for it.

Omaha is a fun city and larger than Minneapolis. I’ve had a great time there on Gopher road game weekends.

No offense (actually) but i highly doubt that our ideas of what constitutes 'fun' fall anywhere nearly into the same parameters.

Frost's undefeated year at UCF was only his second year there which meant he was playing with the former coach's players.
Secondly there was not even a semblance of playing defense. The combined scores of most games in that conference was usually in three figures.
He brought almost all of his young and untested assistant coaches with him to Lincoln.
The President and AD at NE both talked about national championships when they announced Frost was the new HC raising expectations.
Frost said that the BIG was going to have to learn how to adapt to his type of FB.
Pellini was a nightmare for the NE self image of treating people well.
The only NE fans I know are relatives by marriage, otherwise nice people except when discussing NE FB.
They were certain that they stepping down in prestige and would be dominant.
NE's first conference game was a night game against WI.
WI easily beat hem and on TV you could hear the WI student section clapping in rhythm and chanting Big Ten.
Every FL recruit in the NE 2020 class has left.

This is hilarious

This fella needs MORE in his life than just Cornhusker football. Certainly has the Nebraska fan failure to believe that other programs could ever rise above theirs attitude.

Last edited:

Omaha is a fun city and larger than Minneapolis. I’ve had a great time there on Gopher road game weekends.
Omaha is larger than Minneapolis? By what measure? Square miles yes. Popoulation no.
Minneapolis proper is 425,000 and Omaha is 408,000. Metro areas are not even close. 3.6 million vs 1 million.

I've never been there so I can't speak to the "fun" part but I guess it depends on what you define as fun. I can even have fun in St. Cloud so I'm sure I could make it work in Omaha.

Omaha is larger than Minneapolis? By what measure? Square miles yes. Popoulation no.
Minneapolis proper is 425,000 and Omaha is 408,000. Metro areas are not even close. 3.6 million vs 1 million.

I've never been there so I can't speak to the "fun" part but I guess it depends on what you define as fun. I can even have fun in St. Cloud so I'm sure I could make it work in Omaha.
St cloud used to be more fun than Minneapolis in my opinion. I haven't been out in either for years though.

If Nebraska loses to Rutgers are they on the worst trajectory of any program?

Was discussing this with my Michigan friend and Iowa friend, they both said yes also. I guess you could make a case for Illinois since they fired their coach but they have been better than Nebraska lately

Was discussing this with my Michigan friend and Iowa friend, they both said yes also. I guess you could make a case for Illinois since they fired their coach but they have been better than Nebraska lately
My opinion may be tainted by my desire that Nebraska never win another game, ever.

Husker fans are salty about playing Rutgers.

...on a Friday night at 3:00 PM or something.

People. Omaha is nearing 500K people. It’s at 470K now. It’s a big city with lots to do there.

People. Omaha is nearing 500K people. It’s at 470K now. It’s a big city with lots to do there.
People pretty much like where they lived if they have lived there all their life. The transplants all seem to prefer the area where they use to live. Go figure.

While I've spent considerable time in Omaha and find it a fine city, it is nowhere near Minneapolis in size. Omaha doesn't grow by attracting residents it grows by annexing it's suburbs - comparing the population of the City proper is meaningless.

Ponder this:

Team with the greatest win/loss +/- in Nebraska history..........Your Minnesota Golden Gophers. We are tied with Pittsburgh of all teams. We are a +9 and the next team up is a +7, which is Ohio State. They have better win percentage that we do, but no team has beaten Nebraska more than we have outside of Oklahoma. I hope next year we can make it so we stand alone at the top of the hill in beating Nebraska. Go Gophers.

Husker fans are salty about playing Rutgers.

...on a Friday night at 3:00 PM or something.
They must think it is beneath them to play Rutgers.

Alert to nebby fans, it is beneath Rutgers to have to play you!

Top Bottom