I’m Proud of Our Team

Like Matt Painter and Tom Izzo this season? Or the multiple play by play in game analysts on their broadcasts this season? Or the crew for the B10 studio show this season?

Link? If this is from the previous seasons, as I suspect? If yes, that would mean they were wrong too 👻 🥳 based on our results this season.

Pro Tip: Ben is a Disaster Thread doesn’t count as a source (should I start charging for my tips🤔. I guess I can count this as an alms giving 🤣).

Goal post 🥅 mover alert 🚨. You likely didn’t include it, as that date might contradict your point, Captain Obvious. That is intellectually dishonest, you’re better than that aren’t you?
This type of baloney might work on Tommies, but not a Piper🥳

Thanks for proving my point Soggy.

Goal post 🥅 mover alert 🚨.

I commented on his D, saying that was elite and that he was a good rebounder; I never specifically commented on what his O was. Granted, he may not be “elite”, but he a good defender and rebounder. So I overreached in calling him an elite defender and you, by saying he isn’t a P5 player - we’re both wrong - Yippee 🙌

I’m still trying to figure out how a hoops expert, who’s spent 20 years in gym, and accesses worthless data which he manipulates, could only predict 4-5 wins, in my conference win poll (Pro Tip: you cannot change it🥳).

Oh, I feel better🎊

All tomfoolery aside, I feel sorry for you, as it seems you’d rat be right that Ben is a bad coach, than enjoy an unexpected season if good hoops.

Regardless of what Ben was hired, if he does a good job and we have a good program, sun thst what truly matters.

As my friend Bill once wrote, “All’s well that ends well.”
Let's see if they make the tourney...otherwise it's a 3rd year with no tourney, major blown losses to Mizzou and Iowa (could've helped the cause) and a potential to lose key pieces in the offseason (this will be the norm with NIL every year *for every team.

The bar has been set so low at even if we miss the tourney...and our current NET RANKINGS look bad, we will be happy because of slight progress...progress from dumpster fire to slightly better. Look at the data, does it look peachy?

Let's look at cumulative stats on CBJ:
4-24 Q1 games CBJ's tenure -
7-19 Q2 games
8-4 Q3 games
19-1 Q4 games
-----------------
38-48 total record...but the devil is in the details

2024 team: 16-9 overall, 14-3 @ home, 2-5 road, 7-7 conference | 6-8 in Q1 and Q2 games *with only 1 Quad 1 win *MSU @ home
Quad 1: 1-5
Quad 2: 5-3 (of those Q2 wins...bad Michigan (probably will fire their coach, okay Maryland team...but not good, rebuilding Indiana, rebuilding Penn State (1st year coach)...these are not highlight wins
Quad 3: 1-1
Quad 4: 9-0
*there are only 3 chances for Q1 wins coming up: @Nebraska, @Illinois, @ Northwestern...then a Q2 home vs OSU then a few Q3 games (which they need to win but don't really beef up a resume)

2023 team: 9-22 overall, 6-11 @ home, 1-9 road, 2-17 conference | 3-19 in Q1 and Q2 games
Quad 1: 1-9
Quad 2: 2-10
Quad 3: 1-2
Quad 4: 5-1

2022 team: 13-17 overall, 8-7 @ home, 3-9 road, 2-1 neutral| 2-17 conference | 2-16 in Q1 and Q2 games
Quad 1: 2-10
Quad 2: 0-6
Quad 3: 6-1
Quad 4: 5-0

Let's see if they make the tourney...otherwise it's a 3rd year with no tourney, major blown losses to Mizzou and Iowa (could've helped the cause) and a potential to lose key pieces in the offseason (this will be the norm with NIL every year *for every team.

The bar has been set so low at even if we miss the tourney...and our current NET RANKINGS look bad, we will be happy because of slight progress...progress from dumpster fire to slightly better. Look at the data, does it look peachy?

7-19 Q2 games
8-4 Q3 games
19-1 Q4 games
-----------------

2024 team: 16-9 overall, 14-3 @ home, 2-5 road, 7-7 conference | 6-8 in Q1 and Q2 games *with only 1 Quad 1 win *MSU @ home
Quad 2: 5-3 (of those Q2 wins...bad Michigan (probably will fire their coach, okay Maryland team...but not good, rebuilding Indiana, rebuilding Penn State (1st year coach)...these are not highlight wins
*there are only 3 chances for Q1 wins coming up: @Nebraska, @Illinois, @ Northwestern...then a Q2 home vs OSU then a few Q3 games (which they need to win but don't really beef up a resume)

2023 team: 9-22 overall, 6-11 @ home, 1-9 road, 2-17 conference | 3-19 in Q1 and Q2 games

2022 team: 13-17 overall, 8-7 @ home, 3-9 road, 2-1 neutral| 2-17 conference | 2-16 in Q1 and Q2 games
I bet you are a ton of fun at parties.....

Sports should be about entertainment for fans and as a fan I am having a lot of fun watching this team play. I could care less what quad their wins or losses came from.

Some of you get so lost in the analytics or over analysis that you miss out on just enjoying the season, no matter how it turns out. But to each their own I guess.

7-19 Q2 games
8-4 Q3 games
19-1 Q4 games
-----------------

You’re a sad person, whom I pity. You cannot see the Ws through your quads🥳
Are you related to Nate Newton?

I refuted your last argument and called out your BS by not including the non-conference stats and your ridiculous goal 🥅 post moving, so you leapfrog to a totally different subject to try and win an argument with someone whom you’ve never met or will ever meet🥳.

I come on here for fun, camaraderie and jocularity (💩 and giggles), not to try and prove how smart I am or knowledgeable about various sports, so there’s no 🐐 to get, as I am the 🐐🎊.

If we go on an epic run and make a tournament, you and the rest of the Gopherhole Hoops Intelligentsia may well run for the hills and “reinvent” themselves; you could become Linus’ Blanket Guy and GWG, can become Gopher Astronaut Guy.

Meanwhile, I’ll continue to enjoy the season, regardless of the outcome, as they’re my team - Ski U Mah!!

PS - I’m done with this subject matter and won’t be responding back to any of your posts on here. I don’t engage with the intellectually dishonest.
Cheers 🍻

7-19 Q2 games
8-4 Q3 games
19-1 Q4 games
-----------------

Regardless of whether you think he should or not, barring an 0-7 or 1-6 finish, Ben will get year 4. Since that is almost certain to happen, an NIT birth and winning a few games should be the goal, along with returning at least the top 7 guys. And next year is NCAA or bust.

PS - I’m done with this subject matter and won’t be responding back to any of your posts on here. I don’t engage with the intellectually dishonest.
Cheers 🍻

Surprised it took you this long. He's nothing but a nuisance and attention hog. The only communication I would consider is a quick jab, certainly no actual discussions or arguments. At my age, life is too short to waste any of it on people like this.

Surprised it took you this long. He's nothing but a nuisance and attention hog. The only communication I would consider is a quick jab, certainly no actual discussions or arguments. At my age, life is too short to waste any of it on people like this.
I’m a slow learner 😀

It's nice to have Carrington and Mitchell so we can ride Mitchell when he's hot, and play a more steady Carrington when he's not.

Carrington also played a decent amount with Christie on the bench last night.

Would be nice if Mitchell could spell Hawkins a little more at the point - Tough to play Hawkins 40 as we did last night.
Yeah Hawkins needs to get a breather occasionally. I get he's one of our most important players (if not the most) but the dude plays so fast and plays hard every moment he's on the floor, he needs a few minutes to rest in each half

So those multiple people who said that Ben was over his skis on national radio and television, many former NCAA coaches don't count as a plurality...just asking if it's the same definition?

In regards to Carrington's defense...let's actually look at the raw data...

In conference...and I don't count our Non-Conference as it was essentially a D2 schedule...here are the advanced stats (see below image):

DWS
▼ -- Defensive Win Shares; an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player due to their defense.

View attachment 30185
  • Carrington has a Defensive Win Share of .1 - that is tied for 2nd on the team. I guess you can say he is the best big guard defender, but really he is only slightly better than Christie and Mitchell, according to actual data...not feelings.
  • Based on his 0.1 number, here is how he would rank on other B10 teams:
    • T3rd on Purdue
    • T2 on Illinois
    • T1 on NW
    • T5 on MSU
    • T3 on WI
    • T5 on NEB
    • Best on Iowa
    • T2 on Indiana
    • T8 on Rutgers
    • T7 on Maryland
    • 1st on Penn State
    • T1 on OSU
    • 1st on Michigan

View attachment 30187
Now looking at WS/40▼ -- Win Shares Per 40 Minutes; an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player per 40 minutes (average is approximately .100). *again only within the Conference

• Carrington's offense and defensive efforts pretty much do very little over the course of the game (per the data) to win. Some interesting takeaways are the results of Fox, his short stints of high energy are a huge boon for the team, and how low Mitchell is...he is true feast or famine. Also, please don't play Ihnen any more...the data is solid at this point.
  • Based on his 0.054 number, here is how he would rank on other B10 teams:
    • 12th on Purdue
    • 10th on Illinois
    • 8th on NW
    • 11th on MSU
    • 11th on WI
    • 12th on NEB
    • 6th on Iowa
    • 6th on Indiana
    • 10th on Rutgers
    • 4th on Maryland
    • 9th on Penn State
    • 9th on OSU
    • 6th on Michigan

I'd argue Win Shares / 40 is more important than a straight Defensive Win Share metric, thus, if you look at the conference only data, Carrington wouldn't even be cracking the lineup on many of these teams (Purdue, Illinois, MSU, WI, NEB, Rutgers, Penn State, NW, & OSU)...let's stop talking about how irreplaceable his skill set is...just stop. He's a good defender...not elite...but his offense is so horrendous it kills what his defense does for the team while he is on the floor...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/minnesota/men/2024.html

lol.....Carrington would likely be one of.....if not the best player on St. Thomas.

So those multiple people who said that Ben was over his skis on national radio and television, many former NCAA coaches don't count as a plurality...just asking if it's the same definition?

In regards to Carrington's defense...let's actually look at the raw data...

In conference...and I don't count our Non-Conference as it was essentially a D2 schedule...here are the advanced stats (see below image):

DWS
▼ -- Defensive Win Shares; an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player due to their defense.

View attachment 30185
  • Carrington has a Defensive Win Share of .1 - that is tied for 2nd on the team. I guess you can say he is the best big guard defender, but really he is only slightly better than Christie and Mitchell, according to actual data...not feelings.
  • Based on his 0.1 number, here is how he would rank on other B10 teams:
    • T3rd on Purdue
    • T2 on Illinois
    • T1 on NW
    • T5 on MSU
    • T3 on WI
    • T5 on NEB
    • Best on Iowa
    • T2 on Indiana
    • T8 on Rutgers
    • T7 on Maryland
    • 1st on Penn State
    • T1 on OSU
    • 1st on Michigan

View attachment 30187
Now looking at WS/40▼ -- Win Shares Per 40 Minutes; an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player per 40 minutes (average is approximately .100). *again only within the Conference

• Carrington's offense and defensive efforts pretty much do very little over the course of the game (per the data) to win. Some interesting takeaways are the results of Fox, his short stints of high energy are a huge boon for the team, and how low Mitchell is...he is true feast or famine. Also, please don't play Ihnen any more...the data is solid at this point.
  • Based on his 0.054 number, here is how he would rank on other B10 teams:
    • 12th on Purdue
    • 10th on Illinois
    • 8th on NW
    • 11th on MSU
    • 11th on WI
    • 12th on NEB
    • 6th on Iowa
    • 6th on Indiana
    • 10th on Rutgers
    • 4th on Maryland
    • 9th on Penn State
    • 9th on OSU
    • 6th on Michigan

I'd argue Win Shares / 40 is more important than a straight Defensive Win Share metric, thus, if you look at the conference only data, Carrington wouldn't even be cracking the lineup on many of these teams (Purdue, Illinois, MSU, WI, NEB, Rutgers, Penn State, NW, & OSU)...let's stop talking about how irreplaceable his skill set is...just stop. He's a good defender...not elite...but his offense is so horrendous it kills what his defense does for the team while he is on the floor...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/minnesota/men/2024.html
Skewed stats. He is usually guarding their best scorer

Well at least the complaining is about good things like a good player and the team fun to watch but probably not in the Tournament.

7-19 Q2 games
8-4 Q3 games
19-1 Q4 games
-----------------

Wet - the conversation is essentially solved on Ben. He is going to be the coach next year. Get used to it. There have been times I wanted him fired even this year- but it is now clear that he has made a nice step forward and will keep his job. Is it good enough for any of us? No. It is a move in the right direction.

Ignore works well.

They aren't over rated. But they are, as. you say, very susceptible to style differences, speed and if Edey gets in foul trouble then they are just a standard, good but not great team. If Edey stays on the court- they are pretty tough to beat. They have a great player in Smith and good complimentary guys and they all understand that it starts and ends with Edey.
Purdue also couldn’t guard a mid major. Still is a lack of lateral quickness that will limit them.

Wet - the conversation is essentially solved on Ben. He is going to be the coach next year. Get used to it. There have been times I wanted him fired even this year- but it is now clear that he has made a nice step forward and will keep his job. Is it good enough for any of us? No. It is a move in the right direction.
I understand this. My concern is he will get the extension, and we will have unforeseen events this off-season (Garcia decides not to play a fifth season, one of the other players takes an NIL offer from a big program, a huge long-shot…Christie is taking on a late first round flier by a team like OKC who owns ~20 1st round picks)…then the program will be brutal next year and we’ll essentially be starting over…rebuilding (again).

Yeah Hawkins needs to get a breather occasionally. I get he's one of our most important players (if not the most) but the dude plays so fast and plays hard every moment he's on the floor, he needs a few minutes to rest in each half
Agreed - More likely to see a couple more mistakes from him as he wears down near end of game when he's gotta go 40.

I understand this. My concern is he will get the extension, and we will have unforeseen events this off-season (Garcia decides not to play a fifth season, one of the other players takes an NIL offer from a big program, a huge long-shot…Christie is taking on a late first round flier by a team like OKC who owns ~20 1st round picks)…then the program will be brutal next year and we’ll essentially be starting over…rebuilding (again).
That's going to be the case every year, no matter who the coach is.
BJ has shown an ability to identify, recruit and land some decent players both from the HS ranks and even a few in the portal. He's also shown he can actually coach the game of basketball. That should help him in recruiting going forward.

That's going to be the case every year, no matter who the coach is.
BJ has shown an ability to identify, recruit and land some decent players both from the HS ranks and even a few in the portal. He's also shown he can actually coach the game of basketball. That should help him in recruiting going forward.
Good post.

I think the team has good chemistry. It’s also fun to build something together and achieve things that didn’t seem probable - that’s psychologically very powerful.

Last edited:

You could idiotically bring in a new coach next year and still have all the potential player losses cited above. The new coach would be rebuilding again.

If key players see it in their best interest to leave Johnson is the best bet to rebuild. He has already proved that by rebuilding the worst P6 program in the country.

You could idiotically bring in a new coach next year and still have all the potential player losses cited above. The new coach would be rebuilding again.

If key players see it in their best interest to leave Johnson is the best bet to rebuild. He has already proved that by rebuilding the worst P6 program in the country.

We aren't even the worst P6 program in the B1G let alone the country.

I don't know if it has been said anywhere in this thread (it probably has, so I apologize).

It's very refreshing we are playing our best ball in February. Even with Tubby and Pitino's tournament teams, it felt like we were constantly sliding at this part of the season, trying to hang on for dear life. Now, there are some exceptions, notably:
  • Pitino's 16/17 team
  • Tubby's 09/10 team
But generally, Feb/March has been a time of mourning and lament over the past few decades.

Looking back at some of those preseason blemishes (Mizz, USF), it's a weird feeling to confidently think, "We'd handle these teams with ease if we played them again." I feel the same way about Ohio State, and thankfully, we'll get our chance on Thursday!

I know we're still on the outside looking in regarding the tourney, but if there were ever a team to make a run, this team has the makeup to do it.

God, you are tiring.

And all of that could happen if Ben is fired in the offseason...

Top Bottom