I’m Proud of Our Team

I guess when I think a number 2 ranked team I think a team with a true shot to win the title…Purdue is not that.

Historically, they crap the bed in the ncaa tourney under Painter. Plus even with Edey getting his, they play a style of ball, that is so Edey focused that doesn’t really develop really good other player players. They are the equivalent of Tennessee in my mind. A really tough regular season team who grinds you down, but when you space them out with four shooters / four guards who are fast / can all dribble drive…in a one game series…if they get hot, Purdue loses every time, and it’s they track record in the NCAA tourney.

With Edey, he’s such a unicorn, but he being such a unicorn he makes it that Purdue can’t make adjustments on the fly. Do you see Edey doing pick and roll defense on the perimeter? No. They can only play a certain way to gif his uniqueness. And when that fails, they can’t adjust…because he would be out on an island and carved up.
Much better said.

In terms of top 5 level teams in NCAA basketball history, they seem off.

Imagine them against 91 UNLV (who obviously didnt win). Stacy Augmon, Anderson Hunt, Elmore Spencer, Greg Anthony, Larry Johnson. It’d be like they were a high school squad.

Shoot I doubt they could have beaten Loyola from that period with Kimble and Gathers.

I think Matt Painter is loving NIL and Transfer portal. It makes it easier to coach against other teams that think it can be done easily in 1 year.

When they are on they are really really good....
What does this mean?

When any team in college BB shoots it like they did in the first half vs Iowa or Purdue, that team can be consider "really really good".

Playing devils advocate here, what is the score last night if the Gopher shoot it at their normal % in the first half?

What does this mean?

When any team in college BB shoots it like they did in the first half vs Iowa or Purdue, that team can be consider "really really good".

Playing devils advocate here, what is the score last night if the Gopher shoot it at their normal % in the first half?
Do your own math?

Much better said.

Imagine them against 91 UNLV (who obviously didnt win). Stacy Augmon, Anderson Hunt, Elmore Spencer, Greg Anthony, Larry Johnson. It’d be like they were a high school squad.

Shoot I doubt they could have beaten Loyola from that period with Kimble and Gathers.

I think Matt Painter is loving NIL and Transfer portal. It makes it easier to coach against other teams that think it can be done easily in 1 year.
My gawd, I just realized that the auto-correct on my post makes it look like I’m a schizophrenic.

Much better said.

They would pummel any team from 91.

Athletes in every sport at every level are so far ahead of 91 it's not even funny.

I need to check this thread again after the 2nd round as Purdue will not make the sweet 16. Guaranteed.

Still disappointed in seeing Fox play backup center over Wilson. Fox is a smart player but is a 3 or 4 at most.

Wilson getting 2 points when rolling to the lane is my other guarantee in this post.

Response to the original post:
All I can say is that I’m not embarrassed by our team, like I was for the past two seasons. I have been somewhat proud of our tournament teams and very proud of our conference champions. I’m probably showing my age, though, because my formative years were long before participation ribbons/trophies.

What does this mean?

Thats a stupid what if. The Gophers shot well because they had good open looks, which Purdue took away most of them in the 2 nd half.
What is the final score if they actually called all the fouls on Zach Edey during the game? Gophers win by 10.

And I'm glad his nuts are OK!
Everyone here
Purdue isn't incredibly overrated. They are not unbeatable and could definitely get knocked out in the tournament if they get the wrong matchup or Edey gets in foul trouble. But that doesn't change the fact that they are a very good team and have a player that is a massive matchup problem for pretty much every college basketball team because they just don't have players his size to compete.

Purdue has beaten 5 teams that were ranked in the top 10 at the time they played them. They might not win it all but they are almost certainly going to be a #1 seed and are easily one of the best teams in college basketball this season.
Them losing in the first round again would be..... Fairleigh hilarious 😁😁😁

Response to the original post:
All I can say is that I’m not embarrassed by our team, like I was for the past two seasons. I have been somewhat proud of our tournament teams and very proud of our conference champions. I’m probably showing my age, though, because my formative years were long before participation ribbons/trophies.
Now you’re with the kool kids 🏅🏆

Are you sure your account was hacked?
The gophers are the greatest team in the big ten. The have the greatest coach under 50 years old in the ncaa. We will own the transfer portal this year. We have unlimited depth at wing, guard, and center…and our arena is a major draw. “Common man voice” - it’s all been a hack

Thats a stupid what if. The Gophers shot well because they had good open looks, which Purdue took away most of them in the 2 nd half.
What is the final score if they actually called all the fouls on Zach Edey during the game? Gophers win by 10.

I've come to understand that some people posting here are so mentally invested in the Gophers being terrible and the anticipated demise of Ben Johnson that they have to discount any victory or even a close effort. After the Gophers beat Michigan State, a poster (I won't identify him) in the "Ben Johnson is a Disaster" thread practically was crying that Johnson was now very likely to be here at least another year. I haven't seen him post on this board since (although I've seen him post on the football board).

The gophers are the greatest team in the big ten. The have the greatest coach under 50 years old in the ncaa. We will own the transfer portal this year. We have unlimited depth at wing, guard, and center…and our arena is a major draw. “Common man voice” - it’s all been a hack

If you think you are a comedian, I would advise you to hold off on going pro.

I've come to understand that some people posting here are so mentally invested in the Gophers being terrible and the anticipated demise of Ben Johnson that they have to discount any victory or even a close effort. After the Gophers beat Michigan State, a poster (I won't identify him) in the "Ben Johnson is a Disaster" thread practically was crying that Johnson was now very likely to be here at least another year. I haven't seen him post on this board since (although I've seen him post on the football board).

Stupid. It's a message board. You're going to get every opinion there can possibly be.

Any concern with blowing back to back double digit half time leads?

I think your understanding would be way off the mark. But hey, that's just you being you.

I could be wrong, I often am. I’m secure enough in myself to admit that.

And yourself, Dr. Naismith?

Is that the best material you can come up with now? Gophers don't have Michael Jordan coming off the bench depth?

It shows the program is up. Your material to work with last season was a buffet, but now that's what you bring.

Stupid. It's a message board. You're going to get every opinion there can possibly be.

Yes, and my opinion is that some people who post here are real twerps. It's not like you haven't voiced a similar opinion even more strongly on multiple occasions.

I could be wrong, I often am. I’m secure enough in myself to admit that.

And yourself, Dr. Naismith?
I’m wrong on Fox. I thought he would be a corpse, but he has proven to a modern medical marvel. He is a decent energy guy (not much more than that), but every team needs a good energy guy for 4-8 minutes a game.

I’m right on Carrington (piss poor shooter who shouldn’t be in P5) and Ihnan being cooked.

We can’t say I’m wrong or right on CBJ (I’m clearly anti-CBJ). Yes they had a decent 4 game stretch over the last few weeks, but they still have a chance to finish near the bottom of the big 10 in his third season. I also believe Garcia will be gone next year (pro ball over seas or a big 1 year NIL deal *if he can be a graduate transfer)…and that would greatly hurt the team in his year four…

I’m wrong on Fox. I thought he would be a corpse, but he has proven to a modern medical marvel. He is a decent energy guy (not much more than that), but every team needs a good energy guy for 4-8 minutes a game.

No one “knew”, the best we could do was hope he would be a contributor.
I’m right on Carrington (piss poor shooter who shouldn’t be in P5) and Ihnan being cooked.
Carrington is an elite defender by any measure and is also a good rebounding guard, pulling down almost 4 per game.

I think he is a valuable asset to the team.

So you didn’t have any opinion on Hawkins & Mitchell? They have outperformed my expectations. I’m guessing that is likely for most, if not all, of the posters.

We can’t say I’m wrong or right on CBJ (I’m clearly anti-CBJ). Yes they had a decent 4 game stretch over the last few weeks, but they still have a chance to finish near the bottom of the big 10 in his third season.
They still gave a chance to finish in the top half as well.
I also believe Garcia will be gone next year (pro ball over seas or a big 1 year NIL deal *if he can be a graduate transfer)…and that would greatly hurt the team in his year four…
No one knows at this point; I can see Garcia staying and not transferring due to his family, but only time will tell.

Hopefully you’re rooting to be wrong rather right regarding CBJ.

Last edited:

Top Bottom