Four-star Illinois running back Mar’Keise Irving commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers received a commitment from four-star Country Club Hills, Illinois running back Mar’Keise Irving. He chose Minnesota over offers from Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Purdue, South Carolina, Wisconsin and others.

Irving is a four-star prospect with a 0.8949 composite rating, according to 24/7 Sports. With the addition of Irving, the Gophers have now landed three players who rank in the top-seven among Illinois recruits (Athan Kaliakmanis - No. 3 in IL, Irving - No. 6 in IL and Sam Jackson - No. 7 in IL).

The 5-foot-10, 175-pound running back has excellent balance and stays on his feet in traffic. Irving frequently breaks tackles and picks up additional yardage. He also occasionally uses a fierce stiff-arm and spin move to extend runs. Irving operates very well in crowded spaces and abruptly makes sharp cuts. He often slams on the brakes, lets defenders pass and redirects runs. His agility and ability to change direction might be two of his best traits. When running to the perimeter, Irving executes his initial cut and makes the first defender miss. On a couple runs, I was impressed with how he read the defense and found backside creases. If you take a bad angle against him, it’s over.

Irving also showed flashes as a receiver off swing passes and other routes. With his elusiveness and ability to break tackles, Irving will fit well within Minnesota’s zone-blocking concepts. He is very tough to bring down in space and has all of the skills to thrive off outside zone. His rushing style reminds me of former Clemson and Cardinals running back Andre Ellington.

Minnesota's 2021 class now ranks No. 4 in 24/7 Sports' team rankings and No. 6 in the composite rankings. If you look at the team rankings, the only programs ahead of the Gophers are Ohio State (No. 1), Tennessee (No. 2) and North Carolina (No. 3).

Here's a look at his film:

Last edited:

Between Thomas and now Irving the RB room is in amazing shape! Outside of Mo, guys like Williams, Wiley, Potts and Williamson are gonna have to work their butts off to get the ball in 2021 and beyond. Would not be surprised to see a couple position changes/transfers out of the group

His highlights are fun! I was constantly saying to myself, "how does he evade these tacklers?" and he somehow would. Great get!

The Gophers received a commitment from four-star Country Club Hills, Illinois running back Mar’Keise Irving. He chose Minnesota over offers from Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Purdue, South Carolina, Wisconsin and others.

Irving is a four-star prospect with a 0.8949 composite rating, according to 24/7 Sports. With the addition of Irving, the Gophers have now landed three players who rank in the top-seven among Illinois recruits (Athan Kaliakmanis - No. 3, Irving - No. 6 and Sam Jackson - No. 7).

The 5-foot-10, 175-pound running back has excellent balance and stays on his feet in traffic. Irving has a knack for breaking tackles and picking up additional yardage. He also occasionally uses a fierce stiff-arm and spin move to extend runs. Irving operates very well in crowded spaces and abruptly makes sharp cuts. He often slams on the breaks, lets defenders pass and redirects runs. His agility and ability to change direction might be two of his best traits. When running to the perimeter, Irving executes his initial cut and makes the first defender miss. On a couple runs, I was impressed with how he read the defense and found backside creases. If you take a bad angle against him, it’s over.

Irving also showed flashes as a receiver off swing passes and other routes. With his elusiveness and ability to break tackles, Irving will fit well within Minnesota’s zone-blocking concepts. He is very tough to bring down in space and has all of the skills to thrive off outside zone. His rushing style reminds me of former Clemson and Cardinals running back Andre Ellington.

Minnesota's class now ranks No. 4 in 24/7 Sports' team ranking and No. 6 in the composite rankings. If you look at the team rankings, the only programs ahead of the Gophers are Ohio State (No. 1), Tennessee (No. 2) and North Carolina (No. 3).

Here's a look at his film:

THIS IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Between Thomas and now Irving the RB room is in amazing shape! Outside of Mo, guys like Williams, Wiley, Potts and Williamson are gonna have to work their butts off to get the ball in 2021 and beyond. Would not be surprised to see a couple position changes/transfers out of the group
I think Potts could be a good player out of the slot

hqdefault.jpg

His highlights are fun! I was constantly saying to myself, "how does he evade these tacklers?" and he somehow would. Great get!

I was really struck by his balance. His ability to change direction quickly at contact and stay upright is pretty amazing.

Huge addition to this class as it basically looks like he had his pick of Big Ten Schools. I always love seeing recruits with lots of interest from other teams in the BIG.

A Cameron James commitment would be nice to start.
Followed by a Joe Alt, Austin Barber, and then capped with a Jaydon Hood and Jamari Buddin. Wouldn’t mind landing Jake Ratzlaff either.

As I have alluded to a couple of years ago - for the Gophers to compete (consistently - fify) at B1G West title level, they have to be above 200 Recruiting Points and an Average Composite Class Rating of 87 and above on 247SPorts.

With the Mar'Keise Irving commitment, they are already at 199.28 Points and 87.59 Average Composite Ratings.

Last edited:

Wow. I know they're only high school kids trying to tackle him, but come on.

As Daniel said he looks perfect for our zone blocking concept! Very nice patience for a Junior in High School!

The Gophers have team speed on both side of the ball. :p

Outstanding! His video is very impressive. Welcome aboard! Row the boat!

As I have alluded to a couple of years ago - for the Gophers to compete at B1G West title level, they have to be above 200 Recruiting Points and an Average Composite Class Rating of 87 and above on 247SPorts.

With the Mar'Keise Irving commitment, they are already at 199.28 Points and 87.59 Average Composite Ratings.
We competed for one last year....

Dumb comment.

Top Bottom