Gophers #112 in initial KenPom rankings

Why would I lie? I will get a copy of the check… A staff member actually

Yes, the preseason ranks are major guesses, especially in the portal era. I think of the rankings on sites like Kenpom and t-rank as the midpoint of the range of possible ranks. In other words, it could be 50 ranks higher or lower. As the season goes on, the range gets tighter based on more data.

And yes, the score predictors on those sites are rarely more than a couple points off the Vegas spread.

The offense and defense efficiency ranks are what interest me more than the rank. Those have a lot of noise in the beginning of the season, too, of course. The teams that advance deep in the tourney are almost always elite in one or the other or both.
Appreciate it.

Have you any data accross seasons? Both Off and def efficiency? I guess it would be nice to kniow tiers by season top 10, 25, top 64, etc.Tet to figure out some benchmarks.

Appreciate it.

Have you any data accross seasons? Both Off and def efficiency? I guess it would be nice to kniow tiers by season top 10, 25, top 64, etc.Tet to figure out some benchmarks.
The data is all there. There's roughly 360 teams, so anything in the top 36 is in the top 10%. This is from t-rank (Champion and runner up):

2023: UConn was #3 offense and #9 defense. San Diego St. was only #61 offense, but #4 defense.
'22: Kansas #5/#13, UNC #17/#33
'21: Baylor #2/#25, Gonzaga #1/#11
'19: UVa #2/#9, Texas Tech #17/#1

There's 8 teams listed and only one has either metric not in the top 36.

Minnesota was #218/#193 last year, fwiw

Bad loss for the Tommies a couple nights ago vs. Cal Poly. That one stings.

Need to salvage the final game in the MTE tonight vs. undefeated Portland State.

Gophs move up to #103 after a nice win. Tommies move all the way up to #265 despite losing their second in a row.
People who put down UST this way miss the point entirely. At no point should a Summit League team, especially one that is making its debut into D-1, be ranked anywhere near a B1G team. If it happens, it is a reflection of the B1G team, not the Summit League team (and certainly if they’re ranked in the 200s). If Michigan were ever ranked near Oakland, or Creighton near Omaha, or Wisconsin or Marquette near Milwaukee, that would be more about the power team being horrid. Do you think Creighton fans care enough about Omaha to actively root for them to fail like this? The answer is no. People shouldn’t care where UST is ranked because they’re irrelevant from a Gopher fan perspective. Rooting for UST is like rooting for the St. Paul Saints. Do people actively root against the Saints to puff themselves up that the Twins are better?

The fact that UST passed MN in the rankings at some point last year was just totally embarrassing. People mocked the Gophs relentlessly, and rightly so. It was 10x more about mocking than it was pro-UST. But somehow this triggered some people to be anti-UST.

That is pretty much what is being said, there was an article in SI or some similar magazine that interviewed assistant coaches about NIL and they were quoted as saying that high major transfers were getting in the 200k range.

I was high when I transferred majors and got nothing. Must be a sign of the times.

Gophs move up to #103 after a nice win. Tommies move all the way up to #265 despite losing their second in a row.
This is where the CBJ apology tour is now. They brag when we beat USC Upstate and have a better team than St Thomas. No program or coach in the history of the Big 10 has had lower expectations.

This is where the CBJ apology tour is now. They brag when we beat USC Upstate and have a better team than St Thomas. No program or coach in the history of the Big 10 has had lower expectations.
It wouldn’t surprise me that some NW teams back in the day had a lower ceiling.

Let my homie Voltaire break it down for you -
“Doubt is uncomfortable, while certainty is insane.”

People who put down UST this way miss the point entirely. At no point should a Summit League team, especially one that is making its debut into D-1, be ranked anywhere near a B1G team. If it happens, it is a reflection of the B1G team, not the Summit League team (and certainly if they’re ranked in the 200s). If Michigan were ever ranked near Oakland, or Creighton near Omaha, or Wisconsin or Marquette near Milwaukee, that would be more about the power team being horrid. Do you think Creighton fans care enough about Omaha to actively root for them to fail like this? The answer is no. People shouldn’t care where UST is ranked because they’re irrelevant from a Gopher fan perspective. Rooting for UST is like rooting for the St. Paul Saints. Do people actively root against the Saints to puff themselves up that the Twins are better?

The fact that UST passed MN in the rankings at some point last year was just totally embarrassing. People mocked the Gophs relentlessly, and rightly so. It was 10x more about mocking than it was pro-UST. But somehow this triggered some people to be anti-UST.
"Nipping at our heels"

I get your point. I just don't care.
Look around. Do you think you're adding something to the board by being the anti-UST guy? So weird you're triggered by a Summit League team. Maybe I'm wrong about this - anyone else feel like UST is a rival to be mocked?

Look around. Do you think you're adding something to the board by being the anti-UST guy? So weird you're triggered by a Summit League team. Maybe I'm wrong about this - anyone else feel like UST is a rival to be mocked?
Looking around all I see is other "PomHeads" like myself clicking on the Kenpom thread to get the latest updates. The "ignore" button is a great feature👍

Tommies sux🥴, go Pipers!😉

There's a 50-rank difference between kenpom and t-rank on SF. I don't know what's driving that - I mean, yes, it's early for the analytics sites to be accurate, but there's usually more agreement.

And I'm probably mansplaining a little here, but a team's rank can fluctuate based on the performance of its previous opponents. Mizzou has dropped to #90 on kenpom, which has contributed to MN's drop.

Top Bottom