Great! Tinsley DUI, Fleeing Police..

I love it. This program is always good for some laughs in the off-season.

Hey you never responded to my question in the basketball thread. You gave Tubby's recruiting class a C- and I asked what grade you give the badgers class since theirs looks the same or worse. D+?

Jesus Christ. Enough already. I wrote a column about all that crap that has gone wrong this year and was told that this type of thing happens at every program in the nation. Not at this frequency it doesn't. Horrible, horrible offseason and most likely the beginning of the end for Brewster. I like the guy and want him to succeed, but this is getting out of hand.

This is what happens when you need to recruit good athletes with character issues because the players who have great character are snatched up right away by the high end programs.

Hey you never responded to my question in the basketball thread. You gave Tubby's recruiting class a C- and I asked what grade you give the badgers class since theirs looks the same or worse. D+?

Yes I did

Similar thing happened at buckyville in November only they got away and all charges dropped.

In November 2009, a police report shows Harris drew suspicion for ditching a moped in the middle of the street, in the middle of the night, and later lying about it. A UW-Madison police officer said he began following a moped with two persons on it, as a saturday night turned to sunday, but never activated his lights or siren.The report states as soon as the squad got behind the moped, the two men just dropped the moped on Mills Street and ran. Records show police tracked the moped to another Badger, who said it was not stolen, simply loaned to Shelby Harris.

And when investigators caught up with Harris, a report states Harris told them he had attempted to report the moped as stolen, but had been bounced between local police departments and gave up. But the police didn’t. “I urged Harris to be honest with us as to what really happened, telling him we did not believe his story,” an officer wrote. Officers said Harris eventually admitted he was on the moped with a friend, dumped it and ran over being “scared” at the sight of police.

But Harris denied any fright was brought on by drinking and driving. The interview with Harris was many hours after the fact, with apparently no way to determine if alcohol or any other intoxicant could have been a factor in the moped driving.

UW police officers simply dropped the case.

“Ofc…told HARRIS to inform his coach of his actions (,) being completely truthful with his coach.” The same coach who had two players convicted of operating while intoxicated on mopeds in 2008.

We’ve tried to reach Harris to find out if he revealed to coach Bielema what he did, as a redshirt freshman back in Madison, while Bielema and Harris’ teammates were in Bloomington outlasting Indiana, 31-28.

They get away with everything down there. Those dudes were up to no good.

Remain calm. This really isn´t that big of a deal and I´ll tell you why.

Because Tinsley has never been convicted of a crime at this point (charges from one previous incident were dropped I believe?) so he´s a first strike guy in the eyes of the law. They´ve already dropped the DUI so now it´s just evading the police. I´m no lawyer but I imagine It´ll get pled down to a misdemenor and something like 40 hours of community service and an alcohol awareness class.

While Tinsley´s not going to get in any real trouble with the law, he IS goiing to be in trouble with Brew! The cops may have dropped the charges but it´s still Tinsley´s second incident that´s caused embarassment for the team. That said Brew´s gotta win now, so it´s no time to be making examples of people. This should merit something like a two game suspension for the first two non conference games. Maybe just the spring game and the opener? This is not dimissal stuff.

As for the legal issues under Brew, we´re still light years behind the top NCAA teams. If we want to be a NYD bowl team we need to get comfortable with the fact that NYD bowl teams have more legal issues than we´re accustomed to having. Some won´t like to hear this but it´s the truth. If you want pure student athletes then get season tickets to a MIAC school.

At least we know the other driver wasn't a Gopher running back.

rim-shot-johnny-utah.jpg

Because Tinsley has never been convicted of a crime at this point (charges from one previous incident were dropped I believe?) so he´s a first strike guy in the eyes of the law. They´ve already dropped the DUI so now it´s just evading the police. I´m no lawyer but I imagine It´ll get pled down to a misdemenor and something like 40 hours of community service and an alcohol awareness class.

While Tinsley´s not going to get in any real trouble with the law, he IS goiing to be in trouble with Brew! The cops may have dropped the charges but it´s still Tinsley´s second incident that´s caused embarassment for the team. That said Brew´s gotta win now, so it´s no time to be making examples of people. This should merit something like a two game suspension for the first two non conference games. Maybe just the spring game and the opener? This is not dimissal stuff.

As for the legal issues under Brew, we´re still light years behind the top NCAA teams. If we want to be a NYD bowl team we need to get comfortable with the fact that NYD bowl teams have more legal issues than we´re accustomed to having. Some won´t like to hear this but it´s the truth. If you want pure student athletes then get season tickets to a MIAC school.

Really? Northwestern has been to more New Years Day Bowls than Minnesota in recent memory. They are as close to pure student athletes as you are going to get in DI.

He should be dismissed, it is a terrible message to send to the team and community that if you are a major contributor that these issues will be overlooked. I als understand that most teams have issues but this past year is definitely on the high end for a program with the number of issues off the field.

He should be dismissed, it is a terrible message to send to the team and community that if you are a major contributor that these issues will be overlooked. I als understand that most teams have issues but this past year is definitely on the high end for a program with the number of issues off the field.
Actually, it's not. Not even close. Oregon?

I guess you haven't heard of Florida (or don't they count because they have Jesus aka Tebow and Joseph aka Urban Meyer)

CRG - I do agree with you as far as the legal ramifications. I don't think much will happen in that respect.

As far as what Brew should do - I differ with you. And this is if what is being reported is true - and he is guilty of it (as of right now, he is only charged). If this isn't dismissal stuff, what is? We are not talking about the kid getting a drinking ticket here. We are talking about two felonies and three misdemeanors (after an incident last fall). Keep in mind - we have a guy on the basketball team charged with a felony and by all accounts, appears to be innocent, but sat our for a year (there has to be some consistency).

The fact is, we're not a New Year's Day bowl team - yet we certainly see to have the legal issues. I completely understand you take the good with the bad, and to get talent here, Brew had to take risks on a number of kids...but they simply don't seem to be panning out. We're not winning on the field, and we're certainly not being represented well off the field.

Edit: Looks like we're tied for 21st in the Fulmer Cup http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Fulmer_Cup

I said it was on the high end, not the highest.
We're not even in the Top 20 of the Fulmer Cup for 2010 and didn't even register for 2009. I'm not making a joke out of it but it's not time to hit the panic button as an out of control program just yet.

We're not even in the Top 20 of the Fulmer Cup for 2010 and didn't even register for 2009. I'm not making a joke out of it but it's not time to hit the panic button as an out of control program just yet.

I wouldn't say I am hitting the panic button but a precedent needs to be set that this type of behavior is unacceptable and the players need to be told that booze is off limits to them. Some of these players have clearly not learned from their teammates mistakes.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens here.

Because he has been charged with a felony -- or in this case felonies -- the athletic department policy is that he has to be suspended until he legal proceedings have been cleared up. That's why Trevor Mbakwe didn't play all year for the basketball team.

I can't imagine that Maturi is going to allow Tinsley to play until it resolved. And if the court case drags on, this could impact things going into next season.

I wouldn't say I am hitting the panic button but a precedent needs to be set that this type of behavior is unacceptable and the players need to be told that booze is off limits to them. Some of these players have clearly not learned from their teammates mistakes.
I hate to say it but they're college kids, stuff like this happens with college kids, they drink and they do stupid stuff. I'm not sure that kicking a kid off the team is going to change that.

The real question is, do we switch Tinsley's nickname from Hacksaw to Moped? We can speculate all day on what could happen, but we won't know until actual punishment is meted out. Until then, continue to enjoy/cringe at the spontaniety of Gopher football.

When I was in college, I knew at least 5 friends from an extended circle get DUIs. You'd think the grievous mistake of one would prevent future occurances, but sadly, it doesn't. Kids do stupid things.

I hate to say it but they're college kids, stuff like this happens with college kids, they drink and they do stupid stuff. I'm not sure that kicking a kid off the team is going to change that.

Amzingly though most people make it through college and life without getting arrested, much less running from the police. Condoning it because they are in college is not an excuse.

When I was in college, I knew at least 5 friends from an extended circle get DUIs. You'd think the grievous mistake of one would prevent future occurances, but sadly, it doesn't. Kids do stupid things.

How many of them ran from the police and how many of them had multiple run-ins?

How many of them ran from the police and how many of them had multiple run-ins?
Some of these guys had multiple run-ins, including more than one DUI charge. All before they were 23.

Some of these guys had multiple run-ins, including more than one DUI charge. All before they were 23.

Sounds like guys then you wouldn't want representing the university especially if they were under scholarship and having their tuition paid by the school they are supposed to represent in a postive light. Also were your friends charged with felonies or misdemeanors?

Sounds like guys then you wouldn't want representing the university especially if they were under scholarship and having their tuition paid by the school they are supposed to represent in a postive light. Also were your friends charged with felonies or misdemeanors?
Maybe if the whole team were getting arrested for DUIs, theft, armed robbery, aggravated assault, resisting arrest, etc., I would agree with your point. We'll see if Tinsley ever gets charged with a felony, his ONE charge as listed from the Hennepin County Sheriff will likely get plead down. Given that he wasn't even suspended for the first incident, this is probably Tinsley's last strike. As for my buddies, I didn't pay attention to whether they were charged with felonies or misdemeanors; all I know is they did some bad things, as did I, when I was a youngster.

you think that was bad? just wait until this weekend, guaranteed player trouble with spring jam going down

Top Bottom