Great! Tinsley DUI, Fleeing Police..

The incident with Whaley and Wynn after the Bowl game also isn't counted from what I can see.

No, because they were before the National Title game, thus still in-season incidents and not counted toward the Fulmer Cup.

If we are going to recruit knuckleheads and convicts, at least get an upper division finish in the Big 10 for it.
r?

Yep - If were gonna have some bad kids, at least they could produce on the field.

Knuckleheads and convicts? Bad kids? How many of you have a DUI to your credit. How many of the others have a close friend or relative who owns at least one? How many are buddies with someone who has attempted to escape the police? I don't have a DUI, but I have lifelong friends who got one and know plenty of other people as well. It hasn't made them knuckleheads and convicts. I'm getting a lot more upset with hypocrites on this board than with kids who make the same mistakes other kids are making. It's about how they turn out, not necessarily how angelic they are en route. Grow some brains and show a little human civility.

"Grow some brains" Good advice for our football delinquents.

Knuckleheads and convicts? Bad kids? How many of you have a DUI to your credit. How many of the others have a close friend or relative who owns at least one? How many are buddies with someone who has attempted to escape the police? I don't have a DUI, but I have lifelong friends who got one and know plenty of other people as well. It hasn't made them knuckleheads and convicts. I'm getting a lot more upset with hypocrites on this board than with kids who make the same mistakes other kids are making. It's about how they turn out, not necessarily how angelic they are en route. Grow some brains and show a little human civility.

You might want to GT to grow some brains and stop trying to run from the police and to larn from his previous run-in. I think most people probably know someone that has gotten a DUI but can honestly say I do not know anyone that has been charged with multiple felonies much less arrested twice in a year. I like the logic that because you know someone that has done the same that it is okay. Where does it stop then, DUI, fleeing police, assault are OK but certain other crimes aren't? Or you could I don't know use the laws that have been created as a guideline. If GT was a walk-on practice player would you be defending this behavior with the same zeal, I think not.

I could care less what these guys do as long as they perform on the field. Tinsley is going to be very good this year, so no need to suspend him. Besides, any good coach in college football knows he needs to run a renegade program.

Thanks Drinone, that is the attitude that has gotten programs in trouble in the past.

Let the school handle these situations. If an English major was charged with a couple non-violent felonies, would the professor ban them from class? No. It's up to the school. Brewster's job is to win games, and if Tinsley is ruled eligible and is the best option, it is his job to get him on the field. If the U wants to suspend him from school, that is their right but if he has to go to class, he should be allowed to play football.

If an English major was charged with a couple non-violent felonies, would the professor ban them from class?

?

I don't see what that has to do with the price of rice in China.

First of all, to compare athletes, especially in football and basketball, to the average student, is an exercise in futility. The "student" in student-athlete is cursory at best. You might as well compare being President of the U.S. to being mayor of Wasilla, AK.

Second, these young men are receiving a free education to play a kid's game. They are held to a higher standard. If you had said "English major on a full academic scholarship", then your comparison would be slightly more valid. But a high-level division I football player cannot, and should not, be compared in any meaningful way to Joe Q. Student.

yes, i know of someone who has a dui. in fact he was convicted of it, so technically he was a convict. and i think even he would admit he was being a knucklehead.

i can forgive one dui (although it is more serious than most of you will admit) but fleeing from police while drunk driving is a serious problem.
You might as well compare being President of the U.S. to being mayor of Wasilla, AK.
?
i suppose you meant vice president?
or maybe a 'community organizer' from chicago?

i suppose you meant vice president? or maybe a 'community organizer' from chicago?

I was referring to Palin's own insistence that, in the event of McCain's death, she would be the best prepared of any candidate because of her "executive" experience. I still laugh at that one.

It takes some serious balls to suggest that being a mayor in Podunkville USA is better preparation for President than being a U.S. Senator (Obama or Biden). In much the same way, it takes some cajones to suggest that a football player should be judged by the same standard as the general student population.

I was referring to Palin's own insistence that, in the event of McCain's death, she would be the best prepared of any candidate because of her "executive" experience. I still laugh at that one.

It takes some serious balls to suggest that being a mayor in Podunkville USA is better preparation for President than being a U.S. Senator (Obama or Biden). In much the same way, it takes some cajones to suggest that a football player should be judged by the same standard as the general student population.

dear lord, i can't believe i am going to bite...

you may very well have been referring to that particular insistence, but you did not imply that.

also, it takes some serious balls to suggest that someone who did not grow up or work in a major metropolitan area is by fault less prepared to do anything that someone who did grow up or work in a major metropolitan area is.

also, president obama was a US senator for two years before he announced he was running for president, and from his voting record, actually started running for president since the keynote speech at the 2004 democratic national convention. so, yes. i would say that being a mayor in 'podunk' usa before becoming a governor could very well have prepared her for the hypothetical situation of her becoming president (at which point she would most likely have had several years of experience as a vice president to go along with her previous experience) better than community organizer/state senator/author/campaigner. but i don't want to get between you and your narrow mind.

and i don't even like the lady!

As someone who grew up in Podunkville (graduating HS class of 12 - yes, twelve), and then moved on to a major metro area, I am more than qualified to speak to this. And yes, it absolutely does matter. It's not a matter of intelligence or sophistication - it's a matter of scope. Dealing with getting the moose carcass cleaned off the junction of 12 and 85 is slightly different than negotiating multi-billion dollar appropriations bills, serving a constituency of millions, and having your every move dissected by national and international media. Running the local convenience store does not prepare you to be CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Sorry.

And before certain people get their panties in a twist, this is absolutely a relevant discussion. It's small-time vs. big-time. This isn't intramurals, and it isn't Augsburg. It's the BIG TEN. Players are held to a higher standard. Am I saying Tinsley should be done? No - but if he even sneezes the wrong way in the next 2 years, he's gone.

i can forgive one dui (although it is more serious than most of you will admit) but fleeing from police while drunk driving is a serious problem.
?

I do not know the law, but running from the cops, a felony? I've watched "Cops" a few times and everyone runs from them. Most of those people are just ignorant drunks (what Tinsley did would put him in this category), and I don;t think that they should be charged with a felony for that(now I'm sure I'll hear why I'm wrong, I'm a willing listener).

Yep, better shoehorn my nascent political beliefs into this sports conversation that should help encourage good discussion.

Yep, better shoehorn my nascent political beliefs into this sports conversation that should help encourage good discussion.

Yes, I guess you could classify someone who earned a political science degree nearly a decade ago as having "nascent" beliefs.

Get a clue.

Or better yet, dazzle us with some more of your pseudo-intellectualism. That always brings a lot to the table.

I always enjoy your bi-monthly postings.

Or better yet, dazzle us with some more of your pseudo-intellectualism. That always brings a lot to the table.

I always enjoy your bi-monthly postings.

I actually do enjoy his bi-monthly posts. Wish he posted more. I like your posts as well dpodoll. I like a lot of things after a really good cup of coffee...which I just enjoyed.

Let the school handle these situations. If an English major was charged with a couple non-violent felonies, would the professor ban them from class? No. It's up to the school. Brewster's job is to win games, and if Tinsley is ruled eligible and is the best option, it is his job to get him on the field. If the U wants to suspend him from school, that is their right but if he has to go to class, he should be allowed to play football.

You have it backwards. If you're suspended from school, that means you can't play football, but it doesn't follow that just because you haven't been suspended from classes doesn't mean you can play football. At least in principle, everyone enrolled is there to attend classes, with sports and other things being extracurricular activities. The fact that some athletes only consider classes as something they must endure in order to play football doesn't change this.

An English major was charged with a couple non-violent felonies wouldn't be banned from class unless the university suspended them, but that's not analogous to being suspended from football. The Enligh major might be suspended from extracurricular activities, just like the football player might be suspended from football.

I'm not supporting what Tinsley did, but think back to when you were in college. You are at a party and the cops raided it with red lights flashing all over. How many of you didn't run??? How many sat there and said "I 'm underage and drunk but I will just sit and be caught. Again, I'm not saying it's right, just what drunk young kids do.

"Grow some brains" Good advice for our football delinquents.

Yes, thank you Mr. or Ms. Perfect. Cliches have been coined for a reason. I suggest a bunch of you review the one about throwing stones and glass houses.

?

I don't see what that has to do with the price of rice in China.

First of all, to compare athletes, especially in football and basketball, to the average student, is an exercise in futility. The "student" in student-athlete is cursory at best. You might as well compare being President of the U.S. to being mayor of Wasilla, AK.

Second, these young men are receiving a free education to play a kid's game. They are held to a higher standard. If you had said "English major on a full academic scholarship", then your comparison would be slightly more valid. But a high-level division I football player cannot, and should not, be compared in any meaningful way to Joe Q. Student.

I can't believe I'm doing this. It's going to ruin my reputation for strictness. But I'm more concerned with piling on, double standards and jumping to conclusions. Charges? What are those charges today? Kids playing games and going to school for free? Right. They put nothing into the equation, which is why schools hand out athletic scholarships right and left. BTW, aren't there a few people besides athletes going to school "for free?" What happens to the unbelievable concert violinist when he or she receives a DUI on campus? What happens to - you get it. The person who wrote about leaving it up to the school, and I'm hoping that means a school that will establish a consistent policy applicable to all scholarship students, seems to be closest to spot on than anyone else here, yours truly included.

And I repeat, for those of you who don't understand double standards: There is enough talk about drinking oneself into delirium on this board to cover a dozen citations for DUI, consumption, possession, etc. If Tinsley is a hoodlum, then so is half this board.

I can't believe I'm doing this. It's going to ruin my reputation for strictness. But I'm more concerned with piling on, double standards and jumping to conclusions. Charges? What are those charges today? Kids playing games and going to school for free? Right. They put nothing into the equation, which is why schools hand out athletic scholarships right and left. BTW, aren't there a few people besides athletes going to school "for free?" What happens to the unbelievable concert violinist when he or she receives a DUI on campus? What happens to - you get it. The person who wrote about leaving it up to the school, and I'm hoping that means a school that will establish a consistent policy applicable to all scholarship students, seems to be closest to spot on than anyone else here, yours truly included.

And I repeat, for those of you who don't understand double standards: There is enough talk about drinking oneself into delirium on this board to cover a dozen citations for DUI, consumption, possession, etc. If Tinsley is a hoodlum, then so is half this board.

Way beyond college age, but I even know there's a general student code of conduct that addresses how breaking the law is dealt with by the University. I am also pretty sure there are policies for non-athletic scholarship students that are probably pretty similar to the athletic department's. These policies might allow for a bit of flexibility but people whining about "double standards" are showing the emotional maturity of 13 year olds.

Two other points. One, the violinist isn't in an activity that is covered extensively by the media and has performances that are televised and broadcast. While both are representatives of the University, Tinsley is a hell of a lot more in the public eye. Two, chances are that the violinist doesn't have fellow orchestra members who have also made the news for drinking and fighting. One or two incidents aren't that big a deal, but it's the pattern that troubles some people. (Seriously doubt the violinist would have carried a 2x4 into a street brawl, anyway.)

Your statement about half the board is one of the most idiotic ones ever posted. A few yahoos post about what's the big deal, my friends and I have gotten drunk, look at other teams, etc. and half the board are hoodlums? The emotional maturity of a 13 year old might be a couple of years generous in your case.

Two, chances are that the violinist doesn't have fellow orchestra members who have also made the news for drinking and fighting. One or two incidents aren't that big a deal, but it's the pattern that troubles some people. (Seriously doubt the violinist would have carried a 2x4 into a street brawl, anyway.)

I personally would rather see two drunken violinist's fight than drunken football players.

You don't want to get caught into the middle when the violinists get into a brawl. All it takes is for someone to shout out "Beethoven SUCKS!", and then you had better find a music stand to hide behind, because they don't take any prisoners. The viola players are stronger, but those violin players are vicious.

Then there are the cymbal players. Sneaky bastard. You're minding your own business, and WHAM! You're head is slammed up between two cymbals. And you think those piccolo players are harmless? Don't turn your backs on them, or that piccolo is going right through your ribs.

jump_the_shark.png

Top Bottom