If true we will never see NDSU ever again.....

Hey, you don't need to get pissy about it, but do you even follow college football. End of year sagarin:

Northern Illinois. 39
UCF. 45
Tulsa. 47
NDSU. 35
Yeah, as I said, sagarin ratings be damned. It's one computer formula, which, while having some validity, you're vastly overrating because it suits your argument. You would be thumped by those 10-11 win FBS teams, and every FBS conference is better than any FCS conference.

from SB Nation:

This is a pretty landmark move by the Big Ten. Currently none of the major college football conferences have any restrictions on playing FCS opponents, and actively welcome at least one annual matchup with a patsy from a smaller conference to ensure one easy opponent on the schedule. Only three teams have exclusively played Division I schools: The USC Trojans, UCLA Bruins, and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. For everyone else, it's become a lot easier to handle one week during the season when their annual cupcake comes to town.

The Big Ten removing that restriction might be paving the path to a new future for major college football conferences as they try and consolidate their power. More games against major schools would probably mean more money for the Big Ten in its next TV contract. Other conferences might then try to do the same in order to keep up with the Big Ten, and soon the FCS matchup might very well become a thing of the past.

Michigan State used to be on that list. Wonder when that changed.

DI FCS games vs DII do not currently count towards playoff eligibility, although there some effort to change this. If 1 game counted, it would be a good financial decision to play Duluth, Makato, SC, etc . . . And the games would happen. Pretty sure FCS leagues wouldn't put rules in place to prevent playing DII's to the overall detriment of college FB. I don't think the FCS would be paranoid and selfish enough to do that to college FB as a whole. Kinda a ME-10 move, and kinda unnecessary.

If NDSU is so confident in their abilities why don't they just move up to DI and try to get in a conference such as the MAC? Then all this debate could be over.

Pretty soon they will make us schedule teams like ... uh ... North Carolina

Not very appealing to for Fans . . . to what? Lose, play bad teams? What is it Alvarez?

So its OK to play 174th rated New Mexico State, 169 Akron, 165 Idaho (bringing no fans), but not 79th rated SDSU or 35th rated NDSU (bringing fans)? Really? The B1G is now making policy when there is no need for policy? B1G is getting a little full of itself I'd say. B1G will stop playing ACC next I suppose.

Well told, brother.

Pretty soon they will make us schedule teams like ... uh ... North Carolina

Heh, the funny thing is the board was largely in favor of Kill/Teague's move to get rid of NC in favor of an easier schedule to make it feasible to get to bowl games each year (setting the bar quite low for B1G play by doing so). Obviously many disagreed, but most were in favor.

Now it seems like everyone (at least on this thread) are all in favor of upping our schedule difficulty by replacing an FCS school with another FBS team from the B1G.

Heh, the funny thing is the board was largely in favor of Kill/Teague's move to get rid of NC in favor of an easier schedule to make it feasible to get to bowl games each year (setting the bar quite low for B1G play by doing so). Obviously many disagreed, but most were in favor.

Now it seems like everyone (at least on this thread) are all in favor of upping our schedule difficulty by replacing an FCS school with another FBS team from the B1G.

Actually, I haven't spoken to one fellow Gopher fan that was in any way happy about dropping UNC. My take is that the overwhelming majority on this board feel/felt the same way.

Any non-lower division opponent will be better - and vastly more interesting, and more challenging.

I really don't care either way. I just like to prod NDSU fans when they come on here and spout off about how great they think their team is. It is like they need us to acknowledge how great they think they are. A simple, congratulations doesn't cut it. They consistently want to come here and bring up MN players we 'missed' on, coaching superiority, etc. Just always looking for validation it seems like. When really, a good percentage of posters here come to discuss GOPHER Football and don't really care about NDSU or what there fans have to say.

Quite frankly, I think that is why people are saying, 'yea, great idea'. Just the idea that the B1G Ten considers them to be a JV league and the fact that NDSU fans get told as much by the majority of posters here when they come and talk about how 'tough' they are and how 'tough' the MVC is. IMO.

(Got a little off topic, sorry.) :)

Actually, I haven't spoken to one fellow Gopher fan that was in any way happy about dropping UNC. My take is that the overwhelming majority on this board feel/felt the same way.

Any non-lower division opponent will be better - and vastly more interesting, and more challenging.

There were quite a number of people on THIS board who were defending it but not the majority. There were even a number of people who tried to suggest that NO ONE outside of that dreaded "Media" cared about it. :banghead:

On the original subject take a look at the B1G Blogs "survey". It's a pretty popular move.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/71601/poll-best-b1g-scheduling-development

Which is the best Big Ten scheduling development to emerge in recent days?

19%
Move to more conference games (nine or 10)
36%
Green light for November night games
45%
No more games against FCS teams

(Total votes: 3,761)

There were quite a number of people on THIS board who were defending it but not the majority. There were even a number of people who tried to suggest that NO ONE outside of that dreaded "Media" cared about it. :banghead:

On the original subject take a look at the B1G Blogs "survey". It's a pretty popular move.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/71601/poll-best-b1g-scheduling-development

Which is the best Big Ten scheduling development to emerge in recent days?

19%
Move to more conference games (nine or 10)
36%
Green light for November night games
45%
No more games against FCS teams
(Total votes: 3,761)

Exactly. It is a typical lose-lose scenario. If you don't pound the FCS team by 3 scores, fans are pissed. Heaven forbid you lose that game, fans become REALLY pissed. I am guilty of both, honestly.

I have to chime in. Count me among those who was ticked that they dropped the UNC game.

Dropping UNC was ridiculous. You can bet Kill's staff is against this move.

DI FCS games vs DII do not currently count towards playoff eligibility, although there some effort to change this. If 1 game counted, it would be a good financial decision to play Duluth, Makato, SC, etc . . . And the games would happen. Pretty sure FCS leagues wouldn't put rules in place to prevent playing DII's to the overall detriment of college FB. I don't think the FCS would be paranoid and selfish enough to do that to college FB as a whole. Kinda a ME-10 move, and kinda unnecessary.

Games against D-II teams don't count toward bowl eligibility, but I'm pretty sure you're mistaken about D-II games not counting toward playoff eligibility. You say the games would happen, but Bison fans have been pretty strongly against playing D-II teams. If the Big Ten should play FCS teams for the good of college football, then why shouldn't NDSU play D-II teams? That would be equally good for college football. We can dispense with "paranoia" that doesn't enter into it.

But so what if the Big Ten is looking after its own interests? Why shouldn't they?

Games against D-II teams don't count toward bowl eligibility, but I'm pretty sure you're mistaken about D-II games not counting toward playoff eligibility. You say the games would happen, but Bison fans have been pretty strongly against playing D-II teams. If the Big Ten should play FCS teams for the good of college football, then why shouldn't NDSU play D-II teams? That would be equally good for college football. We can dispense with "paranoia" that doesn't enter into it.

But so what if the Big Ten is looking after its own interests? Why shouldn't they?

FCS playoff eligibility requires 7 DI win. 7-4 with a DII win and you are out of the postseason. Therefore interdivision games are a last resort unfortunately. IMO, the B1G (not blaming MN) is going beyond its best interests and making moves that are damaging college hockey and possibly college FB. I look at UNI and IN state who rely heavily on in state FBS games to meet budgets. IMO if you dont want to play FCS, dont play them. But to announce it to the world is a pretty arrogant thing to do. Again, that was not MN doing it.

FCS playoff eligibility requires 7 DI win. 7-4 with a DII win and you are out of the postseason. Therefore interdivision games are a last resort unfortunately. IMO, the B1G (not blaming MN) is going beyond its best interests and making moves that are damaging college hockey and possibly college FB. I look at UNI and IN state who rely heavily on in state FBS games to meet budgets. IMO if you dont want to play FCS, dont play them. But to announce it to the world is a pretty arrogant thing to do. Again, that was not MN doing it.

Who are you to say anything is "arrogant?" Every bison fan I know thinks ndsu is the Mecca of college football. Bison fans constantly talk noise about how the gopher football program is garbage but turn around and pound their chest when talking about your fbs dominance vs in bison fans words a "terrible gophers program." Ndsu has the most arrogant fanbase in America and you guys haven't done anything special yet. I don't respect your national titles because the teams you play suck.

Who are you to say anything is "arrogant?" Every bison fan I know thinks ndsu is the Mecca of college football. Bison fans constantly talk noise about how the gopher football program is garbage but turn around and pound their chest when talking about your fbs dominance vs in bison fans words a "terrible gophers program." Ndsu has the most arrogant fanbase in America and you guys haven't done anything special yet. I don't respect your national titles because the teams you play suck.

Then the Gophers are on the suck list.

The bottom line is that the Gophers did not take care of business and NDSU "owns" the Gophers. Just check the records.

I do not blame the NDSU fans one bit. I wish the Gophers had something to pound our chest about.

The bottom line is that the Gophers did not take care of business and NDSU "owns" the Gophers. Just check the records.

I do not blame the NDSU fans one bit. I wish the Gophers had something to pound our chest about.

Yes the gophers suck, hoping we get away from being in contention for the toilet bowl championship

The B1G is, since 1978, 93-8 (.921) against FCS competition.

Good move to give the fans something better.

You sound like a NDSU Buffalo fan . . . a 2-17 lifetime record against an opponent (with their 2 wins against an utterly dysfunctional and limping team) = "owning". For the love of God.

Vis-a-vis the Buffaloes, we can pound our chest for playing a B1G schedule each and every year, and (at least) 3 non-conf opponents that are all tougher than the toughest game they play in their league.

For me (and I would think to the rational and thinking person) I respect the person who tries to climb an Everest or a K-2 - and fails - 1000x more than the person who successfully walks to the top of Pikes Peak year after year. An enormous difference in degree of difficulty. This does not resonate or in any way register with the myopic and delusional followers of NDSU specifically, and any other "FCS" or mid-major program.

"Et tu, Bayfield?"

Since when does a 2-17 record that NDSU has against our Gophers result in them owning us? Check the records?!?! Are you on drugs?!

NDSU beat Gophers teams that were 1-11 and 3-9 with teams that were 10-1 and 14-1. Congratulations, the best of the FCS can beat a FBS team that is having a really bad year.

I'm convinced that the Gophers would have beat NDSU this past season. NDSU lost at home to a team that had multiple losses on the season and NDSU squeaked by teams like SDSU, Georgia Southern, Wofford, Missouri State, Southern Illinois by an average of 4.25 pts. These teams were a combined 0-6 agains BCS teams and lost by an average of over 23 pts in those games. Like stated above, NDSU is 2-17 against MN and those two wins came is seasons that the Gophers were 1-11, 3-9, and had first year coaches and programs.

This is literally what trolls like Herd have been hoping to read here. How dumb.
Now you give them the pat on the head that they so crave, and they'll go back to their bison buddies bragging about how "even gopher fans agree we're lords of the universe"
Good god man.

I'm not sure where everyone is getting this 2-17 from (or if there's some inside joke I'm not privy to), but NDAC is 2-6 against the Gophers.

I'm not sure where everyone is getting this 2-17 from (or if there's some inside joke I'm not privy to), but NDAC is 2-6 against the Gophers.

Sorry Dpo. I got the statement below from the Game Notes on the Gophers website. I got my numbers a little jumbled. More of a joke as to I really don't care what there record is. Link below as well.

The Gophers are 26-2-0 all-time against schools from North Dakota – 7-2 vs. NDSU, 19-0 vs. North Dakota.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/092411aab.html

FCS had 10 wins against FBS teams this past season.

Middle Tenn State 8-4
Idaho 1-11
Memphis 4-8
Pitt 6-7 (1st yr coach)
East. Mich. 2-10
Colorado 1-11
Colorado State 4-8 (NDSU's Signature Win)
UNLV 2-11
Wyoming 4-8
Army 2-10

Top Bottom