If true we will never see NDSU ever again.....

gopherguy05

Section 246 Row 4
Reaction score
And this may hurt bowl games in the near future...

Jeff Potrykus ‏@jaypo1961

#Badgers Alvarez (WIBA AM): BIG has agreed to stop scheduling FCS programs. "Not very appealing for fans."

sure hate to agree with Alvarez on anything, but he is right on this. As a season ticket holder I want to see games against 1A schools.

I'm not a big fan of the FCS games either, but this seems like a decision that should be left up to each school. I would also imagine this will make filling out a schedule a lot more difficult (i.e. finding teams that have openings to play, etc.).

Dang, was hoping it was going to say that a glacier has moved through North Dakota and wiped the entire state out.

Dang, was hoping it was going to say that a glacier has moved through North Dakota and wiped the entire state out.

Yes, and except for the oil patch, the rest of the state had a combined $38 damage.

Cannot agree with the initial reaction here. As a season ticket holder, I would prefer to watch the Gophers play the Bison in place of New Mexico State, North Texas, Utah State, etc. Those teams can look for bigger paydays as they will be in high demand.

Not very appealing to for Fans . . . to what? Lose, play bad teams? What is it Alvarez?

So its OK to play 174th rated New Mexico State, 169 Akron, 165 Idaho (bringing no fans), but not 79th rated SDSU or 35th rated NDSU (bringing fans)? Really? The B1G is now making policy when there is no need for policy? B1G is getting a little full of itself I'd say. B1G will stop playing ACC next I suppose.

Cannot agree with the initial reaction here. As a season ticket holder, I would prefer to watch the Gophers play the Bison in place of New Mexico State, North Texas, Utah State, etc. Those teams can look for bigger paydays as they will be in high demand.

Really? I could care less if they play the Bison in the NC schedule. Quite frankly, they are right in there with the teams you've mentioned, NMST, University of North Texas, etc. as far as "stature".

As far as teams looking for a pay-day, you honestly think the bison wouldn't receive almost the same amount of money those other schools would receive? I think so. The discrepancy wouldn't be that big of a difference IMO.

Not very appealing to for Fans . . . to what? Lose, play bad teams? What is it Alvarez?

So its OK to play 174th rated New Mexico State, 169 Akron, 165 Idaho (bringing no fans), but not 79th rated SDSU or 35th rated NDSU (bringing fans)? Really? The B1G is now making policy when there is no need for policy? B1G is getting a little full of itself I'd say. B1G will stop playing ACC next I suppose.

Bison ranked 35th? Coaches poll or AP Poll?! :rolleyes:

And this may hurt bowl games in the near future...

Jeff Potrykus ‏@jaypo1961

#Badgers Alvarez (WIBA AM): BIG has agreed to stop scheduling FCS programs. "Not very appealing for fans."

Barry made a living on FCS programs.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

I would think that most are familiar with the Sagarin ratings posted regularly in the USA today. Kinda of the RPI for college football.

Kinda, and yet not. Polls and BCS ranking is all that matters to D1 football teams.
So glad the B1G is agreeing to this, better for fans and the conference.

The occasional FCS school is better than the occasional FBS school, but lets not get carried away, generally the FCS games are snoozers for fans.

That said, I think it should be up to the school. The FCS games can be beneficial to the schools that are really struggling and going through a transition. I'd never schedule NDSU again and any coach with any foresight wouldn't either, but those decisions should be left to the schools.

When we go to 16 or more teams...we won't play any non-conference teams...which would be just fine with me. With a playoff and the winner of the B1G guaranteed a spot in the playoffs...what does it matter.

Kinda, and yet not. Polls and BCS ranking is all that matters to D1 football teams.
So glad the B1G is agreeing to this, better for fans and the conference.

The Sagarin ratings include only DI teams.

The Sagarin ratings include only DI teams.

I think he meant it in the traditional sense.

Div 1
Div 1 aa
Div 2
Div 3

We get it, NDSU is technically D1, but for traditionalists, it's not the same.

When we go to 16 or more teams...we won't play any non-conference teams...which would be just fine with me. With a playoff and the winner of the B1G guaranteed a spot in the playoffs...what does it matter.

It would hurt your chances of going to big bowls if other conferences aren't doing the same.

I'd prefer if B10 teams would stop playing Notre Dame. Actually, all D1 schools that aren't too good to be in a conference.

I think he meant it in the traditional sense.

Div 1
Div 1 aa
Div 2
Div 3

We get it, NDSU is technically D1, but for traditionalists, it's not the same.

2 Subdivisions for FB only, only 1 Division. DI The aveage person is not very educated on these things, incuding a lot of ADs. (ha,ha)

Lord, who is full of themselves? You guys sell shirts for running the table on the Woffords, Ga. Southerns, and Sam Houston States of the world - a B1G team would have to apologize for that. Sagarin ratings? Really? You conveniently left out that in that same "rating" system - your strength of schedule was 135th!!! You finished 125th in the country last year - congratulations, and I mean that, and go win another one in 2013. But it is was it is - and all you can ever be.

Here is what the next lower division's fans don't get . . . . Minnesota averaged 46.6K attendance per game last year. The extra 4.2K that the Buffaloes bring at say, $40/ticket = $168K in ticket revenue. Even if future non-Division 1-AA opponents don 't fill the place up (there is a good chance they will, AND, the Gophers are improving) . . . we could earn nearly that same amount on the INTEREST WE GET ON OUR $7.0 MLN BTN PAYMENT for ONE year (it will likely go way up from there).

We . . . don't . . . need . . . you . . .

We will be fine financially, and better for it on the field in the long run. Please don't judge yourselves on playing that Brewster "led" 1-11 Minnesota squad in 2006, or that newly coached, established-QB-less 3-9 squad in 2011 - with your best team ever. In reality, you guys are Trevor Berbick.

If this troubles the NDSU fans of the world, join a big boy conference, and this "great affront" will go away.

Incredible.

Beyond NDSU, thank God our days of playing New Hampshire, Indiana State, and Western Illinois are done. Bully for the B1G, I say!!!

If the B1G wants to put itself in a bubble and play with itself, there will be a lot of problems when some teams end up with 1-11, 2-10 records. Not a good idea IMO. The haves and have-nots will form a large chasm. That's why the big conferences play 4 OOC, and load up wth wins in the OOC games. Believe me, playing 12 in the B1G would not benefit MN today . . . it would be painful.

If the B1G wants to put itself in a bubble and play with itself, there will be a lot of problems when some teams end up with 1-11, 2-10 records. Not a good idea IMO. The haves and have-nots will form a large chasm. That's why the big conferences play 4 OOC, and load up wth wins in the OOC games. Believe me, playing 12 in the B1G would not benefit MN today . . . it would be painful.

Please don't advise on degree of difficulty in scheduling for B1G teams. You step up and play 1 "haves" a year. B1G team play (at least) 10. Some play 11.

There is no comparison. Take "degree of difficulty" in diving. You guys do a single pike dive - albeit very well, I would admit. Every B1G team does a triple somersault with a back 2 and 1/2 twist. This is always lost on FCS fans.

Please don't advise on degree of difficulty in scheduling for B1G teams. You step up and play 1 "haves" a year. B1G team play (at least) 10. Some play 11.

There is no comparison. Take "degree of difficulty" in diving. You guys do a single pike dive - albeit very well, I would admit. Every B1G team does a triple somersault with a back 2 and 1/2 twist. This is always lost on FCS fans.

Agreed, no question. But the MAC, Sunbelt, MWC and CUSA are also FBS. Is the B1G going to stop playing them? Not much difference in on the field quality vs. the best FCS conference. Again, look at the Sagarins if you don't believe me, with both FCS and these conferences stepping up to play the better FBS teams 1-3 times per year. Ya, there are some really bad FCS teams (some have no schaolarships at all).

Biggest bonus is that after this thread dies, we'll probably never see another Bison fan again. . .

Oh wait, I'm sure we'll hear from them every time one of their third-stringers scores a touchdown that he was another guy the Gophers missed.

Agreed, no question. But the MAC, Sunbelt, MWC and CUSA are also FBS. Is the B1G going to stop playing them? Not much difference in on the field quality vs. the best FCS conference. Again, look at the Sagarins if you don't believe me, with both FCS and these conferences stepping up to play the better FBS teams 1-3 times per year. Ya, there are some really bad FCS teams (some have no schaolarships at all).

That's really adorable. Now go back and sit at the kid's table where you belong.

While I have no problem with the conference agreeing not to schedule FCS teams not really sure it is something that needs to be mandated. For MN the regional aspect of scheduling a Dakota school does hold more appeal from a fan standpoint then a matchup against some creampuff FBS team. As others have said given the choice I would rather see a game against NDSU than one against New Mexico State. That being said in the end I could care less either way.

Top Bottom