Great! Tinsley DUI, Fleeing Police..

CRG - I do agree with you as far as the legal ramifications. I don't think much will happen in that respect.

As far as what Brew should do - I differ with you. And this is if what is being reported is true - and he is guilty of it (as of right now, he is only charged). If this isn't dismissal stuff, what is? We are not talking about the kid getting a drinking ticket here. We are talking about two felonies and three misdemeanors (after an incident last fall). Keep in mind - we have a guy on the basketball team charged with a felony and by all accounts, appears to be innocent, but sat our for a year (there has to be some consistency).

The fact is, we're not a New Year's Day bowl team - yet we certainly see to have the legal issues. I completely understand you take the good with the bad, and to get talent here, Brew had to take risks on a number of kids...but they simply don't seem to be panning out. We're not winning on the field, and we're certainly not being represented well off the field.

I have to agree with you here, no different than basketball players, I would try to keep him with the program though, he doesn't play next year period. If he can't agree with that, adios.

Incorrect

I am not defending Tinsley here, but let's assume the recent reports are true that there is not a DWI charge, and also that Tinsley, as a first time offender gets the felony fleeing police pled down to a misdemeanor of some kind. If that is the case Tinsley's crimes pale in comparison to Royce White being busted for theft twice in a week.

Shoplifting compared with DWI and fleeing police. What parallel universe are you living in.

Remain calm. This really isn´t that big of a deal and I´ll tell you why.

Because Tinsley has never been convicted of a crime at this point (charges from one previous incident were dropped I believe?) so he´s a first strike guy in the eyes of the law. They´ve already dropped the DUI so now it´s just evading the police. I´m no lawyer but I imagine It´ll get pled down to a misdemenor and something like 40 hours of community service and an alcohol awareness class.

While Tinsley´s not going to get in any real trouble with the law, he IS goiing to be in trouble with Brew! The cops may have dropped the charges but it´s still Tinsley´s second incident that´s caused embarassment for the team. That said Brew´s gotta win now, so it´s no time to be making examples of people. This should merit something like a two game suspension for the first two non conference games. Maybe just the spring game and the opener? This is not dimissal stuff.

As for the legal issues under Brew, we´re still light years behind the top NCAA teams. If we want to be a NYD bowl team we need to get comfortable with the fact that NYD bowl teams have more legal issues than we´re accustomed to having. Some won´t like to hear this but it´s the truth. If you want pure student athletes then get season tickets to a MIAC school.

^^^ This. A few of you guys are a little reactionary. This will definitely be plead down to a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor. By no means am I condoning what he did and its definitely more than stupid but cops on campus probably deal with students running after leaving a party on almost a daily basis (and its probably something many of us have done when we were in college - though probably not on a moped). If he were charged with an assault or burglary then its much more serious and he is likely gone but I'm guessing this will get him community service and a couple game suspension (not to mention a discussion with Brew and Maturi about this being strike 2). Also, to the person who said Iowa players who do something similar are no longer on the team, you need to do some more research (i.e. J. Ferentz, Clayborn, Calloway, etc.). Clayborn punched a guy in face and didn't miss a game (or maybe even a practice).

Tinsley will never play a down for the Gophers. We don't need bad seeds like this.

CRG - I do agree with you as far as the legal ramifications. I don't think much will happen in that respect.

As far as what Brew should do - I differ with you. And this is if what is being reported is true - and he is guilty of it (as of right now, he is only charged). If this isn't dismissal stuff, what is? We are not talking about the kid getting a drinking ticket here. We are talking about two felonies and three misdemeanors (after an incident last fall). Keep in mind - we have a guy on the basketball team charged with a felony and by all accounts, appears to be innocent, but sat our for a year (there has to be some consistency).

The fact is, we're not a New Year's Day bowl team - yet we certainly see to have the legal issues. I completely understand you take the good with the bad, and to get talent here, Brew had to take risks on a number of kids...but they simply don't seem to be panning out. We're not winning on the field, and we're certainly not being represented well off the field.

Edit: Looks like we're tied for 21st in the Fulmer Cup http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Fulmer_Cup

GL can't disagree with you more on this. What Trevor is charged with is about a million times more serious than Tinsley. He is charged with punching a woman in the face and attempting to pull her pants down. Up to this point we don't even know what Tinsley will ultimately be charged with. It will almost be certainly plead down to a misedemeanor or gross misdemeanor. Also, we have no idea if Trevor is truly inncocent. If there wasn't enough evidence to go to trial, he wouldn't be going to trial. While I hope he is innocent, to say "by all accounts he appears to be inncocent" is strictly an opinion based on what you hear from third parties. His guilt or inncocence will be determined in a court of law as well it should. Regarding Tinsley, I would call this strike 2 and next minor infraction he is gone. This was definitely stupid on his part and he needs to be punished (at least a suspension, etc.). Finally, regarding your comment about Brew recruits not panning out, I think thats a little over the top. His first real class will be juniors next year and while he has had a few issues there have been no more than almost any other big program (and mostly less issues). This year will be a good measure to see if that talent he has been stockpiling can win and will really determine Brew's future here.

Tinsley will never play a down for the Gophers. We don't need bad seeds like this.

Except that we do. We need Gary Tinsley badly, he is one of our best defensive players. He needs to be slapped a few times and get his butt kicked by the coaching staff because he is an idiot when it comes to putting himself in bad situations. But we definitely need him in the starting line up come big ten opener or USC.

if we are gonna have more incidents like these in the future I would think that would translate into more wins. Maybe we could create some mathematical forumula that shows the relation between off the field shenanigans and wins. For every off the field incident we have this off season we can expect .5 more wins on the field? It could be a great season:D!

Incorrect

I am not defending Tinsley here, but let's assume the recent reports are true that there is not a DWI charge, and also that Tinsley, as a first time offender gets the felony fleeing police pled down to a misdemeanor of some kind. If that is the case Tinsley's crimes pale in comparison to Royce White being busted for theft twice in a week.

White pleaded the shoplifting down to a misdemeanor as well, and he wasn't busted 'twice' for theft, the second one was a relatively bogus 'dorm tresspassing' that they took months to resolve.

All I want is equal treatment for all sports. Both basketball players got very heavy punishments for thier actions (or alleged actions in Mbakwe's case). Yet Brewster was allowed to discipline some players 'internally' such as Michael Carter who missed no playing time. If GT is charged with anything, he should be suspended until they are resolved, which if the U police are involved could take years. And if it's true it's not his first offense, then cut him loose.

If he doesnt get punished then we're no Brewster fits in the same ballpark with Bielema albeit a tight squeeze because of his fat ass, Casillas got busted for this and never received punishment, I really dont wanna be like wisconsin

Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota have all had their fair share of bad behavior from players over the last few years. Iowa 07-08 was bad and Wisconsin just seems to annually have a few players kicked off their team or suspended. Minnesota is just having a bad stretch from 09-present.

The saddest thing about this story was that a d-1 athelte couldn't outrun a rent a cop.

If we are going to recruit knuckleheads and convicts, at least get an upper division finish in the Big 10 for it.

Who was it that was remarking how disciplined Brew had our team as compared to Cal last September?

1st off he´s charged with fleeing the police. That´s one felony, that´s it. Since it´s his first time it´ll get plead down.

Those talking about drunk driving and running from the police make it sound like a high speed pursuit out of ¨America´s wildest police chases¨, when I suspect it´s more likely a kid returning home a couple blocks from a party on campus, in some low traffic residential neighborhood on a moped, which is why he was going the wrong way (when you were 19 and lived one or two blocks up the street would you really have gone an extra 8 blocks out of your way if there´s no one around at 1am?). Then the cop likely surpsied him and he tried to flee and mde it 20 feet before the cop caught up with him. Not exactly grounds for calling in a chopper and laying out tire spikes.

Then we have the basketball folks who seem to want to transfer their frustration and anger with Maturi onto Gary Tinsley. It´s clear from the Royce and Trevor references that since they got raw deals, that they want Tinsley to get shafted too. That´s just petty and vindictive. Trevor is accused of smashing a girl in the face and then trying to pull her pants off. That´s a lot more serious than driving a moped like an idiot. Trevor´s trial has been complicated by shaky witnesses, delays, distance, etc. Royce had a track record of d-baggery before he got to the U. Then was convicted of shoplifting, which in of itself was not such a big deal, but it was the assault on the security guard and his complete lack of remorse that upped the ante. Then Royce was bounced from the dorms twice for acting like an idiot, then the third time he was allegedly involved in another robbery. Then he refused to cooperate with the investigatio and quit when things got tough. He didn´t get kicked off of team. Tinsley´s case will be straight forward, get handled lickety split and he´ll be fine to play in September whether Gopher fans like it or not.

1st off he´s charged with fleeing the police. That´s one felony, that´s it. Since it´s his first time it´ll get plead down.

Those talking about drunk driving and running from the police make it sound like a high speed pursuit out of ¨America´s wildest police chases¨, when I suspect it´s more likely a kid returning home a couple blocks from a party on campus, in some low traffic residential neighborhood on a moped, which is why he was going the wrong way (when you were 19 and lived one or two blocks up the street would you really have gone an extra 8 blocks out of your way if there´s no one around at 1am?). Then the cop likely surpsied him and he tried to flee and mde it 20 feet before the cop caught up with him. Not exactly grounds for calling in a chopper and laying out tire spikes.

Then we have the basketball folks who seem to want to transfer their frustration and anger with Maturi onto Gary Tinsley. It´s clear from the Royce and Trevor references that since they got raw deals, that they want Tinsley to get shafted too. That´s just petty and vindictive. Trevor is accused of smashing a girl in the face and then trying to pull her pants off. That´s a lot more serious than driving a moped like an idiot. Trevor´s trial has been complicated by shaky witnesses, delays, distance, etc. Royce had a track record of d-baggery before he got to the U. Then was convicted of shoplifting, which in of itself was not such a big deal, but it was the assault on the security guard and his complete lack of remorse that upped the ante. Then Royce was bounced from the dorms twice for acting like an idiot, then the third time he was allegedly involved in another robbery. Then he refused to cooperate with the investigatio and quit when things got tough. He didn´t get kicked off of team. Tinsley´s case will be straight forward, get handled lickety split and he´ll be fine to play in September whether Gopher fans like it or not.

Guess it's a safe bet you are not a spokesperson for the MPD:

"University of Minnesota junior linebacker Gary Tinsley was charged with two felony counts of fleeing police and three misdemeanors, including driving while intoxicated, after a Sunday morning chase on a moped and on foot in Minneapolis, according to a Minneapolis police report."

Suspensions..................

If any of you cats think the Gopher program is going through pure hell, please check out the...

Fulmer Cup Scoreboard

I guarantee you will get some good laughs as well as what many of the other programs around the country are going through.

The Gophers are not even close to some programs. Check out the Fulmer Cup Scoreboard. Please.

Guess it's a safe bet you are not a spokesperson for the MPD:

"University of Minnesota junior linebacker Gary Tinsley was charged with two felony counts of fleeing police and three misdemeanors, including driving while intoxicated, after a Sunday morning chase on a moped and on foot in Minneapolis, according to a Minneapolis police report."

People I trust are saying everything but the felony fleeing police has already been dropped.

As for Fulmer cup, Gophers have three on the processing (Maresh x2, Tinsley) and they haven't picked up on Theret at all. We are in the top 5 if they get all that.

As for Fulmer cup, Gophers have three on the processing (Maresh x2, Tinsley) and they haven't picked up on Theret at all. We are in the top 5 if they get all that.

The incident with Whaley and Wynn after the Bowl game also isn't counted from what I can see.

love me some troll

its nice to know that some things will never change, gopher football and this site crack me up! way to go gopher LB crew, at least they will be able to have yard time together.

Top Bottom