Four-star Illinois running back Mar’Keise Irving commits to the Gophers

I'm 54 y.o. and know I sound ridiculous saying this...but, Duuuude!

If you're not using phrases out of context so the young folks won't know what phrases to abandon.

I'm highly productive in that area.

Looks good on film...Rivals has him a 3-star...huge difference maker? Time will tell.

Between Thomas and now Irving the RB room is in amazing shape! Outside of Mo, guys like Williams, Wiley, Potts and Williamson are gonna have to work their butts off to get the ball in 2021 and beyond. Would not be surprised to see a couple position changes/transfers out of the group

These are always such absurdly hilarious posts.

w
These are always such absurdly hilarious posts.

What's absurd or hilarious? They already had mentioned the possibility of Williamson moving to D and Potts moving to WR.

Regardless, you think guys are going to want to be the 5th or 6th guys on the RB depth chart for multiple years? Everyone I listed has a big shot to make moves on the depth chart in 2020. Come 2021, with Thomas and Irving both in the mix, it's going to be a battle for all involved. With the amount of roster churn we are seeing every year, its crazy to think this wouldn't affect the RB room.

What I said is 100% spot on.

w

What's absurd or hilarious? They already had mentioned the possibility of Williamson moving to D and Potts moving to WR.

Regardless, you think guys are going to want to be the 5th or 6th guys on the RB depth chart for multiple years? Everyone I listed has a big shot to make moves on the depth chart in 2020. Come 2021, with Thomas and Irving both in the mix, it's going to be a battle for all involved. With the amount of roster churn we are seeing every year, its crazy to think this wouldn't affect the RB room.

Hard to say 100% if you will be right but it certainly is possible and certainly is not absurd.

Hard to say 100% if you will be right but it certainly is possible and certainly is not absurd.

Also, this is a message board for analysis and speculation. I guess @highwayman felt that my opinion meant that I also sent an email to all the players on the RB depth chart telling them that their time is running out. ?

w

I don't think position changes are easy for most players. Most players are put at their best position so if they can't contribute there it's unlikely they would have an impact at another spot. If I were forced to bet on it, I would bet that at least one RB transfers.

I don't think position changes are easy for most players. Most players are put at their best position so if they can't contribute there it's unlikely they would have an impact at another spot. If I were forced to bet on it, I would bet that at least one RB transfers.

This is a good point. I really think attempted position changes come down to how badly a player wants to stay in the program and/or Power 5. We really don't see a ton of guys transferring from the Gophers to another P5 program. if a guy really loves the team/culture/school, I think they're more likely to consider a position change vs. if they really love playing a certain position and just want the best path to playing time.

Added ‘leg work’ helped Gophers’ Fleck land four-star running back

Hillcrest High School football announcer Don Houston has a simple touchdown call for when Mar’Keise “Bucky” Irving scores during home games in suburban Chicago.

“BUCKY FOR THE TOUCHDOWN!”

For how concise and traditional Houston describes it on Friday nights, his words somehow have been used against him in his English classroom on Monday mornings. His students — the fans, cheerleaders and players hearing him on the loudspeaker — say the call has become a bit of a broken record.

“Some of my students would tease me,” Houston said. “A lot of students … say all they would hear me say is ‘Bucky this’ and ‘Bucky that.’ ”

“Well, someone else has to do something!” Houston said in an interview with the Pioneer Press. “Eventually those guys did step up and the rest of the teammates played really well, also.”

Go Gophers!!

Disabato: Minnesota was there when his grandma died. Hillcrest running back Mar’Keise Irving now wants to be there for the Gophers.

For Hillcrest running back Mar’Keise Irving, May 9, 2019, is a day he will never forget.

Mostly for the heartache, but also for an opportunity.

It’s the day Irving’s grandmother, Darlene, died after a short illness. She was just 59.

“She lived with us for 16 years of my life,” Mar’Keise said. “She was always there for me when I needed her. She took care of me like she was my own mother.”

Hillcrest coach Morgan Weaver saw the effects Darlene’s death had on his star player.

“He was devastated,” Weaver said. “He lost the rock of the family. It was a tough process.”

At the worst moment of his life, however, Irving experienced a ray of sunshine.

Later that same day, Minnesota running backs coach Kenni Burns offered him a scholarship.

If you’re a person of faith, you will believe it was Darlene’s spirit helping to console her grandson.
Triumph through tragedy.

“I was really sad and then kind of happy,” Mar’Keise said. “Minnesota knew about my grandma’s passing. They said they wanted to make the day special in some way. It definitely made me feel better.”

Go Gophers!!

Crowded RB room have anything to do with this? (Ibrahim returning)

I think having a different OC could be part of it as well, since he was recruited by Sanford if I'm not mistaken. Maybe he doesn't like the direction Kirk is going with the offense or just doesn't jive with Kirks coaching style.

We better get used to the new normal. A player doesn’t like something, or he thinks he deserves to be the starter. So, he decides to transfer.

Top Bottom