Gophers #112 in initial KenPom rankings

Here's a look at the KENPOM ratings for the Big1G to start the season:

1698979753564.png

The next closest Big1G team is Penn St at 85. Is this a fair assessment of where the Minn program stands?

Complete rankings: https://kenpom.com/index.php

We are that far behind everyone in the BT? When you hire the failed asst of the failed HC this is the new reality.

Ahhh… I remember you! The guy who apparently has a hard on for UST… and on this board talked about other grown men creaming their jeans.. thanks for the info…

If on a keyboard typing about UST in public you might want to have both hands on the keyboard visible based on your past comments…

UST beats the Gophers last year this year the Gophers win…. Bummed my two favorite teams don’t play…

Gophers at 97. Saint Thomas drops back 12 spots despite their win.
I’m not a huge KenPom guy. I only looked at in conjunction with how it welll it predicted NCAA tournament one year (not well last year when UNC won).

Sounds like the data is especially noisy this time of year? Is that generally true? Maybe, is it for gambling and spreads matter with its utility?

I’m Just curious how people generally use it.

I’m not a huge KenPom guy. I only looked at in conjunction with how it welll it predicted NCAA tournament one year (not well last year when UNC won).

Sounds like the data is especially noisy this time of year? Is that generally true? Maybe, is it for gambling and spreads matter with its utility?

Yes, the preseason ranks are major guesses, especially in the portal era. I think of the rankings on sites like Kenpom and t-rank as the midpoint of the range of possible ranks. In other words, it could be 50 ranks higher or lower. As the season goes on, the range gets tighter based on more data.

And yes, the score predictors on those sites are rarely more than a couple points off the Vegas spread.

The offense and defense efficiency ranks are what interest me more than the rank. Those have a lot of noise in the beginning of the season, too, of course. The teams that advance deep in the tourney are almost always elite in one or the other or both.

Ahhh… I remember you! The guy who apparently has a hard on for UST… and on this board talked about other grown men creaming their jeans.. thanks for the info…

If on a keyboard typing about UST in public you might want to have both hands on the keyboard visible based on your past comments…

UST beats the Gophers last year this year the Gophers win…. Bummed my two favorite teams don’t play…
He's the one that has a hard on for UST? Pot meet kettle...

Just an alumn son… Who wants to see his two favorite teams plays… but one is scared 🤷🏾‍♂️… I have watched both teams in person this year and watched both on line once…

People here tend to use it when it fits a narrative. Particularly, to show that the tommies are on the same level as the Gophers. Unfortunately for st. thomas fans its not as helpful so far this season.

People here tend to use it when it fits a narrative. Particularly, to show that the tommies are on the same level as the Gophers. Unfortunately for st. thomas fans its not as helpful so far this season.
Agree like you did last year.. like another poster pointed out to you.. That didn’t age well…

KenPom is also worthless for about the first half of every season. But you're right, you are trying to use it to fit a narrative.

Agree.. so let’s say you use year end final 2023 KenPom rankings and one team is 202 and the other is 216… it’s more of a valid indicator to state one’s narrative….
KenPom is also worthless for about the first half of every season. But you're right, you are trying to use it to fit a narrative.

Agree.. so let’s say you use year end final 2023 KenPom rankings and one team is 202 and the other is 216… it’s more of a valid indicator to state one’s narrative….
Should we factor in when the teams only good player leaves?

Actually I was not a Jamo guy…so I can’t contradict myself to fit my narrative.. Yes Rohde got $450K… foolish if he didn’t..

Top Bottom