If true we will never see NDSU ever again.....

I think he meant it in the traditional sense.

Div 1
Div 1 aa
Div 2
Div 3

We get it, NDSU is "TECHNICALLY" D1, but for traditionalists, it's not the same.

+1. Thank you Bob. And, FIFY. Haha. :)

Lord, who is full of themselves? You guys sell shirts for running the table on the Woffords, Ga. Southerns, and Sam Houston States of the world - a B1G team would have to apologize for that. Sagarin ratings? Really? You conveniently left out that in that same "rating" system - your strength of schedule was 135th!!! You finished 125th in the country last year - congratulations, and I mean that, and go win another one in 2013. But it is was it is - and all you can ever be.

Here is what the next lower division's fans don't get . . . . Minnesota averaged 46.6K attendance per game last year. The extra 4.2K that the Buffaloes bring at say, $40/ticket = $168K in ticket revenue. Even if future non-Division 1-AA opponents don 't fill the place up (there is a good chance they will, AND, the Gophers are improving) . . . we could earn nearly that same amount on the INTEREST WE GET ON OUR $7.0 MLN BTN PAYMENT for ONE year (it will likely go way up from there).

We . . . don't . . . need . . . you . . .

We will be fine financially, and better for it on the field in the long run. Please don't judge yourselves on playing that Brewster "led" 1-11 Minnesota squad in 2006, or that newly coached, established-QB-less 3-9 squad in 2011 - with your best team ever. In reality, you guys are Trevor Berbick.

If this troubles the NDSU fans of the world, join a big boy conference, and this "great affront" will go away.

Incredible.

Beyond NDSU, thank God our days of playing New Hampshire, Indiana State, and Western Illinois are done. Bully for the B1G, I say!!!

Which conf would one need to join to play with the Big Boys? Should the SEC and B12 stop playing the B1G and P12?

1 SOUTHEASTERN (A) = 81.75 81.57 ( 1) 14 81.64 ( 1)
2 BIG 12 (A) = 79.99 79.38 ( 2) 10 79.54 ( 2)
3 PAC-12 (A) = 76.15 75.58 ( 3) 12 75.85 ( 3)
4 BIG TEN (A) = 75.87 75.05 ( 4) 12 75.24 ( 4)
5 I-A INDEPENDENTS (A) = 72.83 72.73 ( 5) 4 72.82 ( 5)
6 BIG EAST (A) = 72.16 71.87 ( 7) 8 71.91 ( 6)
7 ATLANTIC COAST (A) = 71.64 71.92 ( 6) 12 71.80 ( 7)
8 WESTERN ATHLETIC (A) = 64.57 64.82 ( 8) 7 64.72 ( 8)
9 SUN BELT (A) = 62.95 62.95 ( 9) 10 62.95 ( 9)
10 MID-AMERICAN (A) = 62.60 62.37 ( 11) 13 62.44 ( 11)
11 CONFERENCE USA (A) = 62.18 62.64 ( 10) 12 62.52 ( 10)
12 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 61.53 60.79 ( 13) 10 60.94 ( 13)
13 MOUNTAIN WEST (A) = 60.97 61.82 ( 12) 10 61.64 ( 12)

And I don't know where you got your 2011-2012 Sagarin Ratings. Try 37 instead of 125.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt11.htm

As a SCSU alum and a Husky hockey fan, a lot of people call us JBSU, maybe we need to label NDSU - JBSU Jr.

Just from this year:

Illinois over Charleston Southern, 44-0
Purdue over Eastern Kentucky, 48-6
Minnesota over New Hampshire, 44-7
Northwestern over South Dakota, 38-7
Nebraska over Idaho State, 73-7

These are the games that the Big Ten wants to eliminate. There are 127 teams in the FCS and most of them will provide an extremely uncompetitive game against a Big Ten team that fans have little interest in. Obviously, there are a few very good teams in the FCS such as NDSU that would provide somewhat of a challenge to some Big Ten teams, but these games typically don't interest the fans too much. NDSU is not your average FCS team, so quit using them to try to prove a point about the entire FCS. For every NDSU or Sam Houston St that might provide a competitive game, there is a Nicholls State or Savannah State ready to lose 84-0.

Just from this year:

These are the games that the Big Ten wants to eliminate. There are 127 teams in the FCS and most of them will provide an extremely uncompetitive game against a Big Ten team that fans have little interest in. Obviously, there are a few very good teams in the FCS such as NDSU that would provide somewhat of a talent to most Big Ten teams, but these games typically don't interest fans too much. NDSU is not your average FCS team though, so quit using them to try to prove a point about the entire FCS. For every NDSU or Sam Houston St that might provide a competitive game, there is a Nicholls State or Savannah State.

Well put. I can't wait until there are no more NDSU posts here.

Just from this year:

These are the games that the Big Ten wants to eliminate. There are 127 teams in the FCS and most of them will provide an extremely uncompetitive game against a Big Ten team that fans have little interest in. Obviously, there are a few very good teams in the FCS such as NDSU that would provide somewhat of a challenge to some Big Ten teams, but these games typically don't interest the fans too much. NDSU is not your average FCS team, so quit using them to try to prove a point about the entire FCS. For every NDSU or Sam Houston St that might provide a competitive game, there is a Nicholls State or Savannah State ready to lose 84-0.

I see that you conveniently left off . . .
UNI vs Wisconsn
UNI vs Iowa
IN St vs IN
and the 10 Ws by the FCS vs FBS in 2012

Which games are influencing the B1G decision?

UNI vs Wisconsn
UNI vs Iowa
IN St vs IN

Are you honestly trying to insinuate that the Big Ten is eliminating these games because they're afraid of FCS competition?

Lord, who is full of themselves? You guys sell shirts for running the table on the Woffords, Ga. Southerns, and Sam Houston States of the world - a B1G team would have to apologize for that. Sagarin ratings? Really? You conveniently left out that in that same "rating" system - your strength of schedule was 135th!!! You finished 125th in the country last year - congratulations, and I mean that, and go win another one in 2013. But it is was it is - and all you can ever be.

Here is what the next lower division's fans don't get . . . . Minnesota averaged 46.6K attendance per game last year. The extra 4.2K that the Buffaloes bring at say, $40/ticket = $168K in ticket revenue. Even if future non-Division 1-AA opponents don 't fill the place up (there is a good chance they will, AND, the Gophers are improving) . . . we could earn nearly that same amount on the INTEREST WE GET ON OUR $7.0 MLN BTN PAYMENT for ONE year (it will likely go way up from there).

We . . . don't . . . need . . . you . . .

We will be fine financially, and better for it on the field in the long run. Please don't judge yourselves on playing that Brewster "led" 1-11 Minnesota squad in 2006, or that newly coached, established-QB-less 3-9 squad in 2011 - with your best team ever. In reality, you guys are Trevor Berbick.

If this troubles the NDSU fans of the world, join a big boy conference, and this "great affront" will go away.

Incredible.

Beyond NDSU, thank God our days of playing New Hampshire, Indiana State, and Western Illinois are done. Bully for the B1G, I say!!!

+1. well stated.

UNI vs Wisconsn
UNI vs Iowa
IN St vs IN

this is just a stupid way to even try argue your point. historically fbs schools beat fcs schools handily. they schedule them often as tune up games. these schedules are made years in advance and when a high flying fcs school plays an fbs school in an influx period, they can win often. simply citing numbers doesn't mean jack S*** for comparing why the big ten would want to drop fcs schools. yeah sometimes you guys will win but many times these are regional matchups where the guys who were skipped out on by the fbs school come in with a chip on their shoulder and want nothing more than to win. it turns into many guys' super bowl of sorts.

many times you guys will get the crap pasted out of you. yes NDSU has a winning record against the fbs. be proud of that. how many teams can claim that right? normally we will see a blowout that fans are entirely disinterested in for the fbs school and that's why the big wants to eliminate the games. disinterested fans are not good for BIG revenue.

I mean for god's sake, use some common sense. the BIG sure as hell isn't trying to duck playing the fcs. its making, in my opinion, a very smart move which hopefully will force coach's hands to try to make match-ups that will get fan bases excited rather than skip a snooze fest 63-0 shellacking.

this is just a stupid way to even try argue your point. historically fbs schools beat fcs schools handily. they schedule them often as tune up games. these schedules are made years in advance and when a high flying fcs school plays an fbs school in an influx period, they can win often. simply citing numbers doesn't mean jack S*** for comparing why the big ten would want to drop fcs schools. yeah sometimes you guys will win but many times these are regional matchups where the guys who were skipped out on by the fbs school come in with a chip on their shoulder and want nothing more than to win. it turns into many guys' super bowl of sorts.

many times you guys will get the crap pasted out of you. yes NDSU has a winning record against the fbs. be proud of that. how many teams can claim that right? normally we will see a blowout that fans are entirely disinterested in for the fbs school and that's why the big wants to eliminate the games. disinterested fans are not good for BIG revenue.

I mean for god's sake, use some common sense. the BIG sure as hell isn't trying to duck playing the fcs. its making, in my opinion, a very smart move which hopefully will force coach's hands to try to make match-ups that will get fan bases excited rather than skip a snooze fest 63-0 shellacking.

Exactly. When an FBS team schedules an FCS team it is typically because they are looking for an easy W. Doesn't always work out that way but that is the reason the game was scheduled. The FBS team wants a W and the FCS team is willing to play the game because they can make a lot of money for their athletic department that they can't playing other FCS teams.

Herd and other NDSU fans should be proud of the program they have going out there. The top FCS teams can be competitive with the middle to lower half of the FBS on a year to year basis but in general when an FCS team is scheduled it isn't because the FBS team wants a challenge.

Exactly. When an FBS team schedules an FCS team it is typically because they are looking for an easy W. Doesn't always work out that way but that is the reason the game was scheduled. The FBS team wants a W and the FCS team is willing to play the game because they can make a lot of money for their athletic department that they can't playing other FCS teams.

Herd and other NDSU fans should be proud of the program they have going out there. The top FCS teams can be competitive with the middle to lower half of the FBS on a year to year basis but in general when an FCS team is scheduled it isn't because the FBS team wants a challenge.

Easy win sure, but it means home games with no return game also. $$$$$$$$$$$$$h. Let's not forget the money part.

Barry made a living on FCS programs.

Wall Street Journal in 2011 printed an article that displayed a decades worth of strength of schedule and the WI Badgers had the easiest schedule. not that i wouldn't do the same.

Easy win sure, but it means home games with no return game also. $$$$$$$$$$$$$h. Let's not forget the money part.

There are plenty of low level FBS teams that will take a payday without a return game. In the end it is always about the money in one way or anotehr but in your example it would make sense to keep playing FCS teams.

I for one am thrilled! I hate playing the Dakota's because its an absolute lose lose situation with nothing to gain. It doesn't help our recruiting because we don't get kids from the Dakota's and in turn I think this will help our walk on program because schools like UNi and ndsu etc will have less to offer. I really hope the other major conferences follow our lead.

With this and the advent of Big Ten hockey I'm already forgetting about them. Remind me which one has a buffalo mascot and which one has a flicker tail?

conversation clubs will take a hit not having the ND fans in town

Great news. I want to see us play teams like Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma and USC. This at least would remove the cattle colleges out of the equation.

There are plenty of low level FBS teams that will take a payday without a return game. In the end it is always about the money in one way or anotehr but in your example it would make sense to keep playing FCS teams.

True, but there will also be more demand and therefore raising the price.

Agreed, no question. But the MAC, Sunbelt, MWC and CUSA are also FBS. Is the B1G going to stop playing them? Not much difference in on the field quality vs. the best FCS conference. Again, look at the Sagarins if you don't believe me, with both FCS and these conferences stepping up to play the better FBS teams 1-3 times per year. Ya, there are some really bad FCS teams (some have no schaolarships at all).
You're comparing the best FCS teams to the field in FBS. Boise State is in the MWC and they would kick the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# out of you. So would a team like Central Florida, Northern Illinois, or Tulsa, sagarin ratings be damned.

Yes, the best FCS teams are better than some FBS teams, but I'll take the MAC or Moutain West over the Missouri Valley Conference any day.

You're comparing the best FCS teams to the field in FBS. Boise State is in the MWC and they would kick the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# out of you. So would a team like Central Florida, Northern Illinois, or Tulsa, sagarin ratings be damned.

Yes, the best FCS teams are better than some FBS teams, but I'll take the MAC or Moutain West over the Missouri Valley Conference any day.

+1

Lot of good points in this thread, one poster aside. ALL Non-Conference foes are demanding and getting more money. It was a major factor in the B1G/Pac 12 agreement in the first place. If or when, the B1G goes to a 10th Conference game keeping the game "in house" will be as much for TV and attendance reasons as playing all teams in the B1G. With all the money coming down the line in the new TV contract the B1G needs to offer much better season long product than they are now.

The B1G also has a much better relationship with the MAC than all the FCS Conferences combined. The states of Michigan and Ohio in particular will want to keep that yearly MAC game. Minnesota should be okay with that too no matter who doesn't like it over there.

I can't speak for Philly but I think what he is suggesting is that all "major" conferences get an automatic bid.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't very clear. I was talking about the no non-conference games. If the other major conferences don't follow suite and still play several easy non-conference games every year, that would hurt the Big Ten. It's easier to go 10-3 if you've got several easy non conference wins. Much tougher if all your games are within the conference.

If there ever ends up being four super conferences with each having the same amount of teams, I'm hoping they would do something like the BT-ACC Challenge in basketball. Except rotate the conferences you play every year. Your opponent is selected based on the team's success the year before.

I think a primary reason for this move is that when the BCS Playoffs start, Strength of Schedule (similar to RPI for hoops) will be a factor on who gets in the playoff. SOS for your opponents will also matter, thus the move to eliminate 1-AA teams.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't very clear. I was talking about the no non-conference games. If the other major conferences don't follow suite and still play several easy non-conference games every year, that would hurt the Big Ten. It's easier to go 10-3 if you've got several easy non conference wins. Much tougher if all your games are within the conference.

If there ever ends up being four super conferences with each having the same amount of teams, I'm hoping they would do something like the BT-ACC Challenge in basketball. Except rotate the conferences you play every year. Your opponent is selected based on the team's success the year before.

Very true. It's also tough when Alabama can play 8 games in their Home state and 3 games in adjacent states. They have to "travel" only once and that's all the way to Texas A&M. LSU? They play 7 games at Home, so far so good. 3 more in adjacent states and their "travel" games are to Alabama and Georgia, one and two states away. Florida plays 9 games in Florida and the others in South Carolina, Kentucky and Missouri. Does anybody believe they'd be going to MO if it wasn't a Conference game?

Texas? 9 games in the state, one in Utah, and 2 Conference games in Iowa and West Virginia. Not bad. Oklahoma gets major credit for heading to South Bend to play the Irish. Their other 11 games? They're ALL in Oklahoma or a neighboring state!

No GiI you're very right about Non-Conference schedule. It could make a very unbalanced road to the playoffs even more so.

Bison fans insist that NDSU not schedule D-II teams, why should Big Ten teams be expected to play FCS teams?

To me this is all about $$ and its about time.
FBS teams put alot of $$ into running their athletic programs (facilities and scholarships). FCS teams do not. They are in a different league or division because they decided they did not want to make the same sort of commitments (facilities and scholarships) as FBS teams do. Why give these schools a 'taste' of being an FBS school while they are not having to have the same commitment level?

I also believe that in Minnesota's situation we should never play an FCS school that touches our borders ever again just for the sake of the walk on situation. Why would we allow a potential walk on go to NDSU where they can market the kid by saying "you can get back at the U for not giving you a scholarship when we go down there to play in 2 years". We need every walk on we can get, and if you take away playing in any Big Ten stadium from NDSU you know there are alot of kids that would end up as walk ons.

If regional rivalries are your thing, I can see why one would want MN to have the ability to schedule FCS opponents. Most other B1G schools have better proximity to other BCS schools near their borders. Aside from Iowa St., there isn’t much to choose from other than the Dakota schools. I myself would be more interested in a B1G vs. PAC-12 non-conference game. It’s all a matter of preference.

If regional rivalries are your thing, I can see why one would want MN to have the ability to schedule FCS opponents. Most other B1G schools have better proximity to other BCS schools near their borders. Aside from Iowa St., there isn’t much to choose from other than the Dakota schools. I myself would be more interested in a B1G vs. PAC-12 non-conference game. It’s all a matter of preference.

I hope we put Iowa State on our schedule sometime soon.

Top Bottom