I’m Proud of Our Team

Changing the subject.

The Purdue game was fun, leading at half. To me that kinda was a win. A milestone. Now keep it going a whole game.

With Rutgers there was a slip but they held. Great game by Payne.

Update: That Michigan State game on Peacock was phenomenal to watch.

I understand this. My concern is he will get the extension, and we will have unforeseen events this off-season (Garcia decides not to play a fifth season, one of the other players takes an NIL offer from a big program, a huge long-shot…Christie is taking on a late first round flier by a team like OKC who owns ~20 1st round picks)…then the program will be brutal next year and we’ll essentially be starting over…rebuilding (again).
I understand. My concern is that the earth will be struck by an unknown meteor, causing untold deaths and destruction. And even before that happens, I'll be killed when a drunken bus driver runs me over on a city sidewalk. I suppose then everything will have to be rebuilt again.

I understand this. My concern is he will get the extension, and we will have unforeseen events this off-season (Garcia decides not to play a fifth season, one of the other players takes an NIL offer from a big program, a huge long-shot…Christie is taking on a late first round flier by a team like OKC who owns ~20 1st round picks)…then the program will be brutal next year and we’ll essentially be starting over…rebuilding (again).
Even if Ben gets an extension of some kind, Coyle isn't going to be ok with the team slipping back to the bottom and going through a total rebuild again. If that happens, Johnson will get fired and they will bring in someone else.

But my honest question to you and other fans that think this way about things......why choose to worry like this about something you have zero control over? We don't know what is going to happen in 24-25 and beyond with the basketball program. All we can do as fans is hope that the positive signs we are seeing this year continue and the team keeps improving.

The college football and basketball landscape is a mess right now. It sucks for fans because it makes it really hard to know what is going to happen with your favorite squad in the future. So best advice is to enjoy the present and let the rest take care of itself. No point in complaining about or worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet and might not.

Changing the subject.

The Purdue game was fun, leading at half. To me that kinda was a win. A milestone. Now keep it going a whole game.

With Rutgers there was a slip but they held. Great game by Payne.

Update: That Michigan State game on Peacock was phenomenal to watch.
This team is playing well right now and isn't far off from being in the midst of a 7 game winning streak with a little bit more consistency.

And really, that is the most important thing for any team, to be playing their best in the later part of the season.

Going to be really interesting to see how the seeding shakes out for the Big Ten Tournament. If the fans can turn Target Center into a home court environment for the Gophers it could be fun because Big Ten teams have really struggled on the road this season.

and in 2016, 2018, etc etc

We've endured plenty of horrible seasons recently
In fairness to those still hung up on the last 2 years....they were really bad....especially last year. But this is a different team and on a much different trajectory.

I like the analogy that Garyisawinner posted about the rearview mirror. The past is important and shouldn't be forgotten but the focus should be on the future and at the moment the future of this program looks promising.

In fairness to those still hung up on the last 2 years....they were really bad....especially last year.

Yeah, so what? I was around here for Pitino's awful 3rd year and his really good 4th year. I don't remember people referring so much to the bad past when the team was surprising us in year 4. Mostly people were excited about the turnaround from the prior season. Of course, we didn't have a "Richard Pitino is a Disaster" thread that was 148 pages long back then.

I wouldn't give a second thought about "fairness" to the people you refer to. The worst offenders in that group wouldn't give two shits about how you feel. If the team was still struggling this season, they would be jeering and mocking people like you every chance they got. Hell, USAF is still doing it now.

Yeah, so what? I was around here for Pitino's awful 3rd year and his really good 4th year. I don't remember people referring so much to the bad past when the team was surprising us in year 4. Mostly people were excited about the turnaround from the prior season. Of course, we didn't have a "Richard Pitino is a Disaster" thread that was 148 pages long back then.

I wouldn't give a second thought about "fairness" to the people you refer to. The worst offenders in that group wouldn't give two shits about how you feel. If the team was still struggling this season, they would be jeering and mocking people like you every chance they got. Hell, USAF is still doing it now.
Don't read too much into that line you quoted....it was mostly a throw away line to say that I get why there is the negativity there is about the first two seasons is all. :)

I'm just glad that it is fun to read the basketball board again. Even though there are still some overly negative posters for the most part they have been kept at bay by the way the team has played this year.

Unfortunately some of that negativity has started to seep into the football board. Football forum was rough after Fleck was first hired because there were some hanging onto Kill and others that couldn't stand PJ's personality. That mostly went away as the team had success but this past season woke some of those negative voices up again.

Baseketball board is on a similar trajectory. Those that were over the top negative about the hire and the way the team played over the first few years have far less to say now without just seeming foolish for still complaining. Hopefully the success continues and it is a while before people have reasons (real or imaginary) to complain again.

Part of that was his first year Pitino won a ton of games and the NIT Tourny.

I'm just asking how awful they were the last 2 months of the season. I forgot. It's almost like the players quit and the coach got fired in his 8th season for it. My memory might be fading though.

I wouldn't say they quit on him. They just lost games against good teams(for the most part). They lost to Rutgers in the season finale in OT, beat NW then lost by 4 to #2 seed OSU in the BTT.

The Gophers weren't among the worst major college basketball teams when Johnson took over.
However, they became one shortly thereafter.
Incorrect. The program was bottom of the list when he got started.

Robbins, Carr, Mashburn, and Gabe were gone no matter who was hired. There was no one else that any coach wanted except for Brandon Johnson. Maybe another coach could have retained him.

Nobody hired would have cared if Tre Williams and Gach left. Martice Mitchell, Sam Freeman, Omersa ... no.

Part of that was his first year Pitino won a ton of games and the NIT Tourny.

Yes, I remember. And Pitino's 4th year was better than Johnson's 3rd year as well.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Pitino deserved the same abuse that Johnson got in this last year. I'm saying that the online gang abuse that Johnson received here over the last year was disgraceful and the primary perpetrators of that deserve no consideration at all.

Yes, I remember. And Pitino's 4th year was better than Johnson's 3rd year as well.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Pitino deserved the same abuse that Johnson got in this last year. I'm saying that the online lynch mob abuse that Johnson received here over the last year was disgraceful and the primary perpetrators of that deserve no consideration at all.
Pitino left the cupboards bare. It stands to reason it would take some time to rebuild the program. I like the progress he's made and believe he's earned the opportunity to continue building. If he continues to be successful and can recruit most of Minnesota's finest HS players, we will be happy we practiced some patience.

Incorrect. The program was bottom of the list when he got started.

Robbins, Carr, Mashburn, and Gabe were gone no matter who was hired. There was no one else that any coach wanted except for Brandon Johnson. Maybe another coach could have retained him.

Nobody hired would have cared if Tre Williams and Gach left. Martice Mitchell, Sam Freeman, Omersa ... no.

If I were you, I'd just ignore him. His story will never change.

Pitino left the cupboards bare. It stands to reason it would take some time to rebuild the program. I like the progress he's made and believe he's earned the opportunity to continue building. If he continues to be successful and can recruit most of Minnesota's finest HS players, we will be happy we practiced some patience.

You and me both!

I'm just asking how awful they were the last 2 months of the season. I forgot. It's almost like the players quit and the coach got fired in his 8th season for it. My memory might be fading though.

Your memory is fine.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Pitino deserved the same abuse that Johnson got in this last year. I'm saying that the online gang abuse that Johnson received here over the last year was disgraceful and the primary perpetrators of that deserve no consideration at all.

Well I am not sure I have ever been in that thread but I remember a lot of the whining when he was hired so I don't doubt it. But I do believe if Pitino had stunk it up year 1 there would have been quite a bit of people wanting him gone since he was a reach anyways. Not in the same way though.

Well I am not sure I have ever been in that thread but I remember a lot of the whining when he was hired so I don't doubt it. But I do believe if Pitino had stunk it up year 1 there would have been quite a bit of people wanting him gone since he was a reach anyways. Not in the same way though.
There was plenty of anti Pitino sentiment immediately out of the gate that never subsided. Much of it for one of the same reasons Ben was critiqued. Not enough experience to be coaching at this level.

There was plenty of anti Pitino sentiment immediately out of the gate that never subsided. Much of it for one of the same reasons Ben was critiqued. Not enough experience to be coaching at this level.
And yet we (MN AD) doubled down and hired a guy with even LESS (HC) experience.

I like the progress Ben is making. I'm also proud of this team and what the coach and players are accomplishing.

The gophers could hire John Wooden reincarnated and someone on GH would bitch about it asking who his "bagman" is. Well, maybe not since it is legal (NIL) now.

And yet we (MN AD) doubled down and hired a guy with even LESS (HC) experience.

I like the progress Ben is making. I'm also proud of this team and what the coach and players are accomplishing.

The gophers could hire John Wooden reincarnated and someone on GH would bitch about it asking who his "bagman" is. Well, maybe not since it is legal (NIL) now.
Who would ever stoop that low? 🤔 John Wooden was an excellent basketball coach, and he hired great players!

Top Bottom