I’m Proud of Our Team

Who would ever stoop that low? 🤔 John Wooden was an excellent basketball coach, and he hired great players!

Most of his teams also operated in the era where there weren't numerical restrictions on scholarships (just had to be a student) and the number of relevant teams around the country was smaller so he could load his team with really good players.

The reputation of Wooden teams was so strong that one didn't even have to be a starter to get pro consideration. Swen Nater was Bill Walton's backup. He averaged 3.2 points and 3.3 rebounds in his last season at UCLA. He was the 16th pick in the NBA draft in 1973 but opted to start his career in the ABA instead and went to the NBA when the ABA folded. He averaged 12.4 points and 11.6 rebounds over his 11 year ABA/NBA career.

What a wonderful run we’re on.

Marching into March.

Stinkin Lincoln you’re next

Coach of the year in CBJ. Look at how we take care of business. This isn't something we have seen in a long while. I truly LOVE this team. Brace yourselves. Illinois is possible.

Good to see CBJ and the Gophers making strides. It sounds like we're still on the outside looking in tournament wise. I wonder if we hold on against Iowa and Missouri, how much that moves the needle. Iowa would've been a quality road win, Missouri being a tough Q3 loss.

Good to see CBJ and the Gophers making strides. It sounds like we're still on the outside looking in tournament wise. I wonder if we hold on against Iowa and Missouri, how much that moves the needle. Iowa would've been a quality road win, Missouri being a tough Q3 loss.
VC - two games handled and no real turmoil. Embrace this. Our fear resides in the past. Give them a chance and believe. This team is seriously special.

VC - two games handled and no real turmoil. Embrace this. Our fear resides in the past. Give them a chance and believe. This team is seriously special.
I do not want to spark controversy, but I think we have a legitimate coach. Check the run and stats. This was a solid game as was Rutgers. All season improvement and he knows about rotation trouble. Battle had some wild threes that kept them in it but overall it was a really solid coaching job.

GUYS! Embrace it! We finally have something special - no one player, but a team and a good coach. HOLY SHIT1

What is VC? How much difference do those games make in our NCAA chances?

And I agree, this is a special team, for me because it's been a while since I've seen the Gophers play competitive basketball consistently. I was in Des Moines when we beat Louisville in 2019, our last tournament appearance. Our seats were right above the tunnel where there Gophers locker room was, still remember cheering on Oturu, Coffey, McBayer, Kalscheur, and Murphy after the game after they left the court!

They had their moments but then figured out how to slay it.

I'm a bit concerned how any freshman (Christie) getting attention from Big Ten opponents performs, feedback, and then how he adapts. Stay tuned.

I hope the Disaster guys are able to enjoy the fun that this season is turning into. Seriously
I mean at this point anyone that is not enjoying this season is just simply not a Gopher fan. There are things to improve on and ways the team can get even better but this team is just flat out fun to watch.

Ben Johnson has 1000% done enough at this point to earn year 4 (to me he got there a while ago but I know there were still some holdouts).

Now his biggest job will become making sure these guys want to come back next year and then finding a way to add around a strong core to take that next step.

Also, we should have a thread on Drew Everson. What a beautiful story and person.
I mean at this point anyone that is not enjoying this season is just simply not a Gopher fan. There are things to improve on and ways the team can get even better but this team is just flat out fun to watch.

Ben Johnson has 1000% done enough at this point to earn year 4 (to me he got there a while ago but I know there were still some holdouts).

Now his biggest job will become making sure these guys want to come back next year and then finding a way to add around a strong core to take that next step.
put on your dancing shoes. Where is SelectionSunday when you need him. I think our NET and Kenpom supports it

Excellent rebound from Nebby, thanks guys for an excellent 20 minutes, 20 more please and keep pushing them and score the unlikely upset.

Excellent rebound from Nebby, thanks guys for an excellent 20 minutes, 20 more please and keep pushing them and score the unlikely upset.
Excellent evening of entertainment and great to see us compete for the full 40.

This game and the Purdue game show the quantum leaps made from last year to this and that we have a chance to have an actual basketball program again as we did during Clem’s tenure. They’re just much deeper than we are.

I posted the highlights in the other thread. Wow, non-stop slugfest back and forth against #13 Illinois. Payne was like, Dunk. Dunk. Dunk.

At the end the announcer says:

"And Illinois is going to survive a scare from the Golden Gophers of Minnesota."

Per the B10 Postgame Show -

That’s the most combined points scored in a B10 game in 50 years. It was an anomaly
and we basically just watched a once in a lifetime event.

Both teams shot 60% from the floor - can’t ever recall seeing that prior.
@SelectionSunday Have you ever seen that? I’m asking as you probably watch as much hoop as anyone on here. Thanks.

I guessing some of the anti-moral victory crowd weighed in as that’s their schtick.

They seemingly confuse accepting and appreciating progress of the implemented process with passivity and or weakness.
You generally don’t go from a to f, without going through b,c,d & e first. I knew the alphabet would come in handy- thanks Mrs. Martinson.

I fully expect us to win the next three and secure the coveted over. 500 in conference winning %; the fact that has only happened 2 times since the 2000 season, demonstrates how pedestrian a basketball program we have. This allows us to go on a roll into the conference tournament and build for next year

The two glory eras we have had in my lifetime of being an active fan, were Dutch and Clem, who built their programs, which Ben is doing now.

I’m very happy with that trajectory. It’s a process and takes time. I don’t think making the tournament in the 4th year is off putting from where we started.

People want results, but results are from a process and it requires patience.

NYC out 🎤
☮️

Last edited:

That’s the most combined points scored in a B10 game in 50 years. It was an anomaly

@SelectionSunday Have you ever seen that? I’m asking as you probably watch as much hoop as anyone on here. Thanks.

I guessing some of the anti-moral victory crowd weighed in as that’s their schtick.

They seemingly confuse accepting and appreciating progress of the implemented process with passivity and or weakness.
You generally don’t go from a to f, without going through b,c,d & e first. I knew the alphabet would come in handy- thanks Mrs. Martinson.

I fully expect us to win the next three and secure the coveted over. 500 in conference winning %; the fact that has only happened 2 times since the 2000 season, demonstrates how pedestrian a basketball program we have. This allows us to go on a roll into the conference tournament and build for next year

The two glory eras we had in my lifetime of being an active fan, were Dutch and Clem, who built their programs, which Ben is doing now.

I’m very happy with that trajectory. It’s a process and takes time. I don’t think making the tournament in the 4th year is off putting from where we started.

NYC out 🎤
☮️
Wild that Gophs fans are being coached to have more patience.

The two glory eras we have had in my lifetime of being an active fan, were Dutch and Clem, who built their programs, which Ben is doing now.

NYC out 🎤
☮️
that was a fun game to watch.

if they can keep there top guys and convince a solid back up center to come here this team could be a dangerous year next year.....
it all starts with Garcia sticking around

NYC out 🎤
☮️
Maybe back in the Loyola Marymount Hank Gathers/Bo Kimble/Jeff Fryer days? They could fill it up, and they didn't play any defense.

It's nice to have multiple guys that can put the ball in the basket, but it's still just a loss.

Have to win these next two at home (no excuse not to), and then Weakling Wednesday will be completely in the rear view mirror.

that was a fun game to watch.

if they can keep there top guys and convince a solid back up center to come here this team could be a dangerous year next year.....
it all starts with Garcia sticking around
I think he’s just starting to grasp how good he can truly be and coming back next year allows him to actualize it , he can be All B10, honorable mention AA level or higher(?). He’s made tremendous progress from last year to this year - fun to watch.

I don’t know if he can stick in the NBA on a roster, but playing in Europe for a dozen years, sounds pretty good.

Maybe back in the Loyola Marymount Hank Gathers/Bo Kimble/Jeff Fryer days? They could fill it up, and they didn't play any defense.

It's nice to have multiple guys that can put the ball in the basket, but it's still just a loss.

Have to win these next two at home (no excuse not to), and then Weakling Wednesday will be completely in the rear view mirror.
Let’s be greedy and get all three and have the Target Center rocking.

Top Bottom